• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For May 2017

Purest 78

mario imo appeals to nintendo fans, it just doesn't grab the entry level kids like it used too.

That's really the point Cod and GTA are the cool game for kids and teenagers these days. When I was young nothing touched Mario. Oddly enough Nintendo is family friendly but all Nintendo fans I know are older.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
We still doing this Horizon vs BotW shit? Does it matter which will sell better? By any metric both games are huge hits.

tenor.gif

That's really the point Cod and GTA are the cool game for kids and teenagers these days. When I was young nothing touched Mario. Oddly enough Nintendo is family friendly,but all Nintendo fans I know are older.
Not getting into the MARIO brand and how big it is debate, but I do agree many Nintendo fans are older. Lot of MacBook Pokémon decals at my office and building with many blue collar upper scale workers

Anecdotal of course

Toni

I know the switch is supply constrained but the PS4 selling more than it just a few more than after release seems concerning

Its not concerning at all. Switch is competing with a market leader doing record numbers.

That sentence would accomodate Xbox One better because it would truly be concerning if Xbox One outsells it.

Obviously you do since it is such a problem for you. Just saying it was just as bad if not worse with the Vita. The difference here is the market want a Switch and only forum dwellers and niche Japanese fans wanted a Vita. It is tiring all the same regardless we can agree on that
Nope.

Its not concerning at all. Switch is competing with a market leader doing record numbers.

That sentence would accomodate Xbox One better because it would truly be concerning if Xbox One outsells it.
Why is that?

I expect great things outta the Switch but I really think that unless something insane happens in the next 2 years the PS4 will be the comfortable market leader. That said similar to gen 7, third place could still sell a shit ton of units in NA.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I have a bunch of predictions for Q4 if you're interested. It was written before E3, so I have some adjustments to make on the Scorpio bit at the very least.
Did you have any thoughts about what was shown at E3?

The trends that stuck out to me were:

1.) The number of AAA games being announced was pretty low, even for the modern era. It feels like most publishers announced games years in advance to make previous E3s feel more full, but the reality of that situation is catching up to them.

2.) Games as a Service seemed to make up the vast majority of announcements, with most announcements not fitting that trend either being games that started development in 2014 or earlier (Wolfenstein, The Evil Within, Assassin's Creed), lower budget niche titles (The Way Out, Metro), or games from Sony/Microsoft, who have notably different incentives in what type of software to make. Ubisoft has implied they're trying to roll some kind of service model into Assassin's Creed as well, despite the title looking like it was not originally built with that in mind. You can also likely apply this to games that were unveiled a bit earlier, like Shadow of War, which started development in 2014, and seems to have some kind of loot box mechanism judging by its special editions despite being a singleplayer title.

3.) There was a large focus on games that are releasing in the near future, and also on updates to existing games. Bethesda showed a bunch of DLC and game updates. EA had a large focus on Battlefield DLC and updates. Ubisoft focused on a long slate of titles, but they're actively trying to fend off a hostile takeover by impressing investors. Nintendo showed DLC for Zelda and updates for ARMS. Sony even seems to be trying to get out content faster with an increase in the amount of substantial DLC and side games they're making, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that continue given what they said in some interviews. It got me wondering if we've entered a state where it makes the most sense to focus on selling (or selling more for) your current slate of games instead of advertising the next ones even at a venue like this, except the ones coming out in the very near future. The focus on existing titles also increased dramatically once we went to publisher specific streams instead of press conferences.

4.) VR didn't have a lot of presence, outside of Sony, who had kind of a mash up trailer of a bunch of smaller titles. It was similar to their montages of yore, but gave you a somewhat extended look compared to what those did.

Floody

Surprised PS4 was able to get back on top so fast, Nintendo need to get their shit together before the Fall. Because the PS4 (and probably XB1) will start really moving come September.

Toni

I expect great things outta the Switch but I really think that unless something insane happens in the next 2 years the PS4 will be the comfortable market leader. That said similar to gen 7, third place could still sell a shit ton of units in NA.

Nothing is coming near the PS4 this gen.

PS4 is ahead of Switch by almost 60 million units and is ahead of Xbox One by 30 million.

Switch could be the next Wii and still won't be catching up to PS4. Once Sony hits mass consumer price of $199 and lower, that thing will have insane legs. PS4 will certainly co-exist with PS5 as well, very similar to how PS3 was with PS4.

Surprised PS4 was able to get back on top so fast, Nintendo need to get their shit together before the Fall. Because the PS4 (and probably XB1) will start really moving come September.

I don't know what Phil Spencer plans for Xbox One, but I know PS4 for sure will have the craziest 3rd quarter of ever. Their biggest 3rd quarter (holiday period) was last year. But this year I firmly believe is the year the PS4 peaks. I dont know what stops the PS4 these holidays.

Elandyll

Banned
We still doing this Horizon vs BotW shit? Does it matter which will sell better? By any metric both games are huge hits.
Yep. Both games are hits, HZD on a big instal base but ultra competitive environment as a new IP, and BOTW on a small install base but relatively sparse competition and very well known franchise with established fanbase.

#Whynotboth?

Vena

I guess we have a hint in this thread, since John Harker suggested that Farpoint (#16) is under the range of 50K. SFII and Disgaea 5 are not in the top 20, so... someting does not compute very well with NISA preorders, unless I'm missing something.

Revenue (80$ because of lightgun package and unknown non-bundled goods quantities) vs. normal 60$ release + ???tracking of NISA's own SE and regular sales (or at least I am unaware if these are tracked by NPD).

Farpoint is a bad point of reference since its effectively 50% more expensive on a revenue chart.

Total western pre-orders were reported at over 100k, but ~80k of that was seemingly from NA. Since most of those pre-orders were likely sales and the game has been regularly sold-out, it tells us that either NISA's own store sales are not tracked or that the revenue chart is obscuring the title vs. raw # of units.

PS4 will certainly co-exist with PS5 as well, very similar to how PS3 was with PS4.

I'm assuming you meant similar to PS2 co-existing with PS3, because PS3's sales fell off a cliff once PS4 launched. I expect Sony to handle PS4's twilight years similarly to how they handled PS2.

PS4 is ahead of Switch by almost 60 million units and is ahead of Xbox One by 30 million.

Switch could be the next Wii and still won't be catching up to PS4. Once Sony hits mass consumer price of $199 and lower, that thing will have insane legs. PS4 will certainly co-exist with PS5 as well, very similar to how PS3 was with PS4.

I'm only talking NA since all 3 systems play on a much more even playing field in this market (and its NPD). Not that I disagree with you at all. PS4 will run away with the market. PS4 for instance is not destroying the X1 in NA like the rest of the world though. NA has always been much more receptive to all of the big 3 vs the rest of the world.

Toni

I'm assuming you meant similar to PS2 co-existing with PS3, because PS3's sales fell off a cliff once PS4 launched. I expect Sony to handle PS4's twilight years similarly to how they handled PS2.

Only because PS3's price was absurd for what it was ($199) after 7 years. The bundles were going as high as $249.99. It was nonsensical for the 10 year plan.

PS4 has dominated the market harder than any PlayStation console has, Im pretty sure the legs its going to get mainly due to its impact, will be crazy.

I'm only talking NA since all 3 systems play on a much more even playing field in this market (and its NPD). Not that I disagree with you at all. PS4 will run away with the market. PS4 for instance is not destroying the X1 in NA like the rest of the world though. NA has always been much more receptive to all of the big 3 vs the rest of the world.

On NA?

Oh definetly then. Its surreal the PS4 doesnt have a bigger Ltd lead considering its position. Xbox is keeping up with it, and Im pretty sure the Switch could really shake the NA market enough to pass Xbox and catch up to PS4 if its well stocked and Nintendo gets fierce with price points and bundles for the holidays. They already have a good line up for this year.

Vena

Only because PS3's price was absurd for what it was ($199) after 7 years. The bundles were going as high as $249.99. It was nonsensical for the 10 year plan.

PS2 to PS3 to PS4 were a hard transitional breaks. The PS4's bottom-out price is likely not going to get too much lower due to production realities and component obsolescence (kind of a different angle from the NAND shortage for Nintendo, eventually the old parts in the PS4 will be so old that no one will want to produce them).

The PS4 isn't going to get much lower than the PS3, tech moves too fast and no one is going to want to sit on part-lines for an otherwise dead APU unit.

PS2 to PS3 to PS4 were a hard transitional breaks. The PS4's bottom-out price is likely not going to get too much lower due to production realities and component obsolescence (kind of a different angle from the NAND shortage for Nintendo, eventually the old parts in the PS4 will be so old that no one will want to produce them).

This is true. I believe PS2 got to $99 at one point. That's never happening with PS4.

Passose

Banned

I don't know what Phil Spencer plans for Xbox One, but I know PS4 for sure will have the craziest 3rd quarter of ever. Their biggest 3rd quarter (holiday period) was last year. But this year I firmly believe is the year the PS4 peaks. I dont know what stops the PS4 these holidays.
Sorry to be rude but I honestly can't take you seriously after seeing your fanboyism in the MC thread

Revenue (80$ because of lightgun package and unknown non-bundled goods quantities) vs. normal 60$ release + ???tracking of NISA's own SE and regular sales (or at least I am unaware if these are tracked by NPD).

Farpoint is a bad point of reference since its effectively 50% more expensive on a revenue chart.

Total western pre-orders were reported at over 100k, but ~80k of that was seemingly from NA. Since most of those pre-orders were likely sales and the game has been regularly sold-out, it tells us that either NISA's own store sales are not tracked or that the revenue chart is obscuring the title vs. raw # of units.

It would be important indeed to know if yes or no the NISA Store is tracked because it certainly represent a big chunk of sales and revenue with the all the pricey collectors being sold out on that store.

Incidentally, that would also mean that the number previously revealed for Disgaea 5 on PS4 was not the full story.

Is it possible for Mat to tell us about the tracking of the NISA Store ?

The trends that stuck out to me were...

You nailed it. The show is definitely changing, and companies are looking to extend selling tails of fewer games overall. Agree with all you pointed out.

I think these things are going to continue for a few years, fewer AAA games, significantly extended marketing/promotion/content adds over time (heck look at the Diablo 3 announce today) all looking to extend/deepen engagement. Time is the new currency and all that.

Bigger picture, I think we could potentially hit an inflection point regarding resolutions, cost of content production and sales potential.

I think we're getting to the point where the number of AAA titles is being reduced to a point that puts longer-term mass market appeal of consoles at a bit of a risk for the next gen (yeah I know people here will disagree, but I'm thinking a few years down the line here). 4k resolution/support requires more investment. And since full game sales aren't really growing over time, $ needed to support that investment has to come from service components.

Question is how much DLC/MTX can the market provide? Is there some point where that ARPU will peak? Can these service games recruit potential customers that aren't already in the console market?

Games going service model, and the strong positive consumer response to this, is what is providing the opportunity for growth on the core consoles. Maybe everything will be fine with fewer games generating more $ per game due to the DLC/MTX. I just think that, in broad terms, more content variation in AAA allows the consoles to appeal to more corners of the mass market, those people that have no idea that games like Inside or PUBG even exist.

Still wrapping my head around E3 this year. I was surprised more by what wasn't shown/talked about than what was. It's certainly evolving, that's for sure.

Interesting. I'll look into it.

Yep. Both games are hits, HZD on a big instal base but ultra competitive environment as a new IP, and BOTW on a small install base but relatively sparse competition and very well known franchise with established fanbase.

#Whynotboth?

It's just weird because it strikes me far more as pointless bickering. These games gonna sell so much any difference in sales is going to be meaningless when all is said and done. Is there a prize if one sells 11m and the other sells 11.5m?

Vena

What is the lowest price point do you all think the PS4 will hit?

I can't see it dropping below 199$ from a pure hardware cost perspective, the BoM would be lower but with shipping and packaging costs added it rounds out to the nice 199$. But bundles will throw in more and more games for a "price drop" with software that is otherwise largely dead on sales potential anyway.

So you'll have the holiday *big game* + 2-3 other pieces of software that no one buys anymore at retail or digital.

Vena

It would be important indeed to know if yes or no the NISA Store is tracked because it certainly represent a big chunk of sales and revenue with the all the pricey collectors being sold out on that store.

Incidentally, that would also mean that the number previously revealed for Disgaea 5 on PS4 was not the full story.

Since the old D5 PS4 numbers were leaks or came from ani directly, those were likely the actual numbers. I think he already mentioned that the Switch release has already caught up to the PS4 but I may be misremembering.

What is the lowest price point do you all think the PS4 will hit?

MSRP or retailer promotions?
$99 for the latter is totally possible imho
$149/179 as MSRP will happen at some point

we're already at $249

$99 would be to low unless they get it on 7nm .
$150 i can see happening during certain times of the year and sales.

when the Ps4 is still selling any substantial numbers when 7nm will be ready, they will do a die shrink.
just like they did with the Ps3 Superslim

MSRP or retailer promotions?
$99 for the latter is totally possible imho
$149/179 as MSRP will happen at some point

we're already at $249

$99 would be to low unless they get it on 7nm .
$150 i can see happening during certain times of the year and sales.

EDIT yeah it will depend on sales if PS4 still selling okay they will go for 7nm .

timberger

The Zelda>>>Horizon shit has just gotten beyond pathetic at this stage. It's like you're not even allowed to mention Horizon without being subjected to it.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The best thing about it: so many people were so sure consoles were dying. Then when they were selling like hotcakes at the beginning of this gen, those people were saying it was simply demand for a new console. Now the PS4/XBO collectively are outselling their predecessors and the Switch is selling well, I've seen so few just admit they were wrong, wrong, wrong.

Dont forget some, probably many, looked at what was happening with Wii U sales as proof that consoles were dying. Even during and after 2014 it was still popping up here n there in NPD threads.

It was released in March. It should be capable of selling that in April if the stock is there. Comparing the second month of a consoles release to a normal April for consoles is disingenuous and silly.

They answered their own question really. lol.

#Whynotboth?

I agree. That attach rate for BotW may never be repeated again. And I always love seeing new IP's do well. Gives me hope we wont be stuck with only insert_game_here sequels up to 4, 5, etc.

It's just weird because it strikes me far more as pointless bickering. These games gonna sell so much any difference in sales is going to be meaningless when all is said and done. Is there a prize if one sells 11m and the other sells 11.5m?

Well, one person did respond saying Zelda won so...... I forgot to place my bets... :-(

$129.99 to clear out remaining stock in 2022.

That's the lowest price the PS4 will hit. Not sure yet if the innards will be a stock PS4 or a significantly die shrunk Pro.

I don't even get why some Nintendo fans are so insecure they have to keep bringing up Horizon, a new IP, to bash in to prop up Zelda, a game with like 30 years of history and one of the most beloved series in all of gaming. Looks pathetic.

Passose

Banned
Brace yourself, Crash Trilogy vs Mario Odyssey is next
I don't even get why some Nintendo fans are so insecure they have to keep bringing up Horizon, a new IP, to bash in to prop up Zelda, a game with like 30 years of history and one of the most beloved series in all of gaming. Looks pathetic.
this is also no better actually
The Zelda>>>Horizon shit has just gotten beyond pathetic at this stage. It's like you're not even allowed to mention Horizon without being subjected to it.

I don't even get why some Nintendo fans are so insecure they have to keep bringing up Horizon, a new IP, to bash in to prop up Zelda a game with like 30 years of history. Looks pathetic.

It's definitely pathetic.

It's also kind of pathetic that, like, two people did that in this thread and like 15 of you won't stop talking about it.

That's really the point Cod and GTA are the cool game for kids and teenagers these days. When I was young nothing touched Mario. Oddly enough Nintendo is family friendly but all Nintendo fans I know are older.
same it's a weird dynamic too and i just don't get it. kids are either playing minecraft/roblox or cod/gta

I don't even get why some Nintendo fans are so insecure they have to keep bringing up Horizon, a new IP, to bash in to prop up Zelda a game with like 30 years of history. Looks pathetic.
They were competing for mindshare, taking up a similar place in the market.

Smart of Sony to try to cut off Nintendo's most prominent "core" gamer series, given the last time they launched with one, the system went on to sell 100 million units, and directly eat into Sony's marketshare.

Smart business and was always going to incite fervor among the religious of both sides.

But that doesn't matter, because we got two incredible open world titles for it.

Fdkn

Smart of Sony to try to cut off Nintendo's most prominent "core" gamer series, given the last time they launched with one, the system went on to sell 100 million units, and directly eat into Sony's marketshare.

HZD was given a release date many months before Switch and Zelda, when the rumours everywhere stated that the later would drop in fall 2016

But nice try, I guess.

timberger

this is also no better actually

No better than what, exactly?

It's definitely pathetic.

It's also kind of pathetic that, like, two people did that in this thread and like 15 of you won't stop talking about it.

You might have a point if it wasn't something that happens all the time on GAF now, and was actually just a couple of random posts in this thread only. Good for you playing the "both sides" card to defend the poor system warriors though.

Top Bottom