• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
AniHawk said:
...I think it took SMS about 4 months to hit 1.1m, come to think of it. I know it couldn't break 1m before 2002 was up.

August/Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec sales of SMS < SMG Nov sales. Still went on to sell 3 million copies.

Matt

Lefty42o said:
i based that off the demo released for the game. a demo i played and considering the hype for the demo, the crashing of the psn store i suspect alot of ps3 owners tried the game out.

and they spoke with their wallets

117,000 in november a holiday month.
You have no data to support your statement, you're just guessing. Do you know how many people downloaded the demo? Do you know how many of those people really played it? Do we have ANY hard data as to the effect of demos on the sales of console games? No.

And since when is a demo enough for a person to form such a profound impression of a game?

Sean said:
Just for comparison, past Call of Duty debuts on the 360:

CoD2 - 250,000
CoD3 - 333,000
CoD4 - 1,500,000

That's a pretty huge leap right there.

With the 360 (unlike other systems) when a great game of quality comes out, 360 fans jump on it like a starving fan man on a free buffet.

C4Lukins

GhaleonEB said:
Then next month, you should enter the software predictions. You'd do fabulous! :p

The GAF average for those who sacked up and made one was 757k, from about 50 participants - half what it ended up selling.

I would like to add that I was the closest to predicting it, and I was over 400K off. This was not our finest moment. I was more than 3 Uncharteds short.

GhaleonEB

Matt said:
I don't know what's causing the aggression. I never said I would have predicted it selling that well, my jaw just didn't drop when I saw the number.

Damn, people take this prediction business way too seriously :D

Edit:

OK, now you are really taking this too seriously. I never said I called it, and I never particularly thought about what number the game would sell. I just wasn't shocked when I saw was it pushed. Maybe I should have been. It's not a big deal either way.
Your sarcasm meter really needs calibration. That second one was friendly banter with Tieno - we do that sometimes - and the first was a serious suggestion, as well as pointing out the size of the disparity between expectations and actual, so my comment about how extraordinary CoD4's sales really were had context. Relax. :p <---- important

AniHawk

Sean said:

CoD2 - 250,000
CoD3 - 333,000
CoD4 - 1,500,000

COD2 was a launch title during a month where the system was supply constrained
COD3 was awful
COD4 is the second coming or something

GhaleonEB

There's an article up on Gamasutra that lists some sales sourced from NPD I hadn't seen before, such as Shadowrun.

IGNpredictions.png

Lefty42o

Banned
Yoboman said:
PS3 will improve next year. It's just a matter or how much (or how little), and what 360 and Wii will put in the way to stop it

i doubt it. it won't fold like say the dreamcast but it will be the gamcube/xbox of this gen. have big months here and there but expect it to bleed market share thru this gen, atleast here in the usa.

and with every price drop the xbox and soon the wii will follow. very similar to what hurt the original xbox last gen. every time they dropped the price the ps2 followed suit. when sony said 499/599 that was that.

Matt

GhaleonEB said:
Your sarcasm meter really needs calibration. That second one was friendly banter with Tieno - we do that sometimes - and the first was a serious suggestion, as well as pointing out the size of the disparity between expectations and actual, so my comment about how extraordinary CoD4's sales really were had context. Relax. :p <---- important
I guess we just keep misunderstanding each other. No harm done :)

But you're right, I should try to participate in the prediction threads. I always mean to, and then....don't. Maybe next time.

Robert R1

Banned
Matt said:
You have no data to support your statement, you're just guessing. Do you know how many people downloaded the demo? Do you know how many of those people really played it? Do we have ANY hard data as to the effect of demos on the sales of console games? No.

And since when is a demo enough for a person to form such a profound impression of a game?

Oh I don't know. Since the demo that talked about endlessly by PS3 diehards over and over, in thread after thread across various gaming forums all over the net! Hell, if you followed the same people yelling and screaming about this game all over, you'd think it'd be selling hand over fist!

But hey, this is the case with PS3 exclusives isn't it? Hype the shit out of the game, watch it bomb, make excuses and move onto the next savior. Atleast it's a consistant pattern. The one day one of these games do sell and push some hardware, they'll forget all about the bombs and come back with "told you this would be the one!!!!"

Do I really need to find the "uncharted" thread prove my point?

GhaleonEB

Matt said:
I guess we just keep misunderstanding each other. No harm done :)

But you're right, I should try to participate in the prediction threads. I always mean to, and then....don't. Maybe next time.
I'd love to see more participation in the software predictions. It's only the second month GAF has done an organized prediction, and participation is low. Probably because it's so much harder than software. I was a good 50% off - or more! - on nearly every one of my preditions. :lol

Sean said:
It says at the bottom (asterisk) that the predictions and actual numbers are for the first two months of sales. So it's not LTD, just the first 2 months of each game.
I know that. You read a stealth edit, made so fast your quote didn't even snag it. :p

Yoboman

Gold Member
Lefty42o said:
i doubt it. it won't fold like say the dreamcast but it will be the gamcube/xbox of this gen. have big months here and there but expect it to bleed market share thru this gen, atleast here in the usa.

and with every price drop the xbox and soon the wii will follow. very similar to what hurt the original xbox last gen. every time they dropped the price the ps2 followed suit. when sony said 499/599 that was that.
I said improve, not dominate

-Rogue5-

JeStaH said:
Fixed.

I'm not saying PS3 = Dreamcast. Just pointing out karmic justic. PS2 owners here on GAF back then were total Assholes!

But really, the Dreamcast was friggen awesome and ahead of its time. I would hate it if the PS3 was considered an amazing system only AFTER it's been scrapped/beaten to death, but I can almost see that happening (especially if Blu-ray does become the de facto HD format and XMB/PSN become 1:1 with XBL [which they say they're trying to do].)

E-phonk

Banned
Sweedishrodeo said:
E-phonk said:

i am looking at something true and equally awesome.

Thanks.. Besides the obvious Mario Galaxy / Pink Floyd Money crossover, it's a +40 layered photoshop with tons of money/bling bling added and references to zelda, mario&sonic, PS3, xbox360, halo3, Mass Effect, Fire Emblem, Guitar Hero, Assasins Creed, RROD, Keejn and liinch, ratchet, ...

It's a bit busy, but I like how it turned out.

Lefty42o

Banned
Matt said:

117,000 is enough data we need.

next the demo crashed the psn store the day it hit. People went off all over the internet about the pal and other regions being locked out.

yes its not exact but enough evidence to see that alot of people hit the store from all regions to dl the demo. and sales were horrible. make of it what you will. the fact is imho the demo was meh. and demo or not the game BOMBED. something went wrong somewhere.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
E-phonk said:
Thanks.. Besides the obvious Mario Galaxy / Pink Floyd Money crossover, it's a +40 layered photoshop with tons of money/bling bling added and references to zelda, mario&sonic, PS3, xbox360, halo3, Mass Effect, Fire Emblem, Guitar Hero, Assasins Creed, RROD, Keejn and liinch, ratchet, ...

Major Burrows gets all the ladies...you can just tell.

Lefty42o

Banned
Yoboman said:
I said improve, not dominate

and i said it will be the xbox/gamecube of this gen. which is what its trending at right now. and my point was it will likely be this way clawing trying to get a hold till the next gen hits. very similar to the gamecube and xbox.

now explain what you mean by improve?

Matt

Robert R1 said:
Oh I don't know. Since the demo that talked about endlessly by PS3 diehards over and over, in thread after thread across various gaming forums all over the net! Hell, if you followed the same people yelling and screaming about this game all over, you'd think it'd be selling hand over fist!

But hey, this is the case with PS3 exclusives isn't it? Hype the shit out of the game, watch it bomb, make excuses and move onto the next savior. Atleast it's a consistant pattern. The one day one of these games do sell and push some hardware, they'll forget all about the bombs and come back with "told you this would be the one!!!!"

Do I really need to find the "uncharted" thread prove my point?
Again, you're jumping to some pretty massive conclusions (and also seem to have a personal axe to grind.) 117,000 people bought the game, that easily covers everyone in the GAF Uncharted thread several times over. Hell, that's many times the amount of people talking about the game across the whole of the internet.

The fact that good amount of people really like the game doesn't make them delusional, and the fact that is sold poorly doesn't mean the game is bad.

Gallagher

Banned
Sean said:

CoD2 - 250,000
CoD3 - 333,000
CoD4 - 1,500,000

I guess, no World War 2!

So CoD 5 will be a step back?

GhaleonEB

Lefty42o said:
and i said it will be the xbox/gamecube of this gen. which is what its trending at right now. and my point was it will likely be this way clawing trying to get a hold till the next gen hits. very similar to the gamecube and xbox.

Just to back that up, the GC/XBox sold almost the exact same number of units in November 2002, and the PS3 is behind the XBox and GC LTD by about a million units and 500k, respectively.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
GhaleonEB said:
Just to back that up, the GC/XBox sold almost the exact same number of units in November 2002, and the PS3 is behind the XBox and GC LTD by about a million units and 500k, respectively.

I think Sony will gloss over that little factoid in their press release.

Robert R1

Banned
Matt said:
Again, you're jumping to some pretty massive conclusions (and also seem to have a personal axe to grind.) 117,000 people bought the game, that easily covers everyone in the GAF Uncharted thread several times over. Hell, that's many times the amount of people talking about the game across the whole of the internet.

The fact that good amount of people really like the game doesn't make them delusional, and the fact that is sold poorly doesn't mean the game is bad.

I simply described the process PS3 exclusives follow on the net and it's effect (or lack there of) on final sales.

Having bought the game, enjoyed it and recommending to other PS3 owners, I have no axe.

Lefty42o

Banned
Matt said:

i said the game was bad imho.

i said after all the hype for the demo, the psn store crashing, which i guess alot of people decided to dl what that day and if they dl the demo just let it sit there?

many game sites had huge threads on the demo. not just gaf.

and in the end it sold 117k units in novemebr when it released. maybe you liked it but it appears not many did. when a game has a demo out and still sells like garbage something is wrong. a good game would have sold alot more with a demo don't you think?

but at this point i am done debating it. 117k units is all the data we need.

and yes as a ps3 owner i felt to much went into a garbage game. give me killzone or gow 3. for now i have ut3 which i suggest every ps3 owner buy.

Speevy

Banned
Robert R1 said:
I simply described the process PS3 exclusives follow on the net and it's effect (or lack there of) on final sales.

Having bought the game, enjoyed it and recommending to other PS3 owners, I have no axe.

You have an axe, and you're grinding it.

Sean

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I know that. You read a stealth edit, made so fast your quote didn't even snag it. :p

Haha whoops :p

Those Shadowrun sales don't seem too awful actually. I thought it sold like 20k or something but 134k for the first two months (it was released May 29 too so its really more like one month) is surprisingly decent for a $60 MP only online game. Warhawk's first two months at retail was 103,600 for comparison (though that doesn't include any PSN sales obviously).

wolforce

Not bad for PS3, it's always a 400-500$, and this with a strong competition, next year with a price of 300$ and second generation of games will be different.

GhaleonEB said:
What I'm still kind of uncertain about is why so many people seem so hurt by the prospect of Sony coming up last.

You still get good games, maybe not as many as graced the PS2, but it's not like you'll be let in the gutter. This isn't a cart vs CD generation. No one will be limited to two or three releases a year (ala N64) so man up and get over it.

The PS3 will never be market leader... hell it may never get within 5 million units of the 360, but you'll still enjoy it won't you? You'll still get games right?

Yoboman

Gold Member
Lefty42o said:

I mean that PS3 will actually have some reasons for people to buy it next year, and we'll see how it does then. It's a difficult thing to do, but it only takes a few things to change the flow of perspective. PS3 could be doing numbers like 360 is right now by the end of next year, if it's lineup is consistent

Lefty42o

Banned
Yoboman said:
I mean that PS3 will actually have some reasons for people to buy it next year, and we'll see how it does then. It's a difficult thing to do, but it only takes a few things to change the flow of perspective. PS3 could be doing numbers like 360 is right now by the end of next year, if it's lineup is consistent

which is why i compared it to the gamecube and xbox last gen. they both had upswings but always went back down to their normal levels. the trend appears the ps3 will do the same. the holidays may move alot of units but the other 9-10 months it will be in that gamecube and xbox range.

anything better would be great but at this point would also be wishful thinking i believe.

Stantron

Sean said:

CoD2 - 250,000
CoD3 - 333,000
CoD4 - 1,500,000

For someone who enjoyed CoD3, the bar has been set way too fucking high for Treyarch to surpass those CoD4 numbers with CoD5. Especially with all the WWII hate. Hopefully Treyarch will rise to the challenge of those doubting their abilities. I believe.

Congrats, IW! Very well done. Can't wait to see what you do next. CoD6 or new IP? With numbers like those, Activision better let you guys do what ever the hell you want. :D

Yoboman

Gold Member
Lefty42o said:
i said the game was bad imho.

i said after all the hype for the demo, the psn store crashing, which i guess alot of people decided to dl what that day and if they dl the demo just let it sit there?

many game sites had huge threads on the demo. not just gaf.

and in the end it sold 117k units in novemebr when it released. maybe you liked it but it appears not many did. when a game has a demo out and still sells like garbage something is wrong. a good game would have sold alot more with a demo don't you think?

but at this point i am done debating it. 117k units is all the data we need.

and yes as a ps3 owner i felt to much went into a garbage game. give me killzone or gow 3. for now i have ut3 which i suggest every ps3 owner buy.
You got banned for trolling this game in the Uncharted thread for a reason

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stantron said:
For someone who enjoyed CoD3, the bar has been set way too fucking high for Treyarch to surpass those CoD4 numbers with CoD5. Especially with all the WWII hate. Hopefully Treyarch will rise to the challenge of those doubting their abilities. I believe.

Congrats, IW! Very well done. Can't wait to see what you do next. CoD6 or new IP? With numbers like those, Activision better let you guys do what ever the hell you want. :D

Fuck the sales numbers, Treyarch should concentrated on not sucking air this time

Yoboman

Gold Member
Lefty42o said:
which is why i compared it to the gamecube and xbox last gen. they both had upswings but always went back down to their normal levels. the trend appears the ps3 will do the same. the holidays may move alot of units but the other 9-10 months it will be in that gamecube and xbox range.

anything better would be great but at this point would also be wishful thinking i believe.
That's awfully presumptious. What if it's like PSP and it's "normal level" continues to get higher and higher? Except it will have exceptional software to continue boosting it

Lefty42o

Banned
Yoboman said:
You got banned for trolling this game in the Uncharted thread for a reason

i wasn't trolling i was giving my impressions. in a impression thread. i believe very compliant i mentioned was also mentioned in tons of reviews. guess they were trolling as well.

Yoboman said:
That's awfully presumptious. What if it's like PSP and it's "normal level" continues to get higher and higher? Except it will have exceptional software to continue boosting it

what if. it would be great for us ps3 owners but as a xbox and gamecube owner i knew we would never take off. at some point as a ps3 owner you have to accept that. as long as it continues to sell at atleast xbox and gamecube levels it will help influence the market. i aint here saying its going to fold like dreamcast. just that it wont all of a sudden start selling at 360 or wii levels.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Lefty42o said:
i wasn't trolling i was giving my impressions. in a impression thread. i believe very compliant i mentioned was also mentioned in tons of reviews. guess they were trolling as well.
Trolls are defined by their attitude, not their opinions

Lobster

Banned
E-phonk said:

If you hadn't told me..I wouldn't have known.

Lefty42o

Banned
Yoboman said:
Trolls are defined by their attitude, not their opinions

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line community such as an on-line discussion forum or group with the singular intention of baiting users into an argumentative response.[1] It often has a broader meaning referring to any shady trouble making Internet activity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

no trolls are defined by their intent. to rile up for no good reason. not my intent. i was just posting my impressions in the impression thread.

next go thru my post history and explain how my attitude was that of a troll. i was not in the main thread bashing the game. i even said the demo was solid. just it was missing something and other issues.

i was attacked for not being positive and even called an xbot. my posts in other threads about other topics were pulled out of my history and posted in the thread for no good reason.

so as a ps3 owner and someone who downloaded the demo thru all the crashing of the store and played it i was a troll cause i did not like the demo and expressed those impressions in the impression thread? got it. now we see why it sold 117k units.

Uncharted simply didnt get enough mass media attention is the problem. Its definitely not a bad game judging from reviews and impressions of 90% of people who actually PLAYED the game. Sony ought to have had massive hype campaign behind the game, starting back in summer/spring....developer interviews/showcases on MTV/G4/SpikeTV/ESPN and preceded the month before launch with a massive TV ad campaign. That is the hype needed to generate good sales.....not just ad during launch week that had limited airtime. It worked for the mediocre Ass Creed.....it would've definitely worked for Uncharted.

Zzoram

The only reason people paid attention to those Assassin's Creed interview videos was because of Jade Raymond. Ubisoft knows how to sell, Fact.

Top Bottom