• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

AdmiralViscen said:
Why are people acting like MP3 did poorly? It's outperforming MP1, which was the first new Metroid game in like 8 years, had totally fresh gameplay, and launched in November instead of September.

Unless MP1 did better than I'm thinking in December, which could simply be chalked up to it being December.

MP3 is exceeding my expectations (or fears?)

Really ? I thought that Metroid Prime sold in USA alone more then 1.3 millions and 500k in its first month....

Innotech

Banned
pswii60 said:
Mario Galaxy will sell in epic quantities. Epic quantities.

But Mario Party is 1m+ LTD good?
actually, yes. It deserves the sales it gets because as a party game, it is one of the best and definitely one of the most fun. It sells to a wide demographic. Having played it with my roommate many itmes already I can tell you the board layouts are pretty good on this one.
I enjoy it.

gcfan2k5

Kodiak said:
also surprised no one is talking about NDS doing .5 mil, isn't that pretty huge?

Nobody is talking about DS doing half a million because they are too busy being surprised by how low PS3 sales are, and surprised that wii sales increased with no releases and in the face of the biggest game 360 will ever have, ever. If nintendo has the supply, and they most certainly do, nothing will stop them this holiday in the US, or worldwide.

Beerbelly said:
What IS the PS3 userbase buying? 139,000 for Heavenly Sword (about 4 weeks of sales) is pathetic. It'd be lucky to hit 400,000 LTD.

A lot of them bought Halo 3, obviously. Some bought Halo 3 and a 360 to play it on.

This ain't rocket science folks...

PS3 early adopters at $599 and $499 are, for the most part, hardcores. A lot of hardcore gamers (like me) aren't system bots who have some farcical loyalty to only one system, forsaking all others and other system's blockbuster signature titles. They want to play the big game. For a lot of PS3 gamers, the time to finally get a 360 or buy a new 360 game was when Halo 3 came out.

Again, this ain't a shocker...

Why was it that for months we have been talking about games launching during the Halo NPD and labeling them as "sent to die" or suggesting that games get pushed back to avoid the Halo splashdown, and now, suddenly, everyone is acting shocked that Heavenly Sword's sales were low in the same NPD when people were planning on spending between $60 and $120 on Halo 3, or even picking up a 360? Did everyone get amnesia all at once?

Hey, I bought Heavenly Sword and Halo 3 on day one. You expect to buy a bunch of games at holiday season, but that kinda hurt the pocketbook in Sept. A lot of people couldn't buy both and had to make a choice this month, I'm sure, especially if they had to also make a hardware purchase to play Halo 3.

I'm actually kinda shocked that Heavenly Sword did as well as it did when this month was clearly all about Halo 3.

I'm not so surprised about Wii's success, as people who bought it have been waiting, and they are clearly not the same kind of consumer, as evidenced by the Metroid sales. Clearly, people are buying that system for Wii Sports, ect.

I look at the fact that Metroid only sold 28K more than Heavenly Sword, with Nintendo selling 4x more hardware than PS3, and that tells you all you need to know about what type of person is buying the Wii, and what kind of games/experiences the Wii consumer wants.

Frillen

Lefty42o said:
for having an opinion on the trend in wii software sells.

all i can say is wow

if i am wrong i am wrong. but begging for a ban over it seems more like 1984 than a open forum.

Trend? MP3 is on track to sell more than MP2. Mario Party 8 has sold more than any of the Gamecube iterations. Twilight Princess has already sold more than what Wind Waker did. Super Paper Mario has already sold more than what Paper Mario 2 TTYD did. Wario Ware Wii has sold WAY more than what the Gamecube version did.

I'm not sure what you're smoking but is must be some pretty hard stuff.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mrbob said:
BTW PS3 owners should be happy by this strong 360 performance.

MS just officially saved next gen from the onus of waggle.

Better hardware sales, better software sales. 3rd parties won't be jumping ship to wii anytime soon. The side effect is there is always a PS3 port for 3rd party titles, so the PS3 benefits even though it is getting beat down.

So Microsoft's 1st party juggernaut proves to 3rd parties that they shouldn't move to the Wii?

Kolgar

Y2Kev said:
That's the point. I need the number. I want to make it my next meme.

I bought Lair last week and actually like it quite a lot. It's one of those "flawed gem" games, I guess, but it helps that I have no problem with the controls.

On topic, travesty about Heavenly Sword sales. Beautiful, gorgeous game; in some ways a landmark title in interactive entertainment, but too short. Still, it belongs in every PS3 owner's collection. (You paid $500-600 for a console, you can afford a great $60 game even if it does only last five hours.)

What the hell are PS3 owners DOING? Playing PS2 games? No WONDER they're taking out the BC! :lol

edit: sorry, Kev, I misread your statement as, "I want to make it my next game." :p

Hunter D

Absinthe said:
Don't be daft. A lot of those copies were sold based off of hype alone. The game certainly didn't sell that many copies because it was huge step up from Halo 2.
Has it ever crossed your mind that H3 is considered to be a great franchise and has a fanbase that is similar to what nintendo has with mario?

MisterHero

Woo go Wii!

Woo Congratulations go Bungie!!!

Halo3isFabulous.jpg

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Mrbob said:

Better hardware sales, better software sales. 3rd parties won't be jumping ship to wii anytime soon. The side effect is there is always a PS3 port for 3rd party titles, so the PS3 benefits even though it is getting beat down.

MS saved next gen from waggle. Wait a minute!! I thought that wii wasn't considered "next gen."

Mrbob said:

When you have $30M bombs, it's not so rosy after all.

Absinthe said:
Don't be daft. A lot of those copies were sold based off of hype alone. The game certainly didn't sell that many copies because it was huge step up from Halo 2.

But it is a huge step up from Halo 2.

Lefty42o said:
if i am wrong i am wrong.

i don't think you're right; imo galaxy will sell more than prime, but everyone here is going to be surprised when there is a drop off in sales shortly after release while titles like wii play will continue to soldier on.

GhaleonEB

DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm sorry, but how do the 360 sales express this either way? Is there something i'm missing? Yes, Halo 3 was only on sale for 11 days, but 250k systems on 3.3 million sales seems a little bit more than disparate to me. Halo 3 is arguably the biggest game of the year, and it could only push 250k? Not to say that's a BAD thing, but I don't necessarily understand how this disproves Reggie's point.
It's hard to say, but Halo 3 is clearly a factor. Over half a million systems sold in September is virtually unprecedented. The PS2 pulled it off - once. And the Wii this month. You could argue it's partly the price cut effect, and partly the Halo 3 SKU, but it's clearly in part Halo 3 as well. A million units were not going to shift instantly; an uptick of over 200k in eleven days is very impressive.

There's clearly a mix of factors here, which will continue into October with the new bundles. But Halo 3 moved systems - that's undeniable. It's likely to continue doing so - and that's enough to disprove Reggie's "point".

besada

Banned
Kodiak said:
also surprised no one is talking about NDS doing .5 mil, isn't that pretty huge?

We've already accepted that the DS is laced with cheese heroin and is our new overlord. DS Domination isn't news:D

xS1TH L0RDx said:
i don't think you're right; imo galaxy will sell more than prime, but everyone here is going to be surprised when there is a drop off in sales shortly after release while titles like wii play will continue to soldier on.
Don't say scary shit like that.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Really ? I thought that Metroid Prime sold in USA alone more then 1.3 millions and 500k in its first month....

Pretty sure the data posted last month showed otherwise. I do remember MP1 being overshadowed by the first Splinter Cell.

test_account

XP-39C²
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Your "why" is out of place. You know this answer.

No i dont. Why should you get permbanned for having an opinion?

Stormbringer said:
It's simple : despite being a Nintendo franchise, Metroid always had a particularly niche appeal, which certainly couldn't compare with the monstruously wide appeal of the Mario franchise. Blame the design philosophy of both franchises...

True, but my "why" question was to why he should be permbanned for saying it.

Lefty42o

Banned
Frillen said:
Trend? MP3 is on track to sell more than MP2. Mario Party 8 has sold more than any of the Gamecube iterations. Twilight Princess has already sold more than what Wind Waker did. Super Paper Mario has already sold more than what Paper Mario 2 TTYD did. Wario Ware Wii has sold WAY more than what the Gamecube version did.

the trend of nintendo games selling well over a long term vs short term.

take the fanboy glasses off and see i am not bashing anything. i am just predicting we seee slow sales over a log term.

if i ma wrong in a couple months dig this up and make me eat crow. but relax as well.

Absinthe said:
Good god, shut the hell up. You don't think Halo 3 is as good as a lot of other people do. Big deal. Happens all the time.

bryehn

VultureDude said:
well, it is doing as good as Bioshock, and the 360 is a hardcore platform, so that it telling.

Raw64life said:
LTDs
360 BIOSHOCK TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE (CORP) ~640k
WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION NINTENDO OF AMERICA ~385k

Really think it will catch up?

goomba

Banned
Meanwhile here in New Zealand the sales break down like this

Consoles:
PS3
Wii

Handhelds:

PSP
DS

Must be the same reason why our toilets flush the other way.

FrankT

Fuzzy said:
Halo 3 sold in September what Halo 2 did when it launched in November. More publishers need to move their big guns out of the November/December log jam.

So true, they will get the nice bump over the holidays as well just like Shane Kim predicted. Whoever it was, TXB I believe, that wrote that doubting Thomas piece about the launch date has much crow to be eaten.

Grecco

GhaleonEB said:
But Halo 3 moved systems - that's undeniable. It's likely to continue doing so - and that's enough to disprove Reggie's "point".

His point was that "They didnt have to counter it". He was right. They took Microsofts biggest bullet and shrugged it off.

Kolgar said:
What the hell are PS3 owners DOING? Playing PS2 games? No WONDER they're taking out the BC! :lol

They're watching Blu-ray movies. That's what I've been doing the most with mine, I've bought about 65 Blu-ray movies since I got the console and about 7 games.

Sony takes out Blu-ray movie functionality from PS3 CONFIRMED?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
DeaconKnowledge said:
Not sure what you're getting at here.

Are the remaining 3.25 million people waiting until November to buy 360's for Halo 3?

you forget how many Halo 3 players are of the age to get a 360 and Master Chief 3.0 under the christmas tree.

schild

goomba said:
Meanwhile here in New Zealand the sales break down like this

Consoles:
PS3
Wii

Handhelds:

PSP
DS

Must be the same reason why our toilets flush the other way.

It's called good taste. Bravo, home of the little blue penguin.

StevieP

Banned
Mrbob said:

Microsoft's biggest first party franchise will definately show 3rd parties... hey, wait a minute...

Edit: beaten!
(waggle's here to stay, btw... sorry to say, this will be your last generation of non-waggle)

Prine

Banned
Fuck the hardware

THREE POINT THREE MILLION copies sold.

HALO fucking WASHES AWAY any fucking game IN 1 MONTH REVENUE. Big league boys, big league, now you prick Reggie. Where the fuck are you, you tosser

Its all about the money, and 360 brings the big bucks

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Absinthe said:

Please troll elsewhere, k thx.

Hunter D

MightyHedgehog said:
Good god, shut the hell up. You don't think Halo 3 is as good as a lot of other people do. Big deal. Happens all the time.
Apparently he is the final authority on games. His word is law.

Top Bottom