• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

I think I'm dropping out of gaming, I feel CoB:Black Ops is going to be the "Jaws" of computer games, no game will be allowed to be experimental when you have figures like that!!

And Sony needs to drop America and start promoting in China or something? Get to the emerging markets!!

Poor Sony, they have a great console but they are fucking it over big time. They needed something big for the holidays besides GT5. It is to bad LBP 2 wasnt ready in time for November, that would have helped. If PS3 sales dont pick up soon they will have to panic cut the price again.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Cosmonaut X said:
Also - Kinect launch, post-redesign, Blops launch etc. and it was still that close? I really think Nintendo deserve more credit than they get for how well the Wii is still selling considering what their competitors are throwing out there...

Definitely, though now they are actually forced to do what their competitors do and lower prices, introduce bundles, etc.

I think it can do pretty well in the U.S for a while longer, especially for the holidays. But I still think a successor is coming sooner than later.

Assuming those PS3 numbers are correct, I think we're seeing the Kinect/Move effect. I don't think as many casual gamers are buying a PS3 with Move as are buying a 360 with Kinect, i.e. Kinect sells consoles, Move doesn't.

Also, part of the gap has to be down to the fact that buying a 360 with Black Ops is cheaper than buying a PS3 with Black Ops.

Guy Legend

The interesting thing is that the PS3 outsold the Wii for the past several months. Suddenly during the holiday period, XB360 and Wii sales explode while the PS3 lags behind. Still too expensive for the mass market buyer.

PS3 should have dropped $50 alongside GT5.

Sipowicz said:
kevin butler is a terrible character and all the adverts with him in are shit. the people who find him funny are the types of people who bought a PS3 on launch day for a ridiculous price just because it was a ps3

sony need to go back to the PS1 era when they were at the pinnacle of their marketing capabilities
QFT!

Sipowicz said:
kevin butler is a terrible character and all the adverts with him in are shit. the people who find him funny are the types of people who bought a PS3 on launch day for a ridiculous price just because it was a ps3

sony need to go back to the PS1 era when they were at the pinnacle of their marketing capabilities

This.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Zeouterlimits said:
Worldwide? They still own Japan and Continental Europe.

I'm not up to date on PAL territories, but their Japan advantage is tiddly winks compared to the U.S.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Guy Legend said:
The interesting thing is that the PS3 outsold the Wii for the past several months. Suddenly during the holiday period, XB360 and Wii sales explode while the PS3 lags behind. Still too expensive for the mass market buyer.

Several months means 2 months.

farnham

Banned
how much did blackops wii sell ?

i hope it sold at least enough to warrant a cod whatever comes out next year wii..

it was painful to have those infinity ward cods comming out 2 years later =(

gerg

Cosmonaut X said:
Less of an "eaten alive" and more of a little nibble, I think ;-)

Also - Kinect launch, post-redesign, Blops launch etc. and it was still that close? I really think Nintendo deserve more credit than they get for how well the Wii is still selling considering what their competitors are throwing out there...

It depends on how you want to spin it. On the one hand, you can say that Microsoft spent $500 million and launched a brand new peripheral only to outsell the Wii by ~100,000 units. On the other hand, Microsoft's having its best year yet in the 360's sixth.

Both Nintendo and Microsoft have reason to be happy.

DuckRacer

Kinect: 2.5 million WW according to that Dance Central article.
mujun said:
Maybe it's got nothing to do with amount of content or quality and it's just down to the type of game?
Gran Turismo is (was?) a much more popular series than Fable, though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sipowicz said:

Agreed.

Oh yeah, GO GO GO Donkey Kong Country.

So in one month in the US, the 360 managed to cancel out a fair chunk of all the 'catch up' the PS3 was doing WW?

December could get ugly.

Sipowicz

Banned
one thing i do hope is that sony gives the psp2 the support it deserves not the shitty support the psp1 got

it's clear that the PS3 is far from a huge sucess. it would benefit sony to put an equal, if not greater focus on the PSP2 and get teams like sucker punch and the warhawk people on the PSP2

FrankT

schuelma said:
Not to be too hyperbolic, but what the heck, it is NPD's- I think this month might be the deathknell of the PS3 U.S/worldwide LTD recovery idea as against the 360.

There will be a huge gap between these two for the holiday quarter US. Almost no way the shipments on Sony's side could larger. So it will be telling when we get them. YTD gap could be around 3 million when all said and done. It was 1 million before so it's now at 1.8 million YTD. Now around 9.2 million LTD.

DuckRacer said:
Kinect: 2.5 million according to that Dance Central article.

Gran Turismo is (was?) a much more popular series than Fable, though.

2.5 million what? They could do 5 million alone in the US by year end if true. :lol

Edit: It's the sale through WW number right?

Strike

travisbickle said:
I think I'm dropping out of gaming, I feel CoB:Black Ops is going to be the "Jaws" of computer games, no game will be allowed to be experimental when you have figures like that!!
Oh shit, here come the meltdowns... :lol

hamchan

Still, I think it's pretty damn good of the Wii to only be 100k behind the 360 since the 360 had Slim + Kinect this holiday and CODBLOPS probably sold a few systems as well.

EDIT: Oh the Wii is actually up this year? Nice.

NeoUltima

I guess I would have to attribute poor ps3 sales primarily to MS marketing. Between Kinect and the 'slim', they made the 360 as the HD console to get this holiday, whereas Sony just positioned Ps3 as an HD Wii. Lack of compelling exclusive software didn't help either. GT5 and...uhh
Sony needs a price drop, but I don't think they could afford one until next Fall.

apana

Busaiku said:
Wait, if Wii sold 1.27 million, that means it's up.
Last year it did 1.26 million

Yeah the 360 numbers are overshadowing it but honestly I think the Wii numbers are insane when you take recent trends into consideration. It could possibly sell above 3 million this december? Will Donkey Kong end up being a bigger franchise then Zelda?

Good to see DKCR up there, considering its somewhat slow start in the UK and it's fairly late release in the month.

Black Ops is just unbelievable though. And GT5's position is fairly disappointing (though that doesn't tell the whole story without numbers)

Sipowicz said:

Pretty much.

There has yet to be a decent PS3 ad campaign.

farnham

Banned
funny. i got so much flack when i asked people why kevin butler is so popular amongst gamers. and now everybody says he is not a good pr figure

Averon

Marketing had nothing to do with it. Sony bungled GT5's release at the last minute, had no compelling bundles for black Friday, the PS3 is still $100-$200 more than the competition, and other than GT5 had not real "gotta have it" exclusives for the console. Marketing was the least of their problems.

FrankT

farnham said:
funny. i got so much flack when i asked people why kevin butler is so popular amongst gamers. and now everybody says he is not a good pr figure

You're not alone amigo, but I'm sure we will see every commercial ever from em here.

schuelma said:
I'm not up to date on PAL territories, but their Japan advantage is tiddly winks compared to the U.S.
Fair enough, but I thought the consoles were both in the 44~ million range in a report recently.

gerg

Jtyettis said:
2.5 million what? They could do 5 million alone in the US by year end if true. :lol

That 2.5 million figure represents world-wide sales, I think. I've been underestimating Microsoft in the past, so they may very well reach 5 million for the year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them miss it by a bit. Kinect seems to have slowed down a bit outside of the US, for example.

tzare

Guy Legend said:

agree, however they are probably holding the price as long as they can. They know they've lost the race in US, but the rest of the world is another story, so i guess they balanced if it was worth to cut the price to maybe get 700-800k in US but lose those 700k*$50

[Nintex]

apana said:
Yeah the 360 numbers are overshadowing it but honestly I think the Wii numbers are insane when you take recent trends into consideration. It could possibly sell above 3 million this december? Will Donkey Kong end up being a bigger franchise then Zelda?
Depends on how they'll market Zelda. Word is that it's out early 2011 in Europe. They'll probably release OOT 3DS and Zelda SS within months of each other for maximum sales explosion and marketing. Remember even Zelda's that suck(Phantom Hourglass) sell millions.

fernoca

corkscrewblow said:
That's pretty poor for "Kinect's killer app"

Although it's hilarious how much it outsold RB3. Silly HMX.
Not that poor and considering the "limited userbase"; even if there were 1 million Kinects in the US in those 20+ days, putting it at 250k is still pretty nice. It probably did a little more than that. If anything, overall performance will be dictated by the legs of the game if anything. Most people got Kinects, and no games and still debating which other game to get; outside the bundled-Adventures.

Top Bottom