• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I'm not denying that it's always been good, but...I need to remind you that it's the Wii U we're talking about. The console was having mid-to-major problems in selling Nintendo games as well, up to the first half of 2014. Then, after Mario Kart 8 released, sales for Nintendo games got better across the board (aside from Bayonetta 2 ;_; even if it was the sequel of a title that went over 350,000 units in US with a major contribution from deep price cuts and it was having some sort of legs, up to January...). Mario Party 10 continues the trend.

Could be.

Personally I just think it's a continuation of the idea that Mario is synonymous with quality and people buy the title as a result of it, regardless of Wii U's trouble - best selling titles are with Mario as a headliner.

I think amiibo effect might be helping it too though to give credit where is due, in part with the marketing card you say so yeah maybe so but other first-party titles still sell like shit ;.;

Jomjom

Banned
As someone who isn't even enjoying Bloodborne, it's sad that Hardline won out really. Obviously it has a sufficient market to attract people, but it's unfortunate to see a game that is, in basically every way, inferior to its predecessor get rewarded at the tills.

First Person Shooters get purchased even by people who don't consider themselves "gamers". BB is a game where basically only enthusiast gamers would purchase. THere's no helping that.

Shootbang is a time honored tradition. Never underestimate

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Battlefield series - which is why I didn't buy Hardline. I'm not entirely sure who is buying it. You don't get the big battlefield, cool vehicles of BF and the close quarters stuff has always been inferior to CoD in my experience. Hardline - in the beta at least - just seemed like an awkward mix, taking all the worst bits of Battlefield and throwing out the good stuff.

XIII sold 6.7 million if I am not mistaken, 2 million are from Japan alone.

If the West can make up for the lost sales in Japan, surely, but I doubt so.

Final sales are hard to compare. Some games gets discounted after a couple of months and Sony used to have a Greatest Hits label, but now even mediocre games can sell forever thanks to digital stores.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
allan-bh said:
Why PS4 owners are making that move and Xbox One owners not?
The numbers probably aren't drastically different either way, so even a few % change in retail/DD ratio could be enough.

Toki767

Why PS4 owners are making that move and Xbox One owners not?

It could be that with all the indie games on PSN, PS4 users are just more used to shopping for games digitally.

It's still probably around 10-15% though. Low enough to not matter a lot, but high enough to still make a difference if numbers are close?

The franchise name got it to chart. Everything else related to the actual package itself ($60, PSP remaster, etc...) didn't help at all.

The PS4 was not lacking for games or anything in March and the Xbox One is not really a JRPG console.

In the end people just thought there were better options out there.
i did hear that mS attempted that by releasing a lot of exclusive jrpgs on the 360s, to no avail though.

GnawtyDog

Banned
It could be that with all the indie games on PSN, PS4 users are just more used to shopping for games digitally.

First console to have both digital pre-ordering and have digital pre-loading? + that clock......Not to mention how easy it's. Beats going to gamestop at midnight.

Yeah, there ain't gonna be another Reasy at Dawn console game me feels. Order 1886 cannot have been cheap considering how long it was in development, flopped critically and also commercially. That's a three way knock out. Bloodborne I doubt cost as much, even if it did the game has decent sales and critical acclaim. I can see one of those devs getting money and one being told to turn and not look back.

ZhugeEX

Banned
No Pie Charts?

NPD%20JOKE_zpsvtffoj7n.jpg

vpance

Yeah, there ain't gonna be another Reasy at Dawn console game me feels. Order 1886 cannot have been cheap considering how long it was in development, flopped critically and also commercially. That's a three way knock out. Bloodborne I doubt cost as much, even if it did the game has decent sales and critical acclaim. I can see one of those devs getting money and one being told to turn and not look back.

I wonder what their sales expectations were. I hope it wasn't like 3mil or something, otherwise Shu and gang are in for a major reality check. Cinematic gameplay lite games just aren't ever going to be very popular, save for Telltale stuff.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
the sales of Mario and Zelda games and related spinoffs got better

the sales of everything else went nowhere

Well, so far those have been the major Nintendo titles released after MK8, + Bayonetta 2 and Kirby. While Bayonetta 2 surely didn't do that well (it's possibly having some "legs" and performing favourably compared to PS3 and 360 SKUs of the original, but still), Kirby...eh, I'd be interested in knowing how much Kirby sold this month. It was slightly more than 50,000 past month.

Even with the improvements compared to the past, it's still the Wii U we're talking about, unfortunately.

But, I agree with others that Splatoon sales will be pretty interesting in this sense to watch unfold.

It isn't?

I'd put it in a similar category to Xenoblade 3D in the Media Crate threads when it opened around 50K over 2 weeks. As an isolated project, it probably recouped its investment. But as part of a wider multi-pronged multimedia franchise it was a massive disappointment. In Xenoblade 3D's case it was at the centerpiece of the announcement and promotion of the N3DS, it is a game that had extremely positive word of mouth, and Nintendo had been promoting its sequel as a key part of their spring 2015 lineup. For it to only do 60% of the unpromoted and unnoticed Wii original must have come as a disappointment.

Type-0 was a pretty cheap remake. Outside some minimal camera work and the dub, you basically got something you could have gotten by bumping up the resolution on a PC emulator. I can't believe that it wouldn't cover costs with a mere 300K sales between America+Japan, though knowing SE's management style who knows. But it is an original Final Fantasy game on platforms that have a decent installed base and no competition in that genre. It launched with a extensive demo of Final Fantasy XV, and while that might not have been much on its own, a demo 1/10th the length of Final Fantasy VIII managed to help sell Brave Fencer Mushashi in the West. In that sense the sales can't be anything but a warning sign of franchise and perhaps genre fatigue, and SE would be right to be worried about the game's performence going forward. Especially as stylistically Final Fantasy XV looks quite similar(character designs, project head). They might have to rethink the way they intend to promote it.

"Pachter: The Order 1886 Could Sell 5 Million By 2015 End, 10-12 Million If Sony Opts For A PS4 Bundle" . Did this guy still working on Gametrailers?

Top Bottom