• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

Too bad we don't get breakdown on music skus. How high a percentage of BRB buyers picked up the 250 dollar sku? How many got the RB2+BRB bundle for 180 or whatever? How many bought just the game @ 59 bucks?

Assuming all of the purchases were the 59$ sku, that's 35 million in revenue, US only. If ten million was the licensing cost, once you factor in worldwide sales, it's probably a profitable venture.

And the revenue figure slides upward of course if you assume 10-20% of the buyers bought the big 250 dollar sku. Sure it's not as successful as other GH games, but it's probably a nice little money maker. Don't forget all the beatles DLC albums on the way either.

Taurus

perfectchaos007 said:
So where does Wii and PS3 go from here? Only God knows.
If you mean next NPD, PS3 drops to about 300k, Wii rises to 550k+.

Any other questions? (I'm not God btw)

pakkit

Banned
timetokill said:
So comparing to GAF expectations....

Console Actual :: Units Compare (Percentage of expectations)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS2 146.0K :: +36.0k (+32.7% beyond expectations)
PS3 491.8K :: +72.8k (+17.3% beyond expectations)
PSP 190.4K :: +23.4k (+14.0% beyond expectations)
360 352.6K :: +58.6k (+19.9% beyond expectations)
WII 462.8K :: +94.8k (+25.7% beyond expectations)
NDS 524.2K :: +99.8k (+19.0% beyond expectations)

So we can see why people might say PS3 "didn't do as well as they expected" even though EVERY platform did better than expected
Most of the results are about +20% which is expected because the NPD got an extra week.

ZoddGutts

EviLore said:
Data care of NPD Group
Reporting Period: 8/30/09 through 10/03/09

PlayStation 3 491.8K

Xbox 360 352.6K
Wii 462.8K

Nice it did better than expected. Not maybe people thought it would outsell the Wii but it did, some said it wouldn't be more than 100k apart from the 360 they were wrong, some even thought that OSDT would help the 360 outsell heh. Still nice to see "PS3 could have done better" posts. :lol

ShockingAlberto said:
Microsoft isn't dead.

They're just, like, a 20-something living with their parents and totally unmotivated to ever do anything. They coast through school, but won't look for a job, and think everything will be better next year.

:lol

Parl

charlequin said:
There's just not much doom to spread around this month, the only system that did shitty was the PSP (and hoo boy did it do shitty.)
Everybody was waiting for Go.

Count Dookkake said:
The difference from the usual version of that meme being that October NPD actually does have a very high chance of delivering on that wait.
Indeed, whilst the results on this one was expected, I don't know what will be the most realistic scenario:

- PS3 going back down to 3rd place.
- PS3 going down to 2nd place.

3rd place will deliver the most drama though heh. Or a shock second wii defeat.

drama.jpg

Zophar said:
February to September is 7 months.

I'm thinking of till today not September, and since it came out mid Feb and it's mid Oct now, it's about almost 9 months.

Still no one knows the LTD of KZ2, we just know it past 1 million around a month after release but heard nothing of it since. Course Uncharted was not a chart buster yet it's LTD apparently had reached 2.6 mil according to ND.

Barrett2

Y2Kev said:
I think music games are seriously fucked.

One things for sure; if you can just exercise a little patience, there will be crazy good deals mid January. I expect to wander through Best Buy the last week of January and walk out with a PSP Go, DJ Hero, Borderlands, GH5, etc... all for a profanely low price.

Tiktaalik

Re: Rockband Beatles: There's still Xmas. With expanded audience appeal, family appeal and the bigger price point, this is certainly the sort of game that could be a family gift around Xmas time. We might see this title have surprising legs.

operon

Where the hell are called the called it gifs, we're 10 pages into thread.
so for everyone else missing them.............

called.gif

AniHawk

I have numbers.

I have lots of numbers.

Oh the numbers I have, like five, twenty-seven, and one hundred and ninety-two thousand, five hundred and one.

Opiate

DangerousDave said:
Well, is not the same a game of the "Main Saga", that a specific band game (even if the band is Beatles). We should compare the units with GH Metallica, for example.

I'm going to have to disagree with this pretty strongly. Rock Band: Beatles isn't literally called Rock Band 3, but I'd argue that, for all practical purposes, that's exactly what it is. The fact that Rock Band outsold Guitar Hero for the first when it has historically been trounced by it is evidence of this.

And there is an enormous difference between a Metallica game and a Beatles one. The Beatles have sold somewhere on the order of 10x as many records as Metallica has.

Hiltz

Sony's improving well and it is about time. Good job. The PS3 commercials have gotten better and Sony's done well to make sure people are aware of the price drop.

I still think the Wii's performance last month was quite good when its price drop only counted for a couple of days left in September. Nintendo could have done better if it had advertised the Wii's price cut though.

Microsoft's performance has been rather pitiful despite a price drop. For what its worth, Microsoft has also done well with promoting the 360's price drop.

elrechazao said:
Assuming all of the purchases were the 59$ sku, that's 35 million in revenue, US only. If ten million was the licensing cost, once you factor in worldwide sales, it's probably a profitable venture.

Don't forget that $10 million is the licening fee for zero copies, and it scales up from there. Then think about what the marketing budget for this game was like.

confused

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
I'm thinking of till today not September, and since it came out mid Feb and it's mid Oct now, it's about almost 9 months.

Still no one knows the LTD of KZ2, we just know it past 1 million around a month after release but heard nothing of it since. Course Uncharted was not a chart buster yet it's LTD apparently had reached 2.6 mil according to ND.

Wow, slow burner. I would have never expected it. Wait, actually I would have seen as SCEE bundled it in with a lot of PS3's last year.

nib95

Banned
WinFonda said:
When you can't even get that one data point correct with the numbers right in front of you, why should anyone believe you on the rest?

OrigJake78 having a screw loose or two up there isn't exactly news. There's actually quite a few "characters" in this thread from both sides. At least their bumbling mindless and unfounded antics are entertaining to watch.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Beatles did REALLY poorly. I was expecting it to be right behind ODST in overall sales. Music games have fell hard in the past year, no thanks to Activision's milking of the genre.

AnIco

BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm pretty amazed they still managed YoY growth. That puts a lot of ideas about PS3 eating into 360 sales to rest. Could be that we really just end up with three healthy console ecosystems. Nirvana.

Oop! I mean The Beatles! Sorry, TheGreatDave!

;D

It does not put any ideas of PS3 eating into 360 sales to rest.

First, Sony had no big software released in October. Microsoft had a 1.5 million seller from the blockbuster Halo franchise, plus a $100 price cut, plus a $50 rebate on top of that. If anything, 350k seems rather low compared to what the Halo franchise used to pull. The YoY figures are also misleading since last year Microsoft had nothing released in September. Expect 360 sales to decline in October since Forza 3 will probably be a huge sales bust.

Even assuming Sony and Microsoft sell roughly even going forward in the US, Sony will easily cut into 360's WW lead when taking into account Europe and Japan. Microsoft relied on beating the PS3 by large margins in the US in order to just stay even on a worldwide basis.

Next month (heck, the rest of this year AND next) is going to be fun for Jtyettis, Keikoku & crew, can't wait!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OrigJake78 said:
Isnt' that what GAF does every single month?

By their own admission NPD sales only cover 60% of the market. So this is all speculation.

NPD doesn't even cover Walmart. Aka, the biggest retailer in the world.

(In b4 claims that NPD estimates WM sales)
you bout to get owned

Guy Legend said:
Wow, Madden PS3 close to Madden XB360. And Batman PS3 charts, XB360 version doesn't.

Great month for Sony.

You'll see this when large exclusives are released. For instance, watch sales of third party PS3 games drop like a rock the month Uncharted 2 is released. Console owners will almost always go for the big named exclusive over the third party multiplatform.

jim-jam bongs said:
Your big mistake was opening with a post that was full of fiction. Although your argument is correct in my opinion, you destroyed your own credibility before you had even established it.

Point out exactly where I did that.

Was it when I said the PS3 was outsold by the Wii and the 360 for the past 13 months? Nope, that was true. You can verify those facts for yourself.

Was it when I said the PS3 is losing $108 per unit? Well, even Sony admits they are losing money. And the article I quoted was written by a long time GAF favorite.

Maybe the "fiction" came when I mentioned that PS3 losses are more than PS2 earnings? Probably not though as that has been mentioned on NeoGAF several times.

Was it the ODST comment? It is a glorified expansion pack.

Is this about the Killzone 2 sales? Well ODST did sell more in 1 week than KZ2 sold in 9 months.

Was it the Batman comment? I think its pretty safe to assume that cool, exclusive content gave the PS3 version a healthy boost. I'm multiconsole and that's the version I bought.

Was it the "Now with new hat comment?" I'm pretty sure that a small number of PS3 Slim sales came from people who already owned the OG PS3.

Sadist

AniHawk said:
I have numbers.

I have lots of numbers.

Oh the numbers I have, like five, twenty-seven, and one hundred and ninety-two thousand, five hundred and one.
Hugo Reyes has them too.

devilhawk

The PS3 number by itself is good. When relation to the Wii, it is quite underwhelming as this was suppose to be the month. I foresee a return to normal next month as far as the Wii and PS3 are related.

The interesting part should be the fight between PS3 and 360 in the coming months. The consoles are fairly entrenched for the generation now. The 360 and PS3 flip flopping may not truly matter or amount to much overall. Likely just momentum for the next consoles.

Wait till Natal/Ball controller NPD?

gimmmick

Yet sony hasn't yet released it's true system sellar. (I know as hell waiting to get me a ps3 when gran turismo 5 releases).

Good job with the price drop. Hopefully it will give sony momentum going into the holiday season.

Anyone else surprised to see how good the new batman is doing on the ps3?

And as always, the halo franchise doesn't seem to push unites but does amazingly well with software sales.

LCfiner

confused said:
Still wanting to know how well previous RockBands and guitar heroes did compared to Beatles.

here, after some googling

rock band 1 launch month numbers

As it turned out, Rock Band performed surprisingly well in its first few weeks on the market, according to the NPD Group, selling 296,000 copies on Xbox 360 and 68,500 copies on PS3, making for 364,500 copies combined.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165109

rock band 2 launch month numbers

“Rock Band 2” debuts exclusively on Xbox 360

· Since its U.S. launch on Sept. 14, “Rock Band 2” on the Xbox 360 sold 363,000 copies in September, making it September’s #3 selling game.

http://kotaku.com/5064822/microsoft-responds-to-september-npd-sales-seems-pleased

RB:Beatles on the 3 platforms sold more than the first two games in the first month. But it definitely wasn’t an explosive sale.

I do, however, expect long legs for this one, especially on the Wii.

TheKurgan

Glad to see the HD consoles catching up to the Wii. Also really nice to see Sony win a month for a change. It makes these threads way more entertaining when fan boys from both sides can go at it. :lol

confused said:
Wow, slow burner. I would have never expected it. Wait, actually I would have seen as SCEE bundled it in with a lot of PS3's last year.

bundled games get a bit fruity with the numbers, like forza 2.

Nice numbers for Ps3. It's really hard not to find the package appealing. Blu-Ray, good storage space, free online, and the exclusives are really starting to build up. I don't have one now but there's no question that i'll have one by this time next year.

Keikoku

Banned
AnIco said:
It does not put any ideas of PS3 eating into 360 sales to rest.

First, Sony had no big software released in October. Microsoft had a 1.5 million seller from the blockbuster Halo franchise, plus a $100 price cut, plus a $50 rebate on top of that. If anything, 350k seems rather low compared to what the Halo franchise used to pull. The YoY figures are also misleading since last year Microsoft had nothing released in September. Expect 360 sales to decline in October since Forza 3 will probably be a huge sales bust.

Even assuming Sony and Microsoft sell roughly even going forward in the US, Sony will easily cut into 360's WW lead when taking into account Europe and Japan. Microsoft relied on beating the PS3 by large margins in the US in order to just stay even on a worldwide basis.

Next month (heck, the rest of this year AND next) is going to be fun for Jtyettis, Keikoku & crew, can't wait!

Er, why me ? I'm not saying that the PS3 won't be ahead of the 360 next month, just saying that the gap will be smallest than this month. And btw, every one who wanted a 360 for Halo already bought it back in 2007. Honestly, I'm not seeing any HUGE system sellers on both sides this year. Maybe MW2. Next system seller is probably GT5.

Bricfa

CadetMahoney said:
Indeed, whilst the results on this one was expected, I don't know what will be the most realistic scenario:

- PS3 going back down to 3rd place.
- PS3 going down to 2nd place.

3rd place will deliver the most drama though heh. Or a shock second wii defeat.

drama.jpg

Actually I think only down to second would generate more heat. Your Xbox people will be crying because they are being beaten, and the Ps3 folk will be filled with false hope of the Ps3's return to glory. Ps3 being in last place has become boring, and so going back to third wouldn't really cause that much drama.

Top Bottom