• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
I have numbers.

I have lots of numbers.

Oh the numbers I have, like five, twenty-seven, and one hundred and ninety-two thousand, five hundred and one.

2v1tap2.jpg

That's numberwang!

Zophar

gimmmick said:
And as always, the halo franchise doesn't seem to push unites but does amazingly well with software sales.
It does, it just does it months and months ahead of the game's release. Millions of people have bought Xboxes for the promise of Halo.

gofreak said:
Only 5-6k up on last year. I wouldn't consider that to be a notable uptick, I'd consider it to be fairly flat YoY. It's better value this year and at a point in its life where under normal circumstances a console should be selling more YoY anyway (although I accept that this gen hasn't really seen normal circumstances in a lot of ways in terms of lifecycle progress).

Is this actually true? I would like to hear from sales agers who actually know about this. How many consoles in the past have actually been on an upwards trend at the end of their 4th year? Especially for consoles not in first.

confused

Banned
LCfiner said:
here, after some googling

rock band 1 launch month numbers

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165109

rock band 2 launch month numbers

http://kotaku.com/5064822/microsoft-responds-to-september-npd-sales-seems-pleased

RB:Beatles on the 3 platforms sold more than the first two games in the first month. But it definitely wasn’t an explosive sale.

I do, however, expect long legs for this one, especially on the Wii.

Thank you very much. Thatis what I wanted to know. Beatles did better numbers than previous installments in the series and can therefor be considered a succes. That is what I wanted to know.

AniHawk said:
I have numbers.

I have lots of numbers.

Oh the numbers I have, like five, twenty-seven, and one hundred and ninety-two thousand, five hundred and one.
Be careful caring big numbers like that.

They can break your brainspine.

LCfiner said:
here, after some googling

rock band 1 launch month numbers

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165109

rock band 2 launch month numbers

http://kotaku.com/5064822/microsoft-responds-to-september-npd-sales-seems-pleased

RB:Beatles on the 3 platforms sold more than the first two games in the first month. But it definitely wasn’t an explosive sale.

I do, however, expect long legs for this one, especially on the Wii.

Those RB and RB2 numbers don't include the Wii version.

edit: Forget it, I can't read.

operon

So is the ban count at one so far.

well its 00:46 BST here so I'm heading to bed ready to get up for work join ye all l8r.

GDGF said:
Same here. I figured it would have like a 100k lead on the Wii or something.
You guys are loony. Analysts were expecting the PS3 to squeak by the 360 with a lead of <20k.
weird state of affairs when Gaf is actually over-estimating the PS3's sales potential.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Ten pages and no charts :-(, I'm disappointed tbh.

Most surprising thing for me this month is PS2 sales and Batman AA, can't beleive the 360 version didn't chart this month, like others has said I can only imagine that it was a popular title to grab with your Slim like I also did.

legend166

BattleMonkey said:
I'm thinking of till today not September, and since it came out mid Feb and it's mid Oct now, it's about almost 9 months.

Still no one knows the LTD of KZ2, we just know it past 1 million around a month after release but heard nothing of it since. Course Uncharted was not a chart buster yet it's LTD apparently had reached 2.6 mil according to ND.

Do you have a source for that?

In terms of opening numbers for Rock Band: It's a bit of a pain to do comparisons, because of the complete retardation of the release schedule.

If you add the opening months for Rock Band 2 on the 360, PS3, and Wii you get 631 600.

Sadist said:
OrigJake78
Banned
(Today, 11:41 PM)
Reply | Quote

That didn't take long.

Well, he was really asking for this. In his small 24 post history we can see that only repeats the same arguments... in different threads.

Incredible sales by the PS3. People have to remember that the price cut came on August 18th, and many retailers started selling the slim on the 25th. So this is technically the 2nd month of the $299 PS3. Not only did it CRUSH the 360 with a recent $100 price cut and freaking HALO coming out, but it destroyed the Wii's price cut month! Just a few months ago the Wii was beating the PS3 and 360 COMBINED. Who would have thought the PS3 would outsell the first Wii price cut ever??

lowrider007 said:
Ten pages and no charts :-(, I'm disappointed tbh.

Most surprising thing for me this month is PS2 sales and Batman AA, can't beleive the 360 version didn't chart this month, like others has said I can only imagine that it was a popular title to grab with your Slim like I also did.

I wonder if even people with the 360 version would double-dip when they picked up a Slim too? If you wanted the DLC I could see it happening. The good news for Rocksteady just keeps on coming if true.

WretchedTruman said:
You guys are loony. Analysts were expecting the PS3 to squeak by the 360 with a lead of <20k.
weird state of affairs when Gaf is actually over-estimating the PS3's sales potential.
I thought the PS3 was going to outsell the Wii by 60,000 units. It was only by 30,000. :(

I also thought the PS3 was going to outsell the 360 by 200,000 units. Halo surprises me again. I didn't think it would do much of anything for it.

vicissitudes said:
Incredible sales by the PS3. People have to remember that the price cut came on August 18th, and many retailers started selling the slim on the 25th. So this is technically the 2nd month of the $299 PS3. Not only did it CRUSH the 360 with a recent $100 price cut and freaking HALO coming out, but it destroyed the Wii's price cut month! Just a few months ago the Wii was beating the PS3 and 360 COMBINED. Who would have thought the PS3 would outsell the first Wii price cut ever??

Think to yourself about when the Wii's price cut came, and how much of a price cut it was.

Then repent.

Rlan

It's nice to see all the games get past 200K in the Top 10. last month's drop to below 100K for the 10th title was pretty sad.

No XBLA game to beat this month - by our estimates the top XBLA game probably didn't beat 140K:

xblasepttotal09.png

boiled goose

good with gravy
kinda boring month...

biggest surprise was how high wii is. next month should be interesting. top 10 is uneventful except for mario and luigi being so high. top 20 will be boring and filled with the expected culprits.

cant wait to here for bomba numbers for spyborgs. from $50 to $20 dollars in weeks is not a good sign. other games bomba games at least drop to $40 first.

DangerousDave said:
Well, he was really asking for this. In his small 24 post history we can see that only repeats the same arguments... in different threads.

Again, I personally don't think his argument was entirely baseless. Relevant to this thread though? Not really. We're discussing sales trends, not the financial stability or otherwise of Sony.

legend166

vicissitudes said:

Dude.

Dude.

Zzoram

Son of Godzilla said:
Can we get a clarification of how NPD tracks online sales? I know someone who wants to order a slim and I want to make sure it gets counted.

They get data from Amazon

Banned
AnIco said:
The YoY figures are also misleading since last year Microsoft had nothing released in September. Expect 360 sales to decline in October since Forza 3 will probably be a huge sales bust.

360 dropped the Arcade price to $199 last September. To be up YOY is a big surprise to me.

vicissitudes said:

Remember, only 4 days of Wii price-cut...

Rlan said:
It's nice to see all the games get past 200K in the Top 10. last month's drop to below 100K for the 10th title was pretty sad.

No XBLA game to beat this month - by our estimates the top XBLA game probably didn't beat 140K:

xblasepttotal09.png

Finally bought Trials HD last night. The trial was sitting there since launch, waiting for me to drop points on it.

So last night I said fuck it, and bought.

What a game. AWESOME.

jett

D-Member
Son of Godzilla said:
Can we get a clarification of how NPD tracks online sales? I know someone who wants to order a slim and I want to make sure it gets counted.

:lol wat

NPD probably doesn't track online sales, how could they. I'm sure they extrapolate them...tbh I find NPD sales numbers misleading as people use as them as the definitive, factual and final sales numbers of video games when they're so far off from that.

Thunder Monkey said:
I also thought the PS3 was going to outsell the 360 by 200,000 units. Halo surprises me again. I didn't think it would do much of anything for it.
I do wonder if the 360's boost had anything to do with the halo effect. I mean, we're moving into the holidays. Could just be a natural uptake in sales as customers look towards the holidays.

Mindlog

vicissitudes said:

You have to admit it's really amusing how convenient end of month release dates are. It's like an Ace, it can be played either high or low.

It's like 'marketing.' When things are good it's objectively great, when things are average it's objectively terrible.

AnIco

Karma said:
360 dropped the Arcade price to $199 last September. To be up YOY is a big surprise to me.

Elite dropped $100 this September and it had a $50 rebate on top of that too, not to mention a huge, huge seller like Halo.

360 will be down, YoY, next month. Count on it.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Son of Godzilla said:

I hope you are fucking joking...

too pathetic to be real, but who knows...

jett said:

NPD probably doesn't track online sales, how could they. I'm sure they extrapolate them...tbh I find NPD sales numbers misleading as people use as them as the definitive, factual and final sales numbers of video games when they're so far off from that.

If that's the case, how can NPD still keep selling these numbers to corporate customers?

Tom Penny

The PS3 will start to level off. Good for now though. Wii is going to go nuts again after the price drop. 350 for the X360 is really good also.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, with absolutely no special NPD data and only using top 20 numbers that were officially released and pre-ban leaks, here's the history of Guitar Hero...

GH1 Month 1 38,500. (NPD, bundle only, from when we still got leaks) -- PS2 only, obviously
GH2 Month 1 356,000 (NPD, guitar bundle) + 142,000 (NPD, game only) = 498,000 -- PS2 only--launched later on 360 for 197k month one (totals 695k month one launches)
GH Rocks the 80s, 339k (NPD, PS2 only, I don't think this was ever bundled?)
GH3 Month 1 1,278,100 (NPD, includes 360 w/ Guitar, Wii all sales, PS3 all sales, PS2 all sales. Missing 360 w/o Guitar)
GH On Tour - 422k (NPD, DS)
GH Aerosmith - 515k (NPD, missing PS3, rounded numbers, possibly missing some SKUs)
GH4 Month 1 534,000 (NPD, Includes whatever NPD game to MTV)
GH Metallica - 320k (NPD, missing PS2 which was <70k--did this come out on PS2, I think this number maybe be rounded)
GH Smash Hits - 120k (NPD, includes all four consoles, but I don't have a source listed for this so I'd assume this was a rounded number given out to some blog? Someone with actual NPD numbers. This was not top 20, so I'd really feel better if someone backed me up on this one.)
GH5 Month 1 499,000 (NPD, includes whatever they gave Kohler)

So Guitar Hero is as small as it was when Guitar Hero 2 launched, except now it's on four times the platforms! Yahoo!

Rock Band - 382k, missing Wii and PS2 because both launched later. Wii Rock band was 6 months later and launched to ~200k (#12 in top twenty, but missing some numbers from that top 20). So 382k or 582k depending on how you count.
Rock Band 2 - 363k on 360, I think Rock Band 2 launched to about 100k on PS3 a month later, no idea about PS2.

Rock Band, thus, is probably somewhere around the same size as the other two installments so far.

Cipherr

DevelopmentArrested said:
I love how Rock Band fans shit all over the milking of the Guitar Hero series.. irony much? As if there won't be a Rolling Stones RB, Led Zep RB, Rock Band 3, Lego Rock Band 2, etc etc. Let's just be done with the whole fucking franchise.. the same game repackaged over and over and over again.

People are glad GH is bombing because of the guy at the helm of Activision, your missing the point and bitching about it.

Plinko said:
Release Date: October 4

NPD through October 3

Originally Posted by AniHawk:

poppabk said:
I hope the Wii sales of RB and GH are lackluster for the rest of the year. The $10 HD tax the Wii versions picked up this year is annoying. Way to kill the golden goose Activision.

WOW did they really do that? Add the 10$ back onto the Wii SKU's? LMAO!

jett said:

NPD does track some online retailers like Amazon and more I believe.

Top Bottom