• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

Tubie

Very happy with Bloodborne and Hardline at the top. Not every month I get to buy and enjoy two great games like these, March was great.

Type-0 bomba is not surprising, $60 for a PSP remake was never going to light up the charts.

Do people think XV will sell more than XIII?

I don't think it will even come close.

The 3 FFXIII games did a lot of damage to the Final Fantasy brand.

Pie-Pyramid-620x311.png
Lmfao

jwhit28

How are people deducing this from the sales of 2 sequels nobody asked for, an MMO, ports and a remaster of a 4 year old PSP game?

We have yet to see empirical evidence of this outside of chatter on internet message boards.

All those games covered a huge period of time. Final Fantasy XII will be about a decade old when FFXV comes out.

There's a reason for no one asked for this sequels.

Yes, because they didn't like Final Fantasy XIII. In what way does that suggest the brand as a whole was damaged?

We can't come to any sort of conclusion until FFXV drops and we get hard sales numbers. If we were judging the health of a franchise based on spin offs and ports then half the big franchises out there would be 'damaged' as well.

Daemul

Nope, the competition with Sony is real. Remember how Sony spinned November sales by using Amazon Black Friday charts?

I remember that, everyone in the NPD predictions thread thought it was a fake statement posted by a troll.

MechaX

How are people deducing this from the sales of 2 sequels nobody asked for, an MMO, ports and a remaster of a 4 year old PSP game?

We have yet to see empirical evidence of this outside of chatter on internet message boards.

I can think that the FF brand has likely been damaged since the Lightning saga, but what we have seen so far cannot properly illustrate it. You have a PSP game which has been clamored for by the hardcore, but hit with a not-stellar remaster/overpriced/what-have you, and an MMO which actually proves the oppose of brand damage in some ways given how extensive of a revival ARR was.

It's like a Kingdom Hearts scenario, where we won't truly, truly see how much damage all the spin-offs across multiple different platforms had on the mainline until the mainline game actually hits.

You don't think FFXIII damaged the brand? There's a reason why FFXIII-2 and XIII-3 sold significantly worse than FXIII. I'm not saying the FFXV is not going to sell well, but I won't be surprised if it sells worse(by a million or so) than FFXIII.

allan-bh

Yes, because they didn't like Final Fantasy XIII. In what way does that suggest the brand as a whole was damaged?

We can't come to any sort of conclusion until FFXV drops and we get hard sales numbers. If we were judging the health of a franchise based on spin offs and ports then half the big franchises out there would be 'damaged' as well.

A bad game (or 3 bad games in that case) usually damage a franchise.

Xenus

I think it'll do less upfront without a Destiny level marketing campaign but could possibly do more depending on the reception to the game.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Basically what Toki said. I think MS will do some even crazier fire sales for the XB1, but not just during the holidays.

But Microsoft have already done some crazy sales in the first year on sale and they're still behind the PS4. Even now with the permanent price drop the gap is growing.

What do you think will happen when PS4 drops the price?

Basically what Toki said. I think MS will do some even crazier fire sales for the XB1, but not just during the holidays.

the Ps4 is cheaper to manufacture than the Xbox one is, and scales down in price more easily thanks to economies of scale on the GDDR5 RAM.

The only way Microsoft can undercut Sony on Price is if Sony allows it- which is pretty much what happened last holiday season.

By the end of last December the XB1 fire-sale was already starting to fade in effectiveness, and even at a lower price now they are losing. As the PS4 lowers in price the fire-sales will become less and less effective, and even with the unbelievably good deals the Xbox One didn't come particularly close to catching up.

Unless the fire sale you are talking about is "Buy Halo 5, get an Xbox One free", I don't think it's happening.

Welfare

But Microsoft have already done some crazy sales in the first year on sale and they're still behind the PS4. Even now with the permanent price drop the gap is growing.

Obviously the Xbox One will start winning.

Maybe, but they still have profitability to worry about. They crazier you get, the more you have to "stay crazy" if you get what I mean. Of course I don't have insight into MS' financials, but fire sales can't be good for their profits (in the Xbox division).

ReBurn

Gold Member
the Ps4 is cheaper to manufacture than the Xbox one is, and scales down in price more easily thanks to economies of scale on the GDDR5 RAM.

The only way Microsoft can undercut Sony on Price is if Sony allows it- which is pretty much what happened last holiday season.

I don't think that's how it works.

GnawtyDog

Banned

MS will match with a price drop until we reach negative revenue. If that's even possible.

Bgamer90

Banned
So is it pretty much set in stone that PS4 will be number 1 this generation in the US?

Wouldn't say it's set in stone yet without knowing what's going to happen in late 2015 as well as the many months after that but PS4 being #1 in the U.S. is the safer bet.

small44

You don't think FFXIII damaged the brand? There's a reason why FFXIII-2 and XIII-3 sold significantly worse than FXIII. I'm not saying the FFXV is not going to sell well, but I won't be surprised if it sells worse(by a million or so) than FFXIII.

I think if Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster sold worse then FXIII-2 or FXIII-3 it would be the case

I don't think theres much credibility in the argument when using the example that XIII-2 and LR sold less than XIII. Well, yeah? They're spin offs, to a game that was received rather averagely. They are in no way a reflection on the overall health of the brand. If FFXIV had come out, and been a fully fledged single player title, and sold a lot less than XIII then I'd accept it. But that isn't the case.

I mean heres the thing - FFX-2 sold significantly less than FFX. Did X also damage the brand? That argument is built on a false premise. Even if FFXV sold a million less than FFXIII, how is that any indication that the brand is damaged? XII sold less than X, VIII and IX sold less than VII.

I can think that the FF brand has likely been damaged since the Lightning saga, but what we have seen so far cannot properly illustrate it. You have a PSP game which has been clamored for by the hardcore, but hit with a not-stellar remaster/overpriced/what-have you, and an MMO which actually proves the oppose of brand damage in some ways given how extensive of a revival ARR was.

It's like a Kingdom Hearts scenario, where we won't truly, truly see how much damage all the spin-offs across multiple different platforms had on the mainline until the mainline game actually hits.

Yup,agree 100%. This is exactly what I mean. Right now, there is no way anyone can objectively say how much damage FFXIII did to the brand, if any, because we haven't seen a mainline release in half a decade. Until then, we can only speculate, but I keep seeing the narrative pop up with little evidence to back it up.

All those games covered a huge period of time. Final Fantasy XII will be about a decade old when FFXV comes out.

This would be my concern. If this were an Assassins Creed Unity situation where you had a bad game in a franchise which otherwise offered a high degree of consistency(though people vary as to what the franchise consistently is quality-wise) I don't think it would as much of an issue. Anyone considering Assassins Creed 2015 will likely have exposure and their friends will have had exposure to quality Assassins Creed games. The problem for Square is that Final Fantasy as a series that has run a gamut of settings from sci-fi to medieval and an array of battle systems was heavily reliant on its reputation as the premier JRPG-series in terms of quality. The words Final Fantasy meant that the product you were going to buy was going to be the biggest event of the year or last two years in the genre and even when it did not work(FFVIII) it was still far and above the competition to such a degree that you didn't regret buying it. That worked not only for the mainline games, but also for FF Tactics.

We are approaching the point where as you note that it will have been a decade since anyone has had experience of a FF game that is not

1. Final Fantasy XIII or one of its spin-offs
2. An initially broken subscription-based MMO
3. A lazy PSP port which sold poorly and reviewed in a mediocre manner

It is clear why people on NeoGaf care about FFXV. It is unclear why the name should mean much to those outside of it other than big budget.

Xenus

Not really, Microsoft could decide to make stronger subsidy.

The stronger the subsidy the more likely it goes from being ignored by Microsoft investors to actively wanting axed. So while it may help sales it won't help the division overall.

I think when it's all said and done, the XB1 will be number one in the US by a few million.

I think the only way I can see this happening if Sony just woke up one day and said "fuck it, we sold enough PS4s lets stop making them" and even then I would say it would be a struggle for Microsoft to pull ahead.

Top Bottom