• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

Holy Crap...

HALO 3: ODST (360; Sep-09) 1.52M
WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII; Jul-09) 442.9K
MADDEN NFL 10 (360; Aug-09) 289.6K
MARIO & LUIGI:BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY (NDS; Sep-09) 258.1K
THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (360; Sep-09) 254.0K
MADDEN NFL 10 (PS3; Aug-09) 246.5K
MARVEL:ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 2 (360; Sep-09) 236.0K
BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM* (PS3; Aug-09) 212.5K
GUITAR HERO 5* (360; Sep-09) 210.8K
THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (WII; Sep-09) 208.6K

Where is the 360 version of Batman: AA? The Riddler PS3 eclusive DLC worked in the end it seems.

Banned
vicissitudes said:
Incredible sales by the PS3. People have to remember that the price cut came on August 18th, and many retailers started selling the slim on the 25th. So this is technically the 2nd month of the $299 PS3. Not only did it CRUSH the 360 with a recent $100 price cut and freaking HALO coming out, but it destroyed the Wii's price cut month! Just a few months ago the Wii was beating the PS3 and 360 COMBINED. Who would have thought the PS3 would outsell the first Wii price cut ever??

:lol Then the 360 and PS3 are tied 1 to 1 in post PS3 price drop NPDs. Also, did I miss the 360 price drop? A year ago I could get a 360 for $199 and now I can still get one for $199. Where are the $99 360s at?

Elios83

AnIco said:
First, Sony had no big software released in October. Microsoft had a 1.5 million seller from the blockbuster Halo franchise, plus a $100 price cut, plus a $50 rebate on top of that. If anything, 350k seems rather low compared to what the Halo franchise used to pull. The YoY figures are also misleading since last year Microsoft had nothing released in September. Expect 360 sales to decline in October since Forza 3 will probably be a huge sales bust.

Of course it is clear that what Microsoft has done is not sufficient to keep up with Sony and Nintendo and they're at huge risk of finishing third place this year not only worldwide but in each market (US, Europe, Japan).
But probably Microsoft knows this all too well and they're prepared for that, if fact in the latest damage control by Greenberg it seems the message is that they expect to lose the holyday season but they don't care because they will still outsell the PS3 for the generation in the US and they hope to keep an annual lead in 2009 in NA (which is to say, they hope PS3 won't outsell them by a lot during the September/December period). Then next year they're betting on Natal.

BTW both PS3 and Wii did better than I expected.
October will be really interesting. Each console has a big software hit too, Uncharted for PS3, Forza for the 360 and Wii Fit for Wii so it will be a great battle. I think they'll be close in the order: Wii>PS3>360 but time will tell.
We're also gonna see if the Go has really bombed.

Stumpokapow said:
So, with absolutely no special NPD data and only using top 20 numbers that were officially released and pre-ban leaks, here's the history of Guitar Hero...

GH1 Month 1 38,500. (NPD, bundle only, from when we still got leaks) -- PS2 only, obviously
GH2 Month 1 356,000 (NPD, guitar bundle) + 142,000 (NPD, game only) = 498,000 -- PS2 only
GH Rocks the 80s, 339k (NPD, PS2 only, I don't think this was ever bundled?)
GH3 Month 1 1,278,100 (NPD, includes 360 w/ Guitar, Wii all sales, PS3 all sales, PS2 all sales. Missing 360 w/o Guitar)
GH On Tour - 422k (NPD, DS)
GH Aerosmith - 515k (NPD, missing PS3, rounded numbers, possibly missing some SKUs)
GH4 Month 1 534,000 (NPD, Includes whatever NPD game to MTV)
GH Metallica - 320k (NPD, missing PS2 which was <70k--did this come out on PS2, I think this number maybe be rounded)
GH Smash Hits - 120k (NPD, includes all four consoles, but I don't have a source listed for this so I'd assume this was a rounded number given out to some blog? Someone with actual NPD numbers)
GH5 Month 1 499,000 (NPD, includes whatever they gave Kohler)

So Guitar Hero is as small as it was when Guitar Hero 2 launched, except now it's on four times the platforms! Yahoo!

Yay milking!

Nice to see Mario and Luigi chart. Though, I have noticed more local advertising for it, than I had expected. I'm talking about an entire wall advertisement in the mall, and large street signs around downtown.

kinggroin

Banned
ODST @ 1.5mil? Good gravy....

Poor Wii software numbers, nice hardware though.

DS is business as usual

360 tearing the charts AND throwing up some decent hardware numbers. I think Microsoft's console impressed me most this month.

confused

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
So, with absolutely no special NPD data and only using top 20 numbers that were officially released and pre-ban leaks, here's the history of Guitar Hero...

GH1 Month 1 38,500. (NPD, bundle only, from when we still got leaks) -- PS2 only, obviously
GH2 Month 1 356,000 (NPD, guitar bundle) + 142,000 (NPD, game only) = 498,000 -- PS2 only
GH Rocks the 80s, 339k (NPD, PS2 only, I don't think this was ever bundled?)
GH3 Month 1 1,278,100 (NPD, includes 360 w/ Guitar, Wii all sales, PS3 all sales, PS2 all sales. Missing 360 w/o Guitar)
GH On Tour - 422k (NPD, DS)
GH Aerosmith - 515k (NPD, missing PS3, rounded numbers, possibly missing some SKUs)
GH4 Month 1 534,000 (NPD, Includes whatever NPD game to MTV)
GH Metallica - 320k (NPD, missing PS2 which was <70k--did this come out on PS2, I think this number maybe be rounded)
GH Smash Hits - 120k (NPD, includes all four consoles, but I don't have a source listed for this so I'd assume this was a rounded number given out to some blog? Someone with actual NPD numbers)
GH5 Month 1 499,000 (NPD, includes whatever they gave Kohler)

So Guitar Hero is as small as it was when Guitar Hero 2 launched, except now it's on four times the platforms! Yahoo!

But Guitar hero 2 was on Xbox360 also and did massive numbers if I recall right.

legend166

BattleMonkey said:
Yea looked, it was Jack Tretton that said it not ND. http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24199 Under the SCEA bar chart Tretton touting the game having done 2.6 mil and they point out the whole bundled thing of course.

Sorry, I misread you when you said ND. I thought it was a typo and you meant NPD, but you actually meant Naughty Dog :lol

Anyways yeah, heavy, heavy bundling got that game so high. Like it says in that link, it only did 500-750k in the US. That's why my expectations for the sequel, atleast in America, are a lot lower than others expect.

WretchedTruman said:
I do wonder if the 360's boost had anything to do with the halo effect. I mean, we're moving into the holidays. Could just be a natural uptake in sales as customers look towards the holidays.
It seems too early to see any significant holiday sales coming in yet.

Kard8p3

Does anyone know how well Kingdom Hearts did? Even if you can't give numbers at least say whether or not it did well.

boiled goose

good with gravy
kinggroin said:
ODST @ 1.5mil? Good gravy....

Poor Wii software numbers, nice hardware though.

DS is business as usual

360 tearing the charts AND throwing up some decent hardware numbers. I think Microsoft's console impressed me most this month.

Err what?
did you miss the top 10?
There will be plenty of the usual wii culprits in the top 20 as well...

AnIco said:
Elite dropped $100 this September and it had a $50 rebate on top of that too, not to mention a huge, huge seller like Halo.

360 will be down, YoY, next month. Count on it.

Doubt it.

Also the 360 didn't have a price drop. They just pulled a Sony.

imtehman

Banned
Opiate said:
As for the "losing money is bad" thing, I honestly believe Microsoft's greatest threat in the console realm is google. Not that Google will ever make a console -- they're far too practical to get in to this disgustingly unprofitable industry -- but they are certainly in a position to begin eating in to Microsoft marketshare in the Word Processing and perhaps even OS arenas.

And that, folks, is not something Microsoft would stand for. If Microsoft felt their Windows monopoly was threatened in any serious way, it would be an "all hands on deck" atmosphere. The 360 -- which has thus far enjoyed subsidization from Microsoft's more profitable ventures -- would be left to actually stand on its own two legs, I suspect.

you don't think they could now?

at the beginning of this generation it would be unfathom able to think that MS would do anything to be able to take away the stronghold that both Sony and Nintendo had garnered in past generations.

But through some sony fumbling and MS's ability to create and market some pretty nifty first and second party titles this gen (halo, gears, forza, fable), the XBL live thing, they are more than capable of standing on thier own two feet for next gen without the backing papa MS.

the only problem MS will have is if they will again try to nickle and dime users with their rechargable batteries and 100 dollar adapters.

Kard8p3 said:
Does anyone know how well Kingdom Hearts did? Even if you can't give numbers at least say whether or not it did well.

I'm sure it charted in the Top 20. We should get a confirmation as soon as the Top 20 is released.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
confused said:
But Guitar hero 2 was on Xbox360 also and did massive numbers if I recall right.

Yes. I did not include the later GH2 launch on Xbox 360. It launched at 197k. I will edit that back in to reflect it. This makes GH5 substantially smaller than GH2 despite being on double the platforms.

legend166 said:
Sorry, I misread you when you said ND. I thought it was a typo and you meant NPD, but you actually meant Naughty Dog :lol

Anyways yeah, heavy, heavy bundling got that game so high. Like it says in that link, it only did 500-750k in the US. That's why my expectations for the sequel, atleast in America, are a lot lower than others expect.

Well it charted long time on the Euro charts though not highly placed it did hang around and did eventually get greatest hits release over there while back. I think it did fairly well on it's own worldwide with the bundles really pushing it up to almost 3.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
AnIco said:
It's over for Microsoft, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of the 360's hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for 360. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a 360. Except if they want to play Bungie's titles. Which will also come to the PS3 anyway once their Halo contract is up at some point.

The age of Microsoft in the US is done.
GO HOME SONY TROLL!! YOU GIVE SONY FANS A BAD NAME.

legend166

BattleMonkey said:
Well it charted long time on the Euro charts though not highly placed it did hang around and did eventually get greatest hits release over there while back. I think it did fairly well on it's own worldwide with the bundles really pushing it up to almost 3.

The Euro charts count bundles though, don't they?

AnIco said:
It's over for Microsoft, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of the 360's hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for 360. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a 360. Except if they want to play Bungie's titles. Which will also come to the PS3 anyway once their Halo contract is up at some point.

The age of Microsoft in the US is done.

LITERALLY huh?

I bet it's IRONIC too, hmm?

CTLance

Good Lord. I fear the day when a Mod finally snaps and simply decides to tazer all of us. It will come. I'm sure of it.
xcoimb.jpg

GPsych

Elios83 said:
Of course it is clear that what Microsoft has done is not sufficient to keep up with Sony and Nintendo and they're at huge risk of finishing third place this year not only worldwide but in each market (US, Europe, Japan).
But probably Microsoft knows this all too well and they're prepared for that, if fact in the latest damage control by Greenberg it seems the message is that they expect to lose the holyday season but they don't care because they will still outsell the PS3 for the generation in the US and they hope to keep an annual lead in 2009 in NA (which is to say, they hope PS3 won't outsell them by a lot during the September/December period). Then next year they're betting on Natal.

October will be really interesting. Each console has a big software hit too, Uncharted for PS3, Forza for the 360 and Wii Fit for Wii so it will be a great battle. I think they'll be close in the order: Wii>PS3>360 but time will tell.

:lol The U.S.? Really?

confused

Banned
legend166 said:
The Euro charts count bundles though, don't they?

Yes they do, and most of uncharted's numbers in EU probably come from that bundle. Not wanting to bring Uncharted down, but I don't know a lot of PS3 owners around here that knew what Uncharted was until everyone started splooging all over the sequel.

AnIco

Elios83 said:

This is true. I think Microsoft is pretty content with their ongoing 3rd place position now globally. There's really nothing they can do about it, so they might as well just suck it up. Price cuts won't save it.

Natal has a chance. That's really their only hope. They're banking the next 4+ years on NATAL, which is a pretty risky move...one that paid off for Nintendo, and one that Microsoft looks at in envy.

I think NATAL is going to be a pretty epic failure though. RARE is apparently creating the bulk of the initial software for it, and every single Rare title this gen has been a huge sales bomb and hasn't managed to be popular with a broader demographic. I don't expect NATAL to change their fortunes. I also don't ever see the Xbox 360 as being a 'casual' machine catering to people other than the ~12-16 year old male demographic.

confused

Banned
Mrbob said:
I'm surprised people are shocked at ODST selling 1.52 million. Halo 3 did 3.2 million its first month.

Halo 3 was the first Halo for Next Gen. plenty of people were waiting for years for that game. ODST not so much.

Mrbob said:
I'm surprised people are shocked at ODST selling 1.52 million. Halo 3 did 3.2 million its first month.

I'd like to know what Microsoft's and Bungie's stretch-goals were for sales when it came to ODST.

I'm wondering if they expected Halo 3 numbers?

Mrbob said:
I'm not shocked by that.

I'm shocked by the 360 Halobump. I figured they'd gotten all Halobumps out long ago..

Opiate

imtehman said:
you don't think they could now?

at the beginning of this generation it would be unfathom able to think that MS would do anything to be able to take away the stronghold that both Sony and Nintendo had garnered in past generations.

But through some sony fumbling and MS's ability to create and market some pretty nifty first and second party titles this gen (halo, gears, forza, fable), the XBL live thing, they are more than capable of standing on thier own two feet for next gen without the backing papa MS.

the only problem MS will have is if they will again try to nickle and dime users with their rechargable batteries and 100 dollar adapters.

No, I don't. The 360 has lost ~2.5 billion overall, and has continued to bleed ~200 million in the last 6 months. (up through June. I expect them to lose money again July-Sep, but make money Oct-Dec).

I mean, Microsoft's system might be self sustaining if it started in the flush of its life, and avoided all those massive losses associated with the launch of a new system. But as it is, MS lost ~2.5 billion (2.5 billion dollars!) in the first two years of the system's life, and have struggled since just to break even* -- this during the system's prime, when it's supposed to be recouping the losses it accrued to start with.

So if Microsoft avoids those massive up front losses (a feat that no company has ever avoided save Nintendo), then possibly. But otherwise, no, I don't think they've accomplished that feat yet.

* To be specific, I have Microsoft's E&D division up ~350 million dollars over the course of the last 6 quarters. That's a net profit of ~58 million per quarter, which is an extremely small profit margin. And to make matters worse, they've actually lost money over the last 6 months, so the very recent past has seen MS losing money.

bigdaddygamebot said:
I'd like to know what Microsoft's and Bungie's stretch-goals were for sales when it came to ODST.

I'm wondering if they expected Halo 3 numbers?

I highly doubt it, they didn't put a 50 million marketing blitz behind ODST like they did Halo 3. They also know what the preorder numbers looked like, they would know the general hype for the game.

LCfiner

AnIco said:
This is true. I think Microsoft is pretty content with their ongoing 3rd place position now globally. There's really nothing they can do about it, so they might as well just suck it up. Price cuts won't save it.

Natal has a chance. That's really their only hope. They're banking the next 4+ years on NATAL, which is a pretty risky move...one that paid off for Nintendo, and one that Microsoft looks at in envy.

I think NATAL is going to be a pretty epic failure though. RARE is apparently creating the bulk of the initial software for it, and every single Rare title this gen has been a huge sales bomb and hasn't managed to be popular with a broader demographic. I don't expect NATAL to change their fortunes. I also don't ever see the Xbox 360 as being a 'casual' machine catering to people other than the ~12-16 year old male demographic.

ooh, you’re good :lol

confused

Banned
AnIco said:

I disagree. I believe that Rare will finally find it's place under MS' wing and Natal is meant to expand the 360 demographic to actually reach out to Rare's demographic. Could turn out to be next years runaway hit.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Who gives a shit about hardware, BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY CHARTED!!! Hurrah for good games being given their due!

confused

Banned
Opiate said:
No, I don't. The 360 has lost ~2.5 billion overall, and has continued to bleed ~200 million in the last 6 months. (up through June. I expect them to lose money again July-Sep, but make money Oct-Dec).

I mean, Microsoft's system might be self sustaining if it started in the flush of its life, and avoided all those massive losses associated with the launch of a new system. But as it is, MS lost ~2 billion (2 billion dollars!) in the first two years of the system's life, and have struggled since just to break even -- this during the system's prime, when it's supposed to be recouping the losses it accrued to start with.

So if Microsoft avoids those massive up front losses (a feat that no company has ever avoided save Nintendo), then possibly. But otherwise, no, I don't think they've accomplished that feat yet.

Of which 1 billion was to subsidize RROD's. Microsoft managed to do what almost everybody thought was impossible and that is stand toe to toe with Sony. MS has done what was needed to get a foot in the door, they are going to make a killing next-gen

BattleMonkey said:
I highly doubt it, they didn't put a 50 million marketing blitz behind ODST like they did Halo 3. They also know what the preorder numbers looked like, they would know the general hype for the game.

Look at you using logic and reason...ableness.

I work for a fairly large corporation, not as big as MS but I notice similarities in leadership structure and typical corporate boobery.

We're more than capable of wildly over-estimating things at times and I can't help but wonder if a few execs at Microsoft are getting their power point presentations together to cover their asses regarding their over-inflated projections.

Although you might be right and maybe reason did reign. Gives one a little bit of hope it does.

CTLance said:
Good Lord. I fear the day when a Mod finally snaps and simply decides to tazer all of us. It will come. I'm sure of it.
xcoimb.jpg

I would have thought that you've been around long enough to see a couple massive bannings. The biggest one I personally witnessed was the MGS4 PA strip. I think that was 16 accounts.

Anyways. This month is good news for all. My two biggest questions now are:

1.Are sales going to be up again in Oct because of the holiday ramp up, or are things going to dive because the price drop/sku launches have come and gone?

2. Will Demon's Souls chart well? Cause it really, really, should. I can't say I've ever rooted for a game saleswise, but this game is sooo good and it performed sooo poorly in Japan. They dragged their feet getting this game to NA shores and I really want it to pay off for the developer and publisher

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
OK...I thought it was obvious but I must admit: AnIco did one hell of a job. People are still arguing with his first post.

Top Bottom