• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

Shamrock said:
I really can't understand the sell through on the Wii's. Everyone I know including myself has sold the Wii or traded it in for store credit. The only reason I can think of that they are selling so well is the way my group of buddies ended up buying one. That was they came over to my house, we had some Beer's and had a great time playing Wii sports together. Then you realize the console doesn't have much going for it outside it being a party toy. Hence why we all ended up trading it in at some point. The 1st party games were to few and far between and most of the 3rd party stuff sucks or is a basically a Xbox live arcade quality game in which they want 50 dollars for.

I wasn't disappointed in the Wii for what it is as far as inovation and control. I was disapointed in the lack of games, quality of 3rd party games, and lack of any type of good online system to actually play games.
Blue Ocean.

RumFore said:
I'm sticking with it. Nintendo is under manufacturing the Wii. Sure it would still sell a lot if it was in stores but I think it would level out if there was an abundance of them. And what makes some of you think the Wii is that hard to manufacture?

Then why is it no longer in shortage in Japan and Europe? And why have US sales continually risen as demand/supply came into balance in those regions?

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I don't understand the point with PSP. What do you do with a machine without games ?
PirateDog.jpg

Haunted

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I don't understand the point with PSP. What do you do with a machine without games ?
piracy runs rampant on the PSP.

edit: beaten, and with a nice picture no less. :lol

Davidion

AdmiralViscen said:
Then why is it no longer in shortage in Japan and Europe? And why have US sales continually risen as demand/supply came into balance in those regions?

But you are NOT SEEING THE CONSPIRACY!

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
When you have the opportunity, can you ask to these people why they buy a PSP without buying games too ?
There is the same phenomenon in Japan.

I want to know too. I always wonder how much CFW/piracy is actually affecting the software sales of PSP.

Weisheit

RumFore said:
I'm sticking with it. Nintendo is under manufacturing the Wii. Sure it would still sell a lot if it was in stores but I think it would level out if there was an abundance of them. And what makes some of you think the Wii is that hard to manufacture?
Tell me genius, why doesn't every manufacturer of consumer electronics (Sony and MS especially) use this same method?
I mean if creating a phenomena as big as the Wii is a simple matter of manipulating supply and demand why doesn't everybody do this?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Shamrock said:
I really can't understand the sell through on the Wii's. Everyone I know including myself has sold the Wii or traded it in for store credit. The only reason I can think of that they are selling so well is the way my group of buddies ended up buying one. That was they came over to my house, we had some Beer's and had a great time playing Wii sports together. Then you realize the console doesn't have much going for it outside it being a party toy. Hence why we all ended up trading it in at some point.
You realize your post basically equates to "Well, I don't like it, so how can everyone else?"

EDIT -
AdmiralViscen said:
I don't pirate PSP games, but I don't really know how to upgrade the firmware (bought it used) so I just don't buy shit. Maybe I'm not alone.
Any game that needs a firmware update to play will have it included on the disc.

RumFore said:

Under manufacturing the Wii and still sell more then half million in a month. Wow.

Saitou

Banned
RumFore said:
Quoting in hopes you get banned for it.

There have been more Wii manufactured since launch than ANY CONSOLE EVER.

GET IT THROUGH YOUR BRAIN, MORAN

B-Ri

AdmiralViscen said:
Because the post was fucking dumb, that's why.

Have you played Halo 3?

yes, from start to finish with every skull on legendary.

Resistance is the most underappreciated FPS, while without a doubt being Top Tier.

Borys

Banned
Kasumi1970 said:
Post like this should be bannaable. You should not call any person from any country stupid.

Sorry, it was my inner rage that NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer did not reach 1M sales yet Halo 3 did triple that amount.

Weisheit said:
Tell me genius, why doesn't every manufacturer of consumer electronics (Sony and MS especially) use this same method?
I mean if creating a phenomena as big as the Wii is a simple matter of manipulating supply and demand why doesn't everybody do this?

Because it's cheating. :lol

Link said:
You realize your post basically equates to "Well, I don't like it, so how can everyone else?"

EDIT - Any game that needs a firmware update to play will have it included on the disc.

Yes, which nerfs all of the homebrew I have on it.

So until I get someone to upgrade to 3.77 or what have you, no new games for me.

B-Ri said:
yes, from start to finish with every skull on legendary.

Resistance is the most underappreciated FPS, while without a doubt being Top Tier.

If JRzez had said only that, no one would have 'wow'ed him.

I don't know what's so confusing for you.

Link

The Autumn Wind
AdmiralViscen said:

So until I get someone to upgrade to 3.77 or what have you, no new games for me.
Ah, I gotcha.

tanod

when is my burrito
Code:
                               [U]Weekly Sales Rates:[/U]

[U]September[/U]            [U]October[/U]       [U]Monthly Change[/U]
PS2            43k                46k                +6.97%
PS3            24k                30k               +25.00%  
PSP            57k                72k               +26.32% 
360           106k                92k               -13.21%
Wii           100k               130k               +30.00%  
NDS            99k               115k               +16.16%

PS3 and PSP hardware got a significant bump in September, as did the Wii.

Probably the combination of the new SKUs (40GB, PSP slim) and the PS3 price drop. Sony does have some momentum going into the holidays. The actual numbers are low but they are on an upswing.

Also, it's funny that the 30k number shows up for the PS3 sales rate since 30k is what Sony used in that weird PR release.

Joe Molotov

Weisheit said:

Nintendo's using h4x!

Saitou

Banned
watership said:
That's like the 4th story I've seen in the past day about PS3 sales being incredible. Was this all based on the Sony PR that went out? Is it just spin or has the PS3 just sold fantastic since the last NPD month ended?
Sony moneyhats at work.

tanod said:
Code:
                               [U]Weekly Sales Rates:[/U]

[U]September[/U]            [U]October[/U]       [U]Monthly Change[/U]
PS2            43k                46k                +6.97%
PS3            24k                30k               +25.00%  
PSP            57k                72k               +26.32% 
360           106k                92k               -13.21%
Wii           100k               130k               +30.00%  
NDS            99k               115k               +16.16%

PS3 and PSP hardware got a significant bump in September, as did the Wii.

Probably the combination of the new SKUs (40GB, PSP slim) and the PS3 price drop. Sony does have some momentum going into the holidays. The actual numbers are low but they are on an upswing.

Also, it's funny that the 30k number shows up for the PS3 sales rate since 30k is what Sony used in that weird PR release.

PS3 sales would have to quadruple next month to match GameCube 2002.

I think they'll probably triple (they'd double just by the normal November sales boom)

thefro

Great numbers for everyone except Sony against this month. I expected the bad sales for Ratchet because that game's younger userbase still has PS2s or has 360/Wiis now. The hardcore gamers who have the money to get a PS3 have way too many other choices right now. Uncharted should do a little better. The huge Sony advertising blitz didn't really start until a couple weeks ago so they do have some hope.

I think Wii will go over a million in Nov assuming they have the stock ready, since Black Friday sales will be nuts. Galaxy will be massive. GH 3 will keep trucking.

B-Ri

AdmiralViscen said:

If JRzez had said only that, no one would have 'wow'ed him.

I don't know what's so confusing for you.

i think id mainly disagree with OVERHYPED when he speaks of gears of war (cause i do enjoy it), but its true the media didnt play much part in helping the game be seen.

I checked reviews last night, and gamespot had given it i think an 8.1? or something along those lines.

While PDZ got a 9.1? I think anyone thats played PDZ knows its not a great game, and is NOWHERE near a 9.1. Resistance is an awesome FPS that deserves its chance in the spotlight.

RumFore

Banned
Saitou said:
Quoting in hopes you get banned for it.

There have been more Wii manufactured since launch than ANY CONSOLE EVER.

GET IT THROUGH YOUR BRAIN, MORAN

Banned for what you Moran? I'm stating my opinion. The nerve of some of you.

Saitou

Banned
RumFore said:
You seem to be operating under the false guise that all opinions are equal. This is not true.

Valid opinions are backed up by facts. SOmething which your posts are utterly devoid of.

spwolf

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Under manufacturing the Wii and still sell more then half million in a month. Wow.

p.s. so they sell around 1mil-1.1mil right now around the world. And they are saying that they can manufacture 1.5 million per month for a while now. Whats up with those 0.5 million per month? Saving them for next year? For Easter sales?

RumFore

Banned
Saitou said:
You seem to be operating under the false guise that all opinions are equal. This is not true.

Valid opinions are backed up by facts. SOmething which your posts are utterly devoid of.

Ok give me a sec while I sneak into a Nintendo pant to film you proof.

Grecco

Saitou said:

lol That report is hilarious

Nintendo DS Top Ten

1) Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
2) My Sims
3) Brain Age 2: More Training In Mind
4) Drawn To Life
5) New Super Mario Bros.
6) Pokémon: Diamond Version
7) High School Musical: Making The Naughty Photos
8) Mario Kart
9) Pokémon: Pearl Version
10) Brain Age: Train Your Brain In Minutes

Slavik81

Shamrock said:
I wasn't disappointed in the Wii for what it is as far as inovation and control. I was disapointed in the lack of games, quality of 3rd party games, and lack of any type of good online system to actually play games.
Your expectations of 3rd party support in the system's first year were unrealistic, given the unexpected success of the Wii.

dammitmattt said:
Halo saved the Xbox. Super Mario Bros saved the console business. It can happen.

So you're telling me that launch games establish enough of a userbase to get manufacturers interested in developing for the system?

Good to know.

Wii's top 10 is a piece of shit, I really don't think anyone should be proud of the userbase being cultivated there.

The big gamer-games do sell well, that's great. But there's so much garbage and party shit on there, I never expect third parties to try to replicate a Metroid when they can replicate a Carnival Games.

A few people at my friend's father's workplace have been asking advice on how to buy a Wii for Christmas. 40 year old women who just want Wii Sports for themselves.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
dammitmattt said:
10/24, so it had 10 days worth of sales

R&C had a really cool ad campaign too. I'm not a fan of platformers at all, but I'll be quite disappointed if it doesn't do well. Here's hoping it has legs through the holidays and into 2008. It would actually be a great pack-in too, probably the PS3's best in terms of appealing to a wide audience and showing off the system, but too early for that.

bud

yoopoo said:

Overall Console Top Twenty

1) Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock With Guitar – Xbox 360 – Red Octane
2) Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock With Guitar – Wii – Red Octane
3) Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock With Guitar – Playstation 2 – Red Octane
4) Halo 3 – Xbox 360 - Microsoft
5) Half Life 2: Episode 2 The Orange Box – Xbox 360 - Electronic Arts
6) Play With Remote – Wii – Nintendo of America
7) Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock – Playstation 2 – Red Octane
8) Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock With Guitar – Playstation 3 – Red Octane
9) Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass – Nintendo DS – Nintendo of America
10) Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock – Xbox 360 – Red Octane
11) FIFA Soccer 08 – Xbox 360 – Electronic Arts
12) Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation – Xbox 360 – Namco Bandai Games
13) FIFA Soccer 08 – Playstation 2 – Electronic Arts
14) Madden NFL 08 - Playstation 2 - Electronic Arts
15) Ratchet & Clank: Future Tools of Destruction – Playstation 3 – Sony Computer Entertainment
16) NBA 2K8 - Xbox 360 - 2K Games
17) FIFA Soccer 08 – Playstation 3 – Electronic Arts
18) Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360 - Electronic Arts
19) Mario Party 8 – Wii – Nintendo of America
20) Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of The Lions – Playstation Portable – Square Enix Inc

oh wait these are in $$$ duh.

Redd

Slavik81 said:
Your expectations of 3rd party support in the system's first year were unrealistic, given the unexpected success of the Wii.

Yeah that's the part I dont get. Give it a couple of years ffs before passing judgement on the console.

Vagabundo

RumFore said:

What are you basing this opinion on? I doubt it is insider knowledge or your years working in the manufacturing industry, is it?

Managing the kind of production increase that you talk about is not easy. Nintendo also has to get their suppliers to increase their production, if any of the the 3rd parties cannot then Nintendo cannot increase theirs or has to find an alternate/compatible supplier.

There was a press release that one supplier of nintendos was having trouble supplying enough product. Also you have to make sure you do not over produce and are left with costly facilities to dismantal(financial and PR headache).

Seriously, have a little think about these things.

Jokeropia

spwolf said:
p.s. so they sell around 1mil-1.1mil right now around the world. And they are saying that they can manufacture 1.5 million per month for a while now. Whats up with those 0.5 million per month? Saving them for next year? For Easter sales?
Gee I dunno, maybe the holidays?

Saitou

Banned
spwolf said:
No manufacturer has ever stockpiled for the holidays.

Evver.

Slavik81

AdmiralViscen said:
Wii's top 10 is a piece of shit, I really don't think anyone should be proud of the userbase being cultivated there.
And so it continues. First the problem is that third party games don't sell on Wii. Now the problem is that they do.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Slavik81 said:
And so it continues. First the problem is that third party games don't sell on Wii. Now the problem is that they do.

I haven't gotten in on this "debate" here, but to be fair I always defended the Wii crowd when shitty games sold poorly. I've done the same with the PS3 crowd as well, but it's just not looking good for any PS3 games at the moment.

Top Bottom