• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

Vroadstar

Gold Member
If the developer has to rely on updates and because of that they ship games with lots of problems, of course is a bad thing.

The problem is online only and offline DC is perfectly playable not like a totally broken mess like some like to spout. I admit though the first few days trying to get online was frustrating now it's much smoother. Can't wait for the weather, photo mode and replay update.

JayEH

Wasn't expecting TEW to sell so well. Good for them. And borderlands sold well too? Damn, thought it being last gen only would kill it.

Glad to see the Evil Within chart at no.3. Despite some noticeable flaws it was definitely one of the better game experiences I've had this year.

I think we will get 250k in Nov and 450k in Dec for Wii U honestly.
Hmm, you expect a decline for December?

I don't know I think that's too conservative considering it has been up since MK8.

In terms of HW impacting events you essentially have SM3DW (only on Wii U) and a $50 price cut, and some bundling from memory in 2013 (as well as some remnants of third party support, which I think helps in terms of perceived obsolescence risk)

This is against residual effect of MK8 and generally more fleshed out software line-up and Smash, but no price cut (and I suppose any negative impact of complete loss of core third party support).

From that I'd guess November is up quite a bit, but December is only up a little (vague metrics I know, but if talesfromyass numbers maybe something like 300K and 500K), with this ending up its peak calendar year.

I'm not surprised Sunset didn't place. I tried doing chaos squad and was unable to find a game. That being said, SUNSET OVERDRIVE IS THE BEST GAME ON THE NEXT GEN CONSOLES. GO BUY IT PEOPLE. IMHO of course.

Zophar

I hope Sunset Overdrive becomes a strong IP and they don't give up on it. It has a lot more identity than many of the games it borrows from, and deserves to have its spot in the field. I wouldn't read too much into four days of sales, because I don't think anyone truly expected it to fly off the shelves.

Same with Driveclub, and I wouldn't be surprised if it "relaunches" as a premium edition or half sequel in 6 months.

Tookay

That Nintendo million sellers list is great and all but it's kind of obvious why they're going with MM3D next. A brand new game, ALBW, was outsold by a remaster of a game from 1998.

Has nothing to do with it.

They've said since OoT3D released (three years ago) that they wanted to do an original handheld Zelda before they did another remake like MM.

And they stuck to that gameplan.

Karatechop250

Neo Member
Ugh, you guys need to shutup. Sunset Overdrive is far from a bomb. A new IP on a console with only a couple million installed base is not going to sell 500k in a couple days.

Insomniac doesn't have the brand power of Naughty Dog or Rockstar or Bungie. It's a harder sell.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune sold 117k in its first month. 117k. And look where that series is now.

Sunset will finish with over a million sales. Seriously if you haven't tried it and are tired of gray and brown shooters and like platformers it will tickle your fancy. I suspect a sequel will be multiplatform with some sort of dlc/ extra content for microsoft since sony sort of told them no with the first game. I see the same sort of deal with Titanfall 2.

Andvary

I am at work so I cant shop this, can someone do this for me?

b6i7iKe.gif

I just noticed the kick XD

Good for Sony, and I'm not sad about Insomniac, to demonstrate their "independence" they go make a exclusive game. SMH

Syrus

Banned
Bye Bye SO, Hello TEW

A shame that Insomniac backed up the wrong console. Would they have chose multiplat or PS4 then they could have easily hit the 1m milestone already like every Sony 1st party game this year (except DriveClub?). I think the PC version is inveitable. All 3rd party exclusives Xbone games will need the PC to recover some of the costs. But hey they have the rights for their IP so this must be good for something I guess.

.....wot?

Bye Bye SO, Hello TEW

A shame that Insomniac backed up the wrong console. Would they have chose multiplat or PS4 then they could have easily hit the 1m milestone already like every Sony 1st party game this year (except DriveClub?). I think the PC version is inveitable. All 3rd party exclusives Xbone games will need the PC to recover some of the costs. But hey they have the rights for their IP so this must be good for something I guess.

Wouldn't it be smart to look up first month numbers for previous Insomniac titles on PS3 before making such a ridiculous statement?

JaggedSac

Tooooo many games man.

I didn't buy evil within, assassins creed, and I'm skipping far cry too. Will make it back around when they price drop.

Lol, I'm just farting with ya. Buy whenever you can, it's great.

Although, even my purchase didn't count for anything on this list since I bought it digitally.

LOLOL @
#
Driveclub. I think if any game de
s
erves to be l
a
ughed at this gen as an unmitigated disaste
r
, it's easily that one. Oh, there are worst games
c
ertainly, but few
a
imed so high and fell as low as #Driveclub. It's like
s
eeing a golden chariot in the sky, then taking a few seconds to realize it's a falling piece of debris from a NASA space rocket that's blown up in a thick blanket of clouds. If #Driveclub were a guy, it'd probably have a poster of Forza in its shower locker, just hoping to one day
m
easure up, above and below. A year delay (probably 'cuz it only started dev after that trailer at that February event was shown, lol), network problems out of the gate that persist to this day, demo copy for PS+ members failing to release as promised, piss-poor 70 Metacritic (Horizon 2's got that perfect 86) ....and to top it all off it doesn't even look that good!

With the torrent of bad news I'm not surprised it didn't chart; at this point it'll probably be a PS+ freebie and a standard bundled game ahead of Knack. Hopefully this convinces Soony™ to give better properties like Wipeout or Motor Toon or Crash Team Racing their due respect. Hashtag Driveclub can skid back to the pit stop with it's broken trans-axle until it's ready to race for real in a couple of years. Hopefully w/ a team owner who isn't (de)Evolution. Lol.

translate this post

Jesus, i hope this is a joke post.

Boy what is your major malfunction :p

Wipeout would bomb. Sony doesn't have the rights to making Crash, Activision does. I have no idea how you entered Motor Toon into the conversation or what these games have to do with Evolution bombing the Driveclub launch.

lol.The spoiler tags guys,it's the spoiler tags...

Syrus

Banned
I hope Sunset Overdrive becomes a strong IP and they don't give up on it. It has a lot more identity than many of the games it borrows from, and deserves to have its spot in the field. I wouldn't read too much into four days of sales, because I don't think anyone truly expected it to fly off the shelves.

Same with Driveclub, and I wouldn't be surprised if it "relaunches" as a premium edition or half sequel in 6 months.

They said they are happy and all the bundles sold out. I think its ridiculous they didn't make more bundles.

I think the game will hit 1-2 mill lifetime. It rank 9th individually and the holidays are coming up so I hope people pick this game up over some others

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
No PR from MS?

That ain't good...

There will be spin next month, one way or another. But as a previous poster pointed out, November/December do not mean as much as people make it out to be. Unless Sony gets trounced, which I don't see happening. Secondly, the post holiday season for MS is not very bright, pending new announcements.

AniHawk

Eh, ymmv, but 37% is more than a little lower imo. If that holds overall for the quarter then it will end up closer to 1M for the quarter.

It's also around Dreamcast 2001 levels I believe, just from eyeballing some graphs.

I think November has growth potential, considering it how low it was last year; although for some reason SM3D world is seemingly completely forgotten when people talk about Y/Y comp. But I think December has more limited potential to increase because the number was (for the Wii U) quite high/good i.e. I don't really expect it to sell 650K right now, although November might give a better picture.

yeah i read 47% as for october.

Sunset will finish with over a million sales. Seriously if you haven't tried it and are tired of gray and brown shooters and like platformers it will tickle your fancy. I suspect a sequel will be multiplatform with some sort of dlc/ extra content for microsoft since sony sort of told them no with the first game. I see the same sort of deal with Titanfall 2.

MS didn't publish Titanfall, though. It isn't the same type of arrangement. MS could have first refusal rights for a sequel so I feel SO2 will still be exclusive Xbox One.

SparkTR

Seems like a pretty lethargic month, I take it we aren't getting many numbers due to the leakers getting pissed off at GAF?

ec0ec0

On the "Nintendo's 3DS million sellers" list that you quoted in the OP...

6. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: 1.41 million
7. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon: 1.36 million
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf: 1.42 million

look at the sales numbers. It appears in that order two times in the OP

i guess that it should be:

6. Animal Crossing: New Leaf: 1.42 million
7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: 1.41 million
8. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon: 1.36 million

no!?

QaaQer

i honestly can't see someone making that decision just to get a few extra sales. sony has had their share of bombas in the past that they are not going to risk all the bad publicity when ps4 is doing well.

It makes no sense. All they are doing is trying to serve those who paid the $50 first. You don't open up a game to others until your paying customers are happy.

Top Bottom