• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2010

yurinka

I think Sony must drop PSP price ASAP to at least $149, and after some months once the remainging great PSP games like Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, Parasite Eve, new GOW, and Kindom Hearts are out, to turn on the PSP in PS3 emulator and release a (piracy free like PS3) PSP2, PSPhone and PSPad with PSP BC.

Love Peace Walker, let's hope it gets better sales outside Japan, with bundles and in PSN.

I'm rather surprised that Peace Walker missed out on the Top 10 entirely. Obviously, it wasn't going to set the world on fire, but I thought it would perform on par with previous PSP entries in major franchises.

Beth Cyra

yurinka said:
I think Sony must drop PSP price ASAP to at least $149, and after some months once the remainging great PSP games like Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, Parasite Eve, new GOW, and Kindom Hearts are out, to turn on the PSP in PS3 emulator and release a (piracy free like PS3) PSP2, PSPhone and PSPad with PSP BC.

This is doomed in NA no matter what the price of the PSP is when it hits.

Road

Lagspike_exe said:
The weird thing is that piracy doesn't seem to influence PSP software numbers in Japan. That samurai honor seems to be holding. :lol
PSP has the worst tie ratio of all current gen platforms in Japan.

Maybe it does influence it?

yurinka

TruePrime said:
This is doomed in NA no matter what the price of the PSP is when it hits.
Yes, this game will sell in Japan only, like the other ones. I was thinking worldwide, not just USA. I'm sorry, I forgot this was the NPD thread.
Road said:

I would say it's a combination of piracy, people buying it just to play Monster Hunter and people buying multiple PSP (limited edition bundles).

Ridley327

TruePrime said:
I honesetly think people where putting way to much faith in a Big Boss/Naked Snake game to do well when by all accounts these have been the least selling games in the franchise anyway outside of stuff like Acid.
This is a bit of an unfair assessment since the drop in sales that MGS3 saw from MGS2 was largely attributed to the backlash MGS2 saw from the bait-and-switch tactic with Raiden. Even still, it sold quite well and is by far the most loved game in the series.

Now, I do honestly think that Konami did no favors by having PW come out in an environment that saw two card game spin-offs and a poorly received adaptation of the main games, which did have an impact on the franchise's visibility on the system. You can't rely on MGS fans alone to get the sales you want.

Tron 2.0

Blu_LED said:
Yeah that always seemed a little weird to me. Maybe it's just because there are a metric ton more PSPs in Japan, so it kind of evens out?
~17.4 PSP in North America as of June and ~14.9 million in Japan.

Do you mean per capita?

Beth Cyra

Ridley327 said:
This is a bit of an unfair assessment since the drop in sales that MGS3 saw from MGS2 was largely attributed to the backlash MGS2 saw from the bait-and-switch tactic with Raiden. Even still, it sold quite well and is by far the most loved game in the series.

Now, I do honestly think that Konami did no favors by having PW come out in an environment that saw two card game spin-offs and a poorly received adaptation of the main games, which did have an impact on the franchise's visibility on the system. You can't rely on MGS fans alone to get the sales you want.

Still can't believe this is true but I guess I can't argue wtih it.

Either way, I think if we see Kingdom Hearts chart in Sept just like we saw Dissidia and FF VII CC do before then the it didn't chart only because of piracy is a false statement and it is more that PSP owners by and large (the ones that actually pay for games that is) don't care for Metal Gear Solid.

Even more so if God of War GoS follows in COO foot steps.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
This is really strange.. not having this thread made by a mod.. and the fact that it's not exploding at 15 pages a minute..

Road said:

That (may) be influenced by the fact that its converted home console game lineup isn't that appealing to Japan's audience. On the other hand, considering the excellent sales of games aimed at the PSP as a portable console (Monster Hunter, MGS: PW etc.) I'd say that the sales are much, much less influenced by the piracy than in the West.

Pociask

Gamer @ Heart said:
These horrible sales for June games make me feel like summer will continue to be a barren wasteland next year.

I am getting more and more the feeling that 2010 is the year that the Great Recession finally caught up to the video game industry. When you have near 10% unemployment for so long, with nearly half of those being unemployed for 6 months or longer, it is going to affect video games too.

Publishers can bitch about piracy, used game sales, etc. Gamers can speculate about exhaustion from yearly iterations/too many sequels etc. Third-parties can bitch about not being able to beat Nintendo. But the fact is that very many consumers are hurting, and video games are a luxury item.

The idea that that video games are immune to the recession, and somehow comparable to five cent movie theater tickets in the Great Depression, was always kind of laughable, since it's a hobby that takes literally hundreds of dollars just to play and thousands to be a hardcore gamer(assuming one buys all your games, retail, day one, as the industry needs gamers to do to meet revenue goals). But the bottom is dropping out. We're going to see more and more bombs, and probably more studio closings.

Sony and Microsoft aren't having a ten year console cycle this time because they want the games to mature like some fine wine. I'm sure they've run the numbers, and determined that consumers simply can't afford another leap.*

*I will be more than happy to be proven wrong by a booming economy and resurgent video game sales.

Tron 2.0

Syth_Blade22 said:
This is really strange.. not having this thread made by a mod.. and the fact that it's not exploding at 15 pages a minute..
The slower pace is quite nice. I can actually be involved in the conversation. You can reply to a comment on page 2 and not have it end up on page 10.

Sometimes the NPD threads get so large they're daunting to parse through for information and meaningful discussion.

Ricker

How about we get better numbers and less confusing dates and all for this anymore...only 5 games with numbers out of the top 10 and nothing else??? gives the numbers on every game that came out in June,not numbers till the 10th here and last month there...jesus ;P

Ricker said:
How about we get better numbers and less confusing dates and all for this anymore...only 5 games with numbers out of the top 10 and nothing else??? gives the numbers on every game that came out in June,not numbers till the 10th here and last month there...jesus ;P

Welcome to NPD.

Is anyone really shocked to see how badly the PSP is doing? Sony has, in six years, basically dropped the price of the core hardware a whopping $30, and managed to put in a worse screen.

Right now on Amazon you can buy an 8GB ipod touch for seven dollars more than a psp. What teenager would choose a psp over an ipod touch for the same money?

It is an antiquated product that needs to be put out to pasture. The explosion of casual games, and true convergence devices make the psp irrelevant for the vast majorit of consumers.

mujun

Shig said:
Sony and other companies publishing for PSP outside of Japan are practically running a charity in continuing to support the platform despite its economic feasibility, and gamers are doing nothing but cursing at them for it. They're basically bringing games here for no other reason than "we think this game is cool, you should be able to play it," It's as close to selflessness as this industry is ever gonna get. How am I serviced, as a person who enjoys games, by Sony saying "you know what, FUCK this" and leaving a bunch of games I would have probably liked on the table?

Why is Sony Koolaid so much more intoxicating.

Boney

Banned
TruePrime said:
Hate what they did to Big Boss and I think The Boss is the worst thing to happen to Metal Gear so I can't say I mind to much.
Skip story play the game. Story is meh. Game is delicious, bite sized MGS is where it's at!

Tron 2.0

Ricker said:
We're constantly reminded that YOU'RE LUCKY TO GET EVEN THAT SO SHUT UP AND GO FUCK YOURSELVES.

Beth Cyra

Boney said:
Skip story play the game. Story is meh. Game is delicious, bite sized MGS is where it's at!

Actually I don't go into the OT thread as I am not a fan and don't want to rain on people's parade, but how is the Monster Hunter stuff? I am not a big fan of it but maybe alittle MGS Spice could really be what it takes to make it click for me.

PSP software sales are bad and have always been, but the last year has seen the market changed with PSN. Without those sales tracked, its not fair for us to say just how badly PSP games bombed.

Ridley327

TruePrime said:
Actually I don't go into the OT thread as I am not a fan and don't want to rain on people's parade, but how is the Monster Hunter stuff? I am not a big fan of it but maybe alittle MGS Spice could really be what it takes to make it click for me.
The actual MH content in the game is pretty marginal (it comprises a mere 8 missions, with half of them being very slight background changes), but the influence on the game allows for more bite-sized chunks that can be focused on a certain task, like holding up a number of enemies or recovering secret plans. Most of the game is also playable with at least two people, so you can have fun there. It's a pretty effective mix and the game doesn't really lose its inherent MGS-ness, as well.

Beth Cyra

Gamer @ Heart said:
PSP software sales are bad and have always been, but the last year has seen the market changed with PSN. Without those sales tracked, its not fair for us to say just how badly PSP games bombed.

I guess this could be right, though I find it hard to swallow.

We have seen company after company come out and say how great a game did on download or even a map pack. FF VII and COD for example.

It seems like if there was really a break out hit on PSN we would hear about it from someones PR, but then maybe not.

Tron 2.0

Gamer @ Heart said:
Is there any reason to believe that PSN sales of PSP software are anything but a small fraction of the amount sold through retailers?

I haven't seen anything that would make me think they are doing enough business through PSN to offset other lost sales.

Beth Cyra

Ridley327 said:
The actual MH content in the game is pretty marginal (it comprises a mere 8 missions, with half of them being very slight background changes), but the influence on the game allows for more bite-sized chunks that can be focused on a certain task, like holding up a number of enemies or recovering secret plans. Most of the game is also playable with at least two people, so you can have fun there.

Actually this is probably the first thing I have heard that almost makes me regret not picking it up.

That was the best part of the Sunstance version of MGS 2 for me, love the extra missions for it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lagspike_exe said:
Suggesting what? What could be the possible use of UMD drivers on ANY platform except on the PSP itself?

I'm suggesting that the contents of the emulator seem to be more appropriate for a full PSP emulator than for just Minis.

For example, what are the restrictions on Minis online/network functionality?

Seems this month people downplay the 360 sales win, any month the PS3 would even get close to first and this forum would be flipping out in joy. Any further proof neogaf hates the 360?

Gravijah

TruePrime said:
Hate what they did to Big Boss and I think The Boss is the worst thing to happen to Metal Gear so I can't say I mind to much.

Wow, you don't like The Boss? You're dead to me. DEAD!

Ridley327

TruePrime said:
Actually this is probably the first thing I have heard that almost makes me regret not picking it up.

That was the best part of the Sunstance version of MGS 2 for me, love the extra missions for it.
The biggest problem I have with the game is that the mission variety in the Extra Ops craters in the last 50 or so, since they're all remixed boss battles. They sadly don't have anywhere near the variety of MGS2:S's more inspired bits, but everything outside of the mech battles is pretty damn solid.

Beth Cyra

swanlee597 said:
Seems this month people downplay the 360 sales win, any month the PS3 would even get close to first and this forum would be flipping out in joy. Any further proof neogaf hates the 360?

Only a few people did that, most simply point out what is likely the cause of the bump, firesale's, slim and all that. Hardly anyone is trying to take anything away from the Xbox 360's "Win"

Stumpokapow said:
I'm suggesting that the contents of the emulator seem to be more appropriate for a full PSP emulator than for just Minis.

For example, what are the restrictions on Minis online/network functionality?

The emulator is perfectly capable of emulating any PSP title (although performance may be an issue) since Minis is native PSP application. Sony chose to restrict it to Minis only for various reasons.

Tron 2.0

swanlee597 said:
Shut it down. Shut it all down.

Beth Cyra

Gravijah said:
Wow, you don't like The Boss? You're dead to me. DEAD!

Sorry but I will never believe inserting a character that didn't exist prior to MGS 3 in to a story that was almost 20 years old and making her the center at which everything happens was a good decision.

That and I prefered the idea of a crazy renegade Big Boss that was doing was he felt was right.

I didn't need or want them to humanize him and try to justify it, he was good where I had to try and understand his reasoning, not so much when they decide to shove it in my face.

Gravijah

Lagspike_exe said:
The emulator is perfectly capable of emulating any PSP title (although performance may be an issue) since Minis is native PSP application. Sony chose to restrict it to Minis only for various reasons.

Like not completely cannibalizing the PSPs already... pitiful sales?

Why is PS3 so high? Really surprised to see the PS3 competing this month. What came out to give it this boost? Shortage issues solved? Also, the PSP needs to die in a fire at this point. It seems they are wasting good Kevin Butler marketing dollars on this Marcus shit for nothing. The 3DS is now announced, if Sony wants to stay in the handheld market they had better have a PSP2 announcement ready for TGS. Expected a bigger boost from the 360 slim. Don't really expect it to do much for MS in the long run. The Wii and DS are of course strong as usual.

seady

Basically, anything released on the PSP = donation to people who pirate games. :lol

If a publisher wants to donate anything to the public, release games on the PSP.

Gravijah

Ridley327 said:
There's nothing left to cannibalize! :lol :lol :lol

The PSP has to be pure profit these days. 6 years old and 169.99+? I'd try to get as much as I could out of selling hardware, even though it's getting lower and lower and lower and lower.

Top Bottom