• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2010

Ridley327

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
Wasn't there a bit of teeth gnashing over MGS: Peace Walker not going to Wii? I seem to remember people being flabbergasted that Konami would put it on PSP instead of bringing it to the # 1 system around. I wonder if it would have done any better...
I don't seem to remember much outrage over it not coming to the Wii. It seems like PS3 fans were more bitter by it than anything else.

Seems like they were justified!

Stumpokapow said:
The PS3 has a PSP emulator in firmware and has since 3.15. It's just not turned on. Your guess is as good as mine.

WAT? Come on Sony, let me play Patapon (and KZ:L) on PS3. Then I might be interested in MP for Patapon 3.

VALIS

Tmac said:
360 come out in top, but, considering that a lot of those sales are from people just replacing their existing xboxs, that number isnt impressive at all. PS3 had a similar YOY increase without any novelty factor in place.
:lol Jesus.

Redbeard

Banned
I'd buy Peace Walker on the PS3 it if were in HD and they remapped the controls to work with the DS3.

I just can't be arsed to play MGS games on handhelds.

Didn't Kojima say this may be a possibility? They had some questionaire about why certain people wouldnt get Peace Walker or something

Manmademan said:
this late in the game no one in their right mind is in the market for a new PSP. the hardware is pretty old, far too expensive for what it does, and a new model out in a year or so is the worst kept secret in videogames.
I love my new PSP Go. $125 Canadian for the Go and 3 games is an incredible bargain.
But hey, I'm not in my right mind!

<goes back to playing Persona 3 Portable> :lol

Ding

Vizion28 said:
I'm curious to know are the 360 arcade models pretty much all been sold? If so should it be expected for 360 sales numbers to go back to normal?
I imagine that the "Arcade bump" ran its course pretty quickly. Are they all sold out yet, or, has the price returned to $199?

The "Slim bump" will likely continue for a bit. My friend pre-ordered one right after they were announced, but wasn't able to purchase it until July 9th. The initial (Game Spot) shipment sold out extremely quickly in my area.

(Game Spot was doing that promotion where they were buying back 20GB "Pro" 360s for $150-ish if you bought a Slim, so I imagine sales were especially brisk for them. That promotion is due to end this weekend, I think.)

V_Ben

Banned
the_prime_mover said:
WAT? Come on Sony, let me play Patapon (and KZ:L) on PS3. Then I might be interested in MP for Patapon 3.

Gamescon. Maybe. The PSP Emulator isn't quite as good as it should be. It struggles with full 3D minis sometimes, so i'd assume they're prepping an update to it.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1106530p1.html said:
Sony noted that there are nearly 13 million PS3 units in living rooms across the U.S. and that hardware unit sales are up 85 percent since June 2009 and 42 percent since January 2010.

It's getting so I'm real fed up every time someone mentions 'living room' in this context. Sure, there may be 13m PS3s in the USA, but nobody knows what room in the house/apartment/bar/secret naval research station they are in. Not that there's any solid research on anyhow.

I vaguely recall someone (I think it was Sony) trying to redefine 'living room' in their E3 conference as meaning something other than, er, living room.

Bah.

Just one of life's little annoyances I suppose.

markatisu said:
Jesus Analysts really are tools aren't they. Only they can somehow turn the fact that Red Dead sold 2.5m+ in 2 months into a bad thing

And some people wonder why it seems you have to shift 3-5m copies to be considered a success
the best part is before launch, they didn't expect it to sell that well in the first place!

Shig said:
Urgh, all this "Sony needs to kill the PSP" talk is turning my stomach. Remember when gamers wanted Dreamcast to live forever even though it was in death throes at retail? Remember the GAF that cursed Nintendo for canceling a US release of Sin & Punishment in N64's twilight?

Why does everyone act like shareholders now? Are you guys really so keen on leaving a boatload of interesting games on the table, never to be localized, to buy new hardware that's probably going to get clobbered the exact same way again?

Sony and other developers could divert more resources to platforms that people actually enjoy buying software for.

At this point, after the release of GT, God of War, Final Fantasy, nd Metal Gear, there is no such thing as a system seller for the PSP. The hardware sales are never going to get better, only worse.

Sony has steadfastly refused to drop the price despite the lack of demand, their piracy fix (the PSP GO) was one of the worst ideas in history, and they have somehow (if Stump's post about the PS3 FW is true) ignored that many non-PSP owning PS3 owners would jump at the chance to buy digital PS3 software if they could play it on the "big comfy couch".

Sony should not release a PSP2 unless they seriously think over what went wrong with the current machine. I really doubt developer support is going to be there day 1 if the consensus is that it's going to be completely clobbered (even more than the PSP1) by the 3DS.

Rainier said:
I always assumed the textures would look like shit on a screen that's at least 10 times bigger. Why use high-res textures on a 3" screen?

I played through Aria of Sorrow and Metroid Fusion on a 25" screen. I think I can handle Metal Gear.

markatisu

Wasn't there a bit of teeth gnashing over MGS: Peace Walker not going to Wii? I seem to remember people being flabbergasted that Konami would put it on PSP instead of bringing it to the # 1 system around. I wonder if it would have done any better...

I think you are thinking of PS3 fanboys, by the time Peace Walker was announced the Wii faithful knew they were not getting those games (which is what made the 3DS MGS announcement so interesting)

If Peace Walker came to the Wii it would have probably done OK, but any sales it had would automatically be compared to MGS4 on the PS3 and then you would have the musings of "shoulda been on the PS3"

Peace Walker was part of a handful of high quality prestige games the PSP got announced for it, in an epic fail attempt to rejuvenate the sales of the platform. In hindsight they should just release them on PSN and sell the PSP as a way to take your PSN games with you.

WillyFive

Huh, looks like this will be used for a second month:

1423365-untitled_1_copy_super.jpg

Buzz Lightyear is still the cooler toy.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
AdventureRacing said:
Where were these posts with the PS3 slim?

How much should they have sold then?

You're comparing 360 sales to PS3 sales and ignoring the fact that they finally got stock in hence the boost.

I am pretty confident that 360 will outsell the PS3 by as much or maybe more next month.

They were there.

Sad for Peace Walker. I did my part.
At least it sold well elsewhere.

markatisu

The Faceless Master said:
the best part is before launch, they didn't expect it to sell that well in the first place!

Yup the hypocrisy is amazing

Pre-Launch: RDR is an experiment, do not expect GTA like sales, will do OK
Launch: wowzers RDR surprises with 1.5m, totally unexpected, beats SMG2
Month after: RDR disappoints only having sold 1m in its 2nd month instead of 1.5m again

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Stumpokapow said:
The PS3 has a PSP emulator in firmware and has since 3.15. It's just not turned on. Your guess is as good as mine.
My guess would be that they're crazy enough to think that they can still save the PSP in the West.

Sony knows that once they enable a PSP emulator on the PS3, even their extremely microscopic chance of trying to save the system is gone.

Due to this, they let their software partners suffer while their hardware continues to go down the drain.

Ridley327

markatisu said:
Peace Walker was part of a handful of high quality prestige games the PSP got announced for it, in an epic fail attempt to rejuvenate the sales of the platform. In hindsight they should just release them on PSN and sell the PSP as a way to take your PSN games with you.
Capcom is the only one who made a good decision here, with the RE PSP project being shifted over to the 3DS. The Western focus for the series these days probably made it a very easy decision, too.

Boney said:
How many months has it been since a PSP game charted? PSP is in a much worse condition that it was a year ago.
Last one was Dissidia in August of last year. Before that was Crisis Core/God of War in March 2008.

Emonk

Banned
PSP is dead.

Oddly enough, I'm going to buy more PSP games this year than I have in a long time.

Already bought Peace Walker, and I'm planning on getting P3 Portable when the price drops, and VC 2 when it comes out.

I can't pay $40 for a PSP game I bought twice already (P3 and FES).

Curufinwe

phisheep said:
It's getting so I'm real fed up every time someone mentions 'living room' in this context. Sure, there may be 13m PS3s in the USA, but nobody knows what room in the house/apartment/bar/secret naval research station they are in. Not that there's any solid research on anyhow.

I vaguely recall someone (I think it was Sony) trying to redefine 'living room' in their E3 conference as meaning something other than, er, living room.

Bah.

Just one of life's little annoyances I suppose.

Living room means any room in the house where living people spend time, right? :D

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Ridley327 said:
Which of these "interesting games" can fix the irreperable damage that has already been inflicted upon the system? The system is an absolute disaster outside of its country of origin; Sony has tried to ignore it with all of these new ad campaigns, but it's akin to putting a band-aid on a decapitated head.
Who gives a shit? How much a game sells and/or moves its platform factors exactly 0% into my enjoyment of said game.

Sony and other companies publishing for PSP outside of Japan are practically running a charity in continuing to support the platform despite its economic feasibility, and gamers are doing nothing but cursing at them for it. They're basically bringing games here for no other reason than "we think this game is cool, you should be able to play it," It's as close to selflessness as this industry is ever gonna get. How am I serviced, as a person who enjoys games, by Sony saying "you know what, FUCK this" and leaving a bunch of games I would have probably liked on the table?

Tron 2.0

Boney said:
How many months has it been since a PSP game charted? PSP is in a much worse condition that it was a year ago.
What was the last high profile PSP game before Peace Walker?

EDIT: August 2009 NPD

7. Dissidia: Final Fantasy (PSP) / Square Enix / 130,000

Ridley327

Shig said:
Who gives a shit? How much a game sells and/or moves its platform factors exactly 0% into my enjoyment of said game.

Sony and other companies publishing for PSP outside of Japan are practically running a charity in continuing to support the platform despite its economic feasibility, and gamers are doing nothing but cursing at them for it. They're basically bringing games here for no other reason than "we think this game is cool, you should be able to play it," It's as close to selflessness as this industry is ever gonna get. How am I serviced, as a person who enjoys games, by leaving a bunch of games I would have probably liked on the table?
If you honestly believe that Sony is keeping the system alive out of "charity", then I have a bridge to sell you.

Tron 2.0 said:
What was the last high profile PSP game before Peace Walker?
Probably Gran Turismo, but that didn't chart. The month that, Soul Calibur, and Motorstorm all came out and bombed was when I thought the PSP was dead, saleswise. I don't know why this is some kind of new revelation to people. Games bombing on the system is a foregone conclusion. It's no surprise anymore, but it is a shame as 2009-10 have been the best years for the system when it comes to quality games.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Curufinwe said:
Living room means any room in the house where living people spend time, right? :D

Yeah. I suppose I have to cross off that basement where I keep my great-great-great-grandfather, ex-wife, PS2, N64 and Megadrive (or does it magically become a living room if I put a PS3 down there - or, not to be biased, a 360)

Rainier

Shig said:
Sony and other companies publishing for PSP outside of Japan are practically running a charity in continuing to support the platform despite its economic feasibility, and gamers are doing nothing but cursing at them for it. They're basically bringing games here for no other reason than "we think this game is cool, you should be able to play it," It's as close to selflessness as this industry is ever gonna get.
I hope Sony's shareholders don't get wind of this. Lets keep this on the down-low so we might all continue to bask in Sony's generosity...

Tron 2.0

lordoftherink said:
Probably Gran Turismo, but that didn't chart. The month that, Soul Calibur, and Motorstorm all came out and bombed was when I thought the PSP was dead, saleswise. I don't know why this is some kind of new revelation to people. Games bombing on the system is a foregone conclusion. It's no surprise anymore, but it is a shame as 2009-10 have been the best years for the system when it comes to quality games.
I agree.

My point is strictly that piracy can't be primarily responsible for PW not making the Top Ten this month. The game just sold poorly.

Indyana

As far as I remember there were some people saying that third parties should make Wii versions of some PSP games. They are sending them to die in America and Europe, so it makes sense to try. But this logic is usually applied with western PSP games that don't sell anywhere.

Owzers

Is it wrong to feel like Sony publishing 3 Patapon games for psp yet none for PSN is Sony's way of mocking me? Just so stupid.

Guevara

The sad thing is I have a PSP 3000, I tried out the demo unit of the PSP Go and thought "this is what hand held gaming hardware should be", its pretty close to perfect*. I even considered buying a system right then (for full price) and the DL game prices don't faze me. I just don't get anything out of the games they have right now and no longer even follow the new releases. I don't know what it is, but obviously I'm not alone on this front.

*Keeping in mind the GBA Micro is my favorite hand held ever.

Ridley327

Tron 2.0 said:
I agree.

My point is strictly that piracy can't be primarily responsible for PW not making the Top Ten this month. The game just sold poorly.
Piracy definitely plays a big part in why the PSP is where it is, but it's not the only factor. Sony failing to capitalize on the hype of the system post-launch is a bigger culprit; their indecisiveness on how to market the capabilities of the system is another one, which led to the other issue of game advertisement being next-to-non-existant as well.

Big B

if PS3 gamers are so desperate to not buy a psp but want to play the games, just charge them 1.5x the price on PSN.

Shig said:

Sony and other companies publishing for PSP outside of Japan are practically running a charity in continuing to support the platform despite its economic feasibility, and gamers are doing nothing but cursing at them for it. They're basically bringing games here for no other reason than "we think this game is cool, you should be able to play it," It's as close to selflessness as this industry is ever gonna get. How am I serviced, as a person who enjoys games, by Sony saying "you know what, FUCK this" and leaving a bunch of games I would have probably liked on the table?

They don't have to be selfless. They could invest the same resources into other hardware platforms. The games can be ported/emulated. You know, like Liberty City/Vice City stories. Or like Puzzle Quest.

Sony probably saw the sales of those games (on PS2 and other platforms) and mistakenly thought that keeping newer big PSP games "true" exclusive would entice people to buy the PSP. It hasn't worked, bring on the ports/emus. They aren't doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. They obviously are making a fat profit margin on the hardware and are still holding out hope that the system can become as resurgent as the PS3.

Sanic

Interesting about Tiger Woods. Somewhat OT, haven't Madden sales been declining YoY for a while now as well?

Tron 2.0

Ridley327 said:
Piracy definitely plays a big part in why the PSP is where it is, but it's not the only factor. Sony failing to capitalize on the hype of the system post-launch is a bigger culprit; their indecisiveness on how to market the capabilities of the system is another one, which led to the other issue of game advertisement being next-to-non-existant as well.
I also think UMD films were a huge waste of time.

I understand WHY they thought it was a good idea, but yuck.

burgerdog

I'll buy peace walker if they make it playable on ps3. It really seems like there's a ton of people hoping for that to happen.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Tron 2.0 said:

Piracy is probably 8/10 of lost sales on PSP now.

Game may have sold poorly, but it being on the PSP (a piracy heaven) doesn't help matters and piracy DOES contribute to it not charting even then.

I'm really curious how the PSN version is selling. I bought it day one but NPD won't count me as I'm a digitial buyer.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Pandoracell said:
Interesting about Tiger Woods. Somewhat OT, haven't Madden sales been declining YoY for a while now as well?
Yeah.

They're trying to reboot the franchise this year because of it, since FIFA's reboot worked surprisingly well.

Tron 2.0 said:
I also think UMD films were a huge waste of time.

I understand WHY they thought it was a good idea, but yuck.
I bought some when they bomba'd and price collapsed, but they were waaaay too expensive at full price. They did a number on battery life too.

Tron 2.0 said:
I agree.

I know piracy can't be the only blame for PW's poor sales, but honestly, we all know that the game was probably pirated 10x more then it was bought, at a minimum.

LJ11

Nirolak said:
Yeah.

They're trying to reboot the franchise this year because of it, since FIFA's reboot worked surprisingly well.

They're not really rebooting anything, it's all cosmetic. NCAA received the big overhaul this year, sales were awful last season (they mailed it in).

Beth Cyra

TheSeks said:

Game may have sold poorly, but it being on the PSP (a piracy heaven) doesn't help matters and piracy DOES contribute to it not charting even then.
I'm really curious how the PSN version is selling. I bought it day one but NPD won't count me as I'm a digitial buyer.

It might be part but I don't think it is a large one as to why it didn't chart.

We have seen games on PSP chart, and all way before the 3000 which should by all acounts have helped PSP software as it is much more difficult to hack and pirate games then either the two thousand or the original 1000 line where.

God of War had enough fans loyal enough to get it so it could chart, same with Dissidia.

I honesetly think people where putting way to much faith in a Big Boss/Naked Snake game to do well when by all accounts these have been the least selling games in the franchise anyway outside of stuff like Acid.

Blu_LED said:
I know piracy can't be the only blame for PW's poor sales, but honestly, we all know that the game was probably pirated 10x more then it was bought, at a minimum.

The weird thing is that piracy doesn't seem to influence PSP software numbers in Japan. That samurai honor seems to be holding. :lol

Lagspike_exe said:
The weird thing is that piracy doesn't seem to influence PSP software numbers in Japan. That samurai honor seems to be holding. :lol
Yeah that always seemed a little weird to me. Maybe it's just because there are a metric ton more PSPs in Japan, so it kind of evens out?

Sanic

Nirolak said:
Yeah.

This year is the reboot? I'm actually skipping Madden this year as I found there to be a lack of any radical changes that I would need to have. I know they went into this year with the idea of focusing solely on the gameplay, but to me what they're doing is still akin to trying to repair a house with glue. I guess next year, with the new franchise mode, will be an interesting test.

Back on topic, it'll be interesting to see how the 360 sustains this performance.

Tron 2.0

TheSeks said:

Game may have sold poorly, but it being on the PSP (a piracy heaven) doesn't help matters and piracy DOES contribute to it not charting even then...
The problem is that we have absolutely no idea, other than the obvious fact that it's being pirated more than purchased.

I agree with the other bit.

My point is not that pirating prevented the game from selling better, because that's obvious, merely that it sold poorly in comparison to other well reviewed, AAA games that were also heavily pirated.

I refute the notion that more people are prone to pirate MGS over God of War or Dissidia.

That's all. But we can all agree that the sales suck.

Top Bottom