• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
FFChris said:
I can honestly see Final Fantasty being a 'savior' game.

The thing is, it might be too late by then.
I think it may be too late now. At the rate the PS3 is moving it'll be a miracle if it ends this generation in a close third.

Sharp

I'm sure Nintendo is stockpiling, but that's probably because (I have no source for this, so it's probably just me pulling it out of my or ioi's ass, but it seems likely) consoles bought during the holidays probably have a higher attach ratio than consoles bought in, say, August. It's clearly not stinting on the shipments. Any other console manufacturer who thought that shipping over 500,000 units in October was deliberate undershipping would be considered ridiculously arrogant, and a year ago such accusations would have seemed kind of crazy, but whatever.

Starchasing said:
Things will change. Wiifit will be launched
Increased hardware sales more than wii fit.

Im predicting at least 2.5M-3M shipped Wiis to NA between Nov and Dec, supported by Ani and Toys R Us anecdotes(increasing by as much as 400% for the latter). Should narrow the gap by a million or 1 1/2.

Remember, Nintendo is at 1.8M each month now. Outside the holidays, they could easilly have 700K consoles for NA each month at the start of 2008. Even if the 360 can sustain 300k by then, the Wii could easily outsell MS by 400k a month.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Which means it wouldn't be "Saving" anything.

No one title is going to "save" a console.

If anything, one title can increase the fortunes of a console short term, but it requires a steady stream of hits YoY to cause any kind of change. And in the videogame industry (which historically follows the "the rich get richer, the poor get poorer") scheme, it would take a miracle for fortunes to change long term.

Halo saved the Xbox. Super Mario Bros saved the console business. It can happen.

Weisheit

RumFore said:
I still think Nintendo is purposely not making enough Wii's. If there was an abundances of them in stores I don't think it would sell as well. Look at the DS and how many they sell but you can still find them in stores. Rubbish.
Do idiots like you realize that the only reason theres a "shortage" is because their selling so much?
In other words if the Wii had a 360 like first year there would be an abundance in stores.

Foil

J-Rzez said:
Word of mouth sales. It was released around the same time of a massively over-hyped game, so it took time for people to realize how great of a game it is. The media is mainly to be blamed for that though. I'm not saying overall sales of software and hardware isn't partly because of Sony, but a part of it is definetly because of the media trying to put a fork into Sony for whatever reason. Resistance is still the measuring stick for how polished and overall quality a FPS game should be offline and online. Especially how the largest name in console FPS can't hold a candle to it. But the name and hype pushed it to the heavens.

Good lord...

Chipopo said:
Those are launch titles. There's a (very obvious) difference

So what if they were at launch. Without Halo, the Xbox would've been DOA. Without Super Mario Bros, the console business would not be what it is today.

dammitmattt said:
So what if they were at launch. Without Halo, the Xbox would've been DOA. Without Super Mario Bros, the console business would not be what it is today.
Yea but if Halo wasn't out at launch, like you just said, the Xbox would have tanked right away it wouldn't have mattered if Halo came out 2 years later. Same with the NES, it would have bombed without SMB. But the situation is different because Playstation is a brand name now, and both those consoles were new to the market.

dr3upmushroom said:
Yea but if Halo wasn't out at launch, like you just said, the Xbox would have tanked right away it wouldn't have mattered if Halo came out 2 years later. Same with the NES, it would have bombed without SMB. But the situation is different because Playstation is a brand name now, and both those consoles were new to the market.

The situation is different now. I was pointing out the power that one title can (and has) had.

PS3 will never be #1. It also shows no signs of matching Xbox 360 sales. A comfortable 3rd is the best case scenario here.

The best it can do is have healthy performances of its software and hardware. By healthy, I mean, developers still want to continue making games for it. If it doesn't, then it is just going to be first party, second party, and shitloads of ports with little exclusive content.

RumFore

Banned
Weisheit said:
Do idiots like you realize that the only reason theres a "shortage" is because their selling so much?
In other words if the Wii had a 360 like first year there would be an abundance in stores.

Do idiots like you realize Nintendo is under-manufacturing these things if the DS sells about the same but you can find plenty of them in stores, which is creating huge I gotta get a Wii, I gotta get a Wii because no one can find one? If you stop jerking off to the Wii numbers for a minute I'm sure you would see that.

Vagabundo

Chipopo said:
It is certainly Gamecubing, but Gamecube was a low-end machine that, I could be wrong here, netted profit throughout its production cycle. I can't even imagine the hit Sony is taking on those beautiful high-end machines after two fucking price-drops. Forget about sales, that's the real disaster, and the fact that they're still mired in quicksand...i said wow.

Sony are mortgaging all their business units on making money on the PS3 (e.g. the floating of their insurance arm). This is such a risky move, but they are in such a bad place at the moment they dont have many options open to them.

They really need to focus on getting market share, pushing out content and praying to whatever Gods they believe in that their Consumer Electronics's continues to do well and the PS2 continues to bring in some much need cash flow.

It will be interesting to see how they look, finanically, nearing the end of this gen of the console cycle. Will they have the capital to push the boundaries again? Will they capitalise on the current level of tech in the PS3 and push some new control scheme/interface.

Will they even wait that long before pushing a PS4, if this gen turns out to be a wash out for them will they push a PS3.5 as a PS4?? These are the burning questions in my mind!!

Zap quote for Sony to consider:
If we can hit that bull's-eye,
the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.
Checkmate!

Jokeropia

AdmiralViscen said:
Excluding launch month, right?

That's about what I figured.
Launch month (November 2001) included, but that wasn't the highest November. Looking at the three Novembers after the launch month (i.e 02-04), it goes from ~350k to ~750k. (GC was on the way down in 2004.) In November 2002, the GC's second November and the one most comparable to November 2007 for PS3, it sold 468k.
RumFore said:
Do idiots like you realize Nintendo is under-manufacturing these things if the DS sells about the same but you can find plenty of them in stores, which is creating huge I gotta get a Wii, I gotta get a Wii because no one can find one? If you stop jerking off to the Wii numbers for a minute I'm sure you would see that.
Hey genius, DS has been out for a longer time and is easier for Nintendo to manufacture huge amounts of than Wii. In fact, Wii production right now is higher than DS production was 1 year after launch.

kinggroin

Banned
borghe said:
missing something :p

I was referring to actual LTD. Not outpacing.. 360 will continue to have the largest userbase in the US for the foreseeable future. Wii will eventually eclipse it WITHIN this generation if it continues to outsell it, but it won't happen anytime in the next few months. It could happen this holiday except that Nintendo likely won't be able to get that many units on shelves to do so.

Understood now :D

titiklabingapat said:
Increased hardware sales more than wii fit.

Im predicting at least 2.5M-3M shipped Wiis to NA between Nov and Dec, supported by Ani and Toys R Us anecdotes(increasing by as much as 400% for the latter). Should narrow the gap by a million or 1 1/2.

Remember, Nintendo is at 1.8M each month now. Outside the holidays, they could easilly have 700K consoles for NA each month at the start of 2008. Even if the 360 can sustain 300k by then, the Wii could easily outsell MS by 400k a month.

When i said wiifit i had in mind the production bump.

I think wiifit will increase wii demand even more, and aproduction bump will help meet that demand.

Borys

Banned
dammitmattt said:
I was with you until the last line. What the fuck, dude?

That's how I roll. Some things and some people just can't be changed.

And yeah, Draft was mocking me in a very... Borysish kind of way.

Vagabundo said:
Sony are mortgaging all their business units on making money on the PS3 (e.g. the floating of their insurance arm). This is such a risky move, but they are in such a bad place at the moment they dont have many moves open to them.

They really need to focus on getting market share, pushing out content and praying to whatever Gods they believe in that their Consumer Electronics's continues to do well and the PS2 continues to bring in some much need cash flow.

It will be interesting to see how they look, finanically, nearing the end of this gen of the console cycle. Will they have the capital to push the boundaries again? Will they capitalise on the current level of tech in the PS3 and push some new control scheme/interface.

Will they even wait that long before pushing a PS4, if this gen turns out to be a wash out for them will they push a PS3.5 as a PS4?? These are the burning questions in my mind!!

I haven't been following Sony like I should, but their consumer electronics division is doing well and will only continue to improve as they have made inroads into Target and Wal-Mart with the Bravia line. Sony Pictures is doing well, also, so it's disingenuous to imply that the fortunes of the company rest solely on the back of the PS3.

Grecco

RumFore said:

Yes they wave the waggle wand and Wii Factories magically appear out of thin air! Thank you for showing us "idiots" the truth.

AniHawk said:
-PSP hardware continues to sell and PSP games continue to stay on the shelves where they are often looked at and rarely purchased.

When you have the opportunity, can you ask to these people why they buy a PSP without buying games too ?
There is the same phenomenon in Japan.

RumFore said:

rumplexa9.jpg

Weisheit

RumFore said:
I guess I could get into a big debate about how your logic is completely fucking ignorant, but why bother for the umpteenth
time.

I'll just save my breath and laugh at your bitter tears. :lol

RumFore said:

DS has taken 3 years to ramp up to these production numbers. Just like every other 3 year old console.

Shamrock

Banned
Weisheit said:

I really can't understand the sell through on the Wii's. Everyone I know including myself has sold the Wii or traded it in for store credit. The only reason I can think of that they are selling so well is the way my group of buddies ended up buying one. That was they came over to my house, we had some Beer's and had a great time playing Wii sports together. Then you realize the console doesn't have much going for it outside it being a party toy. Hence why we all ended up trading it in at some point. The 1st party games were to few and far between and most of the 3rd party stuff sucks or is a basically a Xbox live arcade quality game in which they want 50 dollars for.

I wasn't disappointed in the Wii for what it is as far as inovation and control. I was disapointed in the lack of games, quality of 3rd party games, and lack of any type of good online system to actually play games.

kinggroin said:
Question, you guys think that maybe the kind of folk that buy the Wii (the main target audience) are the kind to wait UNTIL November, December before buying a ton of software?

Maybe these new casuals ignore gaming during the year for the most part, and wait until the end of, before picking up the games for their console. Just a thought.

If this was true, we should expect to see a huge rise in software sales across the board for Wii titles (1st and 3rd party).

Should be interesting.

That's possible. I think that November NPD will tell if you're right or wrong, because of Thanksgiving.
For Christmas, I hope that this will happen in Japan and in particular with Super Mario Galaxy.

tanod

when is my burrito
Haven't seen them posted yet.

Code:
                               [U]Weekly Sales Rates:[/U]

[U]September[/U]            [U]October[/U]       [U]Monthly Change[/U]
PS2            43k                46k                +6.97%
PS3            24k                30k               +25.00%  
PSP            57k                72k               +26.32% 
360           106k                92k               -13.21%
Wii           100k               130k               +30.00%  
NDS            99k               115k               +16.16%

Davidion

RumFore said:

Yes, because the logistics and the manufacturing of a smaller handheld with a successful previous iteration is TOTALLY the same as that of an under-forecasted home console with a last-in-market predecessor.

Of course, that's the exact same reason why they're doing the same thing with the DS. Oh, wait...:lol :lol

RumFore

Banned
I'm sticking with it. Nintendo is under manufacturing the Wii. Sure it would still sell a lot if it was in stores but I think it would level out if there was an abundance of them. And what makes some of you think the Wii is that hard to manufacture?

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Borys said:
Man, is there anything that could save Sony now?

No matter what they do (pricedrop, bundles, AAA exclusive titles), the consumets just give them a cold shoulder.

Pretty sad to see Ratchett reaching average PC games levels of sales.

After Heavenly Sword, Lair, Ratchett etc. it's clear that Uncharted's next.

Halo 3 is a monster, shame that your average US gamer is that stupid.

Post like this should be bannaable. You should not call any person from any country stupid.

Grecco

RumFore said:
I'm sticking with it. Nintendo is under manufacturing the Wii. Sure it would still sell a lot if it was in stores but I think it would level out if there was an abundance of them. And what makes some of you think the Wii is that hard to manufacture?

What makes you think it isnt. Let me guess. Lawl ducktape GCN

Slavik81

RumFore said:
Seriously? The DS has been out for 2 years longer than the Wii.
And it had pretty poor sales at first too.
And there were shortages last winter.

RumFore said:

A basic understading of costs associated with preparing new plants.

Leonsito

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
When you have the opportunity, can you ask to these people why they buy a PSP without buying games too ?
There is the same phenomenon in Japan.

Well, even in GAF there are official threads about custom firmwares... not surprising, is something well accepted in every place now.

Top Bottom