• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2010

DevilWillcry said:
Why is PS3 so high? Really surprised to see the PS3 competing this month. What came out to give it this boost? Shortage issues solved? Also, the PSP needs to die in a fire at this point. It seems they are wasting good Kevin Butler marketing dollars on this Marcus shit for nothing. The 3DS is now announced, if Sony wants to stay in the handheld market they had better have a PSP2 announcement ready for TGS. Expected a bigger boost from the 360 slim. Don't really expect it to do much for MS in the long run. The Wii and DS are of course strong as usual.
Bingo.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lagspike_exe said:
The emulator is perfectly capable of emulating any PSP title (although performance may be an issue) since Minis is native PSP application. Sony chose to restrict it to Minis only for various reasons.

This is my point. There is a fully functioned PSP emulator on the PS3. It is not turned on. That's what I said.

Owzers

Gravijah said:
The PSP has to be pure profit these days. 6 years old and 169.99+? I'd try to get as much as I could out of selling hardware, even though it's getting lower and lower and lower and lower.

It's the same argument repeated though. This would only matter if games WERE selling on psp. They aren't, so putting them up on psn isn't going to magically " kill " psp software sales when there are NONE to kill in the first place.

Ridley327

Making PSP games playable on the PS3 would give it a really unique advantage over the 360, especially if they could convince the devs of the bigger games to do some PS3-specific stuff for them, like adapting the controls for the DS3 or even adding trophy support. I'm sure there's more than a few people who would buy PSP games if this ever came to fruitition.

Gravijah

sillymonkey321 said:
It's the same argument repeated though. This would only matter if games WERE selling on psp. They aren't, so putting them up on psn isn't going to magically " kill " psp software sales when there are NONE to kill in the first place.

I actually think it would kill PSP hardware sales, but then again what do I know. :lol

donny2112

Jtyettis said:
SW market getting crushed. Needs to see some YTD yoy figures.

Software Revenue is down 7.9% for the year.

Nirolak said:
Though on a positive note Nintendo gave out numbers for three of the bottom five this month.

Wii Fit Plus was not the combined SKU but yeah. :)

Gravijah

jay said:
You only wish your game system sold thousands each month. PSP is doing great.

My GravijahStation 64 is doing so well it's impossible for the NPD to track it. 'Cause I sell 'em all at Wal Mart.

STG!

Whoa, didn't expect to see a NPD thread tonight.

JordanLMiller said:
Will there be S&P2 numbers eventually?

Welcome to the club. :(

Nice slim bump, gonna have to pluck down some cash for the console soon. PSP...

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
My GravijahStation 64 is doing so well it's impossible for the NPD to track it. 'Cause I sell 'em all at Wal Mart.
full with pokemon fetishes and chocolate corndogs goodness

Opiate

jvm said:
Ask me later if I don't cover this in the article this month.

JVM, another thing many of us would be interested in if you are able to cover it: there seems to be a growing impression that the gulf between AAA and A- or B or C games is widening even further. I.e. the winners are winning bigger, the losers losing harder.

I'd be interested if you could do analysis on this, because as of right now, that's mostly a gut impression. Perhaps some analysis of the marketshare of the top 1 or 2% of games (i.e. the top 5 or so each month). Do the top 5 games comprise (as an example) 80% of sales this year, while they comprised 72% last year? Or is it essentially even YoY?

If you simply don't have access to this information, then obviously my request is irrelevant.

Ashes

Banned
Does anyone know what the console market share looks like at the moment, percentage wise? How does it look in comparison to the same time last year?

Rainier

Gravijah said:
Pffff, While my Rainmaker hardware sales are a little slow (supply problems), the software has been flying off my (untracked) direct-download service.

Oh, and stop pirating my games!

Gravijah

Boney said:
full with pokemon fetishes and chocolate corndogs goodness

Yeah, well... Yeah. :(

Rainier said:
Pffff, While my Rainmaker hardware sales are a little slow (supply problems), the software has been flying off my (untracked) direct-download service.

Oh, and stop pirating my games!

You have the power to make it rain and yet you do not.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Jtyettis said:
Actually meant the total dollar figure as in the differnce(decline) YoY.
1H 2010 software is down $310 million relative to 1H 2009 software.

Opiate said:
JVM, another thing many of us would be interested in if you are able to cover it: there seems to be a growing impression that the gulf between AAA and A- or B or C games is widening even further. I.e. the winners are winning bigger, the losers losing harder.
I don't get enough raw data to do this, I don't think, but I will see what I can do by asking around. I would point to this quote from Frazier:
Anita Frazier said:
"Software sales are down, but the top 10 SKU's for the month sold comparably to what the top 10 did last June - game sales are more concentrated this year on the top-selling games."

Opiate

Ashes1396 said:
Does anyone know what the console market share looks like at the moment, percentage wise? How does it look in comparison to the same time last year?

Market Share of Hardware January->June:

PS3: ~27%
360: ~32%
Wii: ~41%

Last year at this time:

PS3: ~19%
360: ~27%
Wii: ~53%

PS3 has gained very significantly, 360 has gained significantly, and Wii has dropped profoundly. In absolute terms, PS3 and 360 have both sold more this year than last, and in fact this is the best year either has ever had. By contrast, the Wii is declining quite rapidly.

FrankT

jvm said:

That is a serious chunk of change yoy. With the declines seen in the UK as well at 10% yoy it would seem like the SW market at least in the west (possibly WW) is in real decline at this point.

Cannot be a good thing for any publisher at this time.

Ashes

Banned
Thanks opiate. The renewed focus on the 'core' audience was probably due to Nintendo's internal forecasting of this.

anadwin

Neo Member
I don't understand why these threads always break down into "the PSP must die" or something to that effect. Enough already! We get it. The PSP sales are not very good. What are we goning to do by repeating ourselves every month? I don't think it will change whatever Sony's plan for the PSP is. Sorry for the rant, but these threads are the same every month............

Tron 2.0 said:
I also think UMD films were a huge waste of time.

I understand WHY they thought it was a good idea, but yuck.

I remember reading an interview with Jack Tretton where the person asked him why UMD movies were so horribly priced and he blamed the movie studios which I never understood that excuse since Sony themselves owned a movie studio that put out UMD movies so they should have lead by example in pricing.

Beth Cyra

OldJadedGamer said:
I remember reading an interview with Jack Tretton where the person asked him why UMD movies were so horribly priced and he blamed the movie studios which I never understood that excuse since Sony themselves owned a movie studio that put out UMD movies so they should have lead by example in pricing.

I thought the reason for this was assumed that Sony's arms didn't talk with one another.

I mean during the time of the PSP launch there was alot of talk about how while they where each a branch of Sony they very much acted like different compainies that it was almost to the point it was simply because the name you knew it was Sony.

dolemite

People saying that the 360 numbers are low should really examine the prediction thread. Did anyone even went above 400k on it?

Concept17

Opiate said:

Last year at this time:

PS3 has gained very significantly, 360 has gained significantly, and Wii has dropped profoundly. In absolute terms, PS3 and 360 have both sold more this year than last, and in fact this is the best year either has ever had. By contrast, the Wii is declining quite rapidly.

That is quite the change. Its amazing how well each platform has done on its own.

jvm said:

That isn't as bad as I would have expected. Or as bad some some make it out to be. Sure its not an increase for the industry...but people seem to think the industry is doing much worse.

FrankT

dolemite said:
People saying that the 360 numbers are low should really examine the prediction thread. Did anyone even went above 400k on it?

A few iirc. Not many however. A bit over 3 may have been the average. Of course that would be silly in itself considering it is the second best non-holiday month it has had since launch. The other being the Halo 3 launch.

Mindlog

Jtyettis said:
That is a serious chunk of change yoy. With the declines seen in the UK as well at 10% yoy it would seem like the SW market at least in the west (possibly WW) is in real decline at this point.

Cannot be a good thing for any publisher at this time.

A huge change considering the number of high quality products released this year :(

jay

Ridley327 said:
There has always been an immense lack of synergy over at Sony, and the UMD pricing is just another facet of that.

True as it may be, Sony wanted to lower UMD prices but Sony wouldn't let them is not a very satisfying answer to the consumer.

Who was it in Sony who just recently said something to which half of GAF responded, "That's a guy in Sony, not Sony. Entirely different things"?

Ashes

Banned
It also occurs to me that ps3 has been having shortages throughout the year and the x360 just launched a new hardware revision.
Probably going to keep an eye on the marketshare now from month to month. Much more interesting then the raw figures.
12% drop in year to date marketshare to both their competitors. Hmm...
This generation is proving to be unpredictable.

Beth Cyra

SimpleDesign said:
Poor Peacewalker, should have been a console title. They could always port it to the Wii/3DS

I think there is something wrong with me because my first thought was..

A stragith port to Wii = Awesome

Port to 3DS = Bullshit unless the to update it.

And I freaking love my Wii.

dolemite

Peacewalker would've made an awesome PS360 title with a PSP port as well, much like Assassin's Creed 2. A PSP exclusive in the West is insta death.

mujun

Ridley327 said:
Making PSP games playable on the PS3 would give it a really unique advantage over the 360, especially if they could convince the devs of the bigger games to do some PS3-specific stuff for them, like adapting the controls for the DS3 or even adding trophy support. I'm sure there's more than a few people who would buy PSP games if this ever came to fruitition.

What advantage? Who would choose to play an emulated PSP game on their PS3 over having a fully fledged next gen version of the same game? You make it sound like trophy support and stuff like that would be a bonus when all full PS3 games already come with it.

mujun

Opiate said:

Last year at this time:

Looks like the 360 is bound for 3rd place both in the States and worldwide.

Ridley327

mujun said:
What advantage? Who would choose to play an emulated PSP game on their PS3 over having a fully fledged next gen version of the same game? You make it sound like trophy support and stuff like that would be a bonus when all full PS3 games already come with it.
Well, having a huge library of games that people would want to play doesn't seem like a disadvantage.

I mean, where's the Crisis Core equivalent? The Kingdom Hearts game? The Monster Hunter series? You don't see how this could be an attractive enterprise?

DR2K

Banned
Ridley327 said:
Well, having a huge library of games that people would want to play doesn't seem like a disadvantage.

I mean, where's the Crisis Core equivalent? The Kingdom Hearts game? The Monster Hunter series? You don't see how this could be an attractive enterprise?

Kingdom Hearts is bigger than Final Fantasy in the west. Birth By Sleep if advertised as a mainline game shouldn't have a problem doing as well as Crisis Core. (if that shitty DS KH game could chart than so can this)

Top Bottom