• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
schuelma said:
Holy poop. That's horrible right? Isn't that at pre slim levels almost?

Not quite. It's more or less half way between 2008 and 2009 november numbers.

Not very good at all. Sony should really revise their marketing strategy in NA I think.

Fredescu

MWS Natural said:
I know it's been a while but we really need to get this thing updated ASAP:
PS3chalkboard.png
Well may we say God save the Queen, because nothing will save the PS3.
Aussie joke.

Sony had to have known they conceded this holiday.

GT5 alone wasn't going to cut it. You need more than one piece of software to entice a frenzy.

Guy Legend

The gap between XB360 and PS3 in November should be embarrassing for Sony, especially in the month Gran Turismo 5 finally came out.

DuckRacer

Snuggler said:
has the "it only had a few days" argument ever been validated?

just curious
Infamous released late may and actually had better numbers reported for its second month. But other than that no.

Dabanton

Well guys you asked for an exciting NPD and here you have it, so much to discuss.

And are people already making excuses for GT5?

Wish we could see Kinect numbers. That seems to be the only logical explanation for the gap between the two; although that's on the presumption that it sold bucket loads

V_Ben

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Sony had to have known they conceded this holiday.

GT5 alone wasn't going to cut it. You need more than one piece of software to entice a frenzy.

This year seemed to be somewhat Frontloaded for them. I can see what you mean with them having "conceded" this holiday season... A racing game alone isn't going to whip the public into a shopping spree. Gotta have variety.

They should really just slash the price and get it over with.

The thing has been overpriced for too long
I want a Slim model bad

Saiyar said:
Since the Wii and DS are down I guess this means that the PS3 and/or the PSP has single digit growth (would be funny if it is the PSP). Hopefully we can get somehting a lot more concrete than that in the near future.

edit: PS3 number are out and it doesn't make sense for the PSP to be up. Just strangely worded PR.

YTD growth, not just for the month.

530k... Yeah, 10-year life cycle my ass. :lol Expect 360 to fall off to similar numbers post holiday.

Next gen is still coming in 2012-2013, folks, despite what company reps would like you to believe.

legend166

With those terrible PS3 sales, I wonder if we'll see a situation where Nintendo and Sony compete head to head with new consoles say in early 2012 and Microsoft keeps on trucking with the 360.

Sipowicz

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
Hey jett, what's your position on GT5? I don't think you've made that clear fifteen times yet.

he's right though. gran turismo used to be fucking massive

now it can't even crack the top 5 in america and it's dropping like a rock in japan

legend166 said:
With those terrible PS3 sales, I wonder if we'll see a situation where Nintendo and Sony compete head to head with new consoles say in early 2012 and Microsoft keeps on trucking with the 360.

Sony can't afford to release a new console in 2012.

Mrbob

Flakster99 said:
I am not surprised at the PS3 numbers. It has A LOT going for it, but it's hardware price is still to damn high in comparison to the competition it is facing.

Maybe Sony is happy with how much hardware it is selling, along with Move and total software sales. How much did the PS3 sell last November?

No one at Sony should be happy. They just got spanked by almost a million units by their nearest competitor. Next month might have a bigger gap.

We might be looking at a historic month. The month where the Xbox 360 takes control of the USA market, and possibly the fading away and death of the Playstation brand.

Dragon

Banned
Sipowicz said:
he's right though. gran turismo used to be fucking massive

now it can't even crack the top 5 in america and it's dropping like a suicidal rock in japan

Did I say he was wrong? I'm not even disagreeing with him. I'm just tired of seeing it everywhere!

Garjon

I have no idea how the PS3 could only manage 530k sales for one of the biggest months of the year. The low GT5 position can easily be explained though: fucked up launch, reviews that weren't all above 9/10, the fact that it's a sim racer releasing in the US, poorly advertised (it was in the UK anyway).

What I really cannot wrap my head around though is how on earth Hot Pursuit sold so well, combined SKUs or not. Anyone?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Thought that Sports would outsell DC, guess not.
Wonder where sports sits then..

VALIS

Holy 360.

And GT5's low position isn't surprising. A lot has changed in the video gaming world since the last one was out.

Sean

Banned
Lol at 530k PS3 :lol .. Not a good month for Sony at all. I'm looking forward to seeing how they spin this in their PR (if they even release one this month).

Top Bottom