• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

Hey guys just wanted to remind everyone that Chobel chickened out on his Bloodborne bet, so if you guys see him let him know ;)

Yes, I am evil. Sorry Chobel

Z3M0G

10460050-1.gif

Never stop delivering, Internet.

Chobel

Maybe he did eat it and got sick.

I wish :(, because I'll be done with hiding, I've been avoiding this thread and every other thread where Sangetsu posts like the plague. But I need to stop doing that and act like a man.

Yeah... I don't think I can do it, I'm huge pussy. I'd prefer life of shame than eating the hat, I care about my food and my health, plus I repeat, I'm a fucking coward.

I'll admit I get owned and lost the bet so I should probably be punished somehow. I'm still up for wearing a silly avatar if you like guys... Guys?
Pretty please! I'm begging here

Yeah I know, I didn't act like a man

I wish :(, because I'll be done with hiding, I've been avoiding this thread and every other thread where Sangetsu posts like the plague.

I literally laugh my ass of when I read this part, it's ok Chobel, lets find you a nice little avatar for you to wear in shame ok? No hard feelings xD

I wish :(, because I'll be done with hiding, I've been avoiding this thread and every other thread where Sangetsu posts like the plague. But I need to stop doing that and act like a man.

Yeah... I don't think I can do it, I'm huge pussy. I'd prefer life of shame than eating the hat, I care about my food and my health, plus I repeat, I'm a fucking coward.

I'll admit I get owned and lost the bet so I should probably be punished somehow. I'm still up for wearing a silly avatar if you like guys... Guys?

Buy a chocolate hat

Also, give him a tag!

ZhugeEX

Banned
Chart overload incoming....

Please note that these charts cover:
  • USA unless otherwise stated
  • Data provided via NPD, Sony, Microsoft, other research organisations as well as estimates by myself
  • All data below is as of April 4th 2015.

Please take a look-

March2_zps58qj5pjc.jpg

March1_zps4rjgbzrl.jpg

March3_zpshb4ebucc.jpg~original

March4_zpswdhwy1in.jpg

The USA accounts for ~36% of the worldwide PlayStation 4 install base.
The PlayStation 4 is the market leading console in the USA, over 700,000 units ahead of the Xbox One and more than 3,650,000 units ahead of the Wii U.

*Numbers are rounded

Welfare

I'm sure a tag would suffice.

Or just use this as an avatar.
rsz_7rbjgut.png
Even its mouth is open.

Guymelef

• Data provided via NPD, Sony, Microsoft, other research organisations as well as estimates by myself

Please take a look-

The PlayStation 4 is the market leading console in the USA, over 700,000 units ahead of the Xbox One and more than 3,650,000 units ahead of the Wii U.

*Numbers are rounded

XBO '15 bars seems wrong.

Please take a look-

*Numbers are rounded

March 15 is wrong no?

PS4 led by a 100k

Welfare

So just to be reassured, is the Wii U number 83k or 85k? 85k was used for the predictions, but creams post alluded to 82.5k being a better number to use.

Elandyll

Banned

Please take a look-

March2_zps58qj5pjc.jpg

March1_zps4rjgbzrl.jpg

March3_zpshb4ebucc.jpg~original

March4_zpswdhwy1in.jpg

*Numbers are rounded

Are the numbers correct for March 15? The XB1 looks to be way too high, no?

edit: corrected while I was typing.

Kosma

Banned
Order hasnt cracked 1 mil? :(

Such a cool game

Also sucks for Tearaway which is a masterpiece, but at least its getting a second chance on PS4

Rymuth

Very helpful.

Zhuge, can you answer me this.

How much were the cumulative sales of PS4+Xbone for January-October

And same thing for November-December?

cheers.

Used the other crow like you suggested. You ok with this Sangetsu?

EDIT: My crows putting in work. Look ye mighty at my creation and DESPAIR!

Somnia

Well March 14 vs March 15 prove how much Titanfall helped that month for sure. Next couple months should be interesting for PS4/XB1 compared to 2014. Hopefully both are up since those months were pretty ugly for both last year.

Dont be this stupid.

You can't use Amazon to work this kind of stuff out.

exactly. Amazon just flat out does not work for software.

Yes if something is doing well on Amazon is a good thing seeing it is a huge retailer, but if a game does not appear to do well on it that does not mean its flopping.

BF:HL is a good example. It did not do well at all on Amazon yet sold over 1 million in US alone. Same with MLB the Show, did not chart too well on Amazon but ended up in top 10 for the month. Evolve is another example, people were laughing at it on Amazon but it ended up having respectable sales.

Type-0 had a dominating performance on Amazon and only sold ok (not bad, not great). Bloodborne did great on Amazon and did well overall. But if we went based on Amazon it would have sold more than all BF HL SKUs combined.

Even hardware is iffy. Amazon throws up alot of deals throughout the month and it is hard to capture how much it is skewed from the rest of the market.

Welfare

Well March 14 vs March 15 prove how much Titanfall helped that month for sure. Next couple months should be interesting for PS4/XB1 compared to 2014. Hopefully both are up since those months were pretty ugly for both last year.

Xbox One will most likely be up over April and will definitely up compared to May.

PS4 though, I think will be down in April and May. April does have MKX, but it is coming off of a smaller March than last year. May won't have a Watch Dogs, so there won't be anything for a sales increase.

Game Guru

They're selling fine, but they're selling mainly to a base of hardcore collectors by this point. Getting the figures established with a range of minor features in different games is probably a good move, but I think a title built from the ground up with Amiibo in mind coupled with a decent supply of the figures has a much better chance of getting some mainstream attention, even if it can't compete with Skylanders.

A title with decent Amiibo features has finally hit the market, complete with an Amiibo bundle, and it's performed very well. I feel like it'd be a good idea to capitalise on that, is all.

Do we have any updated LTD figures on Amiibo?

The only thing selling to hardcore collectors are the more obscure Nintendo characters in the Smash Bros. line. If you've looked at Nintendo merchandise in US stores, it's invariably Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, or a general NES theme. The most common Amiibo figures are Mario characters, Zelda characters, and Pokemon with stuff like Rosalina and Lucario being exceptions. For most people, Mario figures, Zelda figures, and Pokemon figures will be enough.

Chobel

Ok, here we go:

Revised 10% to 6% factor and:

Here's my problem with your math (beside what the others said), you said "Amazon is roughly 10% of market; XB1 will have done about 60K through March accordingly", if you assume Amazon is 6% of market, then "XB1 will have done about 60K36K through March accordingly", which will bring your BB prediction to 600K once again.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Thanks ZhugeEX for the graphs.

Both console manufacturers have YoY declines.

Only Wii U has growth confirmed

Publishers don't know what they are missing [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

ZhugeEX

Banned
Very helpful.

Zhuge, can you answer me this.

How much were the cumulative sales of PS4+Xbone for January-October

And same thing for November-December?

cheers.

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One sold cumulative more than 4.63 million consoles to end users between January 2014 to October 2014. For the holiday season (November and December) the PS4 and Xbox One sold cumulative more than 4.43 million units.

Total PS4 and Xbox One sales exceeded 9.06 million units in calendar year 2014. The PS4 and Xbox One total install base has exceeded 14.42 million units since launch.

All numbers above are for USA.

Rymuth

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One sold cumulative more than 4.63 million consoles to end users between January 2014 to October 2014. For the holiday season (November and December) the PS4 and Xbox One sold cumulative more than 4.43 million units.

Thanks. This tweet always bothered me:

3213.png

Thanks ZhugeEX for the graphs.

Both console manufacturers have YoY declines.

Only Wii U has growth confirmed

Publishers don't know what they are missing [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

lol I'm totally stealing this

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

ZhugeEX

Banned
First 3 months of 2015 vs First 3 months of 2014.

Nintendo Wii U is up ~20%
Xbox One is down ~7%
PlayStation 4 is down ~4%

Thanks. This tweet always bothered me:

3213.png

It's true enough, in that November and December are always massive. Not always the case but the point stands generally speaking.

Basically don't take that quote at face value. Just generally.

It's true for Xbox though.

True dat.

Do we know if MS is going for the AssCreed marketing this time around?

Ubi got the deal of a lifetime out of it, and if MS is willing to do something like that again I am sure they wont object.

Here's my problem with your math (beside what the others said), you said "Amazon is roughly 10% of market; XB1 will have done about 60K through March accordingly", if you assume Amazon is 6% of market, then "XB1 will have done about 60K36K through March accordingly", which will bring your BB prediction to 600K once again.

Yes, I forgot to re-adjust the multiplicative factor.

First 3 months of 2015 vs First 3 months of 2014.

Nintendo Wii U is up ~20%
Xbox One is down ~7%
PlayStation 4 is down ~4%

PS4 down slightly shouldn't be that alarming given there's been no price drop. XB1 on other hand...

And it is 349 instead of 499...

WII U is first in some charts after all...

Yes and PS4 was still burning off Holiday Demand at this point (I believe they finally met demand in march or april).

I do think PS4 will be down YoY unless there is a price drop. I just dont see it getting anything close to a 575k September like Destiny got them.

Top Bottom