• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2010

Yoboman

Gold Member
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Well PS3 sales are still up YoY.

The slim, price drop, rebranding, and new marketing push created a surge of good will for the console and helped Sony to one of their better fiscal quarters in a while, iirc. Removing any one part of that equation and you'd probably dull the sales from Sept 09 on, they needed every bit of it. The Butler ads represent the "new" PS3 which is fun and hip and actually sells first party games.

That being said, the PS3 obviously isn't going to outsell the 360 in North America, for any significant amount of time, barring Move being a Wii-like success. They've achieved price parity and it gave them temporary sales parity - now that MS is spit-shining the 360, they've lost that until at least the holiday season. Even if Kinect falls flat on its face they're going to have a hard time overcoming the Halo/Gears/CoD trio that will arguably be the biggest console movers on the HD side this Christmas.

If shortages have been a huge factor in PS3 sales the first half of the f'n year as Sony tells it, they've missed a hell of an opportunity to capitalize on their newly found good will, at least in North America. I'm actually pretty surprised that the sales ratio for RDR is almost the same as it was for GTAIV two years ago.
Why? They gimped the PS3 version in just the same way as GTAIV

There's an obvious trend that PS3 versions do a lot better when on an even or better level. I think the "best version" argument actually has some weight

Boney

Banned
Yoboman said:
Why? They gimped the PS3 version in just the same way as GTAIV

There's an obvious trend that PS3 versions do a lot better when on an even or better level. I think the "best version" argument actually has some weight
A lot better?
A lot better only seems to be FFXIII if I recall correctly, and well, different circumstances for that.

Gravijah

Boney said:
A lot better?
A lot better only seems to be FFXIII if I recall correctly, and well, different circumstances for that.

Batman:AA did as well or better on the PS3, did it not? It also had exclusive DLC.

Vizion28

Banned
Just a few random thoughts on the NPD numbers mostly in regards to Nintendo:

* Nintendo is absolute beast when it comes to their handheld dominance. It is unbelievable that the 3DS is going to be even bigger.

* The Wii still going strong and still pacing ahead the PS2 when aligned from their launch dates. Which is unbelievable considering the Wii doesn't get the big games from third parties.

* Doubt we will see a Wii price drop this year or more Wii colors as the Wii is still selling well.

* Mario Galaxy 2 didn't sell as well as the first one in the first month. Of course this can be due to the game released in the summer as opposed to during the holiday. I am also inclined to believe Wii owners don't jump on sequels like they do on other consoles. But I could be wrong. The Rabbids series have sold well consistently but sequels to 'shovelware' like Boom Blox 2 and Carnival Games sequel sold much less.

Tiktaalik

Crazy good numbers for Red Dead!

I was going to say that it's the best opening I've seen for a new IP, but I guess it isn't really a new IP. I think it kinda half is. I mean the first game didn't do that well and Redemption is a really different approach from the first game.

Anyway it did awesome!

Alan Wake.... :(

I mean, I am glad it made #8 in US and #2 in the UK, but it deserves a lot better. I hope it has legs. Long legs.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
Well I figure he meant "a lot better" as in, a better PS3/360 ratio than most games.
To me that's just better :lol

Vizion28 said:
The Rabbids series have sold well consistently but sequels to 'shovelware' like Boom Blox 2 and Carnival Games sequel sold much less.
I'm not a fan of Boom Blox myself, but careful there.

hatchx

Banned
Vizion28 said:
* Mario Galaxy 2 didn't sell as well as the first one in the first month. Of course this can be due to the game released in the summer as opposed to during the holiday. I am also inclined to believe Wii owners don't jump on sequels like they do on other consoles. But I could be wrong. The Rabbids series have sold well consistently but sequels to 'shovelware' like Boom Blox 2 and Carnival Games sequel sold much less.

Hardly shovelware....and do we know how much Boom Blox 2 sold YTD?

Lost Planet 2 sales are not surprising at all.

The game was universally panned by Western media.

Most Western gamers disliked the first game and prefer a more Western tps.

Doesn't stop me enjoying it though. An incredible package and goty. Shame there will probably never be a part 3.

I wonder how Capcom is doing. Dark Void and Bionic Commando total bombs and Lost Planet 2 lukewarm (ok Japanese sales should help a bit). Dead Rising should do ok, although I'll most likely be skipping it.

jgwhiteus

Vizion28 said:

On SMG2, I actually think its first week is pretty much around the same as SMG1's first week, if not better.

SMG1 was released around the middle of November, and I remember some Nintendo press release saying it had sold over 500K in its first week, which at the time was a record for a Mario game (even more than SMB3?)

SMG2's sales in the May NPD are also for one week (last week of May)

I guess you could say it's more impressive to sell the same in May vs. November, the holiday season; at the same time, the Wii's userbase is larger now. In any case, SMG2 won't benefit from the holiday push that SMG had, though it should still sell very well.

Fake EDIT: Here:
http://kotaku.com/325276/mario-galaxy-sells-500k-in-a-week

Code:
             2004   2010     diff
PS2/PS3:     427k   155k    -272k
Xbox/360:    262k   195k     -67k    
GCN/Wii:     109k   335k    +226k
GBA/DS:      521k   384k    -137k

Arguably 2004 was the comparable year last gen, though no perfect comparison is possible (PS2 launched after DC last gen, PS3 launched after 360 this gen but obviously 360 was not polite enough to die; we are midway through the 4th year of PS3 this gen and were midway through the 4th year of PS2 last gen). It is worth noting that the market leader at this point last gen (PS2) had a better May than the market leader this May (Wii).

pixelbox

It's not so much sony's deplorable advertisements, it's his ignorance to african american culture. Yeah some are loud and arrogant but that's apart of mine/their culture. The kid acts like that normally and it pisses me off when someone outside the race has so much shit to say about "some annoying 'lil black kid". Hey bud, say that shit to his father. Sigh, the internetz. btw, neogaf works on the ps3 now!

jrricky

Banned
Boney said:
This will me you feel better
barfs

jimmydean.jpg
:lol :lol :lol :lol

pixelbox said:
It's not so much sony's deplorable advertisements, it's his ignorance to african american culture. Yeah some are loud and arrogant but that's apart of mine/their culture. The kid acts like that normally and it pisses me off when someone outside the race has so much shit to say about "some annoying 'lil black kid". Hey bud, say that shit to his father. Sigh, the internetz. btw, neogaf works on the ps3 now!
only 3 minutes.

mckmas8808

Banned
Snuggler said:
Just out of curiosity, why would it be a good idea for Sony to launch a new hand held when the current one is failing? Could they really expect it to do any better than the current PSP?

I love the thought and execution of the PSP, but I hope Sony doesn't make a PSP2. I want them to spend that time and money on a PS4 for 2014.

Gravijah

mckmas8808 said:
I love the thought and execution of the PSP, but I hope Sony doesn't make a PSP2. I want them to spend that time and money on a PS4 for 2014.

But we need some form of competition for the 3DS.

SapientWolf said:
Use the money on marketing instead of R&D for another portable and hope for 3DS ports.

So your plan is to take PSP out for a Weekend at Bernie's.

ShockingAlberto said:
I've said it before, but I reiterate it now:

Unless Sony has given devkits to developers at the beginning of the year or before, they have lost the handheld market.

I don't want them to give up, as a gamer. That competition usually tends to bring out the best in everyone involved. But damn, if I were Kaz Hirai and someone sent me the NPD sales, I would really think hard about exiting the market.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Reallink said:
Even though it's probably just the summer slumps, I wish the hardware manufacturers would take these apparently slowing numbers as a sign to fast track the next gen for 2011. It's getting 'bout time at this point.

:lol oh man. That's a good one!

Dalthien said:
Anyone else starting to think that the industry has backed itself into a really nasty corner?

"Starting"?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Beer Monkey said:
Code:
             2004   2010     diff
PS2/PS3:     427k   155k    -272k
Xbox/360:    262k   195k     -67k    
GCN/Wii:     109k   335k    +226k
GBA/DS:      521k   384k    -137k

Arguably 2004 was the comparable year last gen, though no perfect comparison is possible (PS2 launched after DC last gen, PS3 launched after 360 this gen but obviously 360 was not polite enough to die; we are midway through the 4th year of PS3 this gen and were midway through the 4th year of PS2 last gen). It is worth noting that the market leader at this point last gen (PS2) had a better May than the market leader this May (Wii).
Out of curiosity, where did you get 04 numbers from? Didn't know NPD reported back then.

DiscoJer

sillymonkey321 said:
UFC 2010 sold pretty well for being completely unnecessary.

Yeah, I mean, what's the point of having a yearly fighting game? Most other sports games have roster updates. But that's not really applicable. Maybe a few are new, a few are retired or whatever, but unless you are a fan of one of those, does it matter?

Bentendo

charlequin said:
:lol oh man. That's a good one!

Have any of them actually even announced a new system? Why people would assume the next generation will begin next year is beyond me. The Kinect and Move haven't even been released.

hatchx

Banned
Everyone is hating on the PSP but the thing is fairly successful in Japan. Did nobody ever stop to consider that?

Gravijah

Bentendo said:
Have any of them actually even announced a new system? Why people would assume the next generation will begin next year is beyond me. The Kinect and Move haven't even been released.

I wouldn't be surprised if the failure of the Kinect/Move bump up the next gen... but there's no way they were planning on those things to be the "second half" of this generation, right?

hatchx said:
Everyone is hating on the PSP but the thing is fairly successful in Japan. Did nobody ever stop to consider that?

Well, this is an NPD thread.

pixelbox said:
If Marcus is our culture, then our culture is unhealthy. /Boondocks

Not one western publisher gives a shit. Sony themselves are pissing away resources on the thing in the west that are better spent on the PS3.

hatchx said:

It's 'fairly successful' in the smallest region in the world and the success is based on a single franchise.

And it hasn't been performing well there recently anyway.

Gravijah

hatchx said:
I know, I just saw some people saying Sony should drop out of the handheld game a few posts up.

Also, have you seen the sales of the PSP in Japan recently? Not really lighting the charts up...

markatisu

hatchx said:

Its not doing so amazing in Japan that it can compensate for failing in the EU and US

You do not make a console/system for only one region, its why MS tries so damn hard to get a foothold instead of a toe in the JP market and its the US/EU that helps the PS3 after it got slaughtered in JP by the Wii

hatchx said:
I know, I just saw some people saying Sony should drop out of the handheld game a few posts up.

Tell me what exactly you think would be a good idea for Sony's handhelds going forward. The PSP is dead/dying everywhere, and it's positioned itself terribly for a successor.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Arpharmd B said:
I wonder how Capcom is doing. Dark Void and Bionic Commando total bombs and Lost Planet 2 lukewarm (ok Japanese sales should help a bit). Dead Rising should do ok, although I'll most likely be skipping it.
Lost Planet 1 ended up selling 2.7 million copies.

The less than 150,000 sales in Japan are going to do absolutely nothing to offset the complete and utter failure this sequel is.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Looking at these sales again, the market seems to have completely polarized to titles that are the absolute best of the best.

I think we're going to see a lot of games bombing this Fall that in other years would have at least put up somewhat decent numbers.

user_nat said:
Out of curiosity, where did you get 04 numbers from? Didn't know NPD reported back then.

Got them from multiple websites. NPD numbers were routinely leaked back then and published all over the place (and at the time they didn't fight the leaks).

Dalthien

Nirolak said:
Looking at these sales again, the market seems to have completely polarized to titles that are the absolute best of the best.

I think we're going to see a lot of games bombing this Fall that in other years would have at least put up somewhat decent numbers.
Hey, that's exactly what I was trying to say a few posts back. Except I believe it won't just be this fall, but until the next gen finally arrives.

But you put it much more succinctly. :lol

Busaiku

hatchx said:
It's doing alright in Japan, but nothing amazing.
Certainly not enough to make up for its abysmal performance everywhere else.

onipex

Wait...... the Wii is up month to month and the PS3 is down. The Wii is also up YoY along with the 360 and PS3. I scanned the thread so maybe I missed if NPD released a correction or not.

Data care of NPD Group
Reporting Period: 4/04/2010 through 5/01/2010

PlayStation 3 180.8K
PSP 65.5K
Xbox 360 185.4K
Wii 277.2K
Nintendo DS 440.8K

Data care of NPD Group
Reporting Period: 5/2/10 - 5/29/10

PlayStation 3 154.5K
PSP 59.4K
Xbox 360 194.6K
Wii 334.8K
Nintendo DS 383.7K

NPD Sales Results for May 2009
Data care of NPD Group

PlayStation 2 117K
PlayStation 3 131K
PSP 100.4K
Xbox 360 175K
Wii 289.5K
Nintendo DS 633.5K

NSMB Wii has been in the top 10 all year. I wonder how long it will stay in the top 10/20.

Top Bottom