• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

None of the things you've mentioned would improve sales

Definitely not implying otherwise. Of course they wouldn't improve sales, but I think it would make people more comfortable making digital purchases. If I took a sledgehammer to my PS3 or Vita or Xbox or whatever I wouldn't lose my digital purchases. It's the fact that they're pushing digital but refuse to update their account system.

DaBoss

While the Xbox One should be doing better, it is doing some good numbers. People want the PS4 because it offers the consumers what they want, so people are buying the PS4.

Microsoft should take note of what the PS4 is doing right compared to the Xbox One and fix the issues. The coming months will be an uphill battle for Microsoft and hopefully they do the right thing.

klee123

Oh, and vita is officially dead. Very close to 4 digits.

Welp, this certainly explains why Sony made the localization announcements this week. We can pretty much expect the Vita being pushed aside during E3.

Then, again I'm surprised that Sony is even bothering to do anymore localizations.

Creamsugar says over a million, so that's something.

Wait, seriously!? Is that just Xbox One? Or both Xbox One and PC? If it's just for the Xbox One, that's fucking awesome. I was seriously expecting 500k at the max for my most optimistic prediction. Maybe 600k at the most. Realistically, I was thinking in the mid 400k range for just the USA, because I was trying to factor in the fact that you need a gold subscription.

Prompto

Banned
True. But did the general public really know that?
The game was strictly marketed towards hardcore gamers who knew what the game consisted of. There was no billboards or commercials or a lot of advertisements on the internet or in stores. It can almost be considered a small release. Considering that, it sold quite well for a demo.

Yasumi

Banned
The usual publishers (Sony Japan, NISA, Atlus, Aksys, XSEED, Tecmo) will probably continue localizing Vita stuff, since sales apparently turned out pretty favorably. Probably won't be seeing many more titles outside of stuff they publish and indies though. Not that I'm complaining. Always knew North America had horrible tas- I mean, tastes that don't fall in line with my particular niche.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I was honestly surprised when people thought the Xbox One would pick up and beat the PS4. Glad I was on the other side of the fence, a game might save a console but Titanfall was not the game that would help it beat the hype train PS4 has. Hopefully Nintendo is plotting the assassination of Microsoft to take 2nd place....
I only say that cause of TLG.... Always #1.

nice to see that sony is buying its own hardware....

Hmmmm.... I don't know how to respond to this.

antitrop

Wait, seriously!? Is that just Xbox One? Or both Xbox One and PC? If it's just for the Xbox One, that's fucking awesome. I was seriously expecting 500k at the max for my most optimistic prediction. Maybe 600k at the most. Realistically, I was thinking in the mid 400k range for just the USA, because I was trying to factor in the fact that you need a gold subscription.

How many people do you think bought retail copies of Titanfall on PC? Like two dozen, maybe?

prag16

Banned
April and May tend to be less than March. The US summer in general tends to lull. Although this May has a major release at least.
Iirc, only two days of tracking in May NPD for Kart. That'll transfer part of the initial bump to June, and probably end up having both months look underwhelming.

At least April will be the last sub-100k month of the year for Wii U, right?

RIGHT????

What was FFXIII-2's first month? LR was <165K. Range for FFXHD.

Health and wellness technology is a huge market
which I have little confidence Nintendo can really make huge in-roads into.
I'm not really sure where the idea that QoL is Nintendo's backdoor out of the industry comes from either. Iwata himself (yeah yeah, he runs his mouth a lot) said that it's merely another revenue route, and that they are very much invested in gaming. Every company wishes to have more roots that can pump money.
I don't know if QoL is a backdoor, but I don't really see where in recent history one can point to Nintendo reacting to this sort of competition combatively.

PS4 rules the roost it seems. Looks like MS' big effort wasn't enough. Solid Numbers for Xbone though. Wii U is Wii U, but even its crap numbers look good compared to the Vita.

FFX/X-2 numbers?

Gator86

Oh Vita and Wii U it's painful to just look at you anymore.
jL7aDJx.gif

I'm glad I stuck around for the after party gifs.

Orayn

According to the creamiest of sugars, Infamous sold between 440k and 500k, and Titanfall sold more than twice as much, so a bare minimum of 880,001 copies. :p

nice to see that sony is buying its own hardware....

Nice username and post, bruh.

Tripon

Hey, two months being the only previously released system being up yoy in a row ... One more and that's a TREND! When you're Nintendo now, you take your tiny wins to the BANK. LITERALLY. They need it.

Yoshi sold almost as much as previous release, and donkey only down like 35%ish... Not terrible, given the circumstance.

Dark souls being up30% in first four weeks to last release, ffx HD selling more than and almost more than ff13-3 and ff13-2 is very nice, and south park crushing any comparable liscence title are all good In my book.

(I'm going to avoid titanfall since it's a hot button here, but I fail to see anything wrong with its performance so far. Personally not my kinda game tho)
I feel like John Hawker is telling us something. It is time to deep dive with a keyblade to unlock the information.

noobasuar

Banned
The game was strictly marketed towards hardcore gamers who knew what the game consisted of. There was no billboards or commercials or a lot of advertisements on the internet or in stores. It can almost be considered a small release. Considering that, it sold quite well for a demo.

Yeah I totally forgot there was no commercials on t.v. Well either way it doesn't seem like any of the new games sold all that well. I can't really see what AAA game is going to come close to matching titanfall sales except the usaul yearly franchises.

Orayn

I went out for dinner so what did I miss ?

Vita has no pulse, many GAFers are still being treated for symptoms of being LEGIT SHOOK, and the mod wars injected enough levity that we didn't have any blatant "BAN ME!" shitposts until this page.

All in all, a very nice NPD thread.

jmizzal

Hey, two months being the only previously released system being up yoy in a row ... One more and that's a TREND! When you're Nintendo now, you take your tiny wins to the BANK. LITERALLY. They need it.

Yoshi sold almost as much as previous release, and donkey only down like 35%ish... Not terrible, given the circumstance.

Dark souls being up30% in first four weeks to last release, ffx HD selling more than and almost more than ff13-3 and ff13-2 is very nice, and south park crushing any comparable liscence title are all good In my book.

(I'm going to avoid titanfall since it's a hot button here, but I fail to see anything wrong with its performance so far. Personally not my kinda game tho)

I cant believe WiiU is up over last year and with really only one big game released on the system all year, imagine if Nintendo and 3rd parties released games on it, will do even better nothing major but it would help.

Top Bottom