• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2010

RandomVince said:
Isnt that only 4 days of sales though? It came out on the 27th of May I thought? (Ok, 5 days).

And we know the second month will likely be as big (or bigger), since Reggie said it sold 900K by June 15th or so.

Opiate

Busaiku said:
PS3 had a price drop.

Oh yes, thank you. I was incorrect.

Still, my central point: ample room for more price drops, and no obvious signs of slowdown.

If the systems do slow down significantly, then sure, Dalthein is right, that's a bind.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
the Nintendo fan in me weeps@SMG2

but my love of RDR makes me HAPPY HAPPY
This will me you feel better
barfs

jimmydean.jpg

Good for alan wake.

I bought split second and blur at least.

No alpha protocol either, or was that june? it bombed and dropped in price so fast i thought it came out months ago.

FrankT

MinnesotaFatz said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but PS3 sales were so abysmal prior to the Slim that they had no place to go but up. All these 25%+ YOY sales only really tell you how far in the gutter the PS3 was last year. Once we get past the Slims birthday, PS3 sales won't have quite the luster.

Aug/Sept will certainly be interesting months. May marks the first month since the price drop in total the 360 has extended it's overall lead in the US versus the PS3 since before the Slim and price drop. There was a 5-10k difference between the two since the slim/price drop before that iirc.

Anyone have LTDs btw? 360 should have crossed the 20 million mark or very close I believe.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I'm actually pretty surprised that the sales ratio for RDR is almost the same as it was for GTAIV two years ago.

Hadn't really noticed that. It seems the late DLC announcement really had no impact this time around.

Edit: Thinking about all this I'm wondering if MS is going to try to slide by with no permanent price cut this fall ehh. They said they will have out a $199 version of the 360 S out, but really they may try to slide by. Hmmm. I was dead set on seeing $149 during the holidays, but they may not have to. Still think they should have some kind of perm cut since it will be 2 years this fall since $199.

Truespeed

Rhindle said:
GT5 will sell kinda sorta OK, due to it being the first iteration of the franchise, but even those sales will be disappointing.

Definitely a contender for the silliest remark of the thread.

Banned
Opiate said:
Sure, if sales start to slow down. That's the assumption your analysis is predicated upon, is it not? Except neither the PS3 or 360 seem to be slowing down very significantly. Software is still doing quite well, and both the PS3 and 360 sold more hardware this May than they did last may, without price drops.

That bodes very well for both of them (particularly the PS3, as its also up worldwide, not just in the US).

Now, if these systems actually do start slowing down (in hardware, and particularly in software), then all of this may change. I just don't see significant evidence of that yet -- again, the 360 is now the top revenue earner in the US this year, indicating that the Wii has slowed down while the 360 (a system one year older than the Wii, mind you) largely has not. If the evidence starts showing up -- sure, that's a bind.

The PS3 is $100 cheaper this May.

This time of year is always slow. Last few years of wii success were an anomaly. Getting back to business as usual until the 3DS starts rising to heaven again and selling 600k in may :lol

Gravijah

Hey Boney, I was at the local county fair earlier this year and they had the best desert in the history of time

frozen cheesecake (from cheesecake factory) ... dipped in chocolate.

FROZEN CHEESECAKE DIPPED IN CHOCOLATE.

Gravijah said:
Hey Boney, I was at the local county fair earlier this year and they had the best desert in the history of time

Wait...
No.

FRIED Cheesecake dipped in chocolate, drizzled with strawberry sauce.

thcsquad

Rainier said:
It doesn't work that way. If that was the case, it has NO hope of ever coming close to what GT4 sold, considering the massive PS2 userbase.

To me, it's clear from looking at GT series sales that the first game in each generation sells like hotcakes, and the second not so much. Gamers don't need more than one GT game per system. GT5 should sell handsomely, more like GT1 or GT3.

No alpha protocol either, or was that june? it bombed and dropped in price so fast i thought it came out months ago.

June 1

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:

This doesn't sound so bad.. one bit and you might choke to death with all the chocolately goodness though.

AceBandage said:
Wait...
No.

FRIED Cheesecake dipped in chocolate, drizzled with strawberry sauce.
This wouldn't surprise me coming from america...

Gravijah

Boney said:
This doesn't sound so bad.. one bit and you might choke to death with all the chocolately goodness though.

This wouldn't surprise me coming from america...

Having you imagine America as a place where we fry and/or dip everything into chocolate makes me smile.

It also sadly isn't far from the truth.

Dalthien

Opiate said:
Sure, if sales start to slow down. That's the assumption your analysis is predicated upon, is it not?
No, I was referring specifically to software. Hardware may hold up okay for another few years. 360 Slim, Kinect, Move, future price drops and/or bundles. It wouldn't surprise me.

Is software keeping pace with last year? Possibly. But those are the same software sales that have led to absolutely massive losses across the board for the majority of 3rd-party publishers. Matching previous year sales doesn't seem like a noble goal in that respect.

Not to mention that part of the reason for traditional console cycles is that eventually you start to end up with the 3rd or 4th iteration of the same franchise, usually on the same engine, in the same generation. Or you get copycats of the same games that everyone has already played. For the traditional 'core' gamer, this often starts to result in 'been there, done that', which is usually remedied with a new hardware cycle, which renews the excitement level of the traditional 'core' gamer.

I suspect we are starting to enter that late-cycle period. But without a new cycle in the offing, I believe that we may very well see more and more of a shift (between now and the eventual start of the new cycle) wherein the gap between top-line software and middle-tier software grows larger and larger. Meaning that the top-line titles will still perform very well, but we will see many more mid-tier titles falling by the wayside with some very disappointing results.

Just a supposition on my part.

Gravijah said:
Having you imagine America as a place where we fry and/or dip everything into chocolate makes me smile.

It also sadly isn't far from the truth.

Yes, that is indeed fried Coke Cola.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I think I clicked the wrong thread, I came here expecting NPD. Instead I got pictures of "food".

Dorrin

DMczaf said:
UFC 2009 First month
4. UFC Undisputed (360) – 679.6K
5. UFC Undisputed (PS3) – 334.4K

UFC 2010 First month
4. UFC 2010 Undisputed (360) – 221.1K
5. UFC 2010 Undisputed (PS3) – 192.3K

goddam

As someone who hates the idea of Online Pass and similar bullshit I'd just like to say I'm really enjoying this.

kswiston

Based on other Nintendo franchises that received more than one entry in a single console generation, I doubt that Mario Galaxy 2 will sell nearly as well as the first game.

The first Galaxy sold a little over 4 million copies in the US, of which 2.5 million was in the first two months.

I'm going to guess that Galaxy 2 ends up in the 2.5-3 million range.

Boney

Banned
kswiston said:
Based on other Nintendo franchises that received more than one entry in a single console generation, I doubt that Mario Galaxy 2 will sell nearly as well as the first game.

The first Galaxy sold a little over 4 million copies in the US, of which 2.5 million was in the first two months.

I'm going to guess that Galaxy 2 ends up in the 2.5-3 million range.
Has a direct sequel on Wii reach the original numbers? NA or WW?

Busaiku

fernoca said:
Nope, May 23rd in the US.
27th was in Japan.
Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Still, again, going beyond its initial week, its still pushing numbers that will in all likelihood, exceed this month's sales.

Penguin

Since people were mentioning Blur, Split/Second and Modnation.

How did Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing do? Granted, that was buried in a ton of excellent software.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Gravijah said:
It's the only direct sequel I can think of off the top of my head... Hm.
Actually, does anyone have the numbers on Raving Rabbids 1 and 2? I thought I remembered 2 doing nearly as well or better then the first.

Gravijah

water_wendi said:
Oh. They were saying it dropped in price so fast so i was just curious. Thanks.

Haven't been following it much, I doubt the actual MSRP has dropped below 59.99, but I'm sure there have been multiple sales on the game since release... though that happens for most new games these days.

Top Bottom