• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

Yoboman

Gold Member
GhaleonEB said:
Just expressing a dissenting opinion made him a heckler? Hmm, I seem to recall a huge thread about groupthink and how dissenting opinions are welcome as long as they are supported.
Yes, when he supports his opinions by suggesting that everyone else is enjoying it because "the lack of quality games on the ps3 have lead alot of people to be all into this game when in reality its a avg game"

[Nintex]

frAntic_Frog said:
well isnt ps3 still getting nearly all 3rd party games as well as japanese dev support? that was something the gamecube and xbox suffered last gen respectively
Up untill late 2003 or early 2004 the Gamecube had alot of multiplatform games like the PS3 now. Burnout, Prince of Persia, Dragonball Z, PES, Splinter Cell, Soul Calibur, Need for Speed most games launched on all three platforms. When it became obvious that the Gamecube had no chance to redeem itself alot of gamecube ports got cancelled. The biggest Gamecube port factory Acclaim blamed Nintendo for their failures.

Zzoram

I can't see 3rd parties abandoning ports for the PS3. There is still money to be made. I can see 3rd party exclusives dry up for the PS3 very quickly however.

Gary Whitta said:
The fact that the GTA franchise was once the #1 reason to be a Playstation gamer and in 2008 will become the #1 reason to be a 360 gamer says much about why and how Sony is losing this generation.

Yep.

Lefty42o

Banned
Yoboman said:
Yes, when he supports his opinions by suggesting that everyone else is enjoying it because "the lack of quality games on the ps3 have lead alot of people to be all into this game when in reality its a avg game"

and that was my opinion as a ps3 owner. once again how was that trolling? was i all up in the unhcarted thread or was i in the impression thread giving my impression?

come on man. i was referring to the rose colored glasses many people wear based on situations. and i still feel its the truth. but games like cod 4, ac and ut3 changed the landscape. and the sales of uncharted reflect that imho.

Gary Whitta said:
Although on 360 it would have gotten sandwiched in between a whole bunch of other AAA+ titles and possibly lost in the crush.

What's baffling about Uncharted's failure on PS3 is that it had a pretty wide-open field and PS3 users still didn't pick it up in significant numbers. Something is going on here. Either many PS3 buyers are only getting it for Blu-ray, or PS3 gamers have shitty taste in games, or both.

In my experience PS3 owners are buying it because its a playstation and they have no awareness of either machines library and talk of reading a review gets the GEEK! accusation.

Sony are picking up the causal gaming demographic, who want something under their TV (what better thing to have to show off than the latest playstation) but dont play games every day like we do.

While MS (because of the friends list imho) seem to have the knack of turning people into hardcore gamers, I can empahise this enougth but I play football in a team and 4 of my team mates who had PS2's for Fifa and Tiger woods only came round my house once and I showed them Gears of War online mutiplayer. Within 2 weeks they all had a 360, within a month they hadd had HD Tv's, now they buy everything up just like me and play online more than I do, if I want to play single player I have to unplug my router because otherwise I just get constant game invites from them.

None of them even batted an eyelid when I was helping the set it up and told them online cost £40 either.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Gary Whitta said:
The fact that the GTA franchise was once the #1 reason to be a Playstation gamer and in 2008 will become the #1 reason to be a 360 gamer says much about why and how Sony is losing this generation.
THAT SONY! Gotta stick it to 'em as always, right Gazza!?

C4Lukins

Gary Whitta said:

Not just GTA. It was the third party system of choice. Guitar Hero, GTA, Madden, Need for Speed, Fifa, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear..... It still has two of those, but that may not be the case in the longterm. I wonder if Nintendo can continue this strong unless they claim some of these franchises.

Lefty42o

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
In my experience PS3 owners are buying it because its a playstation and they have no awareness of either machines library and talk of reading a review gets the GEEK! accusation.

Sony are picking up the causal gaming demographic, who want something under their TV (what better thing to have to show off than the latest playstation) but dont play games every day like we do.

While MS (because of the friends list imho) seem to have the knack of turning people into hardcore gamers, I can empahise this enougth but I play football in a team and 4 of my team mates who had PS2's for Fifa and Tiger woods only came round my house once and I showed them Gears of War online mutiplayer. Within 2 weeks they all had a 360, within a month they hadd had HD Tv's, now they buy everything up just like me and play online more than I do.

None of them even batted an eyelid when I was helping the set it up and told them online cost £40 either.

i will say the 360 and ps3 got me to get a hdtv. than i had to go bigger, than 1080p true hd. they both are influencing other markets than just their own and its impressive to watch specially when you see friends go thru the same transition you did.

Zzoram said:
I suspect that it would because the Playstation brand still has a lot of mindshare, if not next-gen marketshare. At least in Europe, they would need the price advantage to keep the pressure on Sony. In addition to that, the added value of a Blu-ray player may become more of a factor in 2008 as the number of HDTVs in homes increases.

Besides, a $50 price cut along with GTA:IV and playing up the exclusive 360 content is probably the smartest thing Microsoft could do in 2008 to ensure they stay the cheapest way to get the best version of GTA:IV. Microsoft wouldn't have paid $50 million for day-and-date release and exclusive content if they didn't think it was critical for winning over the PS2 market. They need to be cheaper than the PS3 to win over a portion of the PS2 market, and Sony is probably going to cut price in Spring before GTA:IV and MGS4 anyways if they hope to ever get 3rd party exclusives ever again.

You need to take the bigger picture :
- 3rd party support is an even playing field for 2008. the de-facto (timed or not) exclusives 360 got is no more.
- First party games Sony plans to release are (for the moment) of a different caliber than what has been annonced so far on 360.
- The bleeding is finished : on ww sales, they both sell the same amont app. But ps3 has yet to pick-up in japan whereas all hope is lost for 360 there. WKS may be one of those putting the nail on the coffin.
- price is an issue but value is another issue. Until price was cut for ps3, value was not analysed as it was just in absolute value to expensive for the target customers. But at the current price $399, value comes into play. Game list will be equivalent so hardware/online will be taken more into consideration. And hardwarewise, ps3 packs more.
- if i were a developper, i would sure love to tap into ps3 to show what i'm capable off as pride and aura plays definitely a role for a dev studio.
- At any moment (it may never happen though), a game can land on ps3 and the general consensus be that it's not possible on 360. (could be different reasons : takes 50 GB, use harddrive for it's engine, etc.).

The only thing now Sony must do is to minimize the bleeding is US until fall is passed to begiin 2008 round on a good feet.

C4Lukins

Hammer24 said:
Hey, I´m serious. This is the casual game on 360, would be nice to see how it does.

The best I can do is number 36, 360 game on Amazon between Viva Pinata and Rainbow Six Vegas.

Hammer24 said:
Hey, I´m serious. This is the casual game on 360, would be nice to see how it does.
I'm interested to know too, when it was announced there was a lot of chatter about it spearheading an MS push into the Wii/casual market so I'm keen to see what kind of uptake there was.

Zzoram

mr_bishiuk said:

While MS (because of the friends list imho) seem to have the knack of turning people into hardcore gamers, I can empahise this enougth but I play football in a team and 4 of my team mates who had PS2's for Fifa and Tiger woods only came round my house once and I showed them Gears of War online mutiplayer. Within 2 weeks they all had a 360, within a month they hadd had HD Tv's, now they buy everything up just like me and play online more than I do, if I want to play single player I have to unplug my router because otherwise I just get constant game invites from them.

Microsoft did say that only 50% of Xbox 360 owners had an Xbox 1 (probably the survey with "what consoles you own" boxes to tick off on Xbox.com when creating a gamertag, or editing the profile of one).

Only 2 of the people I know that have an Xbox 360 had an Xbox 1, and I know a dozen people with a 360. Most of the non-Xbox 1 owners have a PC gaming background, which isn't surprising given the types of games on Xbox 360.

Lefty42o

Banned
natureman3 said:
- 3rd party support is an even playing field for 2008. the de-facto (timed or not) exclusives 360 got is no more.
- First party games Sony plans to release are (for the moment) of a different caliber than what has been annonced so far on 360.
- The bleeding is finished : on ww sales, they both sell the same amont app. But ps3 has yet to pick-up in japan whereas all hope is lost for 360 there. WKS may be one of those putting the nail on the coffin.
- price is an issue but value is another issue. Until price was cut for ps3, value was not analysed as it was just in absolute value to expensive for the target customers. But at the current price $399, value comes into play. Game list will be equivalent so hardware/online will be taken more into consideration. And hardwarewise, ps3 packs more.
- if i were a developper, i would sure love to tap into ps3 to show what i'm capable off as pride and aura plays definitely a role for a dev studio.
- At any moment (it may never happen though), a game can land on ps3 and the general consensus be that it's not possible on 360. (could be different reasons : takes 50 GB, use harddrive for it's engine, etc.).

The only thing now Sony must do is to minimize the bleeding is US until fall is passed to begiin 2008 round on a good feet.

many games have already been announced but ms has been bashed for deciding to focus e3 on this year. fable, too human, maybe alan wake, gears of war 2, splinter cell conviction, ut3 and many others. Major nelosn had said there would be a xbox only show some time in tghe future to show off 2008.

right now we have maybe killzone and gt5 and mgs4 possibly coming out next year. and if we get lucky ffxiii. its the same that has been said since ps3's launch. x game is coming out. and yes they will help probably move consoles and build the library. But to think ms is sitting still is foolhardy.

next maybe the dev issues with the ps3 will improve but the 360 got those defacto timed exclusives because of those issues. neither you nor I can say they will not exist.

since ms focused on this holiday at e3 its foggy as what will happen in 2008 but we do know about many games as i mentioned. your reasons are the same that were said before the ps3 launched and through out this year. and it has struggled and big games have struggled. maybe home will change alot but i personally doubt it. same reasons live and all the extra power and internal hdd of the original xbox never could change the path it was on. i doubt much will change in the landscape over the next year

natureman3 said:

Sounds familiar, heard that before, if we replace 399 with 599 and 2008 with 2007 though...

Besides, why is a Elite or 360 Premium still selling better than a 399 PS3 with Bluray and WiFi? I mean, for 50 bucks more you get a Bluray Player instead a 360 Premium, and you have to be an idiot to buy an Elite, when you can have a Bluray Player instead. Right? Well, no, it just shows that the mass market doesn't really care (or know) whats inside...

Zzoram

I think Microsoft was serious when they said they wanted 2007 to focus on 2007. The had a huge hit every month, I don't think a single month went by without at least one 400K+ game, and all of those ended up at 1 million after a few more months.

They obviously had the strongest line up this year and wanted people to focus on what would be available when buying a console for Christmas. However, I wouldn't write off 2008 just yet.

Fable 2
Too Human
Alan Wake
Ninja Gaiden 2
Halo Wars (just because it has Halo in the name)
Banjo Kazooie 3
Gears of War 2???
GTA:IV exclusive content (plus we know nothing is stupid enough to come out in GTA:IV month)

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up having 1 big exclusive every month kinda like 2007. They've already got half the year covered with the announced games.

Lefty42o

Banned
Zzoram said:
I think Microsoft was serious when they said they wanted 2007 to focus on 2007. The had a huge hit every month, I don't think a single month went by without at least one 400K+ game, and all of those ended up at 1 million after a few more months.

They obviously had the strongest line up this year and wanted people to focus on what would be available when buying a console for Christmas. However, I wouldn't write off 2008 just yet.

Fable 2
Too Human
Alan Wake
Ninja Gaiden 2
Halo Wars (just because it has Halo in the name)
Banjo Kazooie 3
Gears of War 2???

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up having 1 big exclusive every month kinda like 2007. They've already got half the year covered with the announced games.

gtaIv with exclusive content
splinter cell exclusive

to name a couple others

Kintaro said:
Meh, next year I'll have all the systems anyways. I'll just Astrolad this gen. =)

only way to go :D

Zzoram

Lefty42o said:
gtaIv with exclusive content
splinter cell exclusive

to name a couple others

Oh ya, is End War also 360 exclusive? Supreme Commander (but it won't be huge saleswise I don't think)

legend166

TheRipDizz said:
Taking the Wii $10 price disadvantage into account:
Software Nov. '07:
360:49.6%
Wii:32.8%
PS3:17.4%

Hardware % LTD:
360:48.1%
Wii:36.9%
PS3:15%

Thanks, pretty much as I expected. Although the 360 % is actually a little lower than I thought.

If these numbers continue to stay similar, I can't see there being anyway the Wii doesn't eventually overtake the 360 software sales in America. Although I think it will take awhile, maybe not until 2009, because I think the 360 will have a pretty good 2008, especially if MS drop the price again early on.

Lefty42o

Banned
Zzoram said:
Oh ya, is End War also 360 exclusive? Supreme Commander (but it won't be huge saleswise I don't think)

i am sure we are forgetting a couple others as well. i expect 2008 to be as solid software wise, excluding halo 3 :D , as 2007 was to some extent. many people who donlt follow the 360 closely don't know cause all they remember is how ms focused on 2007 at e3.

seems they have been making the right moves time after time.

natureman3 said:

Oh, we've heard this song and dance soooooo many times before "once game x comes out, it's ALLLLL over for Microsoft. Sales are going to 'SPLODE!" or "Once they drop the price, the PS3 is gonna be like Hulk Hogan run WILD ALL OVER YOU!!!!!"

But time and time again, once every "great system seller" comes out, most PS3 fans ignore it (sometimes they don't, most times they do...don't believe me? Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted say "WTF happened?"). Sure, each time a price drop has happened, sales spike, PS3 fans get excited, then sales drop again. Does things mean that they're finally changing now with the lower 399$ figure? I'd like to hope so. But at the same time, PS3 owners have got to start buying the games. Otherwise, all those yummy titles you keep looking forward to? They go away. Why? Because the Sony folks just weren't buying them.

The time is now, Sony fans: Put up, or Shut up. Show your buying power and BUY YOUR SYSTEMS GAMES. You talk such huge talk, roar like a lion in defiance to the Microsoft & Nintendo 1-2's combo punch to your ballsack, but in the end, you whimper like a little mouse at the registers and fail to buy the games for your system.

So what are you? Lion or Mouse?

Give everyone in the industry a reason to look at the NPD #'s, not to "See how bad Sony did compared to everyone else...." but to see "Who kicked who's ass this month...."

Put up, or Shut up.

Those are your options.

Lefty42o

Banned
legend166 said:
Thanks, pretty much as I expected. Although the 360 % is actually a little lower than I thought.

If these numbers continue to stay similar, I can't see there being anyway the Wii doesn't eventually overtake the 360 software sales in America. Although I think it will take awhile, maybe not until 2009, because I think the 360 will have a pretty good 2008, especially if MS drop the price again early on.

but those 10 dollars don't disappear. thats the only flaw. and makes it more impressive at the total units sold at the extra price point.

Stumpokapow said:
MEGA SUMMARY NUMBER POST
All data here is legal. Sources are mostly GAF numbers, but include sporadic numbers from IGN, 1up, GameDaily.biz, Joystiiiiiiq, and Beyond3d (Not the leaked numbers, though)

Numbers since Wii/PS3 Launch

DS 8,476,743
Wii 6,019,848
X360 5,001,718
PS2 4,902,772
PSP 4,192,102
PS3 2,446,786

2007 Numbers:

DS 5,960,150
Wii 4,939,678

X360 3,358,832
PS2 2,844,765
PSP 2,762,920
PS3 1,759,104

Unfortunate I lost a hard drive a while ago so I don't have the numbers since 360 launch or further back. I haven't reconstructed anything from before November 2006 yet.

Million-sellers this year based on NON-LEAKED information:
Halo 3 (4,120,800)
Wii Play (3,033,700)
Call of Duty 4 Xbox 360 (1,570,000)
Mario Party 8 (1,250,862+ does not include this month, which is probably around 100-150k)
Madden Xbox 360 (1,138,954+ does not include this month, which is probably just under 100k)
Super Mario Galaxy (1,120,000)
Assassin's Creed Xbox 360 (980,000)--I know it's not a million, but very close.

Based on NON-LEAKED information, Madden PS3 and Call of Duty 4 are pretty much tied for the top two PS3 sellers at ~450k each. Madden is a bit lower but we don't have numbers for this month so it probably has a slight edge on CoD4 all told.

Even without the GBA, nintendo osld this year ALONE 11 millions systems. And without December. Holy shit.

Lefty42o

Banned
DiatribeEQ said:
Oh, we've heard this song and dance soooooo many times before "once game x comes out, it's ALLLLL over for Microsoft. Sales are going to 'SPLODE!" or "Once they drop the price, the PS3 is gonna be like Hulk Hogan run WILD ALL OVER YOU!!!!!"

But time and time again, once every "great system seller" comes out, most PS3 fans ignore it (sometimes they don't, most times they do...don't believe me? Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted say "WTF happened?"). Sure, each time a price drop has happened, sales spike, PS3 fans get excited, then sales drop again. Does things mean that they're finally changing now with the lower 399$ figure? I'd like to hope so. But at the same time, PS3 owners have got to start buying the games. Otherwise, all those yummy titles you keep looking forward to? They go away. Why? Because the Sony folks just weren't buying them.

The time is now, Sony fans: Put up, or Shut up. Show your buying power and BUY YOUR SYSTEMS GAMES. You talk such huge talk, roar like a lion in defiance to the Microsoft & Nintendo 1-2's combo punch to your ballsack, but in the end, you whimper like a little mouse at the registers and fail to buy the games for your system.

Give everyone in the industry a reason to look at the NPD #'s, not to "See how bad Sony did compared to everyone else...." but to see "Who kicked who's ass this month...."

Put up, or Shut up.

Those are your options.

i bought ut3 :D

Hellraizer said:
Sounds familiar, heard that before, if we replace 399 with 599 and 2008 with 2007 though...

Besides, why is a Elite or 360 Premium still selling better than a 399 PS3 with Bluray and WiFi? I mean, for 50 bucks more you get a Bluray Player instead a 360 Premium, and you have to be an idiot to buy an Elite, when you can have a Bluray Player instead. Right? Well, no, it just shows that the mass market doesn't really care (or know) whats inside...

Perhaps because people buy consoles to play games they fancy and to get the console their friends have so they can feel part of the discussion.

I think in gaming there are leaders and followers, the leaders bought 360s and they are the ones the followers look to when deciding what to get becuase they know the leaders care more about the subject.

In this instance even the leaders themselves probably expected to have PS3's buy now but because of the hooks in the Xbox live experience (achievement points, friends lists, demos, XBLA etc), shoddy ports to PS3, MS getting their Holiday line up SPOT ON, poor PS3 selling games and general negativity around the PS3 they have not felt the need to buy a PS3 at this point.

Whats worrying for Sony must be that these leaders will probably stick with MS for the next gen because all the XBLA accounts will be able to easily trasferred and their gamercards/samerscore etc will go with it. Who would want to start from scratch if Sony were to introduce something similar with PS4?

Zzoram said:

Im thinkin the latter half will be good..definitely not every month.

Lefty42o

Banned
abacab driver said:
Im thinkin the latter half will be good..definitely not every month.

what about the early half with gta Iv , splinter cell, and possibly ut3(i heard possibly in may and live friends really looking forward to it)?

i doubt every month but during the winter and spring i see them having solid games to help push them towards the second half of the year.

Hellraizer said:
So far as Blu-ray is concerned, maybe they have no interest in investing in a costly, confusing and uncertain HD format war right now, just as most people don't.

As for built-in wifi, I hardly think that's a big factor when it comes to a deciding which console to buy. Nice to have and worth considering but a deal-breaker? No. Most people probably aren't even aware of this until they've bought the system and are setting it up anyway.

I think ultimately it's got little to do with that's inside the box and more to do with perception (where PS3 is currently getting battered), price (where PS3 has only just finally become competetive) and game quality/choice (where PS3 isn't even close to competing yet).

I'll agree that you have to be an idiot to buy an Elite, though.

Hammer24

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
I'm interested to know too, when it was announced there was a lot of chatter about it spearheading an MS push into the Wii/casual market so I'm keen to see what kind of uptake there was.

Driley, perhaps you could kindly help us out here?

I'll agree that you have to be a gamer to buy an Elite, though.

Fixed! :D

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
DiatribeEQ said:

Put up, or Shut up.

Those are your options.

Sony could surely help Sony fans with better pricing on games... 1st party titles have been rising in price in PAL land at least and that won't be of much help for their 1st party titles which deserve praise (because they are AAA titles) and so far what did you expect... you spent $200 more buying the system (not counting accessories like a headset and a component/HDMI cable) that means $200 less to buy games with. It's that simple.

Still, I think that PS3 is a very good value for the price they ask and that Sony is on the right track to improve the PS echosystem: PSN store, Home, 1st party games quality, 3rd parties collaborations (UE3 work will pay off IMHO), etc... sony cannot give up on it and I do not think they will.

mugwhump

natureman3 said:

... uuuuuuuuuhhh..

Panajev2001a said:
Sony could surely help Sony fans with better pricing on games... 1st party titles have been rising in price in PAL land at least and that won't be of much help for their 1st party titles which deserve praise (because they are AAA titles) and so far what did you expect... you spent $200 more buying the system (not counting accessories like a headset and a component/HDMI cable) that means $200 less to buy games with. It's that simple.

Ah....but here's your problem with that statement:

Explain the 360 owners that will buy (in one sitting) a 349$ Premium, Halo 3, Bioshock, & CoD4, then go home and sign up for 1 years Gold Membership to Xbox Live.

and..........

They are MORE people doing what I just described, than folks spending the EXACT same amount of money on the PS3 in what you described.

Explain that.

Don't make me break out my Hulk Hogen T-Shirt and Headband. CUZ I'LL GO WILD ALL OVER YOU BROTHER! /rawr!

Zzoram said:

That's not true. Rolling Thunder betrayed:

The Darkness/NCAA/Allstar

So July out of 12 months. December kinda got lost in the thick of it too, but ME/Creed spill off should still count considering the year might as well end before December anyways.

I'm not really seeing what's supposed to kickoff 08 the same way 07 started. I mean, I guess Burnout is good but after that? Lost Odyssey in Feb?

Lefty42o

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
That's not true. Rolling Thunder betrayed:

The Darkness/NCAA/Allstar

So July out of 12 months. December kinda got lost in the thick of it too, but ME/Creed spill off should still count considering the year might as well end before December anyways.

I'm not really seeing what's supposed to kickoff 08 the same way 07 started. I mean, I guess Burnout is good but after that? Lost Odyssey in Feb?

than gta iv, splinter cell and possibly ut3 in may. but we will know more once we get past the holidays and we hear more from ms.

from what major nelson had said they will have a show to showcase 2008 after the holidays.

mugwhump

DiatribeEQ said:

Put up, or Shut up.

Those are your options.
This is dumb, too. The SDF doesn't make up the majority of the PS3's install base. Chances are they DO buy games for their systems, but how many Sony fans do you think there actually are IRL? :lol

I think you've spent too much time on GAF.

mugwhump said:
This is dumb, too. The SDF doesn't make up the majority of the PS3's install base. Chances are they DO buy games for their systems, but how many Sony fans do you think there actually are IRL? :lol

Yea even if there were 5k HArdcoree SDF guys on gaf they still would not have any effect on national sales really.

DiatribeEQ said:

Put up, or Shut up.

Those are your options.

Jesus Christ, so GAF is gonna step up and even out the numbers? :'D

Hellsing321 said:
Nintendo DS 1.53 million
th_kramerdreamcoat.gif

Wii 981K
8axnlg5.gif

Xbox 360 770K
th_kramercar.gif

PSP 567K
th_blackwhitecookie.gif

PlayStation 2 496K
7293s3q.gif

PlayStation 3 466K
th_newmantruckfire.gif

*Gifs courtesy of Seinfeld appreciation thread

:lol :lol Nice job.

Reyzor XMG said:
Wasn't Uncharted supposed to be THE 'heavy hitter' that everyone was waiting for to finally drive sales past the competition? It's always, "Wait for: Lair, then Heavenly Sword, then R&C, then Uncharted..." See a trend here? I think the phrase, "Wait for 'x game' in 2008" needs to be retired, it's just setting up PS3 fans for disappointment.
not really
seems like new IPs on PS3 are risky and dont seem to push people to buy the system. Gotta rely on old franchises like Gran Turismo/MGS4/FF/Killzone to get people interested. Seems like people who grew up with those PS series want to see them on PS3 before plunging down the cash. Good word of mouth for Uncharted may help the sequel sell more most likely....it certainly helped GoW2 sell more than the first God of War

Raw64life said:
Again, for anyone who missed it or doesn't feel like wading through the thread...

360 ROCK BAND (T) 312K
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED: COLLECTOR'S EDITION (M) 140K

WII MARIO AND SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES (E) 328K
WII WII ZAPPER W/ LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING (E) 232K
WII LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE TRILOGY (E) 180K
WII HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL (E) 180K
WII RESIDENT EVIL UMBRELLA CHRONICLES (M) 121K
WII MANHUNT 2 (M) 19K

NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS (E) 227K

NDS FINAL FANTASY XII: REVENANT WINGS (E) 49K

PS3 UNCHARTED: DRAKE'S FORTUNE (T) 117K
PS3 RATCHET & CLANK FUTURE (T) 66K
PS3 ROCK BAND (T) 70K

PC CRYSIS (M) 87K
PC UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3 (M) 34K

-----

Rough LTDs

360 HALO 3 - ~4.1 million
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED - ~1.1 million
360 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~860K

WII WII PLAY W/REMOTE - ~3.0 million
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~710K
WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION - ~500K
WII ZACK & WIKI QUEST FOR BARBARO'S TREASURE - ~35K

NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS ~710K

PS3 RATCHET & CLANK FUTURE - ~140K

PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~1.5 million

-----

Hardware LTD Japan:

WII - 4,060,486
PS3 - 1,467,083
360 - 482,568

Hardware LTD America:

360: 7,862,151
WII: 6,019,685
PS3: 2,446,649

Nice numbers for Phantom Hourglass, but look at the INSANE attach rate of Halo 3. More then 50% !

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
mr_bishiuk said:

Pretty much true here.
Once some gets a 360. Its put all your friends on your list...you see what they are playing. OMG I want, Achievements, community. Really MS has hit a gold mine here with it. Thier online set up allows really has probably been the 2nd strongest factor this gen. The first being waggle lol. you think about how they set it up though. Arcade games on Wednesday only(2 at most, 1 while gearing up...full week of advertising it), Demos again and they got that nice flow of them also, Movies and TV shows, etc. Add in the ability to have conversation and such while watching a movie, text messaging, seeing what others are playing, and so much more. Its a bunch of little things that added up. Its not like the Wii where it was that bang and a revolution. This is more of that silent revolution to speak metaphorical.

mugwhump said:

The only person who mentioned directly the SDF was....well....you. I indirectly mentioned them, but more directly targeted....*gasp* Sony PS3 fans/owners. The SDF'ers aren't the ones not buying the games...it's the people who OWN the system that's not buying the games.

A person buys a PS3 in March of this year. 9 months later they've only bought 4 games. The trend is seemingly repeated over the entire systems userbase. SDF'ers, if anything, might be the people buying 7-8 games, but they only represent a far, far smaller % of the userbase than normal PS3 fans.

The facts are still the same: It's like a person having this great hotrod. Man, it's god a billion horsepower, can go from 0-60 in no time flat. Does a 1/4 mile under under 7 seconds, yada yada yada.

But they only take it our 4 times a year.

While the OTHER 2 people in his neighborhood, they have other cars they show off ALL the time. One guy, he's got a freakin' sweet car too. Does just about as much as the 1st guys car, sure, it's got some mechanical issues, needs to randomly go in the shop for repairs, but man, since he takes it out, ALL the time, he gets all the chicks. They LOVE his car, service problems or not. The 3rd guy, drives a zippy little 2 banger, not much to look at, has a little "Meep Meep" horn, and all in all, isn't much different than any other budget car out there...but man....EVERYONE wants one. And I mean...EVERYONE.

But the 1st guy....he's the guy that just breaks out his car a couple times a year, is always seen washing and waxing it, checking tire pressure, vaccuming out the interior....then he starts it back up, revs the engine a couple times.....then backs it slowely into the garage and then he's done with it till who knows when again.

Wanna guess who is who?

PolyGone

Banned
frAntic_Frog said:
not really
seems like new IPs on PS3 are risky and dont seem to push people to buy the system. Gotta rely on old franchises like Gran Turismo/MGS4/FF/Killzone to get people interested.

many people believe that MGS4 and FF will come to 360 anyway, so I don't really see those as being an ace in the hole for Sony, and what with the way things are looking, I wouldn't doubt that Konami and Square-Enix could pull a Capcom with their exclusivities

AniHawk

Gary Whitta said:
I'll agree that you have to be an idiot to buy an Elite, though.

There was a kid who came into our store asking to get an Elite because it was black. He wasn't going to do any online gaming with it. He just wanted a black 360.

Hammer24

Banned
Borys said:
What the fuck is wrong with you?

Well, the question is more what is wrong with you? You seem to be the only PC gamer left who hasn´t made the transition to console. "I am legend", right? ;)

Top Bottom