• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

erawsd

omg @ Wii + Wii U < 100k

holy shit

SadReggie.jpg

Orayn

I feel the Wii U and Vita are both experiencing a kind of Bolivian Army Ending, except the camera just keeps rolling and we see them stumbling around with horrible wounds but still not dying. Everyone's horrified and nobody can look away.

Zones

Oh, and vita is officially dead. Very close to 4 digits.

Any idea about the digital sales of Vita?

Oh and Tearaway too please! I know retail sales are around ~57k, but digital sales for that particular title is well believed to be ten fold, just like the digital Vita's sales for this month.

there's no point for this spoiler, all is clearly well

Well, this generation belongs to the PS4. No turning things around, I think it is done.

Xbone? Not going to touch 360 numbers at the end of the day.

Wii U? Will be far and away Nintendo's worst selling home console.

Vita? Time for Sony to jump out of handheld gaming.

I was also thinking it doesn't sound THAT bad. I'm surprised so many people are acting surprised.

Something like 75k/20k doesn't seems reasonable, and not far off from expectations.

Probably doesn't sound that bad because the system had no big release in March. The quiet up tick?

I was also thinking it doesn't sound THAT bad. I'm surprised so many people are acting surprised.

Something like 75k/20k doesn't seems reasonable, and not far off from expectations.
No one should be surprised.

But the idea that something like 75K isn't THAT bad... :/

The reason why Vita sales are low is they are prepping the launch of the Borderlands 2 bundle. Original models are being phased out. It will bounce back.
Let a Vita lover dream.

Hearing the audible groans whenever a developer mentioned the vita in a positive light at a PAX panel was heartbreaking.

If you can't get that crowd on board, there's not much hope.

The vita is a hyper niche enthusiast device by now. Anyone in the market to buy one is going to be waiting for the 2k.

Not that there's very many of these, I'd be surprised if it was over 30k per month, but I can't think of ANY reason to buy a vita right now over the 2k.

you could buy a vita to throw at people for all I care, just buy a vita! Everyone should have to buy a vita, it should be like what you do when you hit a certain age. 16? Drivers license. 18? Lotto tickets. 19? Booze. 20? VITA.

TomShoe

Banned
Any idea about the digital sales of Vita?

Oh and Tearaway too please! I know retail sales are around ~57k, but digital sales for that particular title is well believed to be ten fold, just like the digital Vita's sales for this month.

there's no point for this spoiler, all is clearly well

Please, you're making me tear up.

Sandfox

Is it the car culture or the price hurting the Vita? They were doing it here for NZ$250 with a 16GB and a bunch of Lego games and it flew off the shelves. It's a great little machine. I'd hate to have to stick to iOS and old Sega games. :(

Its probably the SW given that the system is thriving off of niche games and it has to compete with Nintendo's games. The memory price is probably an issue as well.

Orayn

A bunch of shareholders are looking very angry at Iwata but then he reveals that Wii U is slightly better than last year, and they all vote to give him another year or two to explore the reasons for this. Just imagine how high Wii U sales will be in March 2019.

Nintengerbils and Mario Teaches Cooking will spearhead the QoL lineup, everything will be okay.

A bunch of shareholders are looking very angry at Iwata but then he reveals that Wii U is slightly better than last year, and they all vote to give him another year or two to explore the reasons for this. Just imagine how high Wii U sales will be in March 2019.

I'm glad the numbers are miserable. They need to get off their asses, get their account system caught up past the stone age, beef up their virtual console, etc. I love Nintendo but there is just so much they could be doing that they're not doing. There's the basic argument that the Wii U is a decent machine with a lineup of extremely solid games, but then there's also the fact that they're pushing digital really hard but have yet to implement a universal account system of any type.

Even if you factor that a lot of placeshave stopped selling the oled model, that is shocking news. I mean places like amazon still sell it right?

No wonder Kevin Dent was downplaying the NPDs a short while ago :lol

Dear god, thanks for this. I was reading through his tweets the past few hours and he is borderline having a meltdown. Its funny, but people have proven him wrong many times, and he says "I am blocking you!" He has blocked like 3 different in the last few hours after these people were having totally civil conversations with him after they have proven him completely wrong.

His big thing is the NPD are not reliable, they have been up to 47% off of accurate console sales in the past, and he is even arguing that the Xbox One sales numbers are sold to customers, not shipped, even though everyone is calling him out on it.

From reading responses over the web I've learned that Sony is doomed once...

The power of the Cloud topples Sony since the PS4 isnt future proof and doesnt have access to 300k Azure Servers..

Sony goes Bankrupt..

Sony has absolutely nothing to offer in the future thus allowing the Xbone to gain ground due to its never ending slew of blockbuster titles and..Cloud power!

And lastly, Sony is in more territories so the numbers are skewed.

Well, this generation belongs to the PS4. No turning things around, I think it is done.

Xbone? Not going to touch 360 numbers at the end of the day.

Wii U? Will be far and away Nintendo's worst selling home console.

Vita? Time for Sony to jump out of handheld gaming.
Does the Virtual Boy count?

DrkSage

I wanted to buy a vita for a long time mostly because of remote play on the ps4, that and also I downloaded MH:FU trough ps+ and playing it on my psp is a pain on the ass
dat d-pad camera

I'm glad the numbers are miserable. They need to get off their asses, get their account system caught up past the stone age, beef up their virtual console, etc. I love Nintendo but there is just so much they could be doing that they're not doing. There's the basic argument that the Wii U is a decent machine with a lineup of extremely solid games, but then there's also the fact that they're pushing digital really hard but have yet to implement a universal account system of any type.
I'm not really sure where the optimism comes from that this failure will lead Nintendo to strive and change and invest towards recapturing this market, as opposed to simply pushing Nintendo further towards retreating from this market and pursuing others (QoL)...
Oh it's bad....just not as bad as other months. Wasn't April or May of 2013 less than 40k for Wii U? I seem to remember one really really extra bad month in there.
April and May tend to be less than March. The US summer in general tends to lull. Although this May has a major release at least.

noobasuar

Banned
Gaming seems pretty dead when a big name like Metal Gear sells like that.

Good luck to all publishers that need to sell a few million copies of thier games just to break even.

Top Bottom