• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

Xbox does have a lot of things going for it in US that PS3 did not have (in US).
I'll list a few reasons on why it could eventually come back in US...

-Price
(x1 is now selling at a cheaper price, and MS will likely try to keep it lower than the PS4 for most of the generation since they can't compete with price pairity. I am fairly sure that the PS3 was always more expensive than the 360, and that was a big deal as to why it never did too hot in the US.)

-Shooters
(Xbox brand has always been associated with shooters, which us Americans love. Weather it is timed Cod content, Halo, Gears, or Crackdown, Xbox will always have great shooters, and over time I think that will start to make a difference in the US. Playstation has tried to make great shooters like Killzone, but in reality they just can't compete. I think Destiny is the best thing they have going for them in that space right now.)

-360 owners
(there are still a lot of 360 owners in the US that have not upgraded. I have quite a few friends like this, a lot of who are waiting for Halo 5 to make the jump. I think that as prices continue to go down, we will start to see a lot of them make the jump starting next year, and all the way into 2016 when the console's sales peak is expected.)
(most consoles hit peak sales after about 2-3 years on the market.)

Seems like Deja Vu.

For the last point, about 50% of PS4 owners are coming from the 360/Wii crowd. So by that logic, the PS3 folks haven't upgraded either.

The rest of the post is largely speculation--the shooters sold the most on the 360 because of a 15M unit lead in the states. Not true elsewhere. And Price is dependent on perception, and the mass market perception is that the PS4 is the one to own.

1 month of sales doesn't change that, nor erase a 1M+ unit lead.

StevieP

Banned
Guys, despite whoever ends up winning November, can we just take a minute to stop and marvel at how one AAA production from Naughty Dog is being paired with another AAA production from Rockstar, which are then in turn being paired with AAA hardware that has set a new standard in ease of development for indie developers and major studios alike?

Let us bow our heads in silent appreciation.

This post was brought to you by
corporate-shills-logo.gif

Share a Shill this year!

Seems like Deja Vu.

For the last point, about 50% of PS4 owners are coming from the 360/Wii crowd. So by that logic, the PS3 folks haven't upgraded either.

Where did this number come from?

Where did this number come from?

Here is where most of that came from

Sony claims that nearly a third of people who own a PlayStation 4 did not own a PS3, but rather, came from owning an Xbox 360 or a Nintendo Wii.

PlayStation VP of marketing John Koller told Kotaku that, according to a research study carried out recently, 31 percent of PS4 owners are new to the PlayStation brand.

And he claims that 17 percent of people who own a PlayStation 4 did not own a console last generation. In other words, nearly half of all PS4 owners did not own a PlayStation 3.

So 31% are converts, 17% are new and 52% were previous PS3 owners.

( I for one only had a 360 last gen and now have a PS4)

I really want to know how many PS4 were Destiny bundle... % or ratio is fine ;)

Definitely less than last month. Last month PS4 bundles were a really significant part of the PS4's overall sales (like, the majority).

This month? Meh.

They're still selling, don't get me wrong...

Is Microsoft still paying the price for trying to implement a system where games were tied to their console and couldn't be sold at re-sale shops? They ended up scrapping it before the console released, but the negative press they received may have done everlasting damage to the XBox One

Is Microsoft still paying the price for trying to implement a system where games were tied to their console and couldn't be sold at re-sale shops? They ended up scrapping it before the console released, but the negative press they received may have done everlasting damage to the XBox One

Addressing peoples concerns only after your sales are impacted doesn't exactly instill confidence.

They knew how people felt about DRM before E3 but they plowed ahead anyway. They lost me as a customer at that point.

The fact that the PS4 was more powerful just made the transition easier. So yes they are still paying the price but now it is more because of the hardware performance .

I think more people could have forgiven them for that if it wasn't for the continual deceptive statements in press releases, tweets, and interviews over the past year. A simple "We're sorry. We misunderstood what our fans wanted" and then focusing on the games would have served them so much better.

Interesting that no one at all is talking about Just Dance 2015. Maybe that speaks to Just Dance's growing irrelevance in the market.

The game launched this month and suffered yet another notable YOY decline (to be clear, Just Dance 2015 on PS4 / XB1 / 360 / PS3 / WIU / WII suffered a clear decline from Just Dance 2014 for 360 / PS3 / WIU / Wii which suffered a major decline from Just Dance 4 for 360 / PS3 / Wii)

I'm wondering if it's starting to signal the end for the Just Dance franchise now that the Wii fad is dead. I know development costs aren't very high at all, but music royalty costs have got to be pricy, shouldn't they?

If someone posted a picture and some figures earlier and edited them out later, would it be bad to re-post them? I don't want to step on toes, but I also happen to have a dessert-themed chart that I don't have the expertise to figure out.

Interesting that no one at all is talking about Just Dance 2015.

Someone brought it up a while ago, but the discussion wasn't too interesting since all that we knew was that it wasn't in the Top Ten. Thanks for the further info. November might be the best indicator of where the game stands since I think it tends to sell better in that month (based on Top Ten rankings from previous years of Nov compared to Oct).

I'm wondering if it's starting to signal the end for the Just Dance franchise now that the Wii fad is dead. I know development costs aren't very high at all, but music royalty costs have got to be pricy, shouldn't they?

Got a nephew that would go bonkers if that happened, he loves the games. But he said the track list was "weaker" this year.

Doesn't matter. News sites reported it in a way that made it seem like it was already there, and the important thing is it WAS there at some point.

The system definitely still has an image problem but it's nowhere near as bad as May/June last year.

small44

Can we now how vita tv did this month,it's not necessarily for me to have numbers knowing if it a fail or not is enough

ethomaz

Banned
Definitely less than last month. Last month PS4 bundles were a really significant part of the PS4's overall sales (like, the majority).

This month? Meh.

They're still selling, don't get me wrong...
This is really good... I was surprised the 360 and XB1 version were selling more than PS4 version but I remembered the PS4 bundle so maybe the things are different.

I love this game and I want it to be successful to receive more Raids and expansions.

Thanks ;)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So, blue is 41%, orange is 17%, grey 25%, and yellow 17% & the games are bayo2, driveclub, sunset, & super smash? I'm guessing smash>sunset>B2=DC.

Good on the percentages. 3 of 4 titles are correct. All but one were mapped incorrectly though. To be more clear, these are exclusives that released this October NPD period (starting 10/5-6 iirc). Don't read into the colors themselves, they're just the default Excel ones.

allan-bh

Don't forget what happened with the PS3. Xbox beating Sony in the US is not a lot cause yet. All we know is that it won't be happening anytime soon other than maybe a month or two.

In the long run though, they still can make a turn around, but they will need to be making all the right moves.

WW is obviously a lost cause thanks to Europe and Japan, though if they actually started giving a crap they could at least increase the X1's performance there....

The problem is that they need to build up a a good relationship with their customers there based on trust, and actions of goodwill, but some of the US only things they have been doing lately shows that this will probably never happen.

I really don't see how Xbox One can be the winner in USA. Price cuts and bundles are weapons available for PS4 too. Unlike PS3, is much more easy for Sony scale down the price now.

In terms of games, hardly going to be a great advantage in favour of XBOne, so in the end PS4 will prevail. Is a natural trend at this point.

Can we now how vita tv did this month,it's not necessarily for me to have numbers knowing if it a fail or not is enough

I don't have the numbers but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it failed, given that Amazon has resorted to discounting them 20% in just a few weeks.

Ty4on

I don't have the numbers but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it failed, given that Amazon has resorted to discounting them 20% in just a few weeks.
What is failing? 40k? Those are great Vita numbers! :p

It sounds really bad though considering we've heard Vita sales were bad. If Vita TV sold > 10k in the opening month...

Kill3r7

Good on the percentages. 3 of 4 titles are correct. All but one were mapped incorrectly though. To be more clear, these are exclusives that released this October NPD period (starting 10/5-6 iirc). Don't read into the colors themselves, they're just the default Excel ones.

I'm assuming SO>Bayo2>DC=Mystery Game. Is the mystery game either Project Spark or Fantasia?

small44

What is failing? 40k? Those are great Vita numbers! :p

It sounds really bad though considering we've heard Vita sales were bad. If Vita TV sold > 10k in the opening month...

40k is a mega fail especially when it does 70k first week in Japan

GamerJM

Banned
Dah, I missed the numbers. Oh well, the moderation team's explanation is fair, I'm sure it'll all work out. Welcome back Aqua!

Also PS4/Xbox One both did lower than I expected.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well 3DS did spectacularly last October, so >150K total for 3DS+Vita+TV? (450+Vita)/3?

Not either of those 2. Unique platforms for each title.

Oh, now I know! It's Fantasy Life!

Also, this means that Total handhelds for October 2014 is 171,700.

Given how the total in the prediction is just off 2%, I suppose 3DS isn't that far from 140,000 units sold.

EDIT: Total from the prediction is 801,000. Being 2% off means means 784,980, isn't it?
I was much further off on XBO, than the month's third place so I would assume my 131k prediction is closer to the mark in order to make up for that.

Blizzard itself has had a surprisingly strong renaissance lately. Not only did they gain 2.5 million subscribers to World of Warcraft with an eye on new annual expansion packs, they sold over 20 million copies of Diablo 3, and are now managing several frequently updated free 2 play games, the first one which to release is major success.

Their output in general is up tremendously compared to where it was even only a few years ago.

The one note of concern for them though is that I agree, if CoD can't stabilize long term and Destiny can't experience major growth, what is their next plan to keep growing? Does it all fall on Blizzard? Every studio working under the Activision label right now is working on CoD, Destiny, Skylanders, or extremely low effort licensed games. There's no obvious group out there trying to cook up Activision's next big hit.
Yeah, that was what I was wondering. Does the company perhaps have anything gestating in the pipeline that they've yet to unveil?

On the Blizzard side I'm curious to see how Overwatch is received commercially, as their first new major IP for a long time.

What I wish would happen would be an OUYA/Nvidia Shield war. Where's the intense interest on which of these platforms is better performing.

All of you with your PS4 vs Xbox this... Vita vs Wii U that... y'all are really missing out on the battle of the century...

Anybody care about the NBA 2K15 vs. NBA Live 15 sales battle? Because that sales war is incredibly amusing if anyone wants to know more.

Mpl90

Anybody care about the NBA 2K15 vs. NBA Live 15 sales battle? Because that sales war is incredibly amusing if anyone wants to know more.

Throwing a completely random guess: NBA 2K15 = 8-10x NBA Live 15?

e-gamer

Seems like Deja Vu.

The rest of the post is largely speculation--the shooters sold the most on the 360 because of a 15M unit lead in the states. Not true elsewhere. And Price is dependent on perception, and the mass market perception is that the PS4 is the one to own.

1 month of sales doesn't change that, nor erase a 1M+ unit lead.

30% are coming from The wii/360 crowd. And there's no way to know how much for each one of them.

small44

What I wish would happen would be an OUYA/Nvidia Shield war. Where's the intense interest on which of these platforms is better performing.

All of you with your PS4 vs Xbox this... Vita vs Wii U that... y'all are really missing out on the battle of the century...

There is no interest in which of those micro-console fail the most

Throwing a completely random guess: NBA 2K15 = 8-10x NBA Live 15?

Oh WAY more than that.

NBA 2K15 sold more than 1 million copies this month and is up +17% YOY.

NBA Live 15 barely sold any copies. It was so pathetically, hilariously low this month that I burst out laughing when I saw it.

People legitimately care that NBA Live 15 is a horrible game...because NOBODY bought it.

It's one of the more amusing sales failures this month considering the sheer amount of people who bought NBA 2K15.

Fantasia: Music Evolved was pretty funny as well.

ascii42

The true battle is between those random PS2 games I still see at Walmart. Ski and Shoot vs Suzuki TT Superbikes. Can they take down the mighty GTA Trilogy pack?

Mpl90

Oh WAY more than that.

NBA 2K15 sold more than 1 million copies this month and is up +17% YOY.

NBA Live 15 barely sold any copies. It was so pathetically, hilariously low this month that I burst out laughing when I saw it.

People legitimately care that NBA Live 15 is a horrible game...because NOBODY bought it.

It's one of the more amusing sales failures this month considering the sheer amount of people who bought NBA 2K15.

Fantasia: Music Evolved was pretty funny as well.

So, NBA 2K15 = 80-100x NBA Live 15 is more correct?

Top Bottom