• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

Eolz

It would be pretty funny if MS is the only one to drop price like that and the X1 sells cheaper than WiiU.

Nintendo "We don't need to do a price drop this holiday, people will see the value of the Wii U."

I wouldn't be surprised with this. MS can sustain losing a lot of money on their console, not Nintendo (at least not right now)

This is only focusing on the US of course, which is Wii U's best territory.
It's doing far worse everywhere else. In Japan, it's behind the 360 version of Bayonetta.
Unless they desperately want to appease this very small subset of gamers, I highly doubt Nintendo is considering anything further.

Of course I was talking about the west.
Nearly every console game sells (a lot) less in Japan nowadays.
And Nintendo will keep funding mature games for hardcore gamers, like they did in the past. The point is just that Bayonetta is now a recognisable IP, and that it might be interesting for them to fund a sequel on a more popular platform this time.

AdanVC

I thought Bloodborne would be #1 this month! I totally forgot about that Battlefield game on #1... That's just how interested I am on the Battlefield franchise, hah. Props to Bloodborne! Also, so nice to see Nintendo HW going up instead of down. Mario Party 10 at #4! Even if it got destroyed in reviews still managed to position that high, that's nice! Maybe amiibo had something to do? :)

FATALITY

Banned
How do you tell? It is still placing decently on the April chart on Amazon it seems (not that Amazon ranking is that reliable for software).

You mean The Order?
An why bolded in any case :p

I think he/she might be basing it on its poor legs in Japan. How has it been doing in Europe?

Another retail insider? Fantastic! Can you divulge any more specific information?

Huh? That is not happening.

FF15 is guaranteed for Xbone though it'll likely be one of the few JRPG's the system will ever have.

Please explain how you're arriving at this conclusion.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=159377698&postcount=154

:p

How many people buy battlefield for the single player campaign??? Peak players in past 24 hours is 94,000 on all platforms including PC and for worldwide players.

Looking at trophy data I have a bunch of friends that played the Hardline campaign and didn't touch multiplayer.

Looking at trophy data I have a bunch of friends that played the Hardline campaign and didn't touch multiplayer.

Hardline has also gone on multiple sales in April dropping in price $30-40 at Target, Best Buy, and Amazon.

I don't see why Bloodborne won't continue to sell really well, word of mouth is fantastic and its the kind of game where once you play you will want to tell all your friends to play too. I haven't really done that with a lot of games.

I think type 0 released a month too early, if they had released in late April it would have been perfect. I passed on it, just didn't have room between Hardline, Bloodborne, and Mortal Kombat.

Lumyst

Of course I was talking about the west.
Nearly every console game sells (a lot) less in Japan nowadays.
And Nintendo will keep funding mature games for hardcore gamers, like they did in the past. The point is just that Bayonetta is now a recognisable IP, and that it might be interesting for them to fund a sequel on a more popular platform this time.

It's technically the second best selling M-rated title on the WiiU isn't it (behind ZombiU)? You're right though that it's not a waste for Nintendo to offer games for advanced or passionate players. In fact, other platform holders do the same, creating riskier content for video game enthusiasts, or creating content for audiences they aren't particularly strong with.

Tigress

If ffx/x-2 really sold 52k on the Vita first month, and the bone versrion of type-0 sold ~20%*200k = ~40k, the ps vita remaster actually did better in the first month.

Wow.

As some one who is bitter about type-0 not coming to Vita, good. Serves them right.

I probably would have bought it if it came to the Vita honestly (heard a lot about it but know not much but I love RPGs on my Vita and not so big on playing them on the big screen anymore).

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Square Enix should just drop the X1, 40k is pathetic. Probably not even worth the effort they put into the port.

Cindro

I'm genuinely surprised to see Mario Party 10 chart at all - let alone crack the top 5. It's definitely nice to see some Wii U representation in the software rankings, but at the same time... MP 10 probably isn't the most deserving candidate.

Mario Kart 8 should easily surpass 2 million by the end of May, what with the new DLC pack coming out. That's excellent to see - it's easily the best in the series. Great numbers for Smash as well on Wii U (relative to install base, at least). I'm hope they go all out with keeping the title refreshed via several packs of DLC (that extend beyond veterans). I'm still skeptical that the Smash Ballot is anything more than a facade to placate fans, but I sure hope I'm wrong on that.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Sell thru?
I'm not sure how that's possible at this point

Yeah, The Order legs' won't allow that. Unless it gets bundled everywhere, which could happen in Europe? But still, low odds

John, I hope I don't ask too much, but...what about MH4U this month? :p

I'm almost tempted to go into that thread and ask if he would like to have some fried crow. Because fried crow is delicious. (Not figuratively speaking.)

As some one who is bitter about type-0 not coming to Vita, good. Serves them right.

I probably would have bought it if it came to the Vita honestly (heard a lot about it but know not much but I love RPGs on my Vita and not so big on playing them on the big screen anymore).

As someone who owns the Japanese PSP release of FF Type-0, I think a Vita version of Type-0 would be less complicated to play than the PSP version but not as convenient as the PS4 version due to the lock-on and camera system. If they would let us target enemies on screen by tapping on the screen, that would be great, but I can't see Square-Enix making that kind of intelligent UI decision for the Vita.

I'll have to dig up my amazonfu numbers mumbonumbo, but I remember coming to about 350k for Bloodborne based on positioning next to Xbone in the charts. Heh.

Ok, here we go:

Doing some really janky math -> BB ~= XB1 AC. Amazon is roughly 10% of market; XB1 will have done about 60K through March accordingly. Therefore BB ~= 60K x 10 = 600k opening month. That's likely optimistic because Amazon over-represents core gamer, but perhaps we're still talking > 500k.

Revised 10% to 6% factor and:

6%? I thouht I remember it being close to 10. Anyway, they are ranked 14th and 16th respectively. I'm guessing the absolute delta tapers significantly as you progress down the ladder in rankings.

Still, if it it 6%, that would put my estimate at 360K, which is completely in-line with the other guesstimates I'm seeing right now in this thread.

I'm almost tempted to go into that thread and ask if he would like to have some fried crow. Because fried crow is delicious. (Not figuratively speaking.)

As someone who owns the Japanese PSP release of FF Type-0, I think a Vita version of Type-0 would be less complicated to play than the PSP version but not as convenient as the PS4 version due to the lock-on and camera system. If they would let us target enemies on screen by tapping on the screen, that would be great, but I can't see Square-Enix making that kind of intelligent UI decision for the Vita.

seeing as how big those crows are in Bloodborne, there will be plenty to go around :D

So why do you think that microsoft have lost every gain this gen since day one? What are you implying exactly?

I'm interested in your response

Because people don't want an X1 unless it's significantly cheaper and with free games. It doesn't have anywhere near the same value in the eyes of consumers as the PS4 and I think that's 100% evident given what we've seen. It's not a compelling product, much like the Wii U; however, at the very least unlike the Wii U, it's not doing absolutely terribly.

seeing as how big those crows are in Bloodborne, there will be plenty to go around :D

The amazing thing about Bloodborne is that it lets me kill those crows with my flamesprayer of justice. I kind of felt like this guy:
RA1rd3t.png

And this guy:
RZ184Ja.jpg

Felessan

As Type1 will most probably be a PS4 game, it's perfectly reasonable why they put Type0 to PS4 and not Vita.
They should have sold around half a million copies by now WW, with imminient price drop to 40$ range it will sell a bit more, more than enough to justify cost of porting of old game and building a fanbase for a next installment.

sörine

Banned
Its a PSP game remastered sold with FFXV demo and placed at an extortionate price. 1 million shipped must make SE very happy. They must of made easy returns on the project.

Also I don't think the sell through is that bad. DBZ XV did 100k extra (JP and US) and yet shipped 1.5 million in its first month. DBZ XV did do notably better in EU but the sales total is nowhere close to that.

If it was a FF spin off made for PS4 of course it would have done significantly better. Also no it would not have done better on Vita/3DS. Main selling point was the FFXV demo.
It's disingenuous to undersell this as just another remaster. It may be selling like one but this is an original release in western markets, and was presumably greenlit expressly for that. 50% sellthrough on a traditionally front loaded franchise like FF isn't great. SE is going to have to eat some major cuts with western retail to move this level of stock.

I also think a 3DS/Vita port would have sold better. In Japan unquestionably but even in the US I think it'd have done better timed with the n3DS launch.

Tigress

As Type1 will most probably be a PS4 game, it's perfectly reasonable why they put Type0 to PS4 and not Vita.
They should have sold around half a million copies by now WW, with imminient price drop to 40$ range it will sell a bit more, more than enough to justify cost of porting of old game and building a fanbase for a next installment.

Who said I wanted them not to put it on PS4 (it really doesn't matter to me except that I do want to see the PS4 do well so I'd have more motivation to want it on there as well as not)... I just wanted it on Vita as well. I don't care if PS4 people get to play it or not, I want to play it on my Vita.

sörine;160523938 said:
It's disingenuous to undersell this as just another remaster. It may be selling like one but this is an original release in western markets, and was presumably greenlit expressly for that. 50% sellthrough on a traditionally front loaded franchise like FF isn't great. SE is going to have to eat some major cuts with western retail to move this level of stock.

I also think a 3DS/Vita port would have sold better. In Japan unquestionably but even in the US I think it'd have done better timed with the n3DS launch.

It really depends how much work would have been involved in porting. I assume the up-port was pretty simple with only minimal work going into textures. A Vita remaster would have been as simple as upping the resolution as well since dual analog support is already possible with the PSP emulator and Japanese version.

Who knows what effort a N3DS port would have involved, but probably more than Square wanted to put in.

I do think not going PS3/PS4/PSV, which evidently is not that much work given the massive amount of software doing exactly that in Japan was a mistake. Vita would have earned a lot of goodwill at a minimum, and PS3 would have trumped XB1 sales.

If the most recent holiday season taught us anything, its that it isn't necessary to have a system wide price cut. Just offer up aggressive sales within that window. Did wonders for MS.

Endo Punk

If the most recent holiday season taught us anything, its that it isn't necessary to have a system wide price cut. Just offer up aggressive sales within that window. Did wonders for MS.

Personally I feel it decreases the value proposition for the rest of the year. There's reason MS's price flipflop didn't help its momentum going into 2015.

Ty4on

ps: Maybe he meant is out of top 40 and not sub 40k.
That's what I thought yesterday when I skimmed his post, but sub 40 position doesn't make sense.
Calculating drop it looks like 80-86% is possible with what we know so not quite the 90% someone wanted.
200-250
35-39

Rurunaki

I see the "pre-season" arguments are coming up. Sony just wants to spread out their marketing the entire year while MS wants to focus on the holidays. Nothing wrong with that, just means I get to play my ps4 more during off season and xb1 this coming holidays.

EGM1966

It's not quite that easy. For starters the general purchaser outside holiday period is different, I suspect price matters less than feeling you're getting the console that will ensure most of the time you're playing the superior version of games. Then there's the assumption that Sony wouldn't cut price too. They almost certainly have headroom and while they must love the money PS4 is generating they have to protect their market-share too; if MS cut price enough Sony would respond and then MS would be back to square one but with less margin (Sony too of course but they're the one's still raking it in globally in terms of unit sales). That's glossing over the negative impact on the market if they cut price outside holiday period and it does little to stimulate sales. Then they need to cut again during holidays to make price sensitive consumers feel the price has dropped from "pre-season" and then they're just making less margin off more or less the same sales.

Nah from what I see the price elasticity and demand curves are against them and they know it. Better to accept Sony selling better now and do the best they can during holiday period by deep cutting then and only then.

That said they will have to cut somewhat though as the gap continues to increase and of course when Sony does decide to cut price to generate further unit sales they'll have zero choice but to follow suit.

Bottom line in the current market trends the advantage lies with Sony in terms of price as they have the higher baseline demand and at a higher price too. That's pretty hard to assail actually (as the fact the XB1 remains behind PS4 heading towards it's third holiday period in US shows).

Top Bottom