• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

But I standby what I said, your comment was laughable. Especially after the way the order bombed, and BB.... It will disappear from the top ten next month. Then everyone will be buying multis, and like you said the console that runs them better. Bringing us back to the specs part that is one the main things helping sony maintain those higher numbers.

Are consoles not sold during months that games are released or something?

Sure, Order did poorly. Bloodborne won't have the legs of the big, huge franchises. But on that month of release, both games played a part, however small/big it was, to push more systems. It's one extra push on top of other multiplat games. Every little bit counts, it's what slowly compounds into long-term advantages.

PS4 will sell without exclusives, because of multiplats + specs. But games like Bloodborne, etc are what makes the difference between say... a 100k sales gap, as compared to say... a 90k sales gap. (throwing a random number out there)

molnizzle

First impressions do go a long way though. Halo is a disaster granted, but the nothing to play for 6 months comment is laughable. I hope that you are not trying to paint games like the order and BB as system sellers?

Because they most certainly aren't.

Obviously The Order isn't a system seller, but Bloodborne definitely is. Anecdotally I know at least three different people who literally bought PS4's last month for Bloodborne. I highly doubt that they're outliers... people love the Souls games. Mainly because they're some of the best (if not the best) video games ever created by humans.

I wonder if Bloodborne might just have been the top selling game last month if PSN sales were included in NPD? Digital distribution on PS4 is responsible for a much larger percentage of new game sales than I think people realize.

jayu26

PS4 had two exclusives in March..and 100k difference in March isn't exactly a huge number in the grand scheme of things.
Considering current LTD is as below and looking at this holiday release schedule,
X1 has a real good shot of over taking PS4 after this holiday season is over.
Unless they sell Xbone for $259 with Halo bundled, they are not going to overcome more than a million deficit. You can avatar bet on that.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Glad to see Bloodborne and Type-0 do well. Hopefully Japanese devs are noticing these sales numbers and they start to kick that flawed notion that 'only western games will sell in the west on consoles'.

BadWolf

PS4 had two exclusives in March..and 100k difference in March isn't exactly a huge number in the grand scheme of things.
Considering current LTD is as below and looking at this holiday release schedule,

Jeez.

500k RETAIL ONLY in America for the first 12 days is not conservative.

Not sure why you're jumping on him like that, when MGS4 did ~750k month 1 on a similar sized (actually slightly smaller) userbase.

The 12 days really doesn't matter, its a title thats going to have very front loaded sales as it has in other territories.

Forgive me, Nightengale.

I kid, I kid.

Still, the numbers speak for themselves. Toukiden was never going to make a notable blip anyway, but being drowned by Hardline and Bloodborne just makes it worse.

Not sure why you're jumping on him like that, when MGS4 did ~750k month 1 on a similar sized (actually slightly smaller) userbase.

The 12 days really doesn't matter, its a title thats going to have very front loaded sales as it has in other territories.

Well, the fact that it's MGS makes a whole, whole, lot of difference.

I'm sure Bloodborne would had stood a small chance to win NPDs if Battlefield Hardline was instead called Cop and Robbers : Hardline.

This is only focusing on the US of course, which is Wii U's best territory.
It's doing far worse everywhere else. In Japan, it's behind the 360 version of Bayonetta.
Unless they desperately want to appease this very small subset of gamers, I highly doubt Nintendo is considering anything further.
I wouldn't be surprised if they try again on another platform. Maybe if their next handheld is Wii U/near Wii U level they could reuse the engine and a lot of assets from Bayo 1 and 2 and make a new game.

Sure, if PS4 is selling for $400 during holiday and Xbox is $250.
I don't see the gap during this holiday being any bigger than this past holiday, probably even smaller if the PS4 gets a price drop. And just like what has happened now any gap closing that MS does during the holiday will be completely undone and possibly made larger through out 2016.

In no way can anyone say that 500k for Bloodbonre is a conservative estimate. Sammy is just trying to donwplay things as usual.

Somnia

Are consoles not sold during months that games are released or something?

Sure, Order did poorly. Bloodborne won't have the legs of the big, huge franchises. But on that month of release, both games played a part, however small/big it was, to push more systems. It's one extra push on top of other multiplat games. Every little bit counts, it's what slowly compounds into long-term advantages.

PS4 will sell without exclusives, because of multiplats + specs. But games like Bloodborne, etc are what makes the difference between say... a 100k sales gap, as compared to say... a 90k sales gap. (throwing a random number out there)

I do find it funny that PS4 sales didn't exactly shoot up for Bloodborne, but obviously it did help sell systems. That's what games do, even if it only sold 50k it still SOLD SYSTEMS. The funny part though is that when this exact same thing happened with Titanfall people said it wasn't a system seller and still do. When it clearly increased sales for March when it came out.

A game doesn't have to move systems like Destiny did last Sept. for Sony to be a system seller, the whole point is to make games to get people to buy systems. They may not all happen month of release, some people may buy a system 6 months before the game they really want just to have it, hence it sold a system even though it was way in advance (or way after whichever is the case).

Kill3r7

Yep. Hate to play the stereotype, but all the 'bawks gamers I know don't really buy anything outside of CoD/BF/Halo, GTA and sports titles.

You are right, popular games sell really well. You pretty much named the best selling games on either console over the last 2 gens. Unfortunately, the trend has not changed as Killzone and Titanfall are probably the best selling "exclusives" on either console so far.

BadWolf

Sure, if PS4 is selling for $400 during holiday and Xbox is $250.
I don't see the gap during this holiday being any bigger than this past holiday, probably even smaller if the PS4 gets a price drop. And just like what has happened now any gap closing that MS does during the holiday will be completely undone and possibly made larger through out 2016.

It would be pretty funny if MS is the only one to drop price like that and the X1 sells cheaper than WiiU.

Just quickly because I've got to go. Perhaps it came across wrong. Ofcourse alot games sell systems. But lets be honest here, games like BB aint pushing big numbers in the slightest. Yearly franchises push more of each system I would bet.

But I standby what I said, your comment was laughable. Especially after the way the order bombed, and BB.... It will disappear from the top ten next month. Then everyone will be buying multis, and like you said the console that runs them better. Bringing us back to the specs part that is one the main things helping sony maintain those higher numbers.

First I agree with everything you said except that it's just not laughable. Exclusives help maintain momentum. So people that are on the fence have no reason to get the X1 until the holiday period.

I do find it funny that PS4 sales didn't exactly shoot up for Bloodborne, but obviously it did help sell systems. That's what games do, even if it only sold 50k it still SOLD SYSTEMS. The funny part though is that when this exact same thing happened with Titanfall people said it wasn't a system seller and still do. When it clearly increased sales for March when it came out.

A game doesn't have to move systems like Destiny did last Sept. for Sony to be a system seller, the whole point is to make games to get people to buy systems. They may not all happen month of release, some people may buy a system 6 months before the game they really want just to have it, hence it sold a system even though it was way in advance (or way after whichever is the case).

People who said Titanfall wasn't a system seller were morons.

Just because it lost to PS4 doesn't mean anything other than the reality that XB1 sales would had been atrocious without Titanfall.

In no way can anyone say that 500k for Bloodbonre is a conservative estimate. Sammy is just trying to donwplay things as usual.

Well I think that Bloodborne is a niche title where a lot of people don't, so I think it did pretty well, but its the first critically acclaimed exclusive on a platform thats relatively starved of content so I don't think 500k estimations are laughably overblown.

EDIT:
Nintendo "We don't need to do a price drop this holiday, people will see the value of the Wii U."

I've said it before, Nintendos concern with the WiiU is profitability not marketshare.
I wouldn't expect price cuts from them because as a business they need to ride the generation out, not slit their own throat to appease an audience that is indifferent to what they offer.

Well those people are morons cause it was absolutely a system seller

Bruno MB

Bloodborne

Japan (3 weeks of tracking) - 183,456
North America (2 weeks of tracking) - 389,000
United Kingdom (3 weeks of tracking) - 73,842

Worldwide digital sales - 155,000

Total - 801,298

Well those people are morons cause it was absolutely a system seller

10460050-1.gif

Well I guess that depends on a person's subjective definition of a system seller. I only consider a game a system seller if it pushes lots of hardware, games like Halo 3, Final Fantasy VII and Pokemon Red and Blue. That's just my definition. That's not to say that games like Bloodborne don't sell systems, I just don't think they move enough to be considered a "system seller".

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

I'm not jumping on anyone. 500k in the first 12 days in America for Bloodborne is not a conservative prediction

I've said it before, Nintendos concern with the WiiU is profitability not marketshare.
I wouldn't expect price cuts from them because as a business they need to ride the generation out, not slit their own throat to appease an audience that is indifferent to what they offer.

They could still probably drop the price to at least $250 and still make a profit. If the PS4 and Xbox One get permanent price drops to $300 this year and and Wii U doesn't budge that is likely going to have bad results for Nintendo, even if they aren't directly competing.

I'm not jumping on anyone. 500k in the first 12 days in America for Bloodborne is not a conservative prediction

I really don't see how "12 days" has any relevance.
what do you think the delta between "12 days" and, say, 45 days is?

They could still probably drop the price to at least $250 and still make a profit.

I'm not sure that's true.
They don't have any efficiencies in production costs to leverage, because they're still sitting on a warehouse of unsold WiiUs from their launch shipment.

Elandyll

Banned

Given that we are 99% chance going to see a PS4 price drop, it's not gonna happen (I know many like Bgamer90 predict a humongous October thanks to Halo 5, but imo most fans already have the console thanks to the MCC and the Halo 5 beta in late December 14). Note that I'm not saying that the XB1 won't win a single month this year (best chance could be the month before the price drop becomes effective) ... but closing the gap? Not happening imo.

About this month, I actually think that the numbers (hardware) are a tad disappointing for both MS and Sony.

MS had I think 2 killer priced bundles ($349) with free ACU/ AC IV for one and free MCC for the other (providing that golden opportunity to upgrade for 360 owners, particularly with the MCC being now, or so I hear, pretty much fixed).

Sony had 2 good to great exclusives following in the footsteps of 2 (not so great) ones in February, and many special offers during most of the month (trade ins at Gamestop and Bundles at Amazon, I think even Bestbuy had something at some point involving a free camera?).

March was also a 5 week tracking period, yet BOTH are down Month over Month -and- Year over Year.

If this trend continues, it might force both manufacturers to do a price cut sooner than expected to maintain market penetration imho.

On the positive side, Bloodborne did excellent, which is I hope a good sign for DLC and a sequel :)
390k is pretty darn close to 400k or even 430k (what Hardline apparently did on either PS4 or XB1).

Unless there is a surprise announcement for a game like god of war at e3 releasing this year, the only games i see beimg "system sellers" are Metal Gear and final fantsasy. Yes, they are multiplatform, but you gotta believe a majority of fans for those games prefer playstation. I think there will be a a pretty significant bump in sales for the ps4 when they are released. And yes, i know mgs4 will be on ps3 also. But im 100% confident it will be better in every way on the ps4, and i know a few people who have been holding out on the ps4 waiting for mgs to drop.

I still think there is some sort of deal between sony and square enix for final fantasy. The safe bet is a bundle. However i think ff15 will be a timed exclusive on the ps4, which will move a bunch of units ww.

I really don't see how "12 days" has any relevance.
what do you think the delta between "12 days" and, say, 45 days is?

I'm not sure that's true.
They don't have any efficiencies in production costs to leverage, because they're still sitting on a warehouse of unsold WiiUs from their launch shipment.

Are you sure about that?

Well I guess that depends on a person's subjective definition of a system seller. I only consider a game a system seller if it pushes lots of hardware, games like Halo 3, Final Fantasy VII and Pokemon Red and Blue. That's just my definition. That's not to say that games like Bloodborne don't sell systems, I just don't think they move enough to be considered a "system seller".
But how would you know?

Just because a new game didn't cause a sudden, frontloaded spike in it's month of release, doesn't mean it didn't sell a lot of systems.

Somnia

Fair enough, I think we can say there are different levels of system sellers. Games like Uncharted 4 and Halo 5 will be massive system sellers. Games like BB help keep sales up, but don't move insane hardware.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I still think there is some sort of deal between sony and square enix for final fantasy. The safe bet is a bundle. However i think ff15 will be a timed exclusive on the ps4, which will move a bunch of units ww.

Why would FF15 need to be a timed exclusive for Playstation?

Top Bottom