• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

Flakster99

Finally got a taste of Bioshock this week, amazing sales for an amazing game.

Oh yeah..

Lefty42o said:

bloomingidiot.jpg

Innotech

Banned
In retrospect, the way Nintendo priced and positioned the wii was probably THE most intelligent move they have ever made. If it can take a sales event like Halo 3 and still come out so close, it really is true that it has its own market all to itself. But also a bit of overlap with its hardcore games. Nintendo must be building a new HQ out of gold somewhere.

3.3 million for Halo is fucking INSANE!!!

Wii and DS still stay unbelievably high too. I think with a little more stock, Nintendo could have seriously stolen Microsofts thunder.

Jiggy

Kodiak said:
I doubt Nintendo cares about software sales. How much do they make just on each Wii box sold?
Not nearly as much as they'd make if they sold a Wii and had good software sales, basically.

Kolgar said:
But Wii software isn't moving spectacularly well and I'm not sure all those casuals are going to bite on the next Mario, or any other "traditional" video game either. Metroid certainly seems too "hardcore" for them--look how that's doing.
Prime 2 didn't set the world on fire either.

Lefty42o

Banned
etiolate said:
People who think Mario isn't going to sell big have been reading this forum too much.

in the long run yes. but out the door i see it getting beat out by other games comming out the same month.

thats how nintendo software always sells unless its pokemon :D

sdlang

Here is the link to The simExchange NPD first glance for September.
The simExchange NPD First Glance

Halo 3 (Xbox 360) 3,300,000
Wii Play w/ Remote 282,000
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS) 224,000
Madden NFL 08 (PS2) 205,000
Skate (Xbox 360) 175,000
Madden NFL 08 (Xbox 360) 173,000
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii) 167,000
BioShock (Xbox 360) 150,000
Brain Age 2 (DS) 141,200
Heavenly Sword (PS3) 139,000
Stranglehold (Xbox 360) 104,200
Madden NFL 08 (PS3) 61,800
Lair (PS3) 57,800

Jonsoncao

Banned
AstroLad said:
The games just aren't appealing. I love my PS3 and my library will consist of: Resistance, HSG5 (import), PES08 (import). I'm not going to fault or condemn PS3 owners for not picking up Lair and HS.
LOL

lair? again? :lol

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Sigh for MP3. **ing haters. BUY Metroid !!!!

And Sigh(2) to Wii Play.

why is that sigh worthy? they've made almost 20 mill (if my quick brain math is correct) off the NA market alone from a game using a dated engine.

The Sphinx said:
Does 'big game' adequately describe Halo 3? Weren't you one of the people crowing about The Biggest Day In Entertainment Ever(tm)?

Did PS2 drastically underperform its normal sales versus Halo 2, Mario Sunshine, anything else? No. Unless Slim was in shortage already when Halo 2 came out, I don't remember.

And I don't remember being active at all in the Halo 3 sales thread.

Kbsmoker said:
The wii sold 500k with NO big game releases. :/

That must be why I said Wii did fuckmazing, right?

Frillen

Seriously, MP3 selling more than Galaxy is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my entire life and it deserves a permaban.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Halo 3 sold in September what Halo 2 did when it launched in November. More publishers need to move their big guns out of the November/December log jam.

Timbuktu said:
Just wondering, how much did it cost MS in advertising and marketing to whip up the hype around the Halo franchise in the last two games? MP3 doesn't warrant that sort of money on Wii. SMG, on the other hand, should be trumpeted like the second coming of videogames already...

Microsoft made A LOT more money with Halo 3 in ANY CASE. But I agree (only 10%) that these 300 millions $ are not pure money. Microsoft spend TONS of money to prmote the game. But 300 millions $ are always **ing 300 millions $ !

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Congrats MS & Bungie! Awesome numbers.

Congrats Wii & DS. Nintendomination continues apace. Though I am very troubled by the MP3 numbers . That title is fantastic and a great example of how the Wii could be a really innovative "gamers" game machine. But will pubs bother? Scary.

Sony. Tough breaks man. Ouch at the HS numbers. What's going on there?

The Sphinx said:
It's still well ahead of its weekly low, about 20% ahead. And, honestly, I think it's a mistake to ignore Halo 3's effect on the market. The fact that Wii was immune is not normal, and we shouldn't be surprised to see other systems suffer a bit as limited gaming budgets flood in 360's direction this month.

While this would be true in guarded amounts, the PS3 has had steadily diminishing returns month after month despite the start of its exclusives debuting.

I understand you're trying to give the PS3 the benefit of the doubt here, but this data points to a general constant in console sales - price drops without substantial games to support them only provide short lived increases month over month. Sure Halo 3 put a dent in sales, but would it really have been that different had Halo 3 been pushed back a month and the PS3 still sported the nigh unto barren release schedule?

Lefty42o

Banned
Frillen said:
Seriously, MP3 selling more than Galaxy is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my entire life and it deserves a permaban.

for having an opinion on the trend in wii software sells.

all i can say is wow

if i am wrong i am wrong. but begging for a ban over it seems more like 1984 than a open forum.

and for the record i am a wii owner. i own 3 wii games. spm, trauma center , zelda

IMG_0321.jpg

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Chumly said:
Every single store around my area is still sold out. They sell out of their shipments the day they get them. That means that your area is still selling through their shipments because otherwise I'd be seeing more in my area. Also all the online stores are sold out.

That is the thing, I never said that the wii is selling poorly. I never implied that, I forgot to say the huge stack of 100 wii's I saw got sold when I came back 3 days later when I bought some Anime DVD's. The shipments arrive in huge quantities and I happened to be lucky enough the last two instances of seeing a stack of them in person. They sell out in a matter of days and it is impossible to buy them when you want to get it.

I said it before and I said it again, I am buying a Wii when Smash Bros. comes out, the Delay Feb 2nd all but guaranteed that my first "current gen" console is the PS3. Even that is a huge question mark seeing how horrible it is selling. I am now wanting to wait and see if the 40 gig model sets the world on fire, because if it sells as terribly by 2008, I may as well buy a x360.

gcfan2k5

itsgreen said:
yeah 500k wii is great.

but unless they have a secret storage facility, 360 is going to sucker punch the wii this holiday.

Wii is almost constantly sold out, while the 360 will sell atleast a million units this a month in november and december.

Since august theyve been shipping what? around 130k to japan monthly, as opposed to the previous 300k+/month, and they boosted production awhile back without boosting supply. Im guessing theyve already got 3 - 5 million units stockpiled for november + december worldwide (300k/month for the first 8 months and now 500k/month for september and oct being stockpiled, roughly. 360 wont sucker punch wii sales-wise, not worldwide and i dont even think it will for the US either.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Microsoft made A LOT more money with Halo 3 in ANY CASE. But I agree (only 10%) that these 300 millions $ are not pure money. Microsoft spend TONS of money to prmote the game. But 300 millions $ are always **ing 300 millions $ !

Wasn't it a $30 million ad campaign? How much did the game cost to develop? $20 million? Probably less?

Hello money!

Kodiak said:
why is that sigh worthy? they've made almost 20 mill (if my quick brain math is correct) off the NA market alone from a game using a dated engine.

It is not only a matter of money. The game deserved to be played by more people, because it's GREAT ! It deserved at least a million alone in USA.

Timbuktu

Kolgar said:
I think a lot of the system's appeal right now is that you just can't find one.

You would have to be looking for one first for that to work. I think there are obvious appeals to Wii and the whole thing has been marketed as a platform so far. One thing for sure though, whatever taps into the Wii Sports audience next will go a long way in defining the current generation. (I'm hoping it SMG)

Halo 3 has a already done it in terms of setting the model for a blockbuster franchise, perfectly time and executed.

clashfan

Lefty42o said:
for having an opinion on the trend in wii software sells.

all i can say is wow

if i am wrong i am wrong. but begging for a ban over it seems more like 1984 than a open forum.

This is GAF! The fanboys take the console wars very seriously.

Evlar

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Did PS2 drastically underperform its normal sales versus Halo 2, Mario Sunshine, anything else? No. Unless Slim was in shortage already when Halo 2 came out, I don't remember.

And I don't remember being active at all in the Halo 3 sales thread.

That must be why I said Wii did fuckmazing, right?
Halo 2 came out in November, when entertainment budgets are much LESS limited. It's called the holiday season, and September isn't part of it. Further, PS2 was able to stay high with its own stable of incredible releases coming fast and furious the weeks before and after Halo 2.

I don't get this. Halo 3 affected the market. Isn't that what the 360 guys have been proclaiming since forever? Why disavow it now just to make PS3 look a little worse?

eviltasan

100k Wii per week for USA it seems. It'll be interesting to track that number up to Christmas because right now its a steady flow. I wonder how much they have to ramp it up as we move forward.

Mrbob

BTW PS3 owners should be happy by this strong 360 performance.

MS just officially saved next gen from the onus of waggle.

Better hardware sales, better software sales. 3rd parties won't be jumping ship to wii anytime soon. The side effect is there is always a PS3 port for 3rd party titles, so the PS3 benefits even though it is getting beat down.

Why are people acting like MP3 did poorly? It's outperforming MP1, which was the first new Metroid game in like 8 years, had totally fresh gameplay, and launched in November instead of September.

Unless MP1 did better than I'm thinking in December, which could simply be chalked up to it being December.

MP3 is exceeding my expectations (or fears?)

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
gcfan2k5 said:
Since august theyve been shipping what? around 130k to japan monthly, as opposed to the previous 300k+/month, and they boosted production awhile back without boosting supply. Im guessing theyve already got 3 - 5 million units stockpiled for november + december worldwide (300k/month for the first 8 months and now 500k/month for september and oct being stockpiled, roughly. 360 wont sucker punch wii sales-wise, not worldwide and i dont even think it will for the US either.

I wish i had a good .gif about conspiracy theories

I'm not sure why, but I feel sorry for Sony now. Sure, I bought Halo 3 and sure, the only game I really want for PS3 won't come out until next year (thus not contributing to its software sales), but still... Sony's not in a good spot.

The Sphinx said:
Halo 2 came out in November, when entertainment budgets are much LESS limited. It's called the holiday season, and September isn't part of it. Further, PS2 was able to stay high with its own stable of incredible releases coming fast and furious the weeks before and after Halo 2.

I don't get this. Halo 3 affected the market. Isn't that what the 360 guys have been proclaiming since forever? Why disavow it now just to make PS3 look a little worse?

If you're going to act like an ass and talk down to me then I won't get involved with you. There's a reason why I didn't name Halo 2 alone, but you choose to ignore that to helpfully tell me what November is?

I don't see how my original statement makes PS3 look worse than it is. I don't even know why the fuck you're talking to me.

To avoid comparing PS3 to PS2, and looking at holidays, let's do it this way: Did XBOX sell poorly the month Wind Waker came out? Did 360 sell poorly when God of War 2 came out? Did Cube sell badly when Ninja Gaiden came out? Did XBOx do poorly when Sunshine came out? I don't remember this phenomena being a consistent theme in sales, so I don't see why we should chalk up PS3's sales drop to Halo 3 instead of looking at it as a normal drop in demand.

Lefty42o

Banned
clashfan said:
This is GAF! The fanboys take the console wars very seriously.

they should relax. i am Switzerland. i love all 3 consoles.

but i also have [predictions on future sales like anyone else.

test_account said:

It's simple : despite being a "top" Nintendo franchise, Metroid always had a particularly niche appeal, which certainly couldn't compare with the monstruously wide appeal of the Mario franchise. Blame the design philosophy of both franchises... Also, Nintendo's attitude towards both...

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Mrbob said:
BTW PS3 owners should be happy by this strong 360 performance.

MS just officially saved next gen from the onus of waggle.

I guess that's one way of looking at it! :lol

AdmiralViscen said:
Why are people acting like MP3 did poorly? It's outperforming MP1, which was the first new Metroid game in like 8 years, had totally fresh gameplay, and launched in November instead of September.

Unless MP1 did better than I'm thinking in December, which could simply be chalked up to it being December.

MP3 is exceeding my expectations (or fears?)
Seeing the popularity of the Wii gave me hope it would do better. I'm sure it is doing better than the original, which is still quite good.

Top Bottom