• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

Amir0x

Banned
Good job Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story!

I know it's Mario, but it's nice. it's third on my list of top games this year!

1. Demon's Souls
2. Batman: Arkham Asylum
3. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
4. Uncharted 2
5. Red Faction: Guerilla

witness

Awesome for sony, and good for them with continuing to chart Batman:AA while the 360 one did not. That Joker exclusivity really paid off for them, those commercials were on all the time. Madden charting as well on ps3 again is another good sign.

Sony deserves all the sales they get, they're really working hard for them right now. Looking forward to see what kind of numbers Uncharted 2 puts up.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
By the way....hell yeah, Beatles Rock Band > Guitar Hero 274 1/2, there is a god.
They didn't win by a large amount, but at least they won + Guitar Hero had a one week head start (1st vs. 9th).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
speculawyer said:
:lol :lol :lol

Ever consider that people may want to play with their friends that have xboxes? And the Elite is headed to $250 . . . the foreshadowing was the $50 rebate offer.
I can't believe people are still falling for it. :lol

It's an Amirox meme guys.

intheinbetween said:
what? seriously, what?

everyone expected PS3 Slim to be #1 for at least September NPS's numbers.

Yeah, but I mean number wise, not place wise. It looks like a lot of people undershot it in the predictions thread (though it wasn't as bad as how much they undershot the Wii).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:
Yeah I think we're hitting the wall on these puppies.

Oh well
I think the issue really comes from there not being that much else you can really add to the music game genre that people actually want to use.

Changing the songs could only work for so long really.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Again, for anyone who missed it- this was a 5 week month so the numbers for all 3 look better than they normally would look, especially compared to last month.

HALO 3: ODST (360; Sep-09) 1.52M
WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII; Jul-09) 442.9K
MADDEN NFL 10 (360; Aug-09) 289.6K
MARIO & LUIGI:BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY (NDS; Sep-09) 258.1K
THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (360; Sep-09) 254.0K
MADDEN NFL 10 (PS3; Aug-09) 246.5K
MARVEL:ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 2 (360; Sep-09) 236.0K
BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM* (PS3; Aug-09) 212.5K
GUITAR HERO 5* (360; Sep-09) 210.8K
THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (WII; Sep-09) 208.6K

My guesses on some of the rest of the top ten:

beatles rock band PS3
Arkham Asylum 360
GH5 PS3
Scribblenauts maybe?
GH5 Wii

Meier

daebo said:
Good #'s all around considering. People are eating up the hardware.

I'll be adding myself to the october ps3 #s. Hopefully, it keeps it up.

Also, on a side note... wasn't there somebody bitching about M: UA2 selling like crap and that both the PS3 and 360 version combined wouldn't hit 250k and he would eat his hat?

MARVEL:ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 2 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD (CORP) Sep-09 236.0K

That's just 360 alone. I think this game will have legs for another month and probably will hit the million plus.
I said it ioi's roughly half million estimate was off and if it wasn't that I'd eat my hat. I wouldn't have been surprised if the real combined number was closer to 250k. It did better than I expected but obviously his number was as overinflated as per usual.

methane47

WinFonda said:
That's a lot of moved hardware. Go go gadget gif

fmjvno.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

dreamcast 2!! lol

xbhaskarx

AnIco said:
It's over for Microsoft, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of the 360's hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for 360. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a 360. Except if they want to play Bungie's titles. Which will also come to the PS3 anyway once their Halo contract is up at some point.

The age of Microsoft in the US is done.
Only 350k hardware and 5 of the software top 10, yup Xbox is dead.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nirolak said:
I think the issue really comes from there not being that much else you can really add to the music game genre that people actually want to use.

Changing the songs could only work for so long really.

Yeah. Just from my own personal experience, I bought both GT3 and GT:WT and despite loving the Beatles and a lot of the GH5 songs I just can't even fathom playing it much anymore.

El-Suave

RB Beatles > GH 5 is nice, but let's not forget what getting the rights to do this game must have cost and that they probably make less money from every game sold than on a "normal" music game.

[Nintex]

Microsoft sold tons of Halo ODST copies, Nintendo laughed all the way to the bank again with the DS and Mario & Luigi and the 4 day Wii price drop Blitzkrieg almost managed to catch up with Sony's relaunch month.

Sony had a good show and now they need a good roadie to keep that show on the road.

Very nice performance for PS3, edging out an also strong performance from Wii. Also, I'm surprised the 360 is up that far -- I honestly expected PS3 Slim sales to leech some attention from them this month, but they seem to have had a pretty solid September. Watching PS3 vs. 360 in the holiday season should be extremely interesting.

Also, impressed to see M&L3 chart so high.

I don't see much reason to be jubilant about Beatles sales at all. With a reported licensing price tag of $10 million upfront (not counting additional per-copy royalties) I don't see this start as particularly strong at all.

I love how Rock Band fans shit all over the milking of the Guitar Hero series.. irony much? As if there won't be a Rolling Stones RB, Led Zep RB, Rock Band 3, Lego Rock Band 2, etc etc. Let's just be done with the whole fucking franchise.. the same game repackaged over and over and over again.

Amir0x

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
to everyone quoting the it's over for microsoft post...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11957229&postcount=1044

i was wondering when someone would quote the source. Damn that's a lot of confused posters!

of course, I don't see how anything that occurs in this month changed the central truth of what I said, but I suspect it'll be the end of the generation before the Sony warriors admit I was completely right in my assessment.

Zen

Banned
daebo said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Really now? Really?

It's a rip on the post Amirox made when FFXIII was announced as Multiplatform. :lol

Amir0x said:
i was wondering when someone would quote the source. Damn that's a lot of confused posters!

of course, I don't see how anything that occurs in this month changed the central truth of what I said, but I suspect it'll be the end of the generation before the Sony warriors admit I was completely right in my assessment.

Yet you bought one? I though there was no reason left to ever own one it that was litterally it for Sony. Seriously now, no hyperbole? :lol

EDIT: And Demons Souls is your top game of the year so far. :p

Gestahl

I notice a lot of people in these threads tend to completely ignore the Wii as if they're in their happy place or something, but I'm not one of those guys. Sold nearly as much as a price dropped Slim, October's going to be a bloody month. DS doesn't give a shit though. DS never gives a shit.

Tannhauser

Neo Member
OrigJake78 said:
See Also: Exclusive Joker Content

Getting outsold for 13 months straight is a bad thing no matter how you spin it.

Losing $53 million dollars to win one month of NPD sales is even worse.
Nah, it wasn't the exclusive joker content..

But why are you reporting on trite things that are already known? Getting outsold every month for over a year is a bad thing - obviously. Those losses were incurred before the price cut and model revision, so your other statement is inaccurate let alone baiting.

Slurmer

Banned
Does anyone have any idea how NGS2 sold? I'd imagine pretty poorly.

OrigJake78 said:
The PS3 has finally broken the streak! The PS3 has been outsold by the Xbox 360 and the Wii for the past 13 months straight.

Sony is losing $108 per console. At 491,800 consoles that's a loss of $53,114,400!

So for a lead of 29k over their closest rival Sony lost $53 Million Dollars. And that's in the American market alone.

Sony losing $100 on every PS3 Slim sold

Will PS3 sustain these sales? Maybe. The release of the 250GB PS3 will help (Early adopters am cry).

Will PS3 sustain these sales? No? The PS3 Slim dropped over 2/3rd in only its second week on sale in Japan.

Price cut = Small Increase, New Hardware + Price Cut = Larger Increase

Only one PS3 game in the top 10.

This reads like a Xbot's bullet point list:lol Well done.

Tutomos

OrigJake78 said:
Losing $53 million dollars to win one month of NPD sales is even worse.

Is it really going to be only one month?

BTW, PS3 was announced dead several NPD threads ago.

witness said:
Awesome for sony, and good for them with continuing to chart Batman:AA while the 360 one did not. That Joker exclusivity really paid off for them, those commercials were on all the time.

I disagree, I believe that Halo ODST was a big factor in Batman not charting this month for 360.

I will wait until the top 20, if the game sold really low on 360 than I will believe that Joker was a factor, but if it's in the 150k range, I will be more inclined to think that ODST pulled in too many people.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Slim did alright for itself. It will probably continue outselling the 360 into the holiday season but will most likely get dominated by the Wii starting next month.

Grab yourself some Queen songs with that 10 bucks for me, Archie.

nib95

Banned
Great results for the PS3. Was predicting 400k, so it's a bit above my personal expectations. On a side note, the surprising news for me was this...

MADDEN NFL 10 (360; Aug-09) 289.6K
MADDEN NFL 10 (PS3; Aug-09) 246.5K
BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM* (PS3; Aug-09) 212.5K

Given the install base difference, AA not even charting in the top 10 for the 360 (perhaps to do with the Joker DLC?) and NFL sales being so close.

EDIT: On a side note, I very much doubt Sony is losing $100 per PS3 slim.

Top Bottom