• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

[Nintex]

Gadfly said:
I know quite a few PS2 owners waiting for a price drop (yes I know, anecdotal evidence) . and $400 is a reasonable entry price in particular during holiday season.

Sony in their financial statement (and NOT PR) predicted they will sell 11 million in the current fiscal year (I believe ending June 08). and I yet to see they revising it (as MS had to do last January). If they were not on track to meet this goal, they would have said something.
Worldwide, the system slowly picks up steam in Japan and it's actually selling on par with the Xbox 360 in Europe. Also PES is just around the corner.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
BenjaminBirdie said:
Especially when the cheapest version doesn't allow them to upgrade in the same way the PS2 did. I remember what a massive selling point that was for the PS2, "A library of hundreds of playable games from Day 1, with enhanced graphics to boot".
But this is something they can easily fix with a firmware upgrade -if- it turns out to be an issue. They can even make it an update you have to pay for and make some money in process.

Gadfly said:
But this is something they can easily fix with a firmware upgrade -if- it turns out to be an issue. They can even make it and update you have to pay for and make some money in process.

That sounds pretty unappealing to your average consumer. But probably beneficial to Sony? For like the fourteen minutes before it becomes a PR nightmare?

Gadfly

Fatghost said:
I think you are overestimating the PS2 base's loyalty to Sony and the PS brand.
it is not loyalty to Sony. it is loyalty to Sony exclusives.

Do you think MGS fans are less loyal than Halo fans?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Gadfly said:
But this is something they can easily fix with a firmware upgrade -if- it turns out to be an issue. They can even make it an update you have to pay for and make some money in process.

Nothing easy about it. It would be extremely difficult to make it work.

Nolan.

Gadfly said:
PS3 will sell 1 million Nov and 1.5 million Dec easy. I think dropping to $400 is HUGE.

This is assuming they can get enough 40G PS3s on the shelves. I will not be surprised if they sell out.

Last year was it's big debut and it had a hard time making it to a million so it will be interesting given it's holiday line up to get to or past 1 million.

Gadfly said:
it is not loyalty to Sony. it is loyalty to Sony exclusives.

Do you think MGS fans are less loyal than Halo fans?
US MGS and FF fans aren't going to account for 2.5 million PS3s this November+December.

cedric69

Gadfly said:
Comparing PS3 to GC or DC does not make sense. PS3 is just starting to roll out its AAA titles and just about to drop to a consumer friendly price. I don't think GC or DC at this point in their life had so much potential to become more appealing.
What?

Consumer friendly PS2 launch price $299
Consumer friendly Xbox launch price $299
Consumer friendly GameCube launch price $199 (not that it did too much good)

Since when $399 is considered a consumer friendly price? I wouldn't want for people to delude themselves over this.

PS3 needs to reach $199 before it's consumer friendly. Otherwise it's a platform for hardcore gamers and there's already one, slightly cheaper, doing far better and offering similar gaming experiences.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
vpance said:
The size of the hardcore PS3 gaming crowd must be tiny judging from the sales. And the casual market for them is small, turned off by price and lack of knowledge of the platform due to poor marketing. It's just a fractured and uninformed userbase. Seems this wont be fixed until there's a combination of price drop, defacto AAA games and good marketing. So in other words when MGS4 comes out we'll truly be able to paint a picture of the future and potential PS3 market & userbase.

The thing about the PS3 that you have to consider is that I'm sure many of its owners have at least own other gaming option (PC, 360, Wii, etc.). I know there are a lot of spoiled rich kids out there, but it's a bit propesterous to think that there's not a sizable hardcore enthusiast chunk of a $500/$600 gaming machine's owners. I've bought probably about ten or fifteen games the past few months, but for PS3 just Resistance and imports of HSG5 and PES 2008. The reason I haven't gotten HS (other than the fact that I'm not a huge fan of the genre) is that there is just too much stuff I have to play elsewhere, and I'd imagine I'm not alone in this. I think you can argue to a certain extent that Wii releases exist in a bubble, but much less so for PS3.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sony's biggest software success of the last few months was 300 on Blu Ray.

Their next big software success story is Spiderman 3, then Pirates of the Caribbean 3 Blu Ray. Those will likely outsell most (if not all) of the gaming software during the holidays.

Now, do you think that those facts worry Sony?

I'd say yes and no, but I rather hear what other folks think.

Gadfly

BenjaminBirdie said:
That sounds pretty unappealing to your average consumer. But probably beneficial to Sony? For like the fourteen minutes before it becomes a PR nightmare?
you think people are ok to pay for BC if it is reflected in something physical but not if it is done through software?

And TBH, I don't think anybody will stop buying $400 PS3 due to lack of BC. How did it affect xbox owners?

Gadfly said:
you think people are ok to pay for BC if it is reflected in something physical but not if it is done through software?

And TBH, I don't think anybody will stop buying $400 PS3 due to lack of BC. How did it affect xbox owners?

?!?

I think at this point, today, when a customer walks into Best Buy, they see a precedent for a $400 console to offer backwards compatibility. And a year into its lifespan, where the PS3 is now, a $400 360 offered backwards compatibility for nearly all of its high profile titles.

Nolan.

Gadfly said:

In all honesty the xbox's library was pretty crap in comparison to the ps2's library so missing a couple of games would hardly be noticed. I only own something like 6 xbox games soul calibur 2 and shenmue 2 being the only ones iv'e played recently. So in al the comparison doesn't really stand but with that said it might appeal to people who keep their older consoles.

Gadfly

cedric69 said:
:lol nice spinning. Now compatibility for most major releases is the same as no compatibility at all...
ok, yes I spinned a little!

I still don't think it's a major issue.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Gadfly said:

Well, MS announced that they would be adding BC and had a goal of making BC as close to 100% as possible.

So far, Sony has said no BC in the 40 GB sku and the last thing they said about it was that they cut the BC to encourage people to buy PS3 games :lol

So it's not exactly the same situation.

Nolan. said:
In all honesty the xbox's library was pretty crap in comparison to the ps2's library so missing a couple of games would hardly be noticed. I only own something like 6 xbox games soul calibur 2 and shenmue 2 being the only ones iv'e played recently. So in al the comparison doesn't really stand but with that said it might appeal to people who keep their older consoles.

That's also true. My PS2 library was and still is about four times the size of my Xbox 1 library.

VanMardigan said:
Sony's biggest software success of the last few months was 300 on Blu Ray.

Their next big software success story is Spiderman 3, then Pirates of the Caribbean 3 Blu Ray. Those will likely outsell most (if not all) of the gaming software during the holidays.

Now, do you think that those facts worry Sony?

I'd say yes and no, but I rather hear what other folks think.

Right now, all Sony want is as much PS3 hardware sales as possible. They don't and can't care about whether people are buying the machines for BD movies or whatever (for now). Their situation in the US is too poor for them to consider anything else other than expanding hardware user base.

GhaleonEB

cedric69 said:
What?

Consumer friendly PS2 launch price $299
Consumer friendly Xbox launch price $299
Consumer friendly GameCube launch price $199 (not that it did too much good)

Since when $399 is considered a consumer friendly price? I wouldn't want for people to delude themselves over this.

PS3 needs to reach $199 before it's consumer friendly. Otherwise it's a platform for hardcore gamers and there's already one, slightly cheaper, doing far better and offering similar gaming experiences.
I think $400 is the first mark of what could be considered consumer-friendly, because MS has been at that price point and did modestly well at it. They sold 1.5m 360's in Nov/Dec last year at $400 (a small mix of $300 Core in there as well). Now that the PS3 is down to that level, it's reasonable to say it should start doing similar numbers. Not spectacular, but solid, one might say.

Gadfly

JoshuaJSlone said:
US MGS and FF fans aren't going to account for 2.5 million PS3s this November+December.
You really think all MGS fans will wait for March 08 (or whenever) to get their PS3? Did all Halo fans wait for Sept 07 to buy a 360?

Gadfly

D O W N said:
Where is Nintendo's Press Release? Did I just miss it..?
It wasn't something to write home about. They sold every unit they could ship. What's there to say?

MS PR release on the other hand was "interesting".

$400 was consumer friendly because it had games worth the price of admission. ps3 does not and will not have that this year. ps3 will see a boost this holiday because of blu ray sales. its that simple. nothing else will be boosting ps3 sales.

Philthy

Gadfly said:

If you hung around the forums much, everytime the 360 got some BC updates, you would have seen that people did indeed take the BC seriously enough that it effected their purchase. Trying to say the BC on the 360 was no big deal would be pretty ignorant. When Halo 3 and Forza 2 were starting their hype train, quite a few(ton) of people went out and picked up the older games to play to get a feel for the newer game. During the slower months, you would see many people asking about good BC RPGs to go play to keep them busy while they wait for the "next big thing" to come out. People are still waiting for their favorite XBox games to get BC. You'll see a rant here and there.

Before this generation really started, BC was a big deal. It was a trump card everyone was showing and beating their chests over. Out of all three, Microsoft got slagged because it wasn't 100%, and it was pretty big news when they said they didn't think BC was very important. The following day they retracted the statement and apologized because they found out really quick how important BC is to their player base.

So you tell me, how did it affect xbox owners? Quite a bit, actually. Sony is going to find this out really fast.

Gadfly said:
You really think all MGS fans will wait for March 08 (or whenever) to get their PS3? Did all Halo fans wait for Sept 07 to buy a 360?

Current sales charts say yes. However, comparing the size of the MGS fan base to the size of the Halo fan base would be a bit absurd. The spike in sales will more than likely be minimal. Much like the 360 when Bioshock came out.

jay

Gadfly said:
It wasn't something to write home about. They sold every unit they could ship. What's there to say?

MS PR release on the other hand was "interesting".

Perpetually sold out is not something to write home about?

vpance

AstroLad said:
The thing about the PS3 that you have to consider is that I'm sure many of its owners have at least own other gaming option (PC, 360, Wii, etc.). I know there are a lot of spoiled rich kids out there, but it's a bit propesterous to think that there's not a sizable hardcore enthusiast chunk of a $500/$600 gaming machine's owners. I've bought probably about ten or fifteen games the past few months, but for PS3 just Resistance and imports of HSG5 and PES 2008. The reason I haven't gotten HS (other than the fact that I'm not a huge fan of the genre) is that there is just too much stuff I have to play elsewhere, and I'd imagine I'm not alone in this. I think you can argue to a certain extent that Wii releases exist in a bubble, but much less so for PS3.

That's a reasonable explanation, but then could you be considered hardcore PS3 owner when you don't buy many games for it? I don't think you can be if it's not your sole or primary system.

Nolan.

I think people might be in for a very pleasant surprising/humbling experience concerning MGS. I think the game will sell but not monumental console shifting selling people seem to be hoping for. I think the title to look forward to do that is a ps3 FF who knows there might even be a break out new ip in there somewhere i'm not even sure GTA 4 on the ps3 will fare well looking at the 3rd party trend.

vpance said:
That's a reasonable explanation, but then could you be considered hardcore PS3 owner when you don't buy many games for it? I don't think you can be if it's not your sole or primary system.

He'd be a hardcore gamer who owns a PS3 and there are probably more of the latter than the former.

GhaleonEB said:
I think $400 is the first mark of what could be considered consumer-friendly, because MS has been at that price point and did modestly well at it. They sold 1.5m 360's in Nov/Dec last year at $400 (a small mix of $300 Core in there as well). Now that the PS3 is down to that level, it's reasonable to say it should start doing similar numbers. Not spectacular, but solid, one might say.

MS also had Gears of War, Rainbow Six Vegas, the lead version of Call of Duty 3, the launch of video marketplace, and $100 price breaks at most major retailers.

Even so, I don't think aiming for MS' 2006 numbers is all that great, since MS' is looking to sell 25 to 50% more this year. If the PS3 falls behind an additional million units in the next 3 months, there's no coming back from that.

Well with the news of Dual Shock 3 and Home coming in 'spring' what incentive does anyone have to buy a PS3 now vs later (for MGS)? Is there a MGS demo up on PSN? Are there similar game experiences to MGS on the PS3 right now? The games that are on shelves right now have to present a compelling argument.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
vpance said:

As usual, the use of the term "hardcore" has tripped us up (although for the record I am yoober-hardcore because import multiple titles and I'm importing a DS3 so yeah I'm pretty money)--as I was alluding to above the "hardcore" is just in reference to how well informed/obsessive/nerdy the person is about games in general, not specifically whether they are PS3 diehards.

Gadfly said:
It will take a hell of a lot to get PS3 to 2.5 million. A fraction of a few exclusive franchises' diehard fans buying their machines months early isn't enough. Zelda fans buying their GCNs early for Wind Waker pushed GameCube to a 1.0 million November+December 2002.

Gadfly

Count Dookkake said:
Has there been a Sony press release to spin their failure? Page number please, if yes.
They said they are happy the "overall sales of PS3 increased" or something to that effect.

Gadfly

jay said:
Perpetually sold out is not something to write home about?
I guess it didn't come up right. I didn't mean to imply that the news themselves are not something to write home about!

they have sold out every month for the last year so I don't expect an interesting PR release. What can they say that they pretty much didn't say last month? “We could have sold 2 million if we had shipped 2 million”?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Nolan. said:
I think people might be in for a very pleasant surprising/humbling experience concerning MGS. I think the game will sell but not monumental console shifting selling people seem to be hoping for. I think the title to look forward to do that is a ps3 FF who knows there might even be a break out new ip in there somewhere i'm not even sure GTA 4 on the ps3 will fare well looking at the 3rd party trend.

I agree. I don't think GTA4 will move PS3 as much as it will move 360, and I don't think MGS4 can reverse the PS3's trends.

FF and Gran Turismo are the established franchises that can help the PS3, but it remains to be seen if FF can even make it out in 2008.

joshcryer said:
This is a theory that may have been brought up before, but are those 500k 360s isolated, or could they be part of the holiday sales? In other words, a kid begs their parent for a 360 (omgz Halo 3!!!11one), and they get it because the parent was going to get one anyway for the holidays. Could this impact 360 holiday sales if true?

Maybe...

But, I also thing the number is a bit inflated because of people like me who bought their second 360 simply because of the Halo 3 Special Edition 360 SKU who otherwise wouldn't have purchased a 360 during the month.

vpance

AstroLad said:
As usual, the use of the term "hardcore" has tripped us up (although for the record I am yoober-hardcore because import multiple titles and I'm importing a DS3 so yeah I'm pretty money)--as I was alluding to above the "hardcore" is just in reference to how well informed/obsessive/nerdy the person is about games in general, not specifically whether they are PS3 diehards.

Gotcha. I suppose my point is that the PS3 doesnt have a big dedicated hardcore base. Your example illustrates how bad the situation is, as even a hardcore gamer owning a PS3 doesn't purchase many games for it because of competition from other games and etc.

D O W N

Gadfly said:
What can they say that they pretty much didn't say last month? “We could have sold 2 million if we had shipped 2 million”?

Apparently, Reggie said this:

"The Wii went up against the self-proclaimed 'biggest entertainment launch ever' and we emerged with our biggest month of the year.

They have fired their bullet, and our gun is loaded and ready to fire throughout the Holiday season'.

It seems pretty obvious that Nintendo got some extra inventory into the channel for Sep, I imagine to rain on MS' Halo parade. It didn't quite work out- almost- so I was curious to see how they handled it.

You know, as a gaming device I think the PS3 is even more dead than people think. I'm sure if you did an analysis of attach rate you'd see that the PS3 userbase acts much smaller than it actually is. Essentially being the cheapest/best Blu-Ray player has masked just how abysmally the PS3 is doing as a GAME CONSOLE.

This would be an interesting analysis to take, but I don't have the numbers to do it myself, maybe someone else can? Do this: Find the attach rate of the PS2 at all points of its life (in a graph). This number will act as the standard of effective user base. So let's say at the same point in life the Wii has an attach rate 80% of the PS2's attach rate at the same time, then the Wii's effective userbase is 80% of its LTD sales.

Does this make sense?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
vpance said:
Gotcha. I suppose my point is that the PS3 doesnt have a big dedicated hardcore base. Your example illustrates how bad the situation is, as even a hardcore gamer owning a PS3 doesn't purchase many games for it because of competition from other games and etc.

Well it isn't a very complicated situation.

PS3, even at 400 dollars, is priced only for the hardcore.

The hardcore tend to own more than one system.

These owners tend to buy the better versions of third party games, and these have largely been on the 360.

You have cases like Orange Box, where the 360 gets it a few months ahead of the PS3, and you have cases like Call of Duty 3, where it's just better on the 360, technically, and even when you have parity between the two titles technically, like Sega Rally, the 360 version still has advantages (rumble, custom soundtracks, better online integration, etc.) that will probably skew in the 360's favor.

dr_rus

urk said:
And of course, Halo 3 sales are all dried up now. It was a good couple of weeks though, eh?
No they're not. But if selling 3,3M copies during release week shifted 'only' ~250k hardware units then it's most likely that any further Halo 3 sales won't help X360 sales.
October is PGR4 time though.

Gadfly

D O W N said:
Apparently, Reggie said this:

"The Wii went up against the self-proclaimed 'biggest entertainment launch ever' and we emerged with our biggest month of the year.

They have fired their bullet, and our gun is loaded and ready to fire throughout the Holiday season'.

It seems pretty obvious that Nintendo got some extra inventory into the channel for Sep, I imagine to rain on MS' Halo parade. It didn't quite work out- almost- so I was curious to see how they handled it.
Apparently week per week, they sold pretty much the same as the month before.

yes I think if they had managed to outsell 360, it would have been a small (PR wise) victory. But who needs more PR victories when they sell everything they build?

If 360 had not sold more than Wii, GAF (despite its collective prediction that 360 will not outsell Wii ), would be reeling in LOL @MS comments. Apparently that 20K extra to a degree made it a little harder to do so.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
dr_rus said:
No they're not. But if selling 3,3M copies during release week shifted 'only' ~250k hardware units then it's most likely that any further Halo 3 sales won't help X360 sales.
October is PGR4 time though.

I don't think so. First day/week sales for Halo 3 are likely to be more for people who already have the console. People who want to buy the console for Halo 3 would be more likely to buy later on, as part of the Christmas season. The Halo bump will continue until January, and as far as hardware goes, could end up stronger in October than in September.

Gadfly

siamesedreamer said:
:lol :lol :lol
Laugh all you want!

BTW, just in case you didn't know, I would be more than happy to see 360 sells more than PS3. :lol

Gadfly said:

Why do you keep comparing MSG to Halo? The MGS series saw their sales cut in half when going from MGS2-MGS3 yet when MGS3 released, the PS2 enjoyed a bigger install base.

Prine

Banned
So i wonder how much Halo 3 has sold WW.

Probably 5 million right now? Should easily do 10 - 11 million by the end of this gen WW. Good god Bungie.

3 games, with potentially over 28 million in sales. Damn

Top Bottom