• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

Sonki. said:
2howd1z.jpg

Oh snap :lol

Porkepik

Bonker said:
The reason for that is that a large proportion of PS3 owners use their machine solely for the Blu-Ray and/or they also have a 360 and given a choice each month of buying the best new game for either machine, it's usually the 360 game that wins ...

In relation to the above post re Japanese s/w support; well the relatively poor game sales of the PS3 make it unattractive to the developers whereas the 360's game sales are awesome either taken as a total (which is all dev's care about) or on a per-console basis. This can only translate to more/better games (from everywhere) for the 360 and fewer/worse games for the PS3 in the medium-long term ...

The PS3 price-cut is a necessary move but there's no guaranteeing that it's enough to stop the 360 pulling away again as looks likely over the next couple of months. If it does, then for sure the PS3 (in whatever the latest configuration is!) will be staring into the abyss for real ...

That is exactly my situation

I got the PS3 back in december , a 360 in may and a wii in july.

Since then I bought
FOr the PS3: COD3,RFOM,MOTORSTORM, OBLIVION AND HEAVENLY SWORD which I sold back once finished

FOR the 360:HALO 3, ETERNAL SONATA, BLUE DRAGON, BIOSHOCK, CONDEMNED, VIVA PINATA, PGR3, ENCHANT ARMS, PHANTASY STAR, NHL 08, SPIDERMAN 3, KAMEO . I Only sold back Kkameo and PGR 3 since then

For the Wii: RE4 and MP3

The hardware expenses are fixed expenses, I can spend it like that once every five year without any problem. Software on the other side I have to make decisions on what to buy(don't have unlimited budget) and most of the newer releases have drawn me to the 360. I think most of the multiplatform owner think like that.
If a game is multiplat I will choose the best, most fluid version wich has been the 360 one most of the time (except oblivion)

On the other side most of the newer release the split will be more even. Till the end of the year i will buy Mass effect and Assassin's creed on the 360, Ratchet, COD4 (seems this version is the better one still have to see once the reviews start coming)and uncharted on PS3, SMG on the Wii .

All in all I,m sure the PS3 sales (software and hardware will increase dramatically from november and will not slow down again)

Dammit, I totally forgot about NPD, I missed all the drama, and staying up all night.

Anyway I think Halo has exceeded everyones expectations. And Wii stole the show, without even trying.

Its like Schumacher gets penalised, he starts from the pits, and has the slower car, and he comes in at 2nd place, a few milliseconds (27 to be precise) behind Coulthard, who had maintained pole position the whole race. And he is shoved to the side, because the man of the race is still shumacher.

Oh well what will happen when SSBB, SMG, Wii Fit etc are released.

I hope Metroid Prime can sustain some legs. Retro deserve it.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
This is a theory that may have been brought up before, but are those 500k 360s isolated, or could they be part of the holiday sales? In other words, a kid begs their parent for a 360 (omgz Halo 3!!!11one), and they get it because the parent was going to get one anyway for the holidays. Could this impact 360 holiday sales if true?

joshcryer said:
This is a theory that may have been brought up before, but are those 500k 360s isolated, or could they be part of the holiday sales? In other words, a kid begs their parent for a 360 (omgz Halo 3!!!11one), and they get it because the parent was going to get one anyway for the holidays. Could this impact 360 holiday sales if true?

what?

Xekrn

Banned
Frillen said:
They tried with Viva Pinata, but it failed. And now they're again trying with Viva Pinata + that quiz game (which name I've forgotten).
That game is called party animal.

And I think that $279 Arcade 360 is a good attempt to hit the casual market too.

itsgreen

the thoroughbred said:
Dammit, I totally forgot about NPD, I missed all the drama, and staying up all night.

Anyway I think Halo has exceeded everyones expectations. And Wii stole the show, without even trying.

Its like Schumacher gets penalised, he starts from the pits, and has the slower car, and he comes in at 2nd place, a few milliseconds (27 to be precise) behind Coulthard, who had maintained pole position the whole race. And he is shoved to the side, because the man of the race is still shumacher.

Oh well what will happen when SSBB, SMG, Wii Fit etc are released.

I hope Metroid Prime can sustain some legs. Retro deserve it.

Are you saying that the Wii is a retired german? Or 360 an old scotish race driver who should have stopped driving a few years ago?

But all kidding aside, the Wii is just maxing out its stock. Good for them.

But I think every sold 360 is used more then every sold Wii. I think 75% of the Wii's are allready collecting dust. I believe there were some figures of that from Japan. But that is just my opinion.

CassSept

Forgot about NPD day :<
Holy shit @ Halo3. 3.3 mls? Just wow.
And holy shit @ wii, they still got close second without doing anything. November numbers will be interesting:lol

[Nintex]

Great sales all around, Halo sold amazing as expected and Sony still has the PSP and PS2 selling great. Metroid Prime 3 should do alot better in Europe I think, there's actually some decent marketing and I think that sales in the US will pick up as well now that Smash Bros. won't hit this year. Nintendo did some amazing numbers without even trying, I can't imagine the boost from Super Mario Galaxy with the support of some good third party games.

beerbelly

Banned
joshcryer said:

Possibly. Just like the parents that bought their kids PS3 with Heavenly Sword will obviously not buy them another PS3 for Christmas.

ziran

PS3 sales are terrible, and Heavenly Sword sold poorly for what it was, like Lair. Both are likely to be incredible loss making schemes.

Stranglehold is another struggler. While there are still several big traditional gaming hits, far more than Japan, it's clear this generation is going to pose big trouble for many developers banking on HD epics.

Halo 3 is a monster and 360 sales are great. Though, like Xbox, its problem going forward is shedding the Halo/shooter box image in the eyes of the mass market, and reaching a broader audience, as the attach rate shows, but, I don't think mass market PS2 type success was ever really possible for 360 so MS should be happy with having a healthy system in the region. However, looking at the bigger picture, given the performances of the game and hw around the rest of the world it's clear 360 is a NA orientated console, and it's possible PS3 could outsell it in every other territory as it already has in Japan.

Wii sales are excellent. To sell another 100K per week with no notable releases is just staggering. It’s looking more and more likely to be the dominant system this gen. Nintendo is making all the right moves and recent reports from component manufacturers are suggesting a substantial increase in production next year, with maybe 25 million+ units going to market. In fact Nintendo could be planning to ship ~50 million units of hw next fiscal year, which would be the most ever by any console manufacturer.

DS has another month of great sales. It's difficult to know what kind of increase the PSP saw with the introduction of the new model, but it doesn't look anything like the fanatical increase it had in Japan, but this isn't surprising.

A great September for hardware.

[Nintex]

beerbelly said:
Possibly. Just like the parents that bought their kids PS3 with Heavenly Sword will obviously not buy them another PS3 for Christmas.
I want parents that buy me a $399 console :(

The only system my parents ever gave to me was the DSLite when I passed my finals. I used to get games when I was a kid, but it would be awesome if there was a NeoGeo or 3DO under the christmas tree.

CassSept said:
Forgot about NPD day :<
Holy shit @ Halo3. 3.3 mls? Just wow.
And holy shit @ wii, they still got close second without doing anything. November numbers will be interesting:lol

Software VS Hardware

very strange...

Meier

Do you think 6 months ago that anyone would have guessed Heavenly Sword wouldn't even sell more than NCAA Football 08 did in its first month (let alone Madden)? Talk about a huge bomb for Sony.. it should do relatively well in the EU and have okay legs here in the States, but software sales are simply abyssmal for the platform.

Wii will be huge this Holiday season. People my in work place are lining up their Wii purchases for the Holidays and they have zero idea about any games out for it.

They just want to have fun with Wii Sports.

That 3.3 million figure for Halo 3 is still sinking in. Massive.

Hardware worked about as I expected, slightly better than expected for 360 from my view. The Wii hardware itself still has buzz and the lower price point had me thinking these close numbers would be reversed.

[Nintex]

Meier said:
Do you think 6 months ago that anyone would have guessed Heavenly Sword wouldn't even sell more than NCAA Football 08 did in its first month (let alone Madden)? Talk about a huge bomb for Sony.. it should do relatively well in the EU and have okay legs here in the States, but software sales are simply abyssmal for the platform.
I wonder how the better games will sell, I expect great numbers for Ratchet, UTIII and Uncharted. Those seem to be Sony's biggest guns this holiday season.

Weren't there people who bet bans on Heavenly Sword selling more than Bioshock?

I wonder how the better games will sell, I expect great numbers for Ratchet, UTIII and Uncharted. Those seem to be Sony's biggest guns this holiday season.

UT3, if releasing this year will have the best numbers IMO.

Edit: Spelling

[Nintex]

cartoon_soldier said:

UT3 is releasing this year will have the best numbers IMO.
The Bioshock success came out of nowhere, just a few days before launch some sick hype thing occured and everyone bought the game. It's good to see that people still appreciate great games. Everyone thought it would bomb, but it didn't only sell great, it also has quite some legs.

[Nintex] said:
The Bioshock success came out of nowhere, just a few days before launch some sick hype thing occured and everyone bought the game. It's good to see that people still appreciate great games. Everyone thought it would bomb, but it didn't only sell great, it also has quite some legs.

Yeah, Bioshock's great. But I thought in one of the earlier Bioshock review threads, some people bet that HS would outsell Bioshock, i.e. sell more in its release month than Bioshock did in its release month.

Nolan.

Porkepik said:
That is exactly my situation

I got the PS3 back in december , a 360 in may and a wii in july.

Since then I bought
FOr the PS3: COD3,RFOM,MOTORSTORM, OBLIVION AND HEAVENLY SWORD which I sold back once finished

FOR the 360:HALO 3, ETERNAL SONATA, BLUE DRAGON, BIOSHOCK, CONDEMNED, VIVA PINATA, PGR3, ENCHANT ARMS, PHANTASY STAR, NHL 08, SPIDERMAN 3, KAMEO . I Only sold back Kkameo and PGR 3 since then

For the Wii: RE4 and MP3

The hardware expenses are fixed expenses, I can spend it like that once every five year without any problem. Software on the other side I have to make decisions on what to buy(don't have unlimited budget) and most of the newer releases have drawn me to the 360. I think most of the multiplatform owner think like that.
If a game is multiplat I will choose the best, most fluid version wich has been the 360 one most of the time (except oblivion)

On the other side most of the newer release the split will be more even. Till the end of the year i will buy Mass effect and Assassin's creed on the 360, Ratchet, COD4 (seems this version is the better one still have to see once the reviews start coming)and uncharted on PS3, SMG on the Wii .

All in all I,m sure the PS3 sales (software and hardware will increase dramatically from november and will not slow down again)

Why would you buy Enchanted arms and more over why would you buy it for the 360 -_-.

The thing with prime is really that it has no mass market appeal.

I am a Wii owner and my favourite genre is FPSs yet i have no plan to buy MP3 simply because from what i have gathered of the game, there is too much adventure and scanning stuff for my tastes. I will however, be renting the game. If i find i like it then i might buy it but will probably just end up finishing the rental copy. The only game i have played to guage my own opinions on prime is Prime Hunters which i know is a bad example (from comments on here) but it is still the closest thing that i will be able to get.
If prime had a good MP component like hunters then after renting it i would be far more likely to purchase for the MP. As much as people say games don't need MP to be great (which is ture), they certainly help with long term sales.

Still, great Wii, 360 and DS sales and i was absolutely stunned by the Halo3 sales.

Gwanatu T

Wow. Holy crap in a bag @ Halo and lack of 360 new sales at the same time. This is really only double the average; think people are waiting for Christmas?

Holy crap at Wii too. How did it sell 500k in Sept? Did more than just Prime 3 come out, because that hasn't broken 500k yet has it?

cartoon_soldier said:

UT3, if releasing this year will have the best numbers IMO.

Edit: Spelling
In th unlikely event UT3 released this year I don't think it would outsell Ratchet or Uncharted, UT is traditionally not a very console-friendly franchise.

[Nintex]

Kamakazie! said:
The thing with prime is really that it has no mass market appeal.

I am a Wii owner and my favourite genre is FPSs yet i have no plan to buy MP3 simply because from what i have gathered of the game, there is too much adventure and scanning stuff for my tastes. I will however, be renting the game. If i find i like it then i might buy it but will probably just end up finishing the rental copy. The only game i have played to guage my own opinions on prime is Prime Hunters which i know is a bad example (from comments on here) but it is still the closest thing that i will be able to get.
If prime had a good MP component like hunters then after renting it i would be far more likely to purchase for the MP. As much as people say games don't need MP to be great (which is ture), they certainly help with long term sales.

Still, great Wii, 360 and DS sales and i was absolutely stunned by the Halo3 sales.
I agree Metroid has a really small audience. Hunters had this "Quake for DS vibe" that I hated but I think that it sold better than MP2 and MP3.

dr_rus

KyanMehwulfe said:
and Reggie's "everyone who buys Halo 3 already -had- a 360" is a little laughable now.
Well actually Reggie is proven to be quite right.
Just look at the numbers:
- X360 sold somewhat around 525k in September
- Halo 3 was out on 26th;
- so for the most of the month it wasn't Halo 3 that was selling the X360s
- basically, without Halo 3 X360 would have sold aprox. the same amount as it did in August -- somewhere around ~250k
- and that leaves us with ~200k of units sold solely for Halo 3
- which in itself sold 3.3 M!
- and that means that 3.1 M was sold to the existing X360 owners.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
dr_rus said:
Well actually Reggie is proven to be quite right.
Just look at the numbers:
- X360 sold somewhat around 525k in September
- Halo 3 was out on 26th;
- so for the most of the month it wasn't Halo 3 that was selling the X360s
- basically, without Halo 3 X360 would have sold aprox. the same amount as it did in August -- somewhere around ~250k
- and that leaves us with ~200k of units sold solely for Halo 3
- which in itself sold 3.3 M!
- and that means that 3.1 M was sold to the existing X360 owners.

And of course, Halo 3 sales are all dried up now. It was a good couple of weeks though, eh?

[Nintex] said:
I agree Metroid has a really small audience. Hunters had this "Quake for DS vibe" that I hated but I think that it sold better than MP2 and MP3.
No, it didn't.

MP3 should easily brush past MPH, and MP2 closed off at around the 700k mark.

Why are people saying MP3 sales are poor? Poor against what? The series is NOT that big a seller. It has never been, so why was it supposed to start now all of a sudden? Super Metroid couldn't even crack 1 million in NA. These sales are very much expected; maybe Nintendo expected more (since they were apparently disappointed in MP2's sales), but they didn't do anything to make me believe they were trying to push MP3 anymore than they did past Metroid games.

Vagabundo

Magicpaint said:
No, it didn't.

Why are people saying MP3 sales are poor? Poor against what? The series is NOT that big a seller. It has never been, so why was it supposed to start now all of a sudden? Super Metroid couldn't even crack 1 million in NA. These sales are very much expected; maybe Nintendo expected more (since they were apparently disappointed in MP2's sales), but they didn't do anything to make me believe they were trying to push MP3 anymore than they did past Metroid games.

I think people believed with more shooting in it it would sell to the 1mil pips who bought Red Steel....

Magicpaint said:
No, it didn't.

Kaplan already said MP3 is surpassing their expectations, for what it's worth.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Vagabundo said:
I think people believed with more shooting in it it would sell to the 1mil pips who bought Red Steel....

Well remember, RS did a million WORLD WIDE- I would guess that MP has already surpassed it in N.A

I think sales are disappointing, as its going to do closer to MP2 than MP1..but I don't think its an absolute bomb.

Heavenly Sword, with that budget? That's a bomb.

Jokeropia

Vagabundo said:
MP3 will easily pass Red Steel worldwide. There's a holiday coming up, remember.

We should really wait until the end of the fiscal year (when we get software shipment figures from Nintendo) to make a full judgement on MP3 sales.

[Nintex]

I will get MP3 next week in PAL land.

HS bombed indeed and so did Lair. Sony should focus on their succesfull franchises instead of promising projects. Get Gran Turismo, God of War and Ratchet out there.

Vagabundo

Just to clear up I do not think that MP3 will bomb, it should get near a 1mil and we might see an assplosion at christmas.

It just hasnt had a huge amount out of the gate. But with the Wii I do not think software is as front loaded as the 360. Things seem to have legs and limp along in the charts for quite some time.

Possibly Wii owners arnt as hype driven to pick up games (yeah i know there are going to be some smart comments on that one)...

ENDNOTE: I will be picking this up next week here in Éire, I got approval for a game purchase from the management and an little nixer tonight to pay for it :D happy days....

1) PS3 is tanking hard. It pretty much is a defined 3rd place right now.

2) Halo 3 sold 3.3 million units, huge for its userbase. Halo box confirmed.

3) Metroid Prime 3 should be doing better. MP1 did over 1.5 million sales and that turd Red Steel did over a million. Perhaps Red Steel killed off general public anticipation for Wii FPS titles.

Top Bottom