• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

spwolf

Saitou said:
No manufacturer has ever stockpiled for the holidays.

Evver.

this has been going on forever... they should have like 5 million stockpiled now.
So I fully expect Wii to sell 3 million in December since they will have enough stock.

Slavik81 said:
And so it continues. First the problem is that third party games don't sell on Wii. Now the problem is that they do.

Seriously. Forget the sales of Zelda, Paper Mario, Metroid, and Guitar Hero 3, Wii is only selling to soccer moms because a guy told me so.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
spwolf said:
this has been going on forever... they should have like 5 million stockpiled now.
So I fully expect Wii to sell 3 million in December since they will have enough stock.

3 million worldwide in December? Quite possibly. 1mln US, 1mln Japan, 1mln Europe. No problem.

Why does everyone get pissed at the notion that Nintendo might be intentionally controlling supply? It makes perfect financial sense. Nintendo has consistently sold 400k units a month all year and thus earnings have been relatively smoothe. Consistent earnings are a deciding factor in stock valuation.

Plus, I definitely don't see this as "cheating" as some of you put it. To me, this makes all the sense in the world.

Fady K

Hmm...I wonder if Uncharted will even break 100k now :/

Hcoregamer00 said:
I just noticed that Ace Attorney 3 was a bomb, didn't crack the top ten sales for the DS.

WHAT THE HELL DS OWNERS, YOU FAIL SO MUCH AT LIFE.

Thats a shame man...Phoenix Wright 3 is a gem, aside Phantom Hourglass, it was the DS game to get for me. Cant believe it didnt crack the DS's own freakin top 10.

Weisheit

spwolf said:
WW? They'll do that easily.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Fady K said:
Thats a shame man...Phoenix Wright 3 is a gem, aside Phantom Hourglass, it was the DS game to get for me. Cant believe it didnt crack the DS's own freakin top 10.

Exactly, I was content with the third game not being on the top 20 console sales, but to not even crack the top ten DS sales is shameful.

Every person that owns a DS should have their head down in shame for doing such a horrible thing.

AdmiralViscen said:
Wii's top 10 is a piece of shit, I really don't think anyone should be proud of the userbase being cultivated there.

The big gamer-games do sell well, that's great. But there's so much garbage and party shit on there, I never expect third parties to try to replicate a Metroid when they can replicate a Carnival Games.

A few people at my friend's father's workplace have been asking advice on how to buy a Wii for Christmas. 40 year old women who just want Wii Sports for themselves.

Yeah, agreed. There's a lot of crap on that top 10.

November should indicate whether or not there is a real market for non-nintendo published core games (as a number of them hit the market). The sales of RE4 are encouraging, but the 30 dollar price point and the on-an-island release date don't do much to convince me that that Wii's userbase will support any type of hardcore 3rd party market penetration (wow that's a dirty sounding string of adjectives).

Speevy

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
What happened to Speevy? He didn't used to say such dumb things.

Dumb? In 2006, I used to defend the 360's performance because software sales are hot.

Now, there aren't any bright spots to the PS3's performance. How is it dumb to suggest that Sony might cut their losses at some point?

Redd

Hcoregamer00 said:
Exactly, I was content with the third game not being on the top 20 console sales, but to not even crack the top ten DS sales is shameful.

Every person that owns a DS should have their head down in shame for doing such a horrible thing.

I'm not surprised by the sales. When I went to gamestop to preorder the game they didn't know what the hell I was talking about. Found out later I was the only person that bought one there. I just hope capcom still brings out ace attorney 4.

Slavik81 said:
And so it continues. First the problem is that third party games don't sell on Wii. Now the problem is that they do.

I wouldn't call those third party games that great selling, but they are certainly shitty games.

I've been defending Wii for a long ass time here, don't pigeon hole me. At some point, Wii fans start sounding like PS3 fans. Wait till [some date in the future] for [some improvement of fortune], over and over again, with the picture never really changing.

Seriously, if Wii's advantage versus 360 is that it offers cheaper development... why wouldn't devs go one step further and go uber cheap like Carnival Games? Why bother making a competitor to Mario or Metroid or Paper Mario? They can let Nintendo satisfy that niche and just cash in on other shitty games.

It's exactly what's happening now.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Seriously. Forget the sales of Zelda, Paper Mario, Metroid, and Guitar Hero 3, Wii is only selling to soccer moms because a guy told me so.

Maybe if you'd actually read my post you'd see that I said that all the big gamer-games are selling great.

The question is: when will third parties start making these sort of gamer-games instead of the games they've been making? Since January or February, it's been "With Wii selling like this, it's only a matter of time!" "Wait a few more months for Wii's dominance to be clear!" "Wait for E3!" "Wait for TGS!" "Wait for E 4 All!"

It's just not happening.

DayShallCome said:
Yeah, agreed. There's a lot of crap on that top 10.

November should indicate whether or not there is a real market for non-nintendo published core games (as a number of them hit the market). The sales of RE4 are encouraging, but the 30 dollar price point and the on-an-island release date don't do much to convince me that that Wii's userbase will support any type of hardcore 3rd party market penetration (wow that's a dirty sounding string of adjectives).

I think the third party 'epic' games (or what have you) could sell just fine on Wii, I just don't see who is going to make them.

Fady K

Redd said:
I'm not surprised by the sales. When I went to gamestop to preorder the game they didn't know what the hell I was talking about. Found out later I was the only person that bought one there. I just hope capcom still brings out ace attorney 4.

Dont worry about that, its coming Q1 08.

What really sucks for Sony is that they are doing a lot of things right these days with price cutting, marketing, better games, better PSN updates, yet theyre taking too many hits.

Kestastrophe said:
Why does everyone get pissed at the notion that Nintendo might be intentionally controlling supply? It makes perfect financial sense. Nintendo has consistently sold 400k units a month all year and thus earnings have been relatively smoothe. Consistent earnings are a deciding factor in stock valuation.

Plus, I definitely don't see this as "cheating" as some of you put it. To me, this makes all the sense in the world.

They haven't stayed the same all year, they've been consistently rising as time has gone on.

And if this was such a brilliant strategy, why not replicate it in Japan and Europe?

No6

DeaconKnowledge said:
More Wiis were bought this month than Metroid since it launched, and it's pretty clear that almost none of the new Wii owners in October bought it for Metroid. Paper Mario is probably the same.

And if Metroid got 7th on the Wii with 45k in sales, and failure-Madden is at 10, then holy shit did Zack & Wiki bomb. Get ready for more PS2 ports from Capcom.

Grecco

Hcoregamer00 said:
I just noticed that Ace Attorney 3 was a bomb, didn't crack the top ten sales for the DS.

WHAT THE HELL DS OWNERS, YOU FAIL SO MUCH AT LIFE.

Well. For Starters it had what a week of sales. Seccond, imports from the Japan version hurt it plenty third did any of the previous ones chart?

It's just not happening.

Games dont magically happen in 6 months either. ITs 08 when we will know if theres a shift or not. Monster Hunter will be a big jump off point

No6 said:
More Wiis were bought this month than Metroid since it launched, and it's pretty clear that almost none of the new Wii owners in October bought it for Metroid. Paper Mario is probably the same.

And if Metroid got 7th on the Wii with 45k in sales, and failure-Madden is at 10, then holy shit did Zack & Wiki bomb. Get ready for more PS2 ports from Capcom.

The funny thing is, Madden Wii outsold Madden PS3 this month by a hair.

It begins whoamg

Fady K

Grecco said:
Well. For Starters it had what a week of sales. Seccond, imports from the Japan version hurt it plenty third did any of the previous ones chart?

Games dont magically happen in 6 months either. ITs 08 when we will know if theres a shift or not. Monster Hunter will be a big jump off point

Well the first one was sold out and Capcom had to reissue more stocks of the game.

RumFore

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
They haven't stayed the same all year, they've been consistently rising as time has gone on.

And if this was such a brilliant strategy, why not replicate it in Japan and Europe?

Because they can sell 1/2 million of them here in one swoop. Wii is very popular in Europe and Japan but I don't think it has ever sold over or near 1/2 million in one month in either of those territories like they do here on the regular. With such big numbers here it will not be obvious there doing it where as it might be in other places where the numbers are not so huge.

AdmiralViscen said:
The question is: when will third parties start making these sort of gamer-games instead of the games they've been making? Since January or February, it's been "With Wii selling like this, it's only a matter of time!" "Wait a few more months for Wii's dominance to be clear!" "Wait for E3!" "Wait for TGS!" "Wait for E 4 All!"

It's just not happening.

I know you're not going to like it, but I do think it's too early to call the future of Wii 3rd party support. While I'm definitely not thrilled with the fact that Wii has skewed very far from the hardcore audience, I don't think it's too late to appeal to that crowd (and remember that a lot of those people have Wiis, they just aren't drawn to any software).

Despite all of Wii's early success, it's only been out for a year. I'm not sure if you read the Capcom blog posting regarding Okami, but they didn't really consider development until April 2007. It took that long for them to realize that Wii's popularity wasn't going to fade any time soon. And considering Okami is a port, imagine how long it would take for a truely original title to make it from conceptualization to realization - surely longer than 6 months.

I still think 360 will be the ultimate 'winner' in terms of quality 3rd party core software, but I'm not convinced that Wii won't see much more support of that type than it's seeing right now.

RumFore said:
Because they can sell 1/2 million of them here in one swoop. Wii is very popular in Europe and Japan but I don't think it has ever sold over or near 1/2 million in one month in either of those territories like they do here on the regular. With such big numbers here it will not be obvious there doing it where as it might be in other places where the numbers are not so huge.

So what you're saying demand is much higher in the US, and therefore it's harder to find Wiis. Europe doesn't even have visible sales tracking, no one would find it "obvious" that Nintendo was doing this anyway. As if anyone with any knowledge of manufacturing thinks anything "obvious" is going on in the US. Call me when the New York Times posts an article about Nintendo hosing us.

They're selling half a million a month in the dead of summer and they still go for $400 on eBay, I really don't know what you people expect Nintendo to do.

No6 said:

Madden Wii outsold Madden PS3. And considering how crappy it was, I'm not thinking that EA spent very much money on the Wii version :).

Grecco

Fady K said:
Well the first one was sold out and Capcom had to reissue more stocks of the game.

Yes i know. IT was also horribly undershipped too. It was a sleeper hit but it never garnered huge sales.

Either way calling it a bomb because it didnt chart? Was it supposed to. Great games rarely chart on DS/GBA its always Disney licenced games and the occasional Nintendo title.

Mysims, Carnival Games and DDR have great legs, and WTF at Drawn to Life increasing sales month over month, is that right?

After having played Mario Galaxy a bit, I don't expect this game to sell huge numbers, it'll probably match Sunshine and not much more. It's gonna sell to the usual Nintendo core userbase, not casuals nor new gamers, and will not be able to attract hardcore gamers from other platforms also (too kiddy looking for the playstation and xbox audiences).

Sharp

I'm kind of confused about that article. Is it by revenue rather than numbers? I feel like it must be, because GH3 PS3 isn't in the top ten on our charts but is on theirs.

botticus

Fady K said:
The first was drastically underproduced, so I doubt it charted even after selling out.

Z&W probably didn't bomb any harder than predicted... well, I should say I wouldn't have expected it to sell more than 30k, which it did sell less than. Who knows how much less though.

First Children said:
Mysims, Carnival Games and DDR have great legs, and WTF at Drawn to Life increasing sales month over month, is that right?

After having played Mario Galaxy a bit, I don't expect this game to sell huge numbers, it'll probably match Sunshine and not much more. It's gonna sell to the usual Nintendo core userbase, not casuals nor new gamers, and will not be able to attract hardcore gamers from other platforms also (too kiddy looking for the playstation and xbox audiences).
You probably weren't at any TRU in the country on Tuesday. I was in line at noon with about a dozen parents, young adults, kids, and older gentlemen.

Busaiku

Sharp said:
I'm kind of confused about that article. Is it by revenue rather than numbers? I feel like it must be, because GH3 PS3 isn't in the top ten on our charts but is on theirs.
They're ranked by revenue, but it also includes the units sold.

First Children said:

I disagree. I think Galaxy is going to really capitalize on holiday sales. To my knowledge, no Mario game has had this launch positioning before. Sure, Mario 64 was released in the fall, but the N64 was very supply constrained and that obviously affected Mario's sell through (though I bought a copy before I got my system). There are a ton of Wii's in the wild this holiday, and Mario is the type of game that people will see on Black Friday and purchase on the spot.

I really think Galaxy will have superb sales this holiday.

Redd

First Children said:

Wait, what, seriously?

segarr

Sharp said:
You can read the charts that list the units sold.

AdmiralViscen said:

Sales are relative to the other console manufacturers (i.e. 360 has jumped around from 100,000-500,000 units). The Wii has remained relatively consistent.

I am not sure what the sales have been like in Europe and Japan, so I cannot speak to that.

andthebeatgoeson

AniHawk said:
I saw that we were getting 12 in and thought "Oh good! That means we'll have some this weekend then."

What a fool I was to dream.
Nintendo still getting you? Sure, you'll be able to pick one up, day after launch. Just walk right in and pick it up. There'll be shelves of them.

Sharp

Whoa, that was really informative. Has this been available for every NPD, and I just didn't realize it? Anyway, I wouldn't call Dracula X Chronicles a bomb; it sold realy well for a PSP game. Actually, in general that PSP software chart looks a lot better than the last one I saw. The increased userbase and firmware upgrades must finally be having an effect!

AdmiralViscen said:
Maybe if you'd actually read my post you'd see that I said that all the big gamer-games are selling great.

It's just not happening.

Really. So according to you, third parties are going to continue to release Carnival games type knockoffs until the day the Wii is solidly put to rest?

So This does nothing for you then. Or this.This either.

Or should we be disregarding these titles for some reason? They're Japanese? Ports maybe? Or one was announced before we knew how successful the Wii was going to be?

This same bullshit happened with the DS in '04. 'Non-game' this and 'ruining gaming' that and 'real gamers' here and there. Slowly but surely the DS became the de facto Handheld, and the biggest source of hardcore gaming for many dwellers on this forum. Now the Wii comes around with *gasp* non-games, and it's the same schtick.

Yeah, the "Wait for X!" shit was stupid. It never happened with the DS, or 360. Hell, it never happened with the PS1 or 2 either. It was a slow, steady stream of announcements that quickly turned into a flood. I can only be anecdotal here, but i've seen more games announced for the Wii in the past 3-4 months than I have for the 360 or PS3 for next year. These big titles that for some reason haven't fit into your equation, have proved that there is an audience on Wii that goes beyond Soccer moms and party goers. Don't think for one second that 3rd parties won't exploit that.

Wii's Top 10 is a fucking joke. The fact that MySims and Carnival Games is on there proves that a good portion of Wii owners must be of the shortbus demographic.

Dirtbag

I can't wait to see Super Mario Galaxy numbers next month... The Wii (in my opinion - obviously not everyone else) just got its FIRST killer ap with Galaxy (i know, i know.. wii sports/zelda).. and the sales of the Wii have been nothing short of amazing.. Every month it suprises me.

Penguin said:
Orange Box did have some commercials.
It had the funky box from Portal
"What is inside the Orange Box?"

And then telling you the games and stuff.
Yeah, the one that was like "Includes the greatest game of all time. And the greatest add-on of all time. And the greatest game we could add in time. In the greatest color of all time."
mr_bishiuk said:
Is it fair to say that the 360 is grabbing more of the PS2 user base than the PS3 is (at least in the US)??
Seems likely, though without a study it'd be hard to confirm such things. I suppose there's always the second possibility that GameCube and Xbox fans infected those around them with the bug, while PS2 gamers have switched hobbies to bicycling.
Green Shinobi said:
Why the hell do you post on a gaming forum?
I still haven't bought any games for my PSP. Such is the danger of making the product attractive for more than the retail games, whether intentionally (media capabilities) or unintentionally (homebrew). Though I'll need FF Tactics when I get some money.
Jokeropia said:
First three Novembers spanned from ~470k to ~750k.
Though that last being with the recent $99 price, Zelda collection pack-in, and some $79 Black Friday deals, was not a typical time.
spwolf said:
Which, split among three major territories, might not be enough.
RumFore said:
Because they can sell 1/2 million of them here in one swoop. Wii is very popular in Europe and Japan but I don't think it has ever sold over or near 1/2 million in one month in either of those territories like they do here on the regular.
They've done it twice here: December 2006 and October 2007.

Redd

Renji_11 said:
Great games can possibly same a system would the Genesis have been a success without Sonic coming out?

I don't know Renji the dreamcast had some great games. Look how that turned out.

andthebeatgoeson

Kestastrophe said:

It's not that people get pissed off at the notion but more of the lack of proof that it's a credible notion. People usually just go off their 'feelings' when they 'claim' Nintendo is undershipping but I can prove to you that Wii's worldwide supply outdistances any other console in the history of gaming by DOUBLE.

Nintendo has shipped TWICE as many consoles as any other console ever made, month by month.

The great PS2, GBA, DS, GB, PS1, N64 with it's quick start. All of them never supplied the world with as many units in as short of a time then the Wii. Month by month, the Wii is drastically more available than any console in history. They DIRECTLY contradicts the notion that it's undersupplied.

How do you supply any product? You have to base it off of history and market demand. Nintendo looked at history and decided that 6 million units from Nov 06 to March 07 was not only enough, but better than any competitor in history. It's a direct contradiction and anybody who brings it up this crazy notion that the Wii is undersupplied should justify it. Whenever people bring up the contradiction, they are ignored. Is there any reasonable justification for the claim that Nintendo is undershipping?

Grecco

The Experiment said:
Wii's Top 10 is a fucking joke. The fact that MySims and Carnival Games is on there proves that a good portion of Wii owners must be of the shortbus demographic.

I wonder what that means for the PS3 demographic where Jericho charts or the X360 where Two Worlds and Tenchu chart. You make it sound like only Wii gamers buy shit software..

Aeon712

Is 74k good/normal for Ratchet? It usually tops out at a million right? Next mth should be interesting with Uncharted, Call of Duty 4, Mass Effect, Need for Speed and Rock Band.

AirBrian

And just think if we didn't get the NPD numbers. All this pent up sales-age/fanyboyism/frustration/bannings would have been sprayed all over the place instead of one nice thread.

andthebeatgoeson

AirBrian said:
And just think if we didn't get the NPD numbers. All this pent up sales-age/fanyboyism/frustration/bannings would have been sprayed all over the place instead of one nice thread.
Or we would be debating what the meaning of the word 'is' is. Check out Sony's pre-emptive PR.

Redd

Aeon712 said:
Is 74k good/normal for Ratchet? It usually tops out at a million right? Next mth should be interesting with Uncharted, Call of Duty 4, Mass Effect, Need for Speed and Rock Band.

Hopefully Ratchet has great legs. It had great advertising so I dont know what most ps3 users are buying.

Top Bottom