• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

Cross-posting from B/S/T:

Is anyone interested in buying my Oculus Rift Preorder? From the email I just got, I seem to be in the first batch. Order number is in the 26 range.

Essentially, I didn't know that I even had an Oculus Rift Preorder until I got this email a few hours ago. I did put my information in about a minute after the preorders went live, but I got an error message, and I ultimately decided that $600 was too much for me anyway.

I'm not really sure how to price this—I do intend to make a profit, or I might as well just cancel the preorder. I'm going to ask for $850 initially, and if I don't get any bites in the next couple of days I'll lower it a bit.

Obvious caveat: Yes, I'm selling something I don't technically have in my possession at this exact moment. That said, if I can close a deal before the Rift ships, I can send it directly to your address, so that you get it ASAP!

I'd be careful about trying to change the shipping address. With all the orders they've cancelled to weed out multiple orders and even legit orders (as collateral damage), might end up with nothing.

Someone who has actually had to try might have different input, though

I'd be careful about trying to change the shipping address. With all the orders they've cancelled to weed out multiple orders and even legit orders (as collateral damage), might end up with nothing.

Someone who has actually had to try might have different input, though

Thanks for the heads up! If anyone could fill me in on how other legit orders have been cancelled, it would be appreciated. I haven't been following this at all since I (thought I had) decided not preorder. I'd assume I would be fine since I really did only order one, and there are plenty of normal reasons for wanting to change a shipping address

I kind of want to avoid having the package in my possession, if I can help it. Once I have the device in my hands, parting with it is going to be painful :(

AgeEighty

I have a low-end 28 order number and originall was given April as my shipping month. No email for me yet. I was under the impression that 27s had got March dates and I was right on the line... but it seems that's not the case after all.

I'm starting to worry that not only will I not get a push-ahead from cancellations, I may even slip back.

Ovek

7Member7
I'm starting to worry that not only will I not get a push-ahead from cancellations, I may even slip back.

Maybe... my order had a shipping month of June, if people's orders do miss the months that was listed when they ordered God only knows when I will get mine.

Cross-posting from B/S/T:

Is anyone interested in buying my Oculus Rift Preorder? From the email I just got, I seem to be in the first batch. Order number is in the 26 range.

Essentially, I didn't know that I even had an Oculus Rift Preorder until I got this email a few hours ago. I did put my information in about a minute after the preorders went live, but I got an error message, and I ultimately decided that $600 was too much for me anyway.

I'm not really sure how to price this—I do intend to make a profit, or I might as well just cancel the preorder. I'm going to ask for $850 initially, and if I don't get any bites in the next couple of days I'll lower it a bit.

Obvious caveat: Yes, I'm selling something I don't technically have in my possession at this exact moment. That said, if I can close a deal before the Rift ships, I can send it directly to your address, so that you get it ASAP!

200w.gif

BrettWeir

1 - 3 weeks kinda stung when reading it last night, but after sleeping on it, meh. Nothing I can do. Getting upset over something I have no control over (especially with them not even taking money yet) is pointless. I've waited decades for this. Another 1 - 3 weeks isn't gonna hurt.

At least I know I'll be getting my Rift before my PSVR :)

baphomet

Takes around 800w all together with two of the gpus. Id rather have some room than hit the limit with a 850w PSU. Also I may triple SLI down the line.

No, it definitely doesn't take 800w for 2 GPUs. If you were going to go triple sli you bought the wrong motherboard.

Just saying, people have no idea how much power they actually need.

Enordash

1 - 3 weeks kinda stung when reading it last night, but after sleeping on it, meh. Nothing I can do. Getting upset over something I have no control over (especially with them not even taking money yet) is pointless. I've waited decades for this. Another 1 - 3 weeks isn't gonna hurt.

It is probably time to stop refreshing the shop page hoping for a change, lol. It has been nice to see this thread pick back up with some hype though.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
It is probably time to stop refreshing the shop page hoping for a change, lol. It has been nice to see this thread pick back up with some hype though.

I wouldn't be surprised if people start getting shipping notices today. I also wouldn't be surprised if we don't.

The kickstarter editions shipped separately because they are technically a different SKU. They were "limited edition" (some imprinting on the case and maybe some other stuff idk).

Qassim

No email for me yet. I, despite trying to order from the second the pre-order went up - couldn't get my order to process for the first 20 minutes or so and as a result got a *31 order number.

Not expecting to get my Rift for weeks. Luckily I got my order in the first minute for my VIve, confirmed first wave in the UK, so won't be too disappointed with not getting the Rift straight away.

Well, we've been told straight from Palmer that some people who pre-ordered (not Kickstarter) should be receiving their units on Monday. So chances are that some of us who got the 1-3 Week email will be getting it on Monday.

I wouldn't be surprised if people start getting shipping notices today. I also wouldn't be surprised if we don't.

The kickstarter editions shipped separately because they are technically a different SKU. They were "limited edition" (some imprinting on the case and maybe some other stuff idk).

I'm one of the kickstarter backers and I'm still waiting on my shipping confirmation.

I guess it's a frantic time over at Oculus xD

Last I looked my Kickstarter order was still listed as 'Pre-Ordered' and not shipped.

So... maybe if you live next door to where they're shipping from. I'm not counting on Monday at this point myself.

Have you guys checked your order history on the new Oculus forums?

I saw this stuff in there:

Mar 8, 2016 Cirque du Soleil’s Zarkana
Mar 8, 2016 Oculus 360 Photos
Mar 8, 2016 Strangers with Patrick Watson
Mar 8, 2016 VR Introduction
Mar 8, 2016 Oculus Video

Mar 8, 2016 Oculus Video

Weird. I have the same.

I got my email last night. I was a 27 order number. Everybody even the luckiest guys that got the earliest numbers got that same email. I am fairly confident mine will ship next week, in fact I believe it will ship out on Monday. The question is what kind of shipping? I am holding out that by one week from today this thing will be in my house.

I got my email last night. I was a 27 order number. Everybody even the luckiest guys that got the earliest numbers got that same email. I am fairly confident mine will ship next week, in fact I believe it will ship out on Monday. The question is what kind of shipping? I am holding out that by one week from today this thing will be in my house.

For $30 shipping, I'm hoping it's two day and not 3-5. That size of box and weight is pretty light, so it seems it should be 'decent' shipping.

26'er here with no email yet.

Mar 8, 2016 Oculus Video

These are the things that come preinstalled with Gear VR as I remember. Maybe everyone has them. My order history on Oculus's website lists all the Gear VR stuff I have bought or downloaded. Haven't looked on the new forums yet though. For me those are all listed on Nov 20th which is when I got my Gear VR originally. Then everything else I've ever downloaded is listed on the same date or subsequently.

Compsiox

Banned
No, it definitely doesn't take 800w for 2 GPUs. If you were going to go triple sli you bought the wrong motherboard.

Just saying, people have no idea how much power they actually need.

Read more carefully. I didn't say the GPUs alone would use that much. Also it does support 3 way sli. Some people don't know what motherboard they actually need.

spannicus

Just cancelled my Vive preorder just gonna get the Rift. The software line up seems better on the rift to me. Cant justify spending 800 just to walk around.

He probably hasn't tries VR. Anyone who does knows how much immersion walking and 3D controllers add. Unless he doesnt care about immersion then whatever.

If your implied conclusion is that anyone who's ordered a Rift over a Vive either lacks knowledge or doesn't care about immersion, then might I recommend heading over to a Vive thread instead of shitting all over this one? Some of us actually know what we're doing.

He probably hasn't tries VR. Anyone who does knows how much immersion walking and 3D controllers add. Unless he doesnt care about immersion then whatever.

I've tried all 3 multiple times and can't stand walking around either, especially with the cables trailing. Plus it would be a nightmare reconfiguring my office to have enough free space, especially with stuff on the ground that would hook cables or my dog who may decide to start chewing on stuff.

For me touch was like the wii controls, cool ONCE but I just don't wanna play games like that. Maybe after a year of VR I will want it all to be more interactive, but for the first few hundred hours I just wanna sit with my xbox elite controller and play games.

I've been holding off getting a gpu waiting for a good sale, but I received the oculus shipping soon email. So I ended up ordering the EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0+. Planning on installing it this weekend and getting everything ready. I haven't looked in some time, as of today what is the current goto gpu benchmark/stress tester?

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I've been holding off getting a gpu waiting for a good sale, but I received the oculus shipping soon email. So I ended up ordering the EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0+. Planning on installing it this weekend and getting everything ready. I haven't looked in some time, as of today what is the current goto gpu benchmark/stress tester?

3DMark is really popular and has a free demo on steam.

Run SteamVR's or the FireStrike benchmark (3DMark), which takes into account your CPU much more.

mnannola

Article on developer.oculus.com just went up, with some more details on the Rift's use of asynchronous timewarp.

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/asynchronous-timewarp-on-oculus-rift/

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this.

So basically, even if the frame isn't ready, Oculus will detect how your headset is rotated, and show the last frame, but with the correct rotation? If this is correct, how can Oculus show what should be rendered on the screen with the new rotation? If my character looks right and ATW is needed because the frame isn't ready, how can whatever polygons and textures to the right be shown? Wouldn't each game have to implement something to tell the Oculus drivers what to show?

I must be off somewhere because that doesn't make any sense.

BrettWeir

Here all along I thought I was a 26'er.....just looked at order page and it turns out I was wrong. I'm a 25'er. I actually liked the ring of "26'er". Had a nice play on expanding beyond RPO Sixers.

Yes, this whole debacle is driving me insane to the point of posting things like this.

Top Bottom