• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

Yeah. Before celebrating ranking of Splatoon I really want to know the absolute numbers. Seems to be rather dead month aside from Witcher.

NotLiquid

According to the head of Nintendo Canada, Splatoon's pre-order numbers almost matched Mario Kart 8 and that first weekend sales were roughly half of MK8. According to them, they consider this an "extraordinary" result.
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/nintendo-says-splatoons-sales-are-extraordinary#.VXoRH_mqp9Z

Our presale numbers were amazing, close to Mario Kart 8 numbers a year ago, which is amazing because Mario Kart is an established franchise. Splatoon’s challenge is that a few months ago, nobody had ever heard of it.

I love that as a dad it’s something I can play with my seven-year-old. It’s a complete revolution on what a shooter can be.

We’re looking at first weekend sales of about half of where Mario Kart 8 was. Given that Mario Kart 8 was one of the best-selling games last year, that’s extraordinary for a brand new IP like this. — Pierre-Paul Trepanier

Not sure this is new-thread worthy but this should give us some insight over how well the game did.

Josh5890

Yep. Mario Kart 8 was also huge. And Wolfenstein was very popular. The software decrease isn't all that surprising, Geralt ain't a miracle worker.

Pretty much. May didn't have many big game releases this year. There may have even been a B2G1 sale last May. I know it's been a while since any retailer has thrown u sone of those beauties.

Somewhat surprised at all the hype for Splatoon finishing 5th in a slow month. Its not really all that impressive.

That being said game will do solid enough for what it is

Do you know on which day of May Splatoon was released? It's very impressive:

"But May’s biggest surprise is probably Nintendo’s Wii U exclusive Splatoon. The colorful shooter did not debut until May 28, which means it only had three days of sales on this chart. Despite that, it was able to come in at No. 5 overall. This is impressive for a new intellectual property that is not widely available on all systems."

http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/11/m...le-sales-as-the-witcher-iii-has-strong-debut/

lol it's absolutely impressive. It's a new, single SKU IP on a "dead" platform that was on the market for two days. Spin it all you want, it's an impressive debut.

Im not spinning anything. Its a solid performance. Its sales in Japan are impressive.

Its more than likely under 200k. Thats now considered impressive in NA NPD?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Y'all need to stop with the days of tracking for Splatoon, click the link! :p
But May’s biggest surprise is probably Nintendo’s Wii U exclusive Splatoon. The colorful shooter did not debut until May 28, which means it only had three days of sales on this chart.

Edit: Though it released on May 29th - mixed up with Japan's release me thinks.

NateDrake

Do you know on which day of May Splatoon was released? It's very impressive:

"But May’s biggest surprise is probably Nintendo’s Wii U exclusive Splatoon. The colorful shooter did not debut until May 28, which means it only had three days of sales on this chart. Despite that, it was able to come in at No. 5 overall. This is impressive for a new intellectual property that is not widely available on all systems."

http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/11/m...le-sales-as-the-witcher-iii-has-strong-debut/

What that quote is also wrong. It was May 29 and 2 days of tracking.

Only this isn't year 2.5. It's almost year 1.5

You're right, but that was an across-the-board miscalculation--year 1.5 is also supposed to see YOY growth. See last gen:

May 2007
Wii - 338,000
PS3 - 82,000
360 - 155,000

May 2008
Wii - 675,000
PS3 - 208,000
360 - 186,000

Either we're seeing less demand as the generation goes on, or we're seeing a major negative valuation trend that's hurting overall revenues. Neither of those is a good sign.

Boke1879

Hate to rain on the parade, but software down 25%?? What happened? ):

Look at what was released last May.

Like someone said earlier. People really need perspective on this stuff.

I think people truly believe when software is down they think no one is buying games. That's not true. Sometimes you're just not going to match what was sold a year ago. Especially when it was a huge month with Watch Dogs and MK8.

No. Its really not. Its an alright performance. Not bad by any means, certainly not impressive

It absolutely is impressive.

Its more than likely under 200k. Thats now considered impressive in NA NPD?

Not saying that number is or isn't the right range... but yes, for that platform, for a new IP, that amount can be considered impressive. And it's US NPD, not NA.

I think most people thought I was kidding.

So. Pcars is less than 90k.... I dont think so.

lol

Anyone saying Splatoon flopped or showed impressive results are bias one way or the other.

lol again.

Einbroch

Banned
Anyone saying Splatoon flopped or showed impressive results are bias one way or the other.

It's a slow month, but that doesn't mean it flopped. It's number five, but that doesn't mean it sold a lot.

We need to wait and see numbers.

Kriken

and wasn't MK8 released that month as well?

Yes to both, and considering Watch_Dogs shipped 8 million and MK8 shipped 1.2, it doesn't surprise me software sales would be down

Edit: Got my month wrong, thought the 8 million number was released in June, not July

Top Bottom