• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2010 [Update 6: Rock Band 3]

duk

Banned
Will kinect be labeled as an accessory like move for next month?

Looking foward to see Kinect games in the top 10.

Sean

Banned
HK-47 said:
God new NPD threads are so much more of a mess.

Yeah I find this new NPD policy so stupid. We eventually get most of the numbers anyway, just over a period of hours/days.

It would be a lot easier for everyone to just give out the top 10 like they used to instead of giving each website one or two sales figures.

FrankT

duk said:

I'm sure it will. Kinect numbers will have to come from MS. Still think we will get the combined Kinect HW number from consoles and stand alone. DC and Kinect Sports may make the list but no bets on that.

user_nat said:
I guess we can start forming a good old fashion top 10 SKUs with this info. Although FU2 is still a big mystery..

1. Fallout NV (360) - 679k
2. Fable III (36) - 580k
3. NBA (360)/Medal of Honor (360)
4. Medal of Honor (360)/NBA (360)
5. NBA (PS3)/Medal of Honor (PS3)/Fallout NV (PS3 - 331k)
6. NBA (PS3)/Medal of Honor (PS3)/Fallout NV (PS3 - 331k)
7. NBA (PS3)/Medal of Honor (PS3)/Fallout NV (PS3 - 331k)
8. Halo Reach (360) - 315k
9. Just Dance 2 (Wii) - 286k
10. Force Unleash 2 (360?? biggest guess..)

Of course the PS3 versions of NBA and Medal of Honor could be lower than Halo Reach/Just Dance, but that would require that the Wii/PC sales to be unusually strong.

Not a bad start.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Drowning the thread in complaints about NPD's policy shift adds nothing to the discussion. Please refrain.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Looking at these numbers and piecing the information together (like what NBA PS3's numbers must look like and the top four SKUs are 360), it would seem MoH is around 880-1,100k.

GhaleonEB

Jtyettis said:
Eh not so inclined to got that far. Halo 3 had incredible legs and so might Reach when it is all said and done. Last Bungie Halo is something to be said and who knows when MS may bring another to the table. Certainly not with Gears 3 next fall. So if folks want their Halo they will go to Reach. COD is also flourishing in part due to multi console status. A 115k or so less than Halo 3 at this point after one month not so sure it's flatline yet.
Well, the debut month sales were flat to Halo 3, despite twice as many 360's sold through in NA. And it came out earlier in the month, and so had more days in the window...and then month 2 comes in below Halo 3. So far at least, it's actually under-performing Halo 3 when it's all said and done. I think at best, Halo maintained its user base while CoD grew its.

Garth: yup, The Chief is Back will do wonders.

I'm quite surprised with Fable III's debut; for some reason I was expecting something more along the lines of Crackdown 2.

FrankT

GhaleonEB said:
Well, the debut month sales were flat to Halo 3, despite twice as many 360's sold through in NA. And it came out earlier in the month, and so had more days in the window...and then month 2 comes in below Halo 3. So far at least, it's actually under-performing Halo 3 when it's all said and done. I think at best, Halo maintained its user base while CoD grew its.

Garth: yup, The Chief is Back will do wonders.

I'm quite surprised with Fable III's debut; for some reason I was expecting something more along the lines of Crackdown 2.

Well it's clearly under-performing at rate of 3.6 million versus 3.7 million, but still not inclined to say flat lined for a good while. We'll see about the legs.

As for Fable III, no surprise really. I knew it would sale. Whether it has decent legs like Fable II well that is another topic entirely.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I can't wait to see what Nintendo does sales wise with the Wii over the holidays since it's close to slipping bellow 200k now.

Fable III sold way more than expected. I guess I under estimate how big that franchise is.

360 keeps killing it. Their world wide numbers might not be great, but they are still killing in the US.

Culex

Banned
Brettison said:
I can't wait to see what Nintendo does sales wise with the Wii over the holidays since it's close to slipping bellow 200k now.

Fable III sold way more than expected. I guess I under estimate how big that franchise is.

360 keeps killing it. Their world wide numbers might not be great, but they are still killing in the US.

Should be interesting. Remember, the Wii sold 3.8 MILLION units last december, which I think shocked everyone. I'm betting around 1.5 this time.

duk said:

I think it'll be difficult for Kinect games to break the multi-platform software top 10 in November.

They've sold 1 million units in the US and Europe combined at this point which is a pretty small userbase compared to the userbases of the other platforms in the US right now, and Kinect already comes with Kinect Adventures which may be enough for some buyers for the moment.

There are also a lot of multiplatform releases in November, and several big titles. Some of October's top 10 will likely be around in the November top 10 too.

If the Kinect userbase really rallies around a specific title, we may see one chart. Kinect Sports perhaps? I wouldn't hold my breath though.

FrankT

All bets are off the table as far as Wii at this point with the SW and HW decline it has had so far, but then again it could crank right back up this holiday. Though I do think Kinect will have some impact on that and no real evergreen to save the day.

GarthVaderUK said:
I think it'll be difficult for Kinect games to break the multi-platform software top 10 in November.

They've sold 1 million units worldwide at this point which is a pretty small userbase compared to the userbases of the other platforms in the US right now, and Kinect already comes with Kinect Adventures which may be enough for some buyers for the moment.

There are also a lot of multiplatform releases in November, and several big titles. Some of October's top 10 will likely be around in the November top 10 too.

If the Kinect userbase really rallies around a specific title, we may see one chart. Kinect Sports perhaps? I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Sports or DC on the low end maybe. Though who knows they could surprise with a full month. This month you got COD, AC2, GT5, NFS and tails on at least few of the games from October.

Bummed about Rock Band 3.

Wow at 360 being the best selling console YTD in its fifth year of life when Xbox 1 was dropped after four years.

dolemite

Culex said:
Should be interesting. Remember, the Wii sold 3.8 MILLION units last december, which I think shocked everyone. I'm betting around 1.5 this time.
That would mean Nintendo will miss their forecast by a few millions.

szaromir

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Well it's clearly under-performing at rate of 3.6 million versus 3.7 million, but still not inclined to say flat lined for a good while. We'll see about the legs.
3% difference isn't significant. There's nothing to worry about for Halo brand, if there is, then entire FPS line-up in the first half of next year (Crysis 2, KZ3, Bulletstorm, Brink etc.) should be labeled as doomed as they have no chance of even coming close to Reach.

It'll be interesting to see if COD already put a dent on Reach sales or if its true effect will be seen only after Blops is released (in November NPD data).

markatisu

Jtyettis said:
All bets are off the table as far as Wii at this point with the SW and HW decline it has had so far, but then again it could crank right back up this holiday. Though I do think Kinect will have some impact on that and no real evergreen to save the day

I am pretty sure NSMB Wii, Mario Kart, Wii Fit are all still selling

Culex

Banned
dolemite said:

They already are missing their forecast from the first quarter. Demand for the Wii has plummeted since the spring. I'd love to see numbers ala 2008 and 2009, but those days are over.

Beer Monkey said:
Bummed about Rock Band 3.

Wow at 360 being the best selling console YTD in its fifth year of life when Xbox 1 was dropped after four years.

I remember a few years back when people used to say "you shouldn't buy a 360 because Microsoft will drop support for it in four years anyway, look at the original Xbox!"

Ahh, memories

duk

Banned
Jtyettis said:
I think it's a good chance we see one for all three next year.

100% chance of that happening through end of 2011, but what I meant was early 2011 if sales continue to decline for PS3/Wii.

FrankT

markatisu said:
I am pretty sure NSMB Wii, Mario Kart, Wii Fit are all still selling

Oh they are selling, but not in this top 10. Will they be back for Nov? Who knows.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is one could make for a pretty argument of Zelda about right now.

szaromir

Banned
soul creator said:
I remember a few years back when people used to say "you shouldn't buy a 360 because Microsoft will drop support for it in four years anyway, look at the original Xbox!"

Ahh, memories
They drop the support 3 years after your purchase, it seems your friends were on the optimistic side.

Beer Monkey said:
Well shit... I just realised that today (if you're in the US anyway) is the 360's fifth birthday.

Time flies.

Edit - Or apparently not. ~ 1 week to go. :lol

markatisu

Jtyettis said:
Oh they are selling, but not in this top 10. Will they be back for Nov? Who knows.

Well most of them would not fit in this Top 10 we have now with combined skus anyway so Dec might be the only month we see that, but that does not mean they are not selling

Top 10 does not equal only good sales, it was not a true expression of total sales when we did get hard numbers and now given our current format only like 4 ips are worthwhile.

Elios83

dolemite said:

With 5m units shipped in the first half of the fiscal year.....reaching 17.5m for the full year with the kind of numbers they're doing (about 200k in US in October...10k weekly in Japan) it will indeed take a Christmas miracle :lol , which is probably what they're hoping for.

duk said:
Maybe we'll see a price drop for Wii early 2011, small chance for PS3 as well.

There's no doubt that next year Wii will be dropped to 150$ and PS3 to 199$. I'd say it could happen around E3 for Nintendo and in the usual early fall period for Sony.
The difference is that while the relatively poor Wii market performance is hurting Nintendo as a company so they need to react quickly, at this point Sony is doing great on worldwide level, they're making profits, they're exceeding their internal targets and still gaining ground on the 360 notwithstanding the 299$ price, so I doubt they're particularly concerned if their performance in the US is not that brilliant.

FrankT

markatisu said:
Well most of them would not fit in this Top 10 we have now with combined skus anyway so Dec might be the only month we see that, but that does not mean they are not selling

Top 10 does not equal only good sales, it was not a true expression of total sales when we did get hard numbers and now given our current format only like 4 ips are worthwhile.

Yet I didn't really say they were not selling. They are selling just not something to save the day either. Then again who knows maybe one of these will prop up the Wii for the holidays.

Psychotext said:
Well shit... I just realised that today (if you're in the US anyway) is the 360's fifth birthday.

Time flies.

22nd to be exact.

FrankT

Psychotext said:
Really? Wikipedia says 16th. Stupid Wikipedia. :(

Which Wiki you reading as I'm reading the same;

The Xbox 360 was released on November 22, 2005, in the United States and Canada; December 2, 2005, in Europe and December 10, 2005, in Japan

I still remember I got real lucky. Wal-Mart canceled my order due to no stock then shipped anyways.

Shipping 15 million units in a fiscal year means a 100 price cut is a billion and a half dollars. I really doubt they can afford that at this point, makes more sense for both them and Microsoft to continue to add value to the consoles instead of dropping prices.

EagleEyes

Elios83 said:
With 5m units shipped in the first half of the fiscal year.....reaching 17.5m for the full year with the kind of numbers they're doing (about 200k in US in October...10k weekly in Japan) it will indeed take a Christmas miracle :lol , which is probably what they're hoping for.

There's no doubt that next year Wii will be dropped to 150$ and PS3 to 199$. I'd say it could happen around E3 for Nintendo and in the usual early fall period for Sony.
The difference is that while the relatively poor Wii market performance is hurting Nintendo as a company so they need to react quickly, at this point Sony is doing great on worldwide level, they're making profits, they're exceeding their internal targets and still gaining ground on the 360 notwithstanding the 299$ price, so I doubt they're particularly concerned if their performance in the US is not that brilliant.
Leave it to good ole Elios83 to bring up worldwide numbers for the PS3 in an NPD thread. If you don't think Sony is concerned about being in dead last place in the biggest market in the world, a market they owned for 2 previous generations, you're crazy.

FrankT

bigtroyjon said:
Shipping 15 million units in a fiscal year means a 100 price cut is a billion and a half dollars. I really doubt they can afford that at this point, makes more sense for both them and Microsoft to continue to add value to the consoles instead of dropping prices.

Yea well with where the Yen is right now I'm sure that doesn't help at all either.

I'd say $250 for PS3 by fall and $150 for Wii, but not sure when.

Elios83

Massa said:
No way, that's close to impossible.

Uh? Reaching a mass market price during their 6th year on the market and after they have been profitable at the old price for more than a year is close impossible?
I'd say it's about time :lol this system has to peak, they need to open to the mass market and make their software sales skyrocket if they want to make serious money on the platform.

EagleEyes said:
Leave it to good ole Elios83 to bring up worldwide numbers for the PS3 in an NPD thread. If you don't think Sony is concerned about being in dead last place in biggest market in the world, a market they owned for 2 previous generations, you're crazy.

They have already lost in the US, there's nothing they can do to change that this generation. They think about their business globally and at this point they're not concerned considering their worldwide performance and the profits they're finally making.

dolemite

Elios83 said:

Sony will probably repackage their Move bundle and sell it for $299. Also this year Sony released a 320G model yet the 160G remained at the same $299 price, doubtful they will drop another 1/3 off their price.

Jtyettis said:
Yea well with where the Yen is right now I'm sure that doesn't help at all either.

I'd say $250 for PS3 by fall and $150 for Wii, but not sure when.

Yuan is pegged to the dollar right?

Yen surges against the dollar, therefore it surges against the Yuan.

They get less money for PS3s sold but they cost less to make.

Elios83

dolemite said:
Sony will probably repackage their Move bundle and sell it for $299. Also this year Sony released a 320G model yet the 160G remained at the same $299 price, doubtful they will drop another 1/3 off their price.

Nothing wrong with dropping the standalone at 199$ and making bundles at 299$ :D :lol it fits the picture.
Really....199$ has to happen and there's no reason not to. It's ridicolous it has not happened yet and with the hardware being profitable since last April it would be foolish not to open to the mass market if they can. They need it, most of the money they did on the PS2 they did it at 199$.
I expect Sony to be really aggressive next year. This year they want to ship 15m units, next year I think they plan to reach a mass market price and the system will see its lifetime peak at around 20m for FY11.
Of course it's just my idea, we'll see what happens :p

Haunted

I usually don't comment on this in the NPD threads, but the first thing that struck me was "goddamn that Top 10 lineup is bad".

Happy for New Vegas, though! RPGOTY for me.

Also, NBA 2K11 clearly benefits from probably one of the biggest fuckups in EA Sports history.

Ceebs

Seeing 100K retail for the PC version of New Vegas (which is probably half of it's total sales) just screams money left on the table for any 3rd party game not getting a PC port.

Wallach

I think it is probably telling how much damage was done with Fallout 3's PS3 port that NV wound up taking the #2 spot on the chart when the 360 version was apparently the top-selling title for the month when viewed from a per-platform basis (i.e. the old NPD standard). They really seem to have scared people off with how badly that version was handled.

Top Bottom