• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD-Xbox One X sales: Phenomenal, Even if not market leading

LostDonkey

That seems like a reliable and unbiased site there. 😂

I know. The only other source I could find was the direct tweet and i didnt want to link that so.

I thought it was still worthy news considering the source but if not close the thread by all means.

MilkyJoe

Well I did notice on Black Friday Xbox console packages dominated the Movers and Shakers ranks on Amazon.

edit: here is is

Dsrrv74XoAAH4vg.jpg

Last edited:

Three

Where does market leading come from?

Edit: Sorry can a mod change the title. The words "Even if not" pertaining to Market leading somehow didnt stick.

So the title was meant to be:

NPD-Xbox One X sales: Phenomenal, Even if Not Market Leading

but the 'even if not' disappeared? Wierd.

Last edited:

Elfstar

So we just had two dumb hyperbolic deceptive thread titles for both Nintendo's and Microsoft's NPD data in a row, now we just need a Sony fanboy to start a Playstation one :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Where does market leading come from?

So the title was meant to be:

NPD-Xbox One X sales: Phenomenal, Even if Not Market Leading

but the 'even if not' disappeared? Wierd.

It didnt disappear it got transferred to my browser bar for some reason and id already posted the title.

JimboJones

Hopefully it's the start of a mid generation PS3 style turn around. I doubt they will ever catch up to PS4 now but hopefully the momentum will carry with them into next gen and they will be a lot more competitive.
They seem to be going in the right direction.

evanft

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of caveats for both the Switch and Xbox sales. Switch's was obvious since it was only talking about a particular point in time vs. another Nintendo console.

With the Xbox, it's shown really good growth. Well, growth vs. what baseline? Growth is good and all, but if you're selling like shit, you can see a big increase and still sell like shit.

I want hard data.

Vawn

Banned
Well I did notice on Black Friday Xbox console packages dominated the Movers and Shakers ranks on Amazon.

edit: here is is

Dsrrv74XoAAH4vg.jpg

Seems like something MS would have posted. It went from unranked to 60th place. It's hard to know whether that's considered successful or not.

Actual, real numbers in comparison to the rest of the industry would be much more meaningful, but it's still obvious why MS won't be forward with those.

LostDonkey

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of caveats for both the Switch and Xbox sales. Switch's was obvious since it was only talking about a particular point in time vs. another Nintendo console.

With the Xbox, it's shown really good growth. Well, growth vs. what baseline? Growth is good and all, but if you're selling like shit, you can see a big increase and still sell like shit.

I want hard data.

You know, I agree with this. MS wont disclose units sold and we know why but its at least a correlation that power does in fact matter.

I also think a huge part of this growth will have been RDR2 and people wanting to the 4K version which is only available on MS system.

YayNJ

Banned
ITT - Xbox Fanboi's grasping at straws, Sony Fanboi's taking the whole top off the shaker of salt and liberally daubing it across the thread.

Seriously though - Good on MS. A strong finish to the generation cycle means a better generation for everyone next time. :messenger_horns:

MilkyJoe

Seems like something MS would have posted. It went from unranked to 60th place. It's hard to know whether that's considered successful or not.

Actual, real numbers in comparison to the rest of the industry would be much more meaningful, but it's still obvious why MS won't be forward with those.

Well they don't give out numbers, but if those consoles are beating out software on lack Friday, then I'm sure they shifted a few,.

Shin

Banned
Xbox One sales show the highest growth of the three major hardware platforms in the U.S. this year, and the Xbox One X in particular has been performing phenomenally... year-over-year growth like this at this point in the cycle has never been seen before, driven by launch of the Xbox One X and new content delivery efforts. It's a mid-generation turnaround the market's never seen before. This qualifies as phenomenal, even if not market leading.
It's the whole quote or what this article is based off is stating the obvious, mid-gen refreshes never happend before so yeah.
Not trying to belittle MS here as they had the balls to go with $500 and it's selling well, marketed properly and I hope it becomes the norm because I rather pay more for a premium device than a half baked one (Pro - laughs).

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It's amazing what $130 off and free RDR2 will do to boost sales.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
good on microsoft. hopefully they don't fuck up again next gen.

for me the XB1X is a waste of money but i'm happy it's doing well.

LostDonkey

It's the whole quote or what this article is based off is stating the obvious, mid-gen refreshes never happend before so yeah.
Not trying to belittle MS here as they had the balls to go with $500 and it's selling well, marketed properly and I hope it becomes the norm because I rather pay more for a premium device than a half baked one (Pro - laughs).

In a sense of a more powerful system then yes. But mid gen refreshing aka slim versions of consoles have been a thing for a while now.

AlexxKidd

You probably just should have titled the thread "Xbox One X sales phenomenal" and that would have been better from the get go.

"Xbox One X sales phenomenal" as a title doesn't have the "not market leading" caveat and it doesn't misrepresent Mat Piscatella's tweet.

iconmaster

Banned
I follow Mat. I like Mat. But this thread is worthless without any numbers at all.

Here's what he actually said:

Xbox One sales show the highest growth of the 3 major HW platforms in the US this year, and the Xbox One X in particular has been performing phenomenally. Console warring on the internet is one of the dumber things people do, unfortunately.

year-over-year growth like this at this point in the cycle has never been seen before, driven by launch of the Xbox One X and new content delivery efforts. It's a mid-generation turnaround the market's never seen before. This qualifies as phenomenal, even if not market leading.

(emphasis mine)

What's actually phenomenal in Mat's view is the turnaround Microsoft have pulled off. In other words, MS screwed up so profoundly at the start of the generation that it's phenomenal the Xbox is doing as well as it is now.

And of course, that's probably right. As a turnaround, it's phenomenal. In comparison to the PS4's success, it's probably not worth writing home about.

But without numbers... none of us can say.

AgentP

I like my X, but I did not spend $500 which is the price that does not sell well. I paid $380, which is a good price.

MS did what they always do in Nov/Dec, they have fire sales for the holidays. They tend to give up all or most profit to generate raw sales. It's good for revenue and in the long run it should generate peripheral and subscription cash, assuming everyone that bought a X wasn't a XB1 owner.

They had/have sub-$200 XB1 bundles with extra games and XBX sub-$400 with extra games with no shortages in units (unlike Sony). Of course if prices go back to $300/$500 the sales will drop off a cliff.

AlexxKidd

They had/have sub-$200 XB1 bundles with extra games and XBX sub-$400 with extra games with no shortages in units (unlike Sony). Of course if prices go back to $300/$500 the sales will drop off a cliff.

Sony seems always seems like they're surprised when they sell as many systems as they do even though they've been doing it 25 years so they never have stock come holidays. They could learn something from Microsoft here and keep those shelves stocked.

Without absolute numbers there is not much you can say about this. As an extreme example, if Xbox went from selling 100 to 200 units they would have doubled sales, but it wouldn't mean anything.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I wish my pro was as good as an x.... :(. Sony better pick up their game next generation
Whenever MS and Sony release their next systems (let's say 2020???), pretty sure both systems will be great. Both systems will probably have at least 16gb ram and 10+ tf each. X is already 12gb ram and 6 tf, so it can only go up from here.

When new systems come out, we'll all have a laugh at DF picking apart both versions..... PS 5 does 4k at an avg of 59.9 fps, while Xbox X2 does 4k at an avg of 59.8 fps.

OMG gamers! Please share the enthusiasm DF does when doing these articles as our site's banner ads paying 1 penny per click depends on you guys going apeshit over 0.1 fps.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Whenever MS and Sony release their next systems (let's say 2020???), pretty sure both systems will be great. Both systems will probably have at least 16gb ram and 10+ tf each. X is already 12gb ram and 6 tf, so it can only go up from here.

When new systems come out, we'll all have a laugh at DF picking apart both versions..... PS 5 does 4k at an avg of 59.9 fps, while Xbox X2 does 4k at an avg of 59.8 fps.

OMG gamers! Please share the enthusiasm DF does when doing these articles as our site's banner ads paying 1 penny per click depends on you guys going apeshit over 0.1 fps.
I was mostly referring to the changes to BC and such. I think it's pretty wishful thinking we will get 60 fps standard... I wish it would happen though too

spookyfish

The only issue I have is this: People saying the X’s strong sales bode well for MS next gen—are you sure about that?

Or will people wait to see what mid-gen upgrade MS has in store before buying? (The same could be said of Sony, although the PS Vanilla is still selling really well.)

Personally, I’ll wait. I’m sorry I bought my Vanilla One (and the One S later). Next time will be wait-and-see.

Edit: That being said, I *love* the X. MS should always be about raw power, as a fan since the OG Xbox.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
iu

"Xbox One sales are phenomenal even if not market leading." Microsoft still hasn't made money on the Xbox brand overall because of how much they ate early during the first generation and paying for all the defective 360 hardware.

Last edited:

wipeout364

Xbox one X is an amazing console, I feel like it’s night and day from where Xbox started this gen. I felt like the PS pro was a disappointment but probably only because the PS4 was so solid in its original design whereas the the OG Xbox one felt horrible in UI and performance. I really want Microsoft to succeed since I think having two successful companies is much better for the industry then one.

I exclude Nintendo because they are playing their own game and I feel like they operate in a vacuum and don’t really care what anybody thinks(including consumers).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I was mostly referring to the changes to BC and such. I think it's pretty wishful thinking we will get 60 fps standard... I wish it would happen though too
I have a hard time believing next gen system won't be BC. Not only is the trend to mid gen refreshes, but the system architecture is so PC-like now, I don't think you'll see too many oddball cpus anymore. Aside from small changes in chips and clock speed, both PS and Xbox systems share similar architecture too, which makes easier for devs.

You'll never get 60 fps standard unless a console maker mandated it, or had some kind of hardware/software feature that bumped it up to 60 fps.

But more and more games now are 60 fps, so the trend should keep improving.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of lazy ass devs who go for the lowest common denominator BS doing 30 fps. Unless it's a huge open world game where systems get slammed and can only do 30 fps well, I typically avoid 30 fps games. I don't think I've enjoyed many sports, racers and shooters at anything less than 60 fps.

Allandor

iu

"Xbox One sales are phenomenal even if not market leading." Microsoft still hasn't made money on the Xbox brand overall because of how much they ate early during the first generation and paying for all the defective 360 hardware.
any sources for this?
as far as I know, they made the break even in mid 360 gen.

@topic
seems like the $3xx price point with games included (e.g. RDR2) seems to be a good price point were many consomers buy a "new" console.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
iu

And MS doesn't care. When a company makes over $20 billion in profits every year, they can withstand any division making zero/piddly profits.

Sony on their other hand has the most profits from the gaming and insurance depts. If these two divisions falter, Sony is toast as the rest of their divisions make hardly any money.

Xbox has done gaming a favour by being a solid alternative to gaming (imagine if console gaming was strictly Nintendo and Sony, as Sega dropped off the Earth). More competition means better products for everyone.

What MS has also done is taken away PS gamers from the high flying PS1 and PS2 days of 100m and 150m units when Sony was raking in profits. Since then Sony's profits from PS3 and PS4 are tiny. So MS has done two things to gaming really..... become a solid player in console gaming, and killed off Sony's gaming profits for over 10 years.

The only issue I have is this: People saying the X’s strong sales bode well for MS next gen—are you sure about that?

Or will people wait to see what mid-gen upgrade MS has in store before buying? (The same could be said of Sony, although the PS Vanilla is still selling really well.)

Personally, I’ll wait. I’m sorry I bought my Vanilla One (and the One S later). Next time will be wait-and-see.

Edit: That being said, I *love* the X. MS should always be about raw power, as a fan since the OG Xbox.
The One S was done to distance the xbox one from kinect and to free up what little processing power was available, and for 4K. So, not sure anyone would need to worry about that happening again. I do think that the next console will get the 1X treatment at some point, but obviously well after the console's initial release.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
And MS doesn't care. When a company makes over $20 billion in profits every year, they can withstand any division making zero/piddly profits.

Sony on their other hand has the most profits from the gaming and insurance depts. If these two divisions falter, Sony is toast as the rest of their divisions make hardly any money.

Xbox has done gaming a favour by being a solid alternative to gaming (imagine if console gaming was strictly Nintendo and Sony, as Sega dropped off the Earth). More competition means better products for everyone.

What MS has also done is taken away PS gamers from the high flying PS1 and PS2 days of 100m and 150m units when Sony was raking in profits. Since then Sony's profits from PS3 and PS4 are tiny. So MS has done two things to gaming really..... become a solid player in console gaming, and killed off Sony's gaming profits for over 10 years.

Xbox hasn't done me a favor. It fucked computer peripheral makers and ruined at least 10 previously awesome PC game development studios that Microsoft slashed and burned on its way to the bottom.

Fuck XInput.

xStoyax

Banned
With 2017 sales being bad, 2018 sales being up tells you nothing as far as how strong the brand is. They are consistently in 3rd place in the US which is their strongest base.

Microsoft talks about revenue being up. Revenue is NOT Profit. You're selling a $500 console. Of course revenue will be up. Without numbers we can only assume Xbox is still the weakest console of 2018

Allandor

They stopped operating at a loss and spun that even though they never actually made up their initial investment in the whole brand. It's classic spinnery.
again, sources?

Xbox hasn't done me a favor. It fucked computer peripheral makers and ruined at least 10 previously awesome PC game development studios that Microsoft slashed and burned on its way to the bottom.

Fuck XInput.
Big corps do something like that on a regular basis.
EA, UBISoft, Activision, Sierra, Sony, ....

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
again, sources?

Big corps do something like that on a regular basis.
EA, UBISoft, Activision, Sierra, Sony, ....

This is what a piece of shit Microsoft is. They pay off Bioware so that Mass Effect is only on the Xbox even though it would have been released on the PC day one if they had just kept their meat hooks off.

It only came out for the PC because EA bought Bioware. That's what a piece of shit Microsoft is. They would have tried to lock down Mass Effect just like Halo in a pathetic attempt to get PC gamers to double dip on more hardware they didn't need just to play other games. They have ZERO qualms with fucking over their PC customers, and it's disgraceful.

They paid off Epic for an exclusive Gears of War even though, yet again, the game was originally scheduled to be released on day one for the PC. Thanks, Microsoft. You sure are awesome.

They fucked Remedy with that dumb exclusive Alan Wake deal. Only came out for the PC after it was a console flop and they needed to get anything they could out of it. They fucked Ensemble and tanked that company. Rare mysteriously can't make good games anymore after the Microsoft purchase. Another casualty of that trainwreck.

I could write a novel about all the damage Microsoft has done to the gaming industry. They're cancer.

Keiji84

Banned
Not trying to belittle MS here as they had the balls to go with $500 and it's selling well

How do you know that since they are afraid to give any numbers ? :messenger_smirking:

With 2017 sales being bad, 2018 sales being up tells you nothing as far as how strong the brand is. They are consistently in 3rd place in the US which is their strongest base.

Microsoft talks about revenue being up. Revenue is NOT Profit. You're selling a $500 console. Of course revenue will be up. Without numbers we can only assume Xbox is still the weakest console of 2018

That's what I thought.:messenger_confused:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

AgentP

Sony seems always seems like they're surprised when they sell as many systems as they do even though they've been doing it 25 years so they never have stock come holidays. They could learn something from Microsoft here and keep those shelves stocked.

My guess is they are drumming up enough Black Friday sales to look competitive, but limit them to keep profit margins from going red. If the Spider-Man bundle had unlimited supply, it would be the #1 console all holiday long, but Sony has no interest in winning NPD at the expense of $50-$100 loss per unit.

Top Bottom