• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

Arde5643

jamesinclair said:
A quick look at the PS2 should explain why.

1. PS2 GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
2. PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS
3. PS2 GUITAR HERO AEROSMITH* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
4. PS2 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
5. PS2 KINGDOM HEARTS RE: CHAIN OF MEMORIES SQUARE ENIX INC
6. PS2 WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009 THQ
7. PS2 NBA 2K9 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
8. PS2 ROCK BAND 2 MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS
9. PS2 GRAND THEFT AUTO: SAN ANDREAS TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
10. PS2 ROCK BAND* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS

Its what happens when you screw over the customers two years in a row. Theyll reward your rival in a big way.
Wow, interesting. Dang, Harmonix and MTV are losing a lot of money for sure from all of those potential goldmine sales in Wii and PS2.

Joe211 said:
On one hand MS is selling tons of softwares on his machine even if the 360 suffer from piracy on the other hand Sony have only 1 game in the top 20 with a system that can't be pirated.
I don't see another explanation besides that Casual are buying PS3 more than 360.

..I'm honestly at a loss as to how to approach this.

Arde5643

Opiate said:
I'll make a fairly bold prediction and say that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will not be released on the Wii.
Probably - judging at how retarded western publishers have been on the Wii.

soldat7

Opiate said:
I'll make a fairly bold prediction and say that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will not be released on the Wii.

I'm sure it will be but Infinity Ward probably won't be doing it.

Joe211 said:
On one hand MS is selling tons of softwares on his machine even if the 360 suffer from piracy on the other hand Sony have only 1 game in the top 20 with a system that can't be pirated.
I don't see another explanation besides that Casual are buying PS3 more than 360.

2056u03.gif

Joe211 said:
*boggle*

shouldn't the Wii have the LEAST software in the top 20 since it is undoubtedly the MOST casual system by this 'logic'?

Arde5643

soldat7 said:
I'm sure it will be but IW won't be doing it.
With Conduit coming up and looking like it will be a solid FPS with full featured multiplayers, I wonder if Wii owners will still be receptive to half-assed FPS ports.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Joe211 said:
On one hand MS is selling tons of softwares on his machine even if the 360 suffer from piracy on the other hand Sony have only 1 game in the top 20 with a system that can't be pirated. I don't see another explanation besides that Casual are buying PS3 more than 360.

Oh... my... god.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Opiate said:
If it uses the COD4 engine and their claims of a ported COD4 engine on Wii are true then I think your prediction will be wrong, its free money at that point and lets face it this is Activision we are talking about.

dacuk

Joe211 said:
Yes I can have both.

People are buying arcade model and then they begin to understand their unit is not complete they need and HDD and a live subscription this is the hidden cost Sony is talking about.

This is not true.
I bought my X360 Arcade to play SF4, and I just need to buy another controller for it.
No need of HDD, and for my case, no need of Xbox Live (I prefer to compete with my friends offline)

Joe211 said:
Europe is not UK am I right?

Your assumption is not a fact you don't know if the 360 is outselling the PS3

and wtf? Japan is still the second market in videogames sales afaik

The majority of casual don't buy a 360

Do you really think a 8k a week (24 or 32k a month) is really going to make that much of a difference? The 360 still beat the PS3 if you added the extra sales of Japan.

Flyguy

On one hand MS is selling tons of softwares on its machine even if the 360 suffers from piracy on the other hand Sony have only 1 game in the top 20 with a system that can't be pirated. Also, I really like butterscotch pudding. Draw you own conclusions.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Joe211 said:

jjasper said:
Jesus PS3 software sales are horrible.

Remember the days when the Top 10 were mostly 360 games, a two orPS3 multiplat games as well as 1 PS3 exclusive, and like Wii Play and Brain Age and people rambled on how the Wii couldn't sell software as the 360 and PS3 were software beasts?

My have the times have changed.

Joe211 said:

6ybxx7c.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Arde5643 said:
With Conduit coming up and looking like it will be a solid FPS with full featured multiplayers, I wonder if Wii owners will still be receptive to half-assed FPS ports.

If it has the CoD name on the box, they will buy it

jjasper

Flying_Phoenix said:
Remember the days when the Top 10 were mostly 360 games, a two orPS3 multiplat games as well as 1 PS3 exclusive, and like Wii Play and Brain Age and people rambled on how the Wii couldn't sell software as the 360 and PS3 were software beasts?

My have the times have changed.

I don't ever remember anyone referring to the PS3 as a software beast.

Vinci

Danish
jjasper said:

AFAIK, the PS3's role in the race is to act like a leech and achieve some degree of respectability by the HD model's instability and the 360's crazy awesome software sales. At least that's how it seems, when you have all the PS3 fans going, "Well, we're not going to lose any multiplat games since the 360 sells games so well. Porting over is easy enough for some additional sales."

I mean, seriously ... this is what Sony has been reduced to?

Banned
Joe211 said:
You're telling me the UK -not Europe- is going to pass Japan in videogames sales?

Where did you read that?

The UK the second largest market for video games in the world now.

jjasper said:

Alright I exaggerated with the PS3, but I do remember it had no problems selling software in its early days. I remember games like Rainbow Six Vegas and the likes, while not up to par with the 360, selling respectably.

Slavik81

Flying_Phoenix said:
Alright I exaggerated with the PS3, but I do remember it had no problems selling software in its early days. I remember games like Rainbow Six Vegas and the likes, while not up to par with the 360, selling respectably.
Some did quite well relative to the size of the PS3 userbase, but none did all that great in absolute terms. But for every one that did proportionally better, there must have been one that did proportionally worse. The attach rate was never particularly high. (Though not particularly low, either.)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Joe211 said:

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' bout!

FrankT

Anerythristic said:
The fact that MS can't get any third party exclusives with the current state of PS3 software sales is an absolute failure by MS relations.

Splinter Cell Conviction is due this year and still exclusive per Ubisoft. I can think of 2 other third party exclusives hitting this month alone, Race Pro, Stoked. Big 3rd party exclusives going forward is still going to be harder to pull off however. The PS3 still has decent base in Europe and big 3rd party publishers have yet to sway from trying to make some return on there investment there.

Karma said:
The UK the second largest market for video games in the world now.

As of January this is correct. Almost the case for full year 2008 as well.

Busaiku

markatisu said:
(rolling eyes)...wow I am glad nobody here learned a damn thing from Rock Band 1 on the Wii

RB2 has been available for about 1 month, the bundles were shipped in low quantity and the game will continue to sell throughout the year

But I suppose since it did not sell 1m in 30 days its a flop (shaking head)

Also look at WaW selling in the Top 20 on Wii, so much for all those who danced saying it was dead at launch
Well, I wasn't aware of the supply problem, however Rock Band saw immediate success on Wii.

The game debuted at number 12 that month (June), and was probably above 200k (10 was 260k),
It then went up to number 8 (though probably pushed fewer numbers at 166k) in July.

Last month RB2 did about 150k, but didn't appear on Wii's top 10.
It doesn't appear there this month either, and the numbers will certainly be less, so it might've dipped less than 100k even. I can't say for sure though.

jjasper

Jtyettis said:
Splinter Cell Conviction is due this year and still exclusive per Ubisoft. I can think of 2 other third party exclusives hitting this month alone, Race Pro, Stoked. Big 3rd party exclusives going forward is still going to be harder to pull off however. The PS3 still has decent base in Europe and big 3rd party publishers have yet to sway from trying to make some return on there investment there.

Besides at this point MS has realized why spend a lot of money securing exclusive games when you can spend a quarter of that and get exclusive content making the 360 version the standard one and the PS3 one a gimped one.

Vinci

Danish
jjasper said:
Besides at this point MS has realized why spend a lot of money securing exclusive games when you can spend a quarter of that and get exclusive content making the 360 version the standard one and the PS3 one a gimped one.

Why spend anything at all? Just sit on your ass and let people make games for your system. Sony's going the way of no-more-moneyhats ... so long as the 360 versions always sell better than the PS3's does, why pay anything? You'll be the default system by merit of sales.

Bastion

A lot of people are saying that the PS3 is not selling enough games because there are not enough consoles out there.

But look at the 360. They have always sold games well. Every big game from them(really from launch) has automatically sold over a million). That is not the case with Sony. Not even close.

Joe211

plagiarize said:
*boggle*

shouldn't the Wii have the LEAST software in the top 20 since it is undoubtedly the MOST casual system by this 'logic'?

Casuals who want a Wii are interested in games and the Wiimote casuals who are buying a PS3 are interested in Blu ray movie.

Koren

plagiarize said:
You're taking it backwards. This is proof that Wii is the more hardcore system. HD consoles are casual (and especially PS3)

Evlar

Banned
We talk about Wii and about the DS, and as dominant as those platforms are I feel concentrating on performance of the hardware is missing the big picture. We are witnessing the (re)ascendence of Nintendo as a software developer. It is January 2009 and Mario Kart DS and NSMB reach the Top 10. The industry is more than thirty years old and one company's software occupies half(?) the Top 30. We've seen spots of dominance before... EA with The Sims franchise at its height, Nintendo itself in the years following the Crash...

This dominance is different and unprecedented. The industry is not on its knees as it was in 1985- it's making more money than ever, software and hardware. We're not talking about a single franchise but many games from numerous genres aimed at broad market segments on different systems. And the games are evergreen in a way that very few games- a handful per generation- ever manage. The one thing that is common between them is the company that develops them.

Copying Wii's interface and the marketing methods used to sell it, as difficult as that may be, is not an impassable barrier to the bright folks working for Microsoft or Sony (or Apple). Stealing the goose that lays the golden eggs from Nintendo's software development teams might be much harder since it seems no one has a clue how they're doing it.

Bastion said:
A lot of people are saying that the PS3 is not selling enough games because there are not enough consoles out there.

But look at the 360. They have always sold games well. Every big game from them(really from launch) has automatically sold over a million). That is not the case with Sony. Not even close.

Take a look at the mediocre game Rainbow Six Vegas 2 as an example of this. It came out close to a year ago (March 08), outside of a holiday month, and sold 750,000 with just the 360 sku alone in it's first month.

OldJadedGamer said:
Take a look at the mediocre game Rainbow Six Vegas 2 as an example of this. It came out close to a year ago (March 08), outside of a holiday month, and sold 750,000 with just the 360 sku alone in it's first month.

Didn't Army of 2 sell nearly 800k copies on the 360 in the first month?

Evlar said:
We talk about Wii and about the DS, and as dominant as those platforms are I feel concentrating on performance of the hardware is missing the big picture. We are witnessing the (re)ascendence of Nintendo as a software developer. It is January 2009 and Mario Kart DS and NSMB reach the Top 10. The industry is more than thirty years old and one company's software occupies half(?) the Top 30. We've seen spots of dominance before... EA with The Sims franchise at its height, Nintendo itself in the years following the Crash...

This dominance is different and unprecedented. The industry is not on its knees as it was in 1985- it's making more money than ever, software and hardware. We're not talking about a single franchise but many games from numerous genres aimed at broad market segments on different systems. And the games are evergreen in a way that very few games- a handful per generation- ever manage. The one thing that is common between them is the company that develops them.

Copying Wii's interface and the marketing methods used to sell it, as difficult as that may be, is not an impassable barrier to the bright folks working for Microsoft or Sony (or Apple). Stealing the goose that lays the golden eggs from Nintendo's software development teams might be much harder since it seems no one has a clue how they're doing it.

This is very true. If there's one thing Nintendo has that no other dev can claim, it's a an almost symbiotic relationship between software and hardware. Copy waggle and the Wii's SDK and power output, graphic capability and price, and there is still no guarantee you will reap the same success.

JudgeN

Vinci said:
AFAIK, the PS3's role in the race is to act like a leech and achieve some degree of respectability by the HD model's instability and the 360's crazy awesome software sales. At least that's how it seems, when you have all the PS3 fans going, "Well, we're not going to lose any multiplat games since the 360 sells games so well. Porting over is easy enough for some additional sales."

I mean, seriously ... this is what Sony has been reduced to?

Sure is or would you rather people throw there PS3 out the window:lol

At the end of the day its not a bad position to be in and as long as 1st party games continue to be great, I can't really complain. But beware next generation princess peach and Mario will be Nathan Drake slaves. I have seen the future :lol

SONY WILL BE BACK

DeaconKnowledge said:
This is very true. If there's one thing Nintendo has that no other dev can claim, it's a an almost symbiotic relationship between software and hardware. Copy waggle and the Wii's SDK and power output, graphic capability and price, and there is still no guarantee you will reap the same success.
Make it play Wii discs and sell it for less. I know it's a "I want a Pony" idea.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft will dominate unless they can manage to disrupt Nintendo's Market.

Opiate

Dovetailing with Evlar's point, I think it's worth noting that empirical evidence suggests that the games we think of as "casual," with Wii Sports and Wii Fit being headliners, are apparently much more difficult to make than "hardcore" games, contrary to popular belief.

The evidence of this is in the sales figures. Virtually every major publisher is capable of producing multiple "hardcore" hits a year, from the recently venerated EA with Madden and Warhammer to the now loathed Activision with Call of Duty to smaller companies like Epic or Bethesda to Japanese companies like Konami and Capcom. The fact that so many companies of varying sizes, from different cultures and of different backgrounds can all produce games with high review scores and strong sales suggests that it isn't very difficult to make these types of games.

By contrast, virtually no one outside of Nintendo (Activision being the sole exception with Guitar Hero, I think) has been capable of capturing the "casual" demographic in a consist and exceptional manner. This suggests that it is difficult to do: if it were easy, everyone would be doing it. Even Ubisoft, the perpetuator of the Imagine and Petz lines on the DS, has never really seen an exceptional success with any individual game: to my knowledge, none of these games has individually sold more than 5 million, and I'd wager that only a handful have passed 3 million, if that. Their success on the platform comes from sheer volume of SKUs, not from a few SKUs selling enldessly a la Brain Age, Nintendogs, Brain Age 2, and Animal Crossing.

Now, please note that I'm not saying that this makes casual games "better" by some objective standard, I'm simply saying that empirical evidence suggests that it's actually more challenging to produce a big casual hit than it is a big hardcore hit. I'm pointing this out because Omar's argument earlier relies on Microsoft being capable of creating industry driving casual software, and I'd argue it's unlikely that they can, given that almost no one but Nintendo seems capable of doing so.

markatisu

Busaiku said:
Well, I wasn't aware of the supply problem, however Rock Band saw immediate success on Wii.

The game debuted at number 12 that month (June), and was probably above 200k (10 was 260k),
It then went up to number 8 (though probably pushed fewer numbers at 166k) in July.

Last month RB2 did about 150k, but didn't appear on Wii's top 10.
It doesn't appear there this month either, and the numbers will certainly be less, so it might've dipped less than 100k even. I can't say for sure though.

And RB1 Wii sold more than 1m by Christmas which meant it pushed out another 400-600k in 6 months, if RB2 follows that pattern then it should do great at the end of the year. GHWT got about 60-70% of the GH3 buyers on Wii so I can see a similar tie to RB2.

But your looking at a bomb is under the premise that it has to sell high numbers within 30-60 days

The Top 20 proves that games stay around a long time, Lego Star Wars for Wii is now two Christmas seasons and its not like its being advertised.

But I think all of us armchair analysts need to wait a few months before we declare much of anything on the Wii platform a bomb or we will just be repeating 2008 mistakes (De Blob was a bomb oops no it was not, Boom Blox bombed oops no it did not, CoD WaW for Wii bombed oops no it did not)

Top Bottom