• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

OrigJake78 said:
Hey, call me a fanboy all you want. But at least try and challenge my facts.

If you can't do that then you're the only fanboy here, matey.

I think what impressed me was that you had that all prepared so you could post it on the first page...

EviLore said:
Data care of NPD Group

PlayStation 2 146.0K
PlayStation 3 491.8K
PSP 190.4K
Xbox 360 352.6K
Wii 462.8K
Nintendo DS 524.2K

HALO 3: ODST (360; Sep-09) 1.52M
WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII; Jul-09) 442.9K
MADDEN NFL 10 (360; Aug-09) 289.6K
MARIO & LUIGI:BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY (NDS; Sep-09) 258.1K
THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (360; Sep-09) 254.0K
MADDEN NFL 10 (PS3; Aug-09) 246.5K
MARVEL:ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 2 (360; Sep-09) 236.0K
BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM* (PS3; Aug-09) 212.5K
GUITAR HERO 5* (360; Sep-09) 210.8K
THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (WII; Sep-09) 208.6K

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

---------------------

OH wow,

PS3's first NPD console win?

Madden numbers are VERY VERY close PS3 vs. 360

and Batman PS3> Batman 360? I mean I know the Joker DLC but wow, 360 version not in top 10

Safe Bet

Banned
AnIco said:
It's over for Microsoft, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of the 360's hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for 360. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a 360. Except if they want to play Bungie's titles. Which will also come to the PS3 anyway once their Halo contract is up at some point.

The age of Microsoft in the US is done.

OrigJake78 said:
The PS3 has finally broken the streak! The PS3 has been outsold by the Xbox 360 and the Wii for the past 13 months straight.

Sony is losing $108 per console. At 491,800 consoles that's a loss of $53,114,400!

So for a lead of 29k over their closest rival Sony lost $53 Million Dollars. And that's in the American market alone.

Sony losing $100 on every PS3 Slim sold

Will PS3 sustain these sales? Maybe. The release of the 250GB PS3 will help (Early adopters am cry).

Will PS3 sustain these sales? No? The PS3 Slim dropped over 2/3rd in only its second week on sale in Japan.

Price cut = Small Increase, New Hardware + Price Cut = Larger Increase

Only one PS3 game in the top 10.

*le sigh*

How do these people make it past GAF's QA?

BrokenSymmetry said:
So what are the thoughts on the ODST numbers? Good (for an expansion pack) or bad (less than half of Halo 3)?

Considering the small team, the quick development time, and the huge sales, I'd guess they're very happy with it. And it's probably going to be around for one or two more npd top tens, top 20s.

Somnid

I stated in the Media Create thread but Sony is going to need software if it intends to keep selling those PS3s. I feel the in the US they are in a better position to take advantage of the rebrand especially with Uncharted 2, but it's still going to be an uphill battle. Certainly, if all they have are 360 ports it's going to be short revival.

BrokenSymmetry said:
So what are the thoughts on the ODST numbers? Good (for an expansion pack) or bad (less than half of Halo 3)?

Pretty damn good for a first month, though I think it could have done WAY better if it was more than a Halo 3 retread with a new look single player.

Safe Bet said:
*le sigh*

How can you not detect
obvious
sarcasm?

AniHawk said:
Actually, PSP sales declined. It was averaging 40k/week in August and in September it did 38k/week.

You sure? I could have sworn it was higher week on week this month?

Well I guess October is going to be interesting for the PSP with the whole "Digital Distribution vs Retail" thing.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Interesting top ten software. Surprised to see Mario & Luigi that high. I'm guessing the rest of the top twenty contains:

Wii Guitar Hero 5
PS3 Beatles
Scribblenauts (at 18 or so)
360 Batman

and for the rest I don't know

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
TheGreatDave said:
BenjaminBirdie said:
YES!!!

BEATLES ROCK BAND WINS!!!
PS2 numbers to make up the difference. I AIN'T GIVIN AWAY MAH MONEY.
It seems you've lost good sir.

Anita Frazier said:
We know all eyes are going to be on the Rock Band and Guitar Hero sales since the music/dance genre has been so closely followed by many this year. Both titles captured a spot in the top 10 for the month and at the item level, across all platforms, The Beatles: Rock Band came in third behind Halo 3: ODST and Madden NFL 10 while Guitar Hero 5 came in fourth. The Beatles: Rock Band achieved this level of success with an average retail price premium of 130% to the average retail price for software overall.

Paracelsus

Safe Bet said:
*le sigh*

The first one is a joke, born from a serious post into the FFXIII on 360 thread of last year, the second one is blatant trolling.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
OrigJake78 said:
See Also: Exclusive Joker Content

Getting outsold for 13 months straight is a bad thing no matter how you spin it.

Losing $53 million dollars to win one month of NPD sales is even worse.

Wow, you're really trying your hardest to make this result seem bad for Sony aren't you? :lol

Did Sony run over your dog or something?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Firestorm said:
This was worse than any Thursday. Get the hell off my neogaf people.

And grandjedi said there'd be less 500s this way.
Actually I said the 500s would be delayed a few days ;)

Tannhauser said:
Nah, it wasn't the exclusive joker content..

But why are you reporting on trite things that are already known? Getting outsold every month for over a year is a bad thing - obviously. Those losses were incurred before the price cut and model revision, so your other statement is inaccurate let alone baiting.

Yes it was the exclusive Joker content. At least IMO.

And most people don't know the PS3 has been outsold in America for the past 13 months straight. Its quite an astounding and sobering fact.

And these losses are on the PS3 Slim. I'm not including any losses incurred before the PS3Slim launch. They're losing an estimated $108 per console. That equals a loss of $53 million dollars in the North American market.

My statements are true. My facts are solid. Only the "batman comment" can be chalked up to personal opinion. (I'm multiconsole and I bought the PS3 version for the Joker content)

yurinka

OrigJake78 said:
Losing $53 million dollars to win one month of NPD sales is even worse.
Looks like as previous PS3, Slim also sells well in Europe. And here is 299€, not $299.

BTW Sony sold it below cost before with PS2 and PSOne, and Microsoft too with their consoles. Like everyone except Nintendo.

Corto

20091019-mr1eb68dkjd7gh377kxwjjqjxp.gif

EXGN

My favorite part of these NPD threads are the gifs. This month certainly did not disappoint :lol

But yea, really good results overall. The analysts were way off, like normal

fernoca

Didn't both the Xbox 360 (Elite) and Wii had price drops last month?
People are like "Good PS3 numbers, but not that great and too close"...as if the other consoles sales weren't affected by their respective reductions...

[Nintex]

CoG said:
"I thought the PS3 would do better" = new meme of the haters?
No, it's like when Microsoft launched Halo 3 and their sales exploded for a short ammount of time and Nintendo was in the same ballpark without any new releases.

legend166

Weekly sales:

PS2:

August: 26 475
September: 34 500
Result: +8025

PS3:

August: 52 500
September: 98 360
Result: +45 860

PSP:

August: 35 075
September: 38 080
Result: +3005

Xbox 360:

August: 53 850
September: 70 520
Result: +16670

Wii:

August: 69 350
September: 92 560
Result: +23 210

DS:

August: 138 225
September: 104 840
Result: -33 385

Everything up except the DS.

methane47

my only prediction for this month with the price drop was that Sony would still only have 2 MAYBE 3 games in the top ten...

I was right.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
DevelopmentArrested said:
I love how Rock Band fans shit all over the milking of the Guitar Hero series.. irony much? As if there won't be a Rolling Stones RB, Led Zep RB, Rock Band 3, Lego Rock Band 2, etc etc. Let's just be done with the whole fucking franchise.. the same game repackaged over and over and over again.
yeah boyyyyyyyyyyyyy

fernoca said:
Didn't both the Xbox 360 (Elite) and Wii had price drops last month?
People are like "Good PS3 numbers, but not that great and too close"...as if the other consoles sales weren't affected by their respective reductions...

PS3 had a 100 dollar drop as well as a console redesign (Which is a huge factor).

They probably put the most in their marketing as well.

I'm not saying their numbers are bad, but some context is needed.

CoG

OrigJake78 said:
And these losses are on the PS3 Slim. I'm not including any losses incurred before the PS3Slim launch. They're losing an estimated $108 per console. That equals a loss of $53 million dollars in the North American market.

Proof other than an analysts opinion? All 491k were Slims? No proof? Then please go away.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Y2Kev said:
I think music games are seriously fucked.
I hope the Wii sales of RB and GH are lackluster for the rest of the year. The $10 HD tax the Wii versions picked up this year is annoying. Way to kill the golden goose Activision.

obonicus

Amir0x said:
of course, I don't see how anything that occurs in this month changed the central truth of what I said, but I suspect it'll be the end of the generation before the Sony warriors admit I was completely right in my assessment.

Your conclusion is that the age of Sony is over. Full stop. You didn't even qualify it as pertaining only to this generation (which is a much more reasonable point). You're not going to be completely right. I don't think you'll even be a little bit right.

Minsc

Gold Member
Weekly NPD sales in relation to last month / September of last year (September = 5 weeks, August = 4 weeks):

Code:
       |  09/09 |   08/09 | % Change |   09/08 | % Change (compared to 09/09)
PS2    |    29K |     27K |       7% |     35K |      17%
PS3    |    98K |     53K |      85% |     46K |     [B]113%[/B]
PSP    |    38K |     35K |       9% |     48K |      21% 
NDS    |   105K |    138K |      24% |    107K |       2%
360    |    71K |     54K |      31% |     69K |       3% 
Wii    |    93K |     69K |      35% |    137K |      32%
Red signifies a decrease, black increase.

:bow PS3 YoY @ 113%!!!

Exceeded my expectations by a large amount.

Everything up from last month, except for NDS, not sure why the DS fell so much. Wii continues to live in its shadow with another month of decreased YoY sales, down 32% from last September.

Zen

Banned
nib95 said:
Great results for the PS3. Was predicting 400k, so it's a bit above my personal expectations. On a side note, the surprising news for me was this...

MADDEN NFL 10 (360; Aug-09) 289.6K
MADDEN NFL 10 (PS3; Aug-09) 246.5K
BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM* (PS3; Aug-09) 212.5K

Given the install base difference, AA not even charting in the top 10 for the 360 (perhaps to do with the Joker DLC?) and NFL sales being so close.

EDIT: On a side note, I very much doubt Sony is losing $100 per PS3 slim.

It wasn't just the Joker DLC, wasn't the rest of the free DLC exclusive to the PS3?

And yeah Sony probably isn't losing 100 dollars per slim, their forgetting to account for the fact taht the Slim is a new model made to cut as much cost as possible from production. The Figures they're using are 1) Outdated by now, and, 2) based on production costs of the Phat PS3, not the slim.

Doubtless they are still losing money, but it's probably not that much.

confused

Banned
Good month for gaming all around then. Good to see everybody doing great for a change. Next month should be really interesting.

Safe Bet

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
How can you not detect
obvious
sarcasm?
*blush*

:lol

My bad...

Paracelsus said:
The first one is a joke, born from a serious post into the FFXIII on 360 thread of last year, the second one is blatant trolling.
Thanks for the clarification.

Kard8p3

I patiently await sales data for Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days. My guess is KH probably is too far below number ten.

Cant0na

Banned
freitax said:
September NDP was overhyped:( I was expecting a lot more drama:/

meh, what most people expected happened. slim and odst on top.

not much to see.......maybe next month? (but it'll just be back to the norm with wii>360>ps3)

Good sales by both the PS3 and Wii. The PS3 version of Batman has amazing legs, too. That's barely a second month drop at all.

Htown said:
Interesting top ten software. Surprised to see Mario & Luigi that high. I'm guessing the rest of the top twenty contains:

Wii Guitar Hero 5
PS3 Beatles
Scribblenauts (at 18 or so)
360 Batman

and for the rest I don't know

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days will definitely be in there. Probably PS3 MUA 2 as well.

Plus the inevitable Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit.

Top Bottom