• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
OokieSpookie said:
SO people are acting all shocked and amazed that the PS3 did not have a good month during the month that Halo 3 launched....

The fact that PS3 is almost back down to its previous low monthly average after what, 2 months with the price drop is very concerning.

Raw64life

LTDs

PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS ~845k
360 MADDEN NFL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS ~1.1 million
360 BIOSHOCK TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE (CORP) ~640k
WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION NINTENDO OF AMERICA ~385k
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA ~2.2 million
NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A NINTENDO OF AMERICA ~250k

It's easy to see why the 40GB version was introduced so soon after the summer price cut. They're desparate and weak. But if the PS3 has already been marked as the "worst" system in the public's eye then it doesn't matter what Sony does. In fact, taking drastic cost cutting matters ends up making people lose more confidence in the system. We'll see what happens with the 40GB model.

Personally I don't think it's going to have a big effect. The PS3 was marketed from the beginning as a luxury machine. High end components. High end capabilities. By lowering its price and cutting features it's effectively going directly against that proposition. That means Sony is abandoning the "premium" audience it had before and fighting for the 360 audience. But Microsoft's position may already be too entrenched in that position making it near impossible for Sony to make gains.

Essentially, Sony is screwed no matter what they do.

Sharp

I predicted that the 360 would win, but I never thought it might be that damn close. PS3 definitely needed that second price drop, Metroid Prime 3 and Bioshock are both doing worse than I expected, and holy fuck at Halo 3. Pretty good numbers for Heavenly Sword though.

Jiggy

[NDS Zelda: Phantom Hourglass] = 223.7K

How well did The Minish Cap do? I really want them to go back to beautiful, beautiful sprites. >_>

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i have superior taste in games AND dictionaries! you're as blind to the nuances of words as you are to the nuances of game design!

DeaconKnowledge said:
You've also failed to answer my second question: When was your definition ever the intended definition on GAF?

my answer to that question is lolololololol

USC-fan

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
I am not an XBOT, but even I know that the Wii will get supply constrained if Galaxy ends up being the pure awesomness that the screens show.
When has the wii not been supply constrained? I never see any wii in stock around where i live....

Kolgar

I think Wiis are selling so well because people are so surprised when they see one in a store that they go, "HOLY SHIT! A WII!" and buy it because it's like seeing a white buffalo or something.

But Wii software isn't moving spectacularly well and I'm not sure all those casuals are going to bite on the next Mario, or any other "traditional" video game either. Metroid certainly seems too "hardcore" for them--look how that's doing.

Nintendo better have its next big casual-friendly game (Wii Sports 2?) ready by the time Wii supply gets in order (or maybe they'll artificially constrict supply for the foreseeable future), because I think a lot of the system's appeal right now is that you just can't find one.

Lefty42o

Banned
Chumly said:
We know your a joke character now PLEASE stop filling up this thread with trash

how am i a joke?

i am, not bashing anything only pointing ut the obvious. this has been debated befor every big wii release. everyone expects it to blow up the charts and it doesn't.

top 10 always and has long legs. but out the door sales are always slow. i think wiisports hurts alot of software sales cause since the game comes packed in many users do not buy many games with their wii purchases.

which is why they have over 500,000 units sold yet only 1 real game in the top 10.

mysticstylez said:
Well seeing that one of it's biggest games (Heavenly Sword) released that month and it only sold that much is kinda surprising.

I am honestly kind of impressed that it is even that high.
Not that it is a bad game, I love it but the whole "6 HOURS" backlash was pretty wide.

AdmiralViscen said:
360 did fuckmazing, everyone who says Halo fans already had 360 can eat some crow

I'm sorry, but how do the 360 sales express this either way? Is there something i'm missing? Yes, Halo 3 was only on sale for 11 days, but 250k systems on 3.3 million sales seems a little bit more than disparate to me. Halo 3 is arguably the biggest game of the year, and it could only push 250k? Not to say that's a BAD thing, but I don't necessarily understand how this disproves Reggie's point.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
OokieSpookie said:
SO people are acting all shocked and amazed that the PS3 did not have a good month during the month that Halo 3 launched....

It is a 5 week month.

Aug
PS3 131,000 or 32,750 per week.

Sept
PS3 119,000 or 23,800 per week.

That is a big drop.

OokieSpookie said:

lol

So it's normal for consoles to sell at GameCube levels (a month after a price drop and with a major release) whenever a big game comes out on a competing console?

The only game on that list that's selling exclusively to its own fanbase is Heavenly Sword.

Omar Ismail said:
It's easy to see why the 40GB version was introduced so soon after the summer price cut. They're desparate and weak. But if the PS3 has already been marked as the "worst" system in the public's eye then it doesn't matter what Sony does. In fact, taking drastic cost cutting matters ends up making people lose more confidence in the system. We'll see what happens with the 40GB model.

Personally I don't think it's going to have a big effect. The PS3 was marketed from the beginning as a luxury machine. High end components. High end capabilities. By lowering its price and cutting features it's effectively going directly against that proposition. That means Sony is abandoning the "premium" audience it had before and fighting for the 360 audience. But Microsoft's position may already be too entrenched in that position making it near impossible for Sony to make gains.

Essentially, Sony is screwed no matter what they do.
I agree. They're toast in NA fo sho.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Gahiggidy said:
Enjoy it while it last, xbots. This will be the last time Xbox sells above a Nintendo console. I'm certain of it.

62iqquf.gif

Timbuktu

Slurpy said:
Not fucking 3.3 million excellent. And certainly not 20X better than MP3 excellent, if one goes by the sale.

Fucking Nintendo should be ashamed of themselves- sabotaging potential MP3 sales by being so goddamned stingy on the almost non-existant advertising.

Just wondering, how much did it cost MS in advertising and marketing to whip up the hype around the Halo franchise in the last two games? MP3 doesn't warrant that sort of money on Wii. SMG, on the other hand, should be trumpeted like the second coming of videogames already...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Kbsmoker said:
When has the wii not been supply constrained? I never see any wii in stock around where i live....

Evertime I go to best buy I see massive stacks of wii's.

Early September I saw a huge stack of around 100 Nintendo Wii's, then a week or two ago I saw a large stack of consoles, only to see 7 get picked up during a 30 minute playthrough of Heavenly Sword.

crbowen

Kodiak said:
I doubt Nintendo cares about software sales. How much do they make just on each Wii box sold?

Someone asked Iwata around E3 about the $50 made per console sold, he said it wasn't that much but was in the ballpark or somewhere around there.

besada

Banned
Wow at Nintendo for not getting blown away. Nothing to speak of driving sales but they keep on truckin.

360 numbers are even higher than the most ardent supporters had guessed. I saw the Canadian numbers, multiplied by ten and thought, nah...not that big a jump.

Halo 3 numbers are also beyond most expectations. I was wildly optimistic thinking it might just barely break 3 million, and it goes 300K over that, even! Wow.

A little more and the 360 would have doubled the PS2 numbers.

TwinsDad

gimmmick said:
Cheese on rice, 3.3 million in less than a week? Is that a record? Congrats to microsoft.

IT was a money made on one entertainment prodcut made on release day record. So I'm sure it would be a record of games too.

titiklabingapat said:
It's actually alot more tolerable than expected. The 360 fans are quite a modest bunch!

I blame the anti-climatic thread title though. Remove the "Nintendo still kickcing ass" part and we'll see an explosion, me thinks. That part of the title is scaring some people away thinking it's still buisness as usual.

I answer you shortly: Sonycowboy made the right choice. Simply he reported the facts and this is what he always does and that's why I respect him: he never tries to opne new useless war. Never.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wait.

SonyCowboy, we must have one figure that I don't see.

You must negotiate for it.

LAIR sales.

I beg of you.

Owzers

OokieSpookie said:

People only get surprised when PS3 has a good month, not having a good month is expected.

Evlar

Banned
schuelma said:
The fact that PS3 is almost back down to its previous low monthly average after what, 2 months with the price drop is very concerning.
It's still well ahead of its weekly low, about 20% ahead. And, honestly, I think it's a mistake to ignore Halo 3's effect on the market. The fact that Wii was immune is not normal, and we shouldn't be surprised to see other systems suffer a bit as limited gaming budgets flood in 360's direction this month.

TwinsDad

crbowen said:
Someone asked Iwata around E3 about the $50 made per console sold, he said it wasn't that much but was in the ballpark or somewhere around there.

I'd like them to lower the price to $229 for this holiday seeing the Sony price drop, and more then likely MS price drop (again).

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
crbowen said:

Not to mention the free money they are getting from the Wii Shop Channel.

@twinsdad... why lower it when they are still selling almost every single unit they manufacture?

DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm sorry, but how do the 360 sales express this either way? Is there something i'm missing? Yes, Halo 3 was only on sale for 11 days, but 250k systems on 3.3 million sales seems a little bit more than disparate to me. Halo 3 is arguably the biggest game of the year, and it could only push 250k? Not to say that's a BAD thing, but I don't necessarily understand how this disproves Reggie's point.

It's September dude.

OokieSpookie said:
I am honestly kind of impressed that it is even that high.
Not that it is a bad game, I love it but the whole "6 HOURS" backlash was pretty wide.

I'm shocked at how poor the HS sales are, it was a huge budget game and marketed for once,

I worry that MS have sweeped up the hardcore market leaving Sony with the gamers who buy Madden et all each year and bought the PS3 because "its a playstation"

Hcoregamer00

Timbuktu said:
Just wondering, how much did it cost MS in advertising and marketing to whip up the hype around the Halo franchise in the last two games? MP3 doesn't warrant that sort of money on Wii. SMG, on the other hand, should be trumpeted like the second coming of videogames already...

If Mario Galaxy doesn't push 2 million the month it is released on such a large fanbase, you will know Nintendo failed at something, whether it is marketing, word of mouth, or getting the wrong userbase to buy a wii.

DeaconKnowledge said:

Yeah, I am in agreement with you. I think it does more to underscore Reggie's point, in fact, than to disprove it.

Chumly

Hcoregamer00 said:
Evertime I go to best buy I see massive stacks of wii's.

Early September I saw a huge stack of around 100 Nintendo Wii's, then a week or two ago I saw a large stack of consoles, only to see 7 get picked up during a 30 minute playthrough of Heavenly Sword.
Every single store around my area is still sold out. They sell out of their shipments the day they get them. That means that your area is still selling through their shipments because otherwise I'd be seeing more in my area. Also all the online stores are sold out.

Raw64life said:
LTDs

PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS ~845k
360 MADDEN NFL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS ~1.1 million
360 BIOSHOCK TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE (CORP) ~640k
WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION NINTENDO OF AMERICA ~385k
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA ~2.2 million
NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A NINTENDO OF AMERICA ~250k

Sigh for MP3. **ing haters. BUY Metroid !!!!

And Sigh(2) to Wii Play.

pswii60

Hcoregamer00 said:
If Mario Galaxy doesn't push 2 million the month it is released on such a large fanbase, you will know Nintendo failed at something, whether it is marketing, word of mouth, or getting the wrong userbase to buy a wii.

Mario Galaxy will sell in epic quantities. Epic quantities.

Absinthe said:
I have to agree. Halo 3, at least in my opinion, sure as hell isn't 3.3 million good.

But Mario Party is 1m+ LTD good?

Are they going to port Stranglehold to every imaginable platform now to recoup the massive cost of the title?

And is it true that they spent $30M developing the thing?

Evlar

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
lol

So it's normal for consoles to sell at GameCube levels (a month after a price drop and with a major release) whenever a big game comes out on a competing console?

The only game on that list that's selling exclusively to its own fanbase is Heavenly Sword.
Does 'big game' adequately describe Halo 3? Weren't you one of the people crowing about The Biggest Day In Entertainment Ever(tm)?

Hcoregamer00 said:
Didn't the PSP slim launch during this NPD month?
Yeah, but it wasn't really pushed in with much marketing and the 'core' non-pack came out later -- it's almost not even out yet here in Canada for how few seem to have got released.

So I'm curious to see if the momentum that the Slim's features seem to be garnering, combined with FFT (obviously pushed pretty hard for a handheld game + FF brand name) make next NPD a bigger month. Not anywhere near a DS month, but I wonder if it'll break 300k.

Hcoregamer00

The Sphinx said:
It's still well ahead of its weekly low, about 20% ahead. And, honestly, I think it's a mistake to ignore Halo 3's effect on the market. The fact that Wii was immune is not normal, and we shouldn't be surprised to see other systems suffer a bit as limited gaming budgets flood in 360's direction this month.

That's true, if Wii survived the Halo 3 tsunami and didn't get beat up, then you know that this will be an intersting battle this holiday season.

Top Bottom