• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

Hawk269

If anyone getting a Rift soon lives in Central California and you are willing to host a fellow Gaffer to check it out, I would drive down and even by you lunch/dinner to try it out. I don't know anyone near me that is getting one and I need to try this out!!!

Evo X

I'm gonna be pissed if I have to wait that long. They've had months for production. How can they fuck up the launch? March 28th can't be just for KS backers.

Got my email 15 minutes ago. I hope that the "your order will be processed in the next 1-3 weeks" line is just a generic one for everyone. I'm pretty sure when I preordered it said it would ship in March.

I'm trying not to freak out, but this sucks. Having to preorder sucks, but not knowing exactly when the order will ship is even worse. First world problems I guess.
Seems like oculus just doesn't like letting people (who wanna give them their money) know what's going on.

Geedorah

Does anyone know, if my order is still on "Preorder" status still, and the payment method is PayPal - have I been charged already like with the Vive? I remember seeing the ~900USD charge, but I can't remember seeing the ~650 for the Oculus go through. Just gonna be a tight couple months with all these HMDs coming out - but so gonna be worth it.

Thanks in advance all.

Holy crap. Got the email as well.

And...

"Your Rift is almost ready to ship, and your order will be processed in the next 1-3 weeks. For some customers, your actual ship date may differ from the estimate you saw when ordering."

Mildly disappointed. We'll see. Order 613000026xxxxx. I thought I made March. Oh, well.

Dineren

Banned
26 as well and haven't gotten anything. Saw a couple other 26's on Reddit also mention the same thing.

I'm 26 as well and I received one about 20 minutes ago. I hope they add a ship date on the order history site if it is going to take 3 weeks. I really don't want to constantly check my email to see if I got lucky enough for it to ship.

Does anyone know, if my order is still on "Preorder" status still, and the payment method is PayPal - have I been charged already like with the Vive? I remember seeing the ~900USD charge, but I can't remember seeing the ~650 for the Oculus go through. Just gonna be a tight couple months with all these HMDs coming out - but so gonna be worth it.

Thanks in advance all.

I don't remember seeing a paypal preorder that doesn't charge immediately so I would assume so. You should be able to check your paypal payment history to see for sure though.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
My original DK1 order had that "ships in 1-3 weeks" type messaging when it was being prepared as well but it shipped and turned up within a week. I remember as I was surprised as hell by the package just having arrived as if by magic.

My original DK1 order had that "ships in 1-3 weeks" type messaging when it was being prepared as well but it shipped and turned up within a week. I remember as I was surprised as hell by the package just having arrived as if by magic.

Maybe it means it's shipping now but 1-3 weeks is also including overseas and customs?

artsi

Yeah, got the same shipping soon email.

Hope they are wrong about the 1-3 weeks thing. Makes no sense.

Order #34 btw.

Don't say silly things like that, you meant #24 right?

Otherwise I'm (#32) starting to expect my Rift soon instead of May :(

This is some good perspective to have, forgot about that being in the dk1 email. Cancel the pitchfork order boys.

Enordash

Don't give me this false hope, Tunesmith! ;)

I should stop complaining since some people do have a legitimately long wait ahead.

You have given me all the hope.

Edit: lol. You were quoted on Reddit.

You are the voice of hope.

YuShtink

The 1-3 weeks thing is a blanket statement to help cover their asses on the more isolated international orders. If it's like DK1 and DK2 the vast majority of the people who got this email now will have their Rift next week.

p2535748

I've been spending way too much time following all of this this week. I got the email a couple of nights ago, and my order has flipped to "shipped" though no tracking number i sup yet. I'm more excited about this than I have been about anything in gaming in a while (I have the Vive and PSVR pre-ordered too)

For the record, I was a KS backer (#212).

Enordash

I myself am getting a vive, but I can't wait til you all get your rifts. Can't wait for impressions

I'm hoping to give both their due in the long run. All the VR!

I do wonder how many people will double dip. I was this close to reserving the PSVR earlier today. That's kinda off topic though!

Well hopefully I can at least access the store and get some games loaded up and ready. I'll also have to set up a symlink from C: to E: so I'm hoping there's no real issue there (don't see why there would be). I'm actually the most hyped for Chronos right now I think!

Oh Shit, my bad! I was looking at the wrong number.

I'm order #23.

Giving people all the heart attacks! :)

Geedorah

You should be able to check your paypal payment history to see for sure though.

Been looking, couple times over the last couple weeks - haven't been able to see anything. Guessing it doesn't charge until later? Not a huge deal, just trying to keep an eye on it.

I'm an X33XX order iirc, so it should be a few weeks (at the earliest :()

I'm hoping to give both their due in the long run. All the VR!

I do wonder how many people will double dip. I was this close to reserving the PSVR earlier today. That's kinda off topic though!

Well hopefully I can at least access the store and get some games loaded up and ready. I'll also have to set up a symlink from C: to E: so I'm hoping there's no real issue there (don't see why there would be). I'm actually the most hyped for Chronos right now I think!
I double dipped with the Vive and psvr

TheRed

I think I'm gonna buy project cars when I get the rift even though I don't have a wheel to be completely immersed it just looks so nice to see in VR.

Foggy

'24 U.S. order, got my email!

VWfWpYS.gif

TheRed

Nice!

I bet it's still completely amazing with the controller.
I bet it is. It was either that or Chronos for the price but I want to know more about that game first, the combat seems very barebones with fighting like only 1 enemy at a time, hope they're just holding a lot of interesting stuff back for that one.

One of my biggest regrets is not getting the kickstarter. I was all in from the moment I saw Carmack with his Palmer-derivative headset doing interviews before the kickstarter even launched, but unfortunately I hesitated. I picked up a DK1 shortly after. Hopefully my 28xx order will ship early April rather than later.

Enordash

I bet it is. It was either that or Chronos for the price but I want to know more about that game first, the combat seems very barebones with fighting like only 1 enemy at a time, hope they're just holding a lot of interesting stuff back for that one.

I could see that being a concern with Chronos. I expect some of the launch experiences to be a little thin as is the case with many launches in the past. I'm planning on the pack-ins, Adrift and Chronos. Then I'll grab whatever is getting good buzz.

Top Bottom