• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

operon

Mama Robotnik said:
And low and behold, I present next months too.

npdmaskepilogue.gif
You are spoiling us tonight, making this thread more friendly for non sony boys and some dubious posters who obviously have been indulging in mind altering illegal narcotics.

CadetMahoney said:
However, not only has slim stopped the 13 month losing streak, but hasn't Batman also the first multi game the PS3 has come out on top of the 360 version for the entire year so far?

It also contains exclusive content. So you're not exactly comparing the sales of the same product on both systems.

Next month will prove whether the spike is sustainable but I have my money on 'No, it's not." if Japan is any indication.

Talamius

Good for Sony (and frankly all 3, the industry needed a shot in the arm).

The holiday season will tell the real story. If Sony can maintain it's momentum through the holidays, then it'll be really interesting to see how Nintendo and Microsoft play things from here.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Much better PS3 number than I expected...nearly twice the 80k difference with 360 that was being thrown around as a possibility in the prior thread.

Putting it into perspective, the difference between 360 and PS3 this month is greater than any non-Q4 lead the 360 has had since Halo 3 launched in 07...over twice the PS3's number's last Oct. Interesting also that it's also about 140k over the 360's number for last Oct too i.e. 360 sales are about the same as last year. So achieving that lead without a drop in 360 sales is pretty good going IMO.

Here's my predictions for yesterday, let's see how I did :lol

elrechazao said:
People pretending that nobody expected that
Dozens of pages of people claiming credit for "calling" what we've known for ages now
People proclaiming the death of the wii
People proclaiming the death of the 360
People claiming that the margin of victory is incredibly significant/insignificant
Guitar Hero fans pointing and laughing at the beatles or vice versa

Then people arguing the opposite of each of these arguments with the people who make them, over and over for pages.

It'll at least be better than the last 5-6 boring as hell npd days

:lol

matmanx1

Dear God at the 500 errors! Seems like this NPD is causing a little stir around these parts!:lol

Much better numbers for PS3 than I was expecting. Wonder what October will look like though?

Software was a little lower than I was expecting outside of Halo 3 though. Still, pretty strong month for the industry overall. And great .gif, Mama Robotnik. You deliver, as always!

1) Good job Sony. Uncharted 2 charting high next month would be the icing on the cake for them.

2) Batman charted on PS3 and not 360 because of ODST...remember this people before you go nuts about it, 1.5 million xbots bought a game this month and probably didn't buy anything else with it.

3) FUCK Kotick. I hope GH continues to get outsold by RB. I don't even like music games but I can't stand Activision.

4) Halo is still a beast...However, I hope MS releases REACH, and lays off of it for the rest of the gen. They are milking but it's not too bad yet (Wars was a valid attempt to expand the franchise, giving the consoles a taste of a genre that many never played before).

PSP - 190k
How's that compare to the last few months? And YoY? (for anyone that may have the data handy)

Nice for PS3, happy to see Beatles Rock Band get some due (considering how the franchise has been seemingly permanently shot in the foot in Europe).

CadetMahoney said:
However, not only has slim stopped the 13 month losing streak, but hasn't Batman also the first multi game the PS3 has come out on top of the 360 version for the entire year so far?

See Also: Exclusive Joker Content

Getting outsold for 13 months straight is a bad thing no matter how you spin it.

Losing $53 million dollars to win one month of NPD sales is even worse.

Bricfa

Next month is when it will get really interesting for the Ps3

We will get to see how well Uncharted 2 does, and if the Ps3 Slim boost has serious legs.
I'm thinking Sony's new advertising campaign might help significantly as well.

CoG

OrigJake78 said:
The PS3 has finally broken the streak! The PS3 has been outsold by the Xbox 360 and the Wii for the past 13 months straight.

Sony is losing $108 per console. At 491,800 consoles that's a loss of $53,114,400!

So for a lead of 29k over their closest rival Sony lost $53 Million Dollars. And that's in the American market alone.

Sony losing $100 on every PS3 Slim sold

Will PS3 sustain these sales? Maybe. The release of the 250GB PS3 will help (Early adopters am cry).

Will PS3 sustain these sales? No? The PS3 Slim dropped over 2/3rd in only its second week on sale in Japan.

Price cut = Small Increase, New Hardware + Price Cut = Larger Increase

Only one PS3 game in the top 10.

r u mad?

GhaleonEB

Kudos to Sony for the re-launch, those are very impressive PS3 numbers. They may well thump MS this holiday, and deserve to given how MS is sitting on their hands this year.

Impressive ODST numbers, as well.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
poppabk said:
Seems like the death of the Wii has been greatly exaggerated.

Yeah very impressive Wii number. I expect a very good last 3 months of the year for Nintendo.

AnIco said:
It's over for Microsoft, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of the 360's hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for 360. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a 360. Except if they want to play Bungie's titles. Which will also come to the PS3 anyway once their Halo contract is up at some point.

The age of Microsoft in the US is done.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Iksenpets

Banned
Good job for Sony, though it's not quite as big of a gap over the Wii and 360 as I was expecting. I doubt it can hold 1st place next month. Also no Scribblenauts in the top 10. :(

I suppose if you had to be complacent, Microsoft, now's a good time to go it.

You'll never beat Wii, you'll probably never lose to Sony, so just stay in the middle until Natal comes out.

Makes fine business sense, I'm more than annoyed as a 360 owner, though.

soldat7

OrigJake78 said:
The PS3 has finally broken the streak! The PS3 has been outsold by the Xbox 360 and the Wii for the past 13 months straight.

Sony is losing $108 per console. At 491,800 consoles that's a loss of $53,114,400!

So for a lead of 29k over their closest rival Sony lost $53 Million Dollars. And that's in the American market alone.

Will PS3 sustain these sales? Maybe. The release of the 250GB PS3 will help (Early adopters am cry).

Will PS3 sustain these sales? No? The PS3 Slim dropped over 2/3rd in only its second week on sale in Japan.

You're like...the Anti-Hoffman.

So people really aren't taking this as an initial spike? That somehow PS3 will just keep selling this much (relative to the other consoles)? Nearly 500k is fantastic but 360 still sold really well despite the PS3 price cut and kept its stable sales (nearly exactly the same as last year's October numbers, 371,000, actually). PS3 sales increased without effecting 360's YOY sales. I'd take that as meaning this is an initial surge and things will definitely even out month over month. Not a momentum shift to taking over moment. Who knows though.

So happy about TB:RB. Deserved to sell more, but this seems like it's the kind of game that will be a slow burn. But my faith in humanity is restored because it beat out GH5. Thank God.

Also everyone needs to shut the fuck up about the PSPgo failing. It came out this month. It's sales are not in this NPD.

sestrugen

AnIco said:
It's over for Microsoft, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of the 360's hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for 360. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a 360. Except if they want to play Bungie's titles. Which will also come to the PS3 anyway once their Halo contract is up at some point.

3581529798_ec6c2bd1d3.jpg

Serenity

OrigJake78 said:

But but there are only sony fanboys on GAF :rolleyes:

Great sales all around hopefully this continues into the holiday season for all parties. Games for the win:D

AnIco said:

:lol :lol :lol

Ever consider that people may want to play with their friends that have xboxes? And the Elite is headed to $250 . . . the foreshadowing was the $50 rebate offer.

Taurus

Sadist said:
A little win for the PS3, expected.
Just as my precious crystal ball told me about 1 hour earlier:

Taurus said:
PS3 sells the most, but not by a big margin. Wii comes 2nd with X360 following on the 3rd place. DS annihilates everyone, and PSP is the last even with the (miserable) launch of PSPgo. We will get a lot of "Return of the King!" posts by those who have held it inside for over 3 years. There will be moaning and bitching and some meltdowns but overall it's quite clear already.

Only surprise would be if Wii's price drop had enough time to get Wii over PS3 which would result an EPIC thread. Anyway, this upcoming NPD thread will have more posts than most of the earlier NPD threads since there will be a lot of new participants like I mentioned earlier. In any case, I expect a lot of great gifs. :D
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18110171&postcount=295

As I said, order is very much expected. Although I expected a lot less home console hw sold, MS, Sony and Nintendo all did very well this month!

Top Bottom