• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

small44

Oh WAY more than that.

NBA 2K15 sold more than 1 million copies this month and is up +17% YOY.

NBA Live 15 barely sold any copies. It was so pathetically, hilariously low this month that I burst out laughing when I saw it.

People legitimately care that NBA Live 15 is a horrible game...because NOBODY bought it.

It's one of the more amusing sales failures this month considering the sheer amount of people who bought NBA 2K15.

Fantasia: Music Evolved was pretty funny as well.

This is jut like Fifa and Pes

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Now you're more in the ballpark. NBA 2K15 = 10x NBA Live 15 was way too optimistic for NBA Live 15.

...I get why you starting laughing out loud reading this.
Because I'm quite tempted to do the same :lol

There is no interest in which of those micro-console fail the most

I think I just got served, ice cold.

Anyways... over the last 6 months Red Microconsole has made a pretty sweet comeback against Blue Microconsole:

Edit: small44 was right... no one wants to talk about the microconsoles. Sadness.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Aqua, just to give us a decent ballpark. 3DS is lower than last month, you said. But we also basically know the total amount of consoles sold, which is near to what predicted by another user in the Prediction thread. So, saying 3DS is between 130,000 and...138,000 (lower than 140,000) is making a good guess?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Makes me super sad not to see Alien Isolation on there.

You are all assholes. All of you.*

Aside from the people who bought it.*

Seems like Deja Vu.

For the last point, about 50% of PS4 owners are coming from the 360/Wii crowd. So by that logic, the PS3 folks haven't upgraded either.

The rest of the post is largely speculation--the shooters sold the most on the 360 because of a 15M unit lead in the states. Not true elsewhere. And Price is dependent on perception, and the mass market perception is that the PS4 is the one to own.

1 month of sales doesn't change that, nor erase a 1M+ unit lead.
I mean that Xbox has a lot more High profile shooters that are exclusive to Xbox like Halo, Gears, Crackdown, and most recently Titanfall. The Cod timed exclusive are just icing on the top.
I was not talking about 360 having most of the sales for FPS games, though it did indeed have that too.

I really don't see how Xbox One can be the winner in USA. Price cuts and bundles are weapons available for PS4 too. Unlike PS3, is much more easy for Sony scale down the price now.

In terms of games, hardly going to be a great advantage in favour of XBOne, so in the end PS4 will prevail. Is a natural trend at this point.
Well that is my opinion and yours. I think that X1 will come back towards the end like the PS3 did (though in US, only....maybe UK too).

I expect the PS4 to outsell the X1 handily next year Jan.-September.
It just makes sense as the X1 doesn't really have anything big software wise until the holiday, meanwhile PS4 has 2 very high profile games that will both do well.
I think X1 can start really gaining momentum at the end of next year with big games like

Halo5
Quantum Break
Tomb Raider
Fable Legends
Forza 6
??????? - (mystery game Shinobi & others keep teasing about for next Holiday)

And then going into 2016...

Scalebound
Phantom Dust
Crackdown
Gears 4 (probably holiday)

And we know that Microsoft game studios has a lot of thoes unanounced studios working on stuff, as well as the new possibilities with Mojang & a Minecraft sequel.

At the end of the generation, I still expect X1&PS4 to be battling it out...I am not trying to say X1 will ever dominate or anything, I think it will be neck and neck the entire way.

Anyways, like I said, my opinion and yours, but I hope you can at least see my reasoning for thinking it could happen.

Not sure why that is seen as funny? Low sales would be heartbreaking for developers etc.

I know a lot of developers personally. Obviously it's not funny when you consider the implications. Like, EA may end up cancelling future iterations of NBA Live and Harmonix may be in trouble for Fantasia: Music Evolved...fewer projects and out-of-work developers are never a good thing.

I'm talking about from a sales standpoint...it's hilarious opening up a report and seeing a super-low number when its competitor is the #1 seller for the month with millions of sales.

I know a lot of developers personally. Obviously it's not funny when you consider the implications. Like, EA may just end up cancelling future iterations of NBA Live and Harmonix may be in trouble for Fantasia: Music Evolved...fewer projects are never a good thing.

I'm talking about from a sales standpoint...it's hilarious opening up a report and seeing a super-low number when its competitor is the #1 seller for the month with millions of sales.

I feel for that poor woman who was stuck making all those demo videos. I have the game, and one day I will take it out of the shrinkwrap and play it, but it has to be soooooo depressing to be her. All that time spent playing the game, all that time spent shooting videos, and I imagine she helped develop or was a producer on the game. All that time, effort and energy. Sure, it beats digging ditches as a job, but it's really gotta be a punch to the gut when results come in like that.

joecanada

Now you're more in the ballpark. NBA 2K15 = 10x NBA Live 15 was way too optimistic for NBA Live 15.

Aqua back in a NPD thread? Does this mean we get a real November NPD thread?? one can only hope...
.(whoever startles her and scares her off gets a punch in the face)

I thought NBA Live did terribly last year as well. I kind of wonder why EA even bothered with another go around.

Also with Fantasia, if I remember correctly they were a bit stunned by the Kinect unbundling. While it's probably helped other games in terms of growing the new userbase faster, it must have hit them pretty hard that only a subset of one system even has the functionality to play the game. (That's one stat I'd be curious about, XBO ASP and/or Kinect/Kinectless splits)

I mean that Xbox has a lot more High profile shooters that are exclusive to Xbox like Halo, Gears, Crackdown, and most recently Titanfall. The Cod timed exclusive are just icing on the top.
I was not talking about 360 having most of the sales for FPS games, though it did indeed have that too

The only titles you named that really drive sales are CoD (multi platform) and Halo/Gears. Everything else is the icing. Crackdown isn't a high profile anything and Titanfall is a great game, not a sales savior. So no, there aren't as many as you think.

The rest of your post basically ignores the actual
Sales curve and why the PS3 was able to come back--none of those factors are in MS' favor. It won't vanish and will be a solid second, but that's about all it can aim for based on historical data.

I kind of wonder why EA even bothered with another go around.

NBA Live 10 sold 141K opening month way back in October 2009 (aka. before EA cancelled the series).

So maybe they thought there was enough historic precedent that they could rev the IP back up.

That clearly didn't happen, of course.

Motion control and Kinetic type games seem to be dead. Just Dance and Fantasia doing so poorly seem to indicate that fad is soon to be on its way out and probably never to return.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Oh, now I know! It's Fantasy Life!

Also, this means that Total handhelds for October 2014 is 171,700.

Ding ding ding! Anyways, B2 sales are known (slightly more specific 68K), so you should be able to figure out the rest =).

@Aqua - You seemed to imply Fantasy Life did a lot worse than it did. It's not great by any means, but it's not too surprising to see a game like that overshadowed by Smash 3DS and I guess even Bayo 2 releasing the same day. So did PW v AA really not even sell 25% of NBA Live 15 for example?

Aqua is back? Great! Which post do I quote?
Quoting/E-mail tags are no longer a thing. Mods didn't like it, so all data hidden in e-mail tags were removed by their respective owners. If they are any #s, it'll be out in the open now from everyone.

Also I don't think I ever said it so welcome back Aqua!

Ding ding ding! Anyways, B2 sales are known (slightly more specific 68K), so you should be able to figure out the rest =).

@Aqua - You seemed to imply Fantasy Life did a lot worse than it did. It's not great by any means, but it's not too surprising to see a game like that overshadowed by Smash 3DS and I guess even Bayo 2 releasing the same day.

I had much higher expectations for it. Worse is relative, I guess.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

I am saddened to hear that. I really enjoyed Fantasy Life. Great Level-5 title.

Still hoping Nintendo brings Yokai Watch, or maybe Bandai Namco has the franchise?!

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Then again would you consider the 3DS market healthy if you have one game selling well (Smash 3DS) and 2nd place game a bit under a 10th of that? Or am I wrong in assuming it was the 2nd best selling game on 3DS this month?

CLEEK

Not sure why that is seen as funny? Low sales would be heartbreaking for developers etc.

As a FreQuency fan, I've always had a soft spot for Harmonix, even though I was never caught up in the Guitar Hero/Rock Band craze.

But I don't feel much sympathy for a developer who pushes out Kinect shovelware and finds it doesn't sell. The Kinect honeymoon period ended years ago, with even MS dropping it. It was a folly to make a game based around it and it would be insane for them to think it would have been a big success story.

Usobuko

Banned
Then again would you consider the 3DS market healthy if you have one game selling well (Smash 3DS) and 2nd place game somewhat over a 10th of that? Or am I wrong in assuming it was the 2nd best selling game on 3DS this month?

That's taking into account of Smash doing 495k this month? Over 50k ish is usually good sale for JPN games.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
That's taking into account of Smash doing 495k this month? Over 50k ish is usually good sale for JPN games.

Whoops I had the #s a bit off (485K), so it's a bit under 10%, but w/e. Is it really? I just have no idea how these kinds of games sell. Bravely did very well, but I don't really have other data points to compare it to.

ascii42

As a FreQuency fan, I've always had a soft spot for Harmonix, even though I was never caught up in the Guitar Hero/Rock Band craze.

But I don't feel much sympathy for a developer who pushes out Kinect shovelware and finds it doesn't sell. The Kinect honeymoon period ended years ago, with even MS dropping it. It was a folly to make a game based around it and it would be insane for them to think it would have been a big success story.

What makes it shovelware? I thought it reviewed fairly well. Or is all Kinect software shovelware by default?

Game Guru

Sounds like we're soon to be down to 1 entry for each sport. Not the best situation.

What's even sadder is that Major League Baseball is essentially Sony exclusive now, which means fans of MLB have to get a PlayStation console if they want the video game.

Whoops I had the #s a bit off (485K), so it's a bit under 10%, but w/e. Is it really? I just have no idea how these kinds of games sell. Bravely did very well, but I don't really have other data points to compare it to.

First month sales for Level 5 new IPs:

Professor Layton (February 2008) - 91K

White Knight Chronicles (February 2010) - 89K

Ni No Kuni (February 2013) - 112K

You can clearly see why I expected more out of Fantasy Life, given that we're talking about Level 5 here + they released an Animal Crossing-esque game.

Ursiform

Banned
Guys, despite whoever ends up winning November, can we just take a minute to stop and marvel at how one AAA production from Naughty Dog is being paired with another AAA production from Rockstar, which are then in turn being paired with AAA hardware that has set a new standard in ease of development for indie developers and major studios alike?

Let us bow our heads in silent appreciation.

MXRYYt5.jpg

So many A's, can't appreciate silently.

Ty4on

I just woke up and it's night here. I can't guarantee it bring accurate, but I got 3DS at 138k.

Was that the reason for it? I still don't get results that make sense :(

Well considering I haven't seen an ad for the vita let alone the vita tv in months. Does anyone outside of gaming forums even know it exists?

It's almost like SCEA wants the Vita to die off just so they can focus 100% of their energies on the successful PS4 and not have to worry about resource allocation. :p

Xenus

It's almost like SCEA wants the Vita to die off just so they can focus 100% of their energies on the successful PS4 and not have to worry about resource allocation. :p

Lol I saw few ads for Xperia remote play this week. Which is probably more then they did for the ps vita in the last 2 years. I love my vita but outside of japanese games and indies it's dead jim.

Lol I saw few ads for Xperia remote play this week. Which is probably more then they did for the ps vita in the last 2 years. I love my vita but outside of japanese games and indies it's dead jim.

I saw those exact same ads for Xperia too, haha.

I haven't seen a Vita ad in years (or anybody using a Vita for that matter, and I live in Manhattan, NYC).

For reference: I've seen a fair share of 3DS's these past few years, a ton of mobile phones every single day, and back in the day I saw a lot of DS / PSP consoles.

small44

Well considering I haven't seen an ad for the vita let alone the vita tv in months. Does anyone outside of gaming forums even know it exists?

i don't watch tv so i don't know but in Japan ps tv sold 70k first week and in usa it can't even sell half of that in a whole month

CLEEK

What makes it shovelware? I thought it reviewed fairly well. Or is all Kinect software shovelware by default?

Shovelware might be too harsh a term. Yet very few major outlets reviewed this game. If you look at Metacritic for it, there's only IGN, Polygon and USgamer in a sea of niche gaming sites. It seemed to review OK for a Kinect game, but that can be a backhanded complement.

Didn't the sales of the Dance Central series plummet? The shift away from Kinect was in full swing when they started on Fantasia, and MS dropping Kinect was patently obvious to happen from the moment the XB1 trailed behind the PS4.

A Kinect music game (not even a dance game) was always going to have an incredibly limited audience, even before MS abandoned Kinect.

Xenus

I saw those exact same ads for Xperia too, haha.

I haven't seen a Vita ad in years (or anybody using a Vita for that matter, and I live in Manhattan, NYC).

For reference: I've seen a fair share of 3DS's these past few years, a ton of mobile phones every single day, and back in the day I saw a lot of DS / PSP consoles.

I live in smalltown ohio. I don't think I've ever had anyone near me on near. I saw some ads around launch of PS4 for remote play. But really the assasin's creed\cod push a few years back was the only real ad push of the device in the USA,

You do not know what the term shovelware means.

Fantasia is a well made game that was developed over a quite long period of time, with an obviously good budget, that plays well and is getting strong praise in the OT.

Pretty insulting to call it shovelware. They really tried to make a great game.

Edit: So wait, a game has to get outlets to review it for it to not be shovelware? Wtf?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
First month sales for Level 5 new IPs:

Professor Layton (February 2008) - 91K

White Knight Chronicles (February 2010) - 89K

Ni No Kuni (February 2013) - 112K

You can clearly see why I expected more out of Fantasy Life, given that we're talking about Level 5 here + they released an Animal Crossing-esque game.

Hm, makes sense. For those titles, I assume Level 5 did their own publishing though right? Or was Nintendo/Sony behind the titles?

Top Bottom