• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD-Xbox One X sales: Phenomenal, Even if not market leading

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is what a piece of shit Microsoft is. They pay off Bioware so that Mass Effect is only on the Xbox even though it would have been released on the PC day one if they had just kept their meat hooks off.

It only came out for the PC because EA bought Bioware. That's what a piece of shit Microsoft is. They would have tried to lock down Mass Effect just like Halo in a pathetic attempt to get PC gamers to double dip on more hardware they didn't need just to play other games. They have ZERO qualms with fucking over their PC customers, and it's disgraceful.

They paid off Epic for an exclusive Gears of War even though, yet again, the game was originally scheduled to be released on day one for the PC. Thanks, Microsoft. You sure are awesome.

They fucked Remedy with that dumb exclusive Alan Wake deal. Only came out for the PC after it was a console flop and they needed to get anything they could out of it. They fucked Ensemble and tanked that company. Rare mysteriously can't make good games anymore after the Microsoft purchase. Another casualty of that trainwreck.

I could write a novel about all the damage Microsoft has done to the gaming industry. They're cancer.
And Sony and Nintendo are no different.

You should check their histories for all the shady deals, buyouts, exclusives, shut down studios they do too. At least MS does release some of their Xbox games on PC. Nintendo and Sony don't at all.

dirthead

Banned
And Sony and Nintendo are no different.

You should check their histories for all the shady deals, buyouts, exclusives, shut down studios they do too. At least MS does release some of their Xbox games on PC. Nintendo and Sony don't at all.

Sony and Nintendo don't make a consumer PC operating system that's one of the major gaming platforms.

What makes Microsoft uniquely evil is their willingness to cannibalize their own products due to greed and arrogance. The Xbox is the equivalent of Sony or Nintendo releasing a second console to compete with themselves.

How would you like it if Nintendo released one console that had Mario games on it and you had to buy another piece of hardware to play Zelda games? That's Microsoft.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How would you like it if Nintendo released one console that had Mario games on it and you had to buy another piece of hardware to play Zelda games? That's Microsoft.
With Sony and Nintendo games you have yo buy their hardware 100%.

With MS games, you may still be able to play them on PC.

Also a reason why games are delayed on PC is due to piracy. And you know that along with every other gamer. That's why games that are traditionally PC (shooters, RPGs etc....) have really gravitated to a console focus sometimes. And then a PC version comes out later after the huge wave of console sales happens.

Rockstar does this all the time because they know if they release a PC version on day one, someone will crack it and PC gamers will be playing a free copy.

I'm sure Rockstar can release a PC version right away if they wanted to. But they hold back till later.

Keiji84

Banned

And Nintendo and Sony are right about that. They got exclusives games that define their console. While Xbox doesn't have exclusive anymore, I got everything on my PC. It's because of things like these that Xbox never won a generation of console and probably never will.

Thiagosc777

And Nintendo and Sony are right about that. They got exclusives games that define their console. While Xbox doesn't have exclusive anymore, I got everything on my PC. It's because of things like these that Xbox never won a generation of console and probably never will.

Nonsense. Console gamers don't want to play on the PC, and PC gamers don't want to play on console. MS loses nothing by releasing their games there.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And they probably don't care if they win.

For gamers, it's a win because gamers in the PC/Xbox ecosystems can play them on either platform. Someone like me will play on Xbox since my PC is old and crappy. While someone with a good rig will maybe play it on PC where it's better. Play Anywhere helps too.

With Sony and Nintendo you are trapped in their walled garden.

Keiji84

Banned
Nonsense. Console gamers don't want to play on the PC, and PC gamers don't want to play on console. MS loses nothing by releasing their games there.

Nonsense since I'm a living proof of what I said. I 'm a PC player but I have bought two consoles to play some exclusives that I really wanted.

Thiagosc777

Nonsense since I'm a living proof of what I said. I 'm a PC player but I have bought two consoles to play some exclusives that I really wanted.

Then you are the exception. I used to play games on the PC, moved to consoles because of graphics card arms race BS. PCs are for hardware enthusiasts now and very few of them would want to play games at 30 fps.

The purpose of consoles is to make people engage with the platform, i.e., get people to buy games and services. MS will get the money whether you buy it on the PC or Xbox.

xStoyax

Banned

Former Xbox owner here who sold X because I have no reason to own it because I have a PC. Also own a Switch and PS4 for their exclusives. So the only nonsense here is your statement

This does support the previous rumor that the X is outselling the Pro by a decent margin. However we don't know anything more until someone leaks X numbers.

We'll likely get BF leaks since there's always BF leaks every year but likely won't get November totals.

Thiagosc777

Former Xbox owner here who sold X because I have no reason to own it because I have a PC. Also own a Switch and PS4 for their exclusives. So the only nonsense here is your statement

Former PC owner here who moved to consoles because I have no reason to keep upgrading my PC every year. The needs of consoles gamers and PC gamers couldn't be more different.

No PC gamer would accept playing games at 30fps, which is the norm on consoles. No console gamer would subject themselves to troubleshooting technical problems just to be able to play a game.

No console gamer will switch to PC, just like no console gamer will switch to mobile.

Last edited:

His statement isn't actually nonsense. The gap is large. Yeah SOME PC gamers will play on consoles and SOME console gamers will play on PC but MOST console gamers don't play on PC and going by steam stats most PC gamers don't have a PC strong enough to run half the games people are claiming they don't need an Xbox for.

Keiji84

Banned
Then you are the exception

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Anyway back to the thread : I'm still waiting data from Microsoft about Xbox One. Like it was said, no data means it's not good.

Last edited:

demigod

Then you are the exception. I used to play games on the PC, moved to consoles because of graphics card arms race BS. PCs are for hardware enthusiasts now and very few of them would want to play games at 30 fps.

Says the guy with a One X.

Former PC owner here who moved to consoles because I have no reason to keep upgrading my PC every year. The needs of consoles gamers and PC gamers couldn't be more different.

No PC gamer would accept playing games at 30fps, which is the norm on consoles. No console gamer would subject themselves to troubleshooting technical problems just to be able to play a game.

No console gamer will switch to PC, just like no console gamer will switch to mobile.

I'm playing a game on PC right now at 30fps even though my PC is more than capable of 4k 60fps. Stop trying to make your opinion as facts.

Thiagosc777

I'm playing a game on PC right now at 30fps even though my PC is more than capable of 4k 60fps. Stop trying to make your opinion as facts.

giphy.gif

That one was funny. A PC gamer, with a high end PC, playing a game like shit for fun. Is the game broken, so you are forced to play it at 30fps? It'd be the typical PC experience then.

Last edited:
This is what a piece of shit Microsoft is. They pay off Bioware so that Mass Effect is only on the Xbox even though it would have been released on the PC day one if they had just kept their meat hooks off.

It only came out for the PC because EA bought Bioware. That's what a piece of shit Microsoft is. They would have tried to lock down Mass Effect just like Halo in a pathetic attempt to get PC gamers to double dip on more hardware they didn't need just to play other games. They have ZERO qualms with fucking over their PC customers, and it's disgraceful.

They paid off Epic for an exclusive Gears of War even though, yet again, the game was originally scheduled to be released on day one for the PC. Thanks, Microsoft. You sure are awesome.

They fucked Remedy with that dumb exclusive Alan Wake deal. Only came out for the PC after it was a console flop and they needed to get anything they could out of it. They fucked Ensemble and tanked that company. Rare mysteriously can't make good games anymore after the Microsoft purchase. Another casualty of that trainwreck.

I could write a novel about all the damage Microsoft has done to the gaming industry. They're cancer.
All sounds good to me. PC gamers are cancer. Biggest group of stealing and cheating neck beards there is. Enjoy your Linux garbage then if you hate MS so much.

WaterAstro

Sony seems always seems like they're surprised when they sell as many systems as they do even though they've been doing it 25 years so they never have stock come holidays. They could learn something from Microsoft here and keep those shelves stocked.
Yeah, Sony should do that by having shitty sales for the other 11 months. They'll have plenty of stock with that strategy lol.

xStoyax

Banned

If you're upgrading your PC every year, you're doing it wrong. I have a 2012 PC that can still run games just fine. In that same time some people have bought an Xbox One, then upgraded to S, then upgrded to X...and now ready to buy scarlett. The upgrade argument is one of the dumbest

Thiagosc777

If you're upgrading your PC every year, you're doing it wrong. I have a 2012 PC that can still run games just fine. In that same time some people have bought an Xbox One, then upgraded to S, then upgrded to X...and now ready to buy scarlett. The upgrade argument is one of the dumbest

It is going to last years only if you invest money on a high end PC with high end parts. But if you do, then you will spend multiple times the amount you'd have spent on a console. But even then, the performance will take a hit with new games as the years pass.

Three

I game on PC and console I'm one such gamer. I sold my launch xb1 near QB launch. Kind of was burnt by the launch console just like the gen before. Vowed to never buy a launch MS console again.

I really don't understand people complaining about PC releases though why would i WANT to pay for other hardware to play a game. Unless you are a shareholder or shill there is no reason to want them to go back to xbox only games.

I understand dirtheads point though. MS had bullshited the PC crowd for some time before. Releasing PC games then not releasing the sequels on it and switching to XBox only. It was their way of converting PC strong regions like germany. The only reason we have PC releases too now is because the install base is needed. If the next xbox walled garden takes off you can bet your bottom dollar PC sequels aren't coming again.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

I game on PC and console I'm one such gamer. I sold my launch xb1 near QB launch. Kind of was burnt by the launch console just like the gen before. Vowed to never buy a launch MS console again.

I really don't understand people complaining about PC releases though why would i WANT to pay for other hardware to play a game. Unless you are a shareholder or shill there is no reason to want them to go back to xbox only games.

I understand dirtheads point though. MS had bullshited the PC crowd for some time before. Releasing PC games then not releasing the sequels on it and switching to XBox only. It was their way of converting PC strong regions like germany. The only reason we have PC releases too now is because the install base is needed. If the next xbox walled garden takes off you can bet your bottom dollar PC sequels aren't coming again.

I don't think so. The market has shifted. It was about unit sales back in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. Now it is about selling other stuff besides games, like subscriptions. They are going to continue to build their PC game offerings so they can offer gamepass to PC gamers as well.

AlexxKidd

My guess is they are drumming up enough Black Friday sales to look competitive, but limit them to keep profit margins from going red. If the Spider-Man bundle had unlimited supply, it would be the #1 console all holiday long, but Sony has no interest in winning NPD at the expense of $50-$100 loss per unit.

Actually that makes a lot of sense. There's no way they're not taking a hit on a $199 PS4 that includes SPIDER-MAN, a game most people buying a PS4 will purchase anyway. So they probably make the exact number of bundles they want, knowing it will sell out, but also knowing the hit they'll take.

The hope of course is those picking up that $199 bundle pick up some extra games, a DS4 and maybe PS+ while they're at it.

Three

I don't think so. The market has shifted. It was about unit sales back in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. Now it is about selling other stuff besides games, like subscriptions. They are going to continue to build their PC game offerings so they can offer gamepass to PC gamers as well.

Early 2000's is when? The only reason it's not about unit sales for them now is because they don't have it and their strategy has shifted. If unit sales come it will be about consumer lock in again. The walled garden. Look at any interview just months prior to XB1 launch and all talk was about sales. Even talk that didn't mention sales but games.

NickFire

Phenomenal is very subjective and that entire article looks like spin. What are the actual numbers? Unprecedented growth year over could be 1000 in year 1, and 100000 in year 2. Impressive growth, but wouldn't mean squat in terms of market share.

Thiagosc777

Early 2000's is when? The only reason it's not about unit sales for them now is because they don't have it and their strategy has shifted. If unit sales come it will be about consumer lock in again. The walled garden. Look at any interview just months prior to XB1 launch and all talk was about sales. Even talk that didn't mention sales but games.

Are you serious? Can't you see a difference between gaming in the 90s and gaming now?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd strongly suspect why the growth is "unprecedented" is that this is the first time that a luxury-priced SKU has been added to an existing platform line-up so close the the end of a generation.

Sure its going to show a big spike in revenue, and should help with overall hardware units sold, software sales too albeit to a lesser extent.

Post 24 hour 1 million launch the next time we got any open sales numbers was the 10 million shipped. The Titanfall month numbers were leaked and MS had to counter to clarify. They've been shy on sales almost since launch otherwise. Oh and I think we got something after Kinect was separated.

Stuart360

Jesus guys. I really wish we could have Xbox threads without the constant console war shite, by the same people by the way (take note for once mods).
I really wish NeoGaf would introduce seperate Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo sub forums to go alongside the main forum, where people can discuss stuff without console war shite (make rules that any console war shite means a ban only in those sub forums).

cireza

Microsoft has been building for the last years a strategy to shift the way consoles and games are sold, if this is not obvious enough.

The tweet is about the fact that yes, they are actually beginning to achieve results with this strategy. And yes, this is phenomenal.

Games and consoles have always followed a predetermined way of selling. The challenge here is to be able to create an ecosystem where you manage to sell the same number of consoles every year. Building a steady business.

This implies so many things it is of course a huge challenge to overcome. And everything Microsoft has been doing lately with Xbox goes in this direction :
- backward compatibility (all games play on all Xbox platforms, games sold for a longer period, don't look like they are old games anymore)
- game pass (library of games that will always be available to all Xbox platforms)
- play anywhere (align their releases with PC platform)
- cloud computing (same processing power available whatever the Xbox platform)

In the end, when all is set, they only have to release revisions of their hardware, all the things listed above being granted for the consumer. Which will eventually lead to the steady business they are looking for.

Last edited:

Three

Are you serious? Can't you see a difference between gaming in the 90s and gaming now?

Of course I see a difference but why go back to the 90s to see that strategy shift?
You don't need to go that far back. It isn't that old and it's used today. Read interviews from 2012 before xbox one launched.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...rtainment-platform-for-everyone-on-the-planet

You would see number one console and units sold everywhere. Obviously sales are important. It was actually Don Mattrick talking about games as services but that only works with an install base. Look at why Lionhead shut down

https://www.onmsft.com/news/fable-t...-store-instead-steam-says-former-lionhead-dev

It was a strategy shift. A company, any company, that can lock you into an ecosystem will lock you in but they also have to think about sales for software they create too. They will favour console sales because it means you will definetly buy from their store rather than someone elses. They have full control. It will happen again if unit sales for a given platform is enough to sustain game development on it exclusively. It's daft to think otherwise. These are business decisions not a 'wouldn't it be nice..' movement that went away with the XB1 launch.

HeadsUp7Up

I gotta say, the One X is the best console hardware I’ve owned. I’ve been very lukewarm on Xbox and hadn’t owned one until I traded a Wii U for an Xbone with a Kinect a few years ago. The One X is now my main machine and my Pro is an afterthought until I can get Spider-Man digital for less than $20. EA Access for $30 a year is a no brainer, Game Pass is second to none, and backwards compatibility is great. It feels like a PS3 turnaround to success but won’t have the sales numbers.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-x-performing-phenomenally-says-npd?amp

Xbox One X mid generation sales like the market has never seen before.

Congrats MS. Who said power isnt everything.

Edit: Sorry can a mod change the title. The words "Even if not" pertaining to Market leading somehow didnt stick.

2nd edit: thank you for title change mods!

Love threads full of sideways compliments and congratulatory "best wishes". Always a caveat when it comes to Microsoft. It always something they are doing awesome but it within Sony's shadow.

Can we just for once congratulate Microsoft on correcting the path after a very bad start to the generation. There's something to be said of a company who can be as big as Microsoft is and still look out for the best interests of its fans with it's pro consumer practices.

Notice how I haven't said one thing about power. If Microsoft did say that, they were correct. Power isn't everything. And to be honest, if you prefer Sony, you shouldn't be mocking Microsoft for saying that, because that's what Sony is saying RIGHT NOW.

Fuckin' Hypocrits.

LostDonkey

Love threads full of sideways compliments and congratulatory "best wishes". Always a caveat when it comes to Microsoft. It always something they are doing awesome but it within Sony's shadow.

Can we just for once congratulate Microsoft on correcting the path after a very bad start to the generation. There's something to be said of a company who can be as big as Microsoft is and still look out for the best interests of its fans with it's pro consumer practices.

Notice how I haven't said one thing about power. If Microsoft did say that, they were correct. Power isn't everything. And to be honest, if you prefer Sony, you shouldn't be mocking Microsoft for saying that, because that's what Sony is saying RIGHT NOW.

Fuckin' Hypocrits.
What the hell are you on about?

A.Romero

I don't get why it matters what platform sells the most. The important thing is that there is a healthy market that keeps growing and is giving us lots of options.

It doesn't matter how well the X is selling as much as it is that for the hardware and performance it's packing, it's a great deal. Lots of value.

This is coming from a gamer that doesn't own an Xbox console since the OG Xbox days ( I fixed a 360 and had it for a while but got stolen later on). I simply don't buy what I don't need/like for whatever reason but I'm happy that others get to enjoy games their way and even happier that we all have options.

We need a strong Microsoft presence to keep Sony in check so we better wish it's doing at least well enough so it is worth it for them to keep competing in this space.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't get why it matters what platform sells the most. The important thing is that there is a healthy market that keeps growing and is giving us lots of options.

It doesn't matter how well the X is selling as much as it is that for the hardware and performance it's packing, it's a great deal. Lots of value.

This is coming from a gamer that doesn't own an Xbox console since the OG Xbox days ( I fixed a 360 and had it for a while but got stolen later on). I simply don't buy what I don't need/like for whatever reason but I'm happy that others get to enjoy games their way and even happier that we all have options.

We need a strong Microsoft presence to keep Sony in check so we better wish it's doing at least well enough so it is worth it for them to keep competing in this space.

These are my thoughts too. Sony must be kept in check. For my sanity lol. I love PlayStation, but I don't want it crushing the competition.

No doubt the X is doing well, but not industry leading. This is NPD, not Microsoft making these claims. Why bash Microsoft over something they didn't even do?

Re: Sony, don't worry. The market always corrects for the arrogant front-runner. Microsoft will be behemoth in gaming during the 2020s, just not in the conventional console sense. Thinking Project xCloud is gonna be yuge.

Last edited:
Coming from someone who owns 3 Xbox One Xs and 2 PS4 Pros none of these statements mean shit without numbers.

As long as Microsoft is not making outlandish statements about sales, why would you care? NPD's goal is to drive traffic to their website or whatever. You all fell for it!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
As long as Microsoft is not making outlandish statements about sales, why would you care? NPD's goal is to drive traffic to their website or whatever. You all fell for it!

I didn't "fall" for anything in fact I supported these "phenomenal" sales by buying 3 at launch.

I would just love to see actual numbers.

I didn't "fall" for anything in fact I supported these "phenomenal" sales by buying 3 at launch.

I would just love to see actual numbers.

Microsoft failed at the conventional console gaming war, so they are changing the game with increased user attachment to services and streaming(Project xCloud). So you will never hear the # of units they sold directly from the horse's mouth. If that offends you to the core - I suggest you sell your 3 XBones now and save yourself the misery of being associated with this 'execrable' company.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Microsoft failed at the conventional console gaming war, so they are changing the game with increased user attachment to services and streaming(Project xCloud). So you will never hear the # of units they sold directly from the horse's mouth. If that offends you to the core - I suggest you sell your 3 XBones now and save yourself the misery of being associated with this 'execrable' company.

lol offends me? Dont get carried away I just like numbers is all not vague statements.

And I am quite happy with my X and my Pros.

I am not into console warring its childish.

Raitoningu

Banned
Uh, this is from a guy at NPD. Not PR from MS.

Didn't said that either, talking about the use of % in PRs, which means nothing

That NPD clown have been in some dumb war misleading people in resetera & twitter, he can't stand Sony selling more, so he try to paint everyone "winning"

Last edited:
Top Bottom