• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

Phatcorns

26er here and got my email.

Your Rift is almost ready to ship, and your order will be processed in the next 1-3 weeks. For some customers, your actual ship date may differ from the estimate you saw when ordering.

Your payment will be processed when your order ships so we want to make sure we have your details right. Please check your order and review the following:

Do we have your correct billing and shipping information?
Is your payment information accurate?
Is your PC ready to power Rift? You can use our compatibility tool to check, or learn more about our Oculus Ready program.
Do you have an open HDMI port on your graphics card for Rift? You might need an adapter if the port is already in use for your monitor or TV.
Thanks for being part of the future of VR. We can't wait for you to see what's next.

See you in Rift,

The Oculus Team

When you guys say you got your email, do you mean the email that says "your rift is almost ready to ship, and will be processed in the next 1-3 weeks" or do you mean an email that says its shipping now? Yuuuuge difference between the two!!!

I'm order 26 range and I got the 1-3 week message.

When you guys say you got your email, do you mean the email that says "your rift is almost ready to ship, and will be processed in the next 1-3 weeks" or do you mean an email that says its shipping now? Yuuuuge difference between the two!!!

The former. The only people who've gotten actual "shipped" emails have been Kickstarter backers, as far as I've seen.
Edit: incorrect, as pointed out below. The order status changing to shipped is what people saw.

Battalion 26 here, no reports of emails. But that 1-3 weeks is not making me all that excited if there is 23, 24, 25ers still to have their orders filled. Looks like late April is more realistic ... will have to deflate the hype for now and just go back to waiting.

At least we may see some actual videos and get some information. I won't lie, I'm fairly salt over their handling of this release. All will be fine in a month (hopefully) but info is at a dead crawl and they seemed to have just shut their doors.

We all got the same 1-3 week email.

Wallach

Can anyone recommend a good racing wheel to go along with my Rift? Who's better, Logitech or Thrustmaster?

I went wheel shopping for VR myself not long ago and folks here helped me pick out the T300 Thrustmaster base. I wound up getting the set with the Ferrari Alcantara rim and the T3PA pedals. If you have the money I'd recommend going Thrustmaster over Logitech as they seem to use a better force feedback system.

I don't think anyone has actually gotten an email. It's the status on the order page has been flipped to "shipped".

Yeah. No shipped emails went out. A couple of days ago the Kickstarter backers received a similar email to the one we are getting now. I don't think it said 1-3 weeks though.

Yeah. No shipped emails went out. A couple of days ago the Kickstarter backers received a similar email to the one we are getting now. I don't think it said 1-3 weeks though.

Ah, that makes more sense. Also makes it seem like those whose order flipped to "shipped" are the only ones getting theirs on day one.

Which, if I'm being honest, starts to explain why they've kept mum on the granular shipping updates: the response from those not getting it right away.

Fularu

Banned
So I have an i5-3570k and the tool is telling me it's not meeting the recommended specs (needs 4590+)

Should I really pay attention to that? I was under the impression that the difference between those were minimal

Soi-Fong

24 here and I got the same 1-3 weeks email. Not too miffed honestly. My computer with a 980 Ti + 6700k isn't coming in until April 10th or so.

YuShtink

Na, that HP deal was too good to pass up.

That was a seriously killer deal. A 6700k and a 980Ti ALONE cost like 1100 after tax lol.

Built my rig a couple weeks ago. Although I'm still rocking my "old" 970 until Pascal drops. Ready for my Rift and I got a 14x11 space set aside for my Vive too. Officially VR-ready and waiting.

Bsigg12

That was a seriously killer deal. A 6700k and a 980Ti ALONE cost like 1100 after tax lol.

Built my rig a couple weeks ago. Although I'm still rocking my "old" 970 until Pascal drops. Ready for my Rift and I got a 14x11 space set aside for my Vive too. Officially VR-ready and waiting.

I was planning on just going with a 970 with a build until I saw that deal. Really glad I was able to go with a 980ti because it should be able to get most everything for this first year at Ultra settings. I'll definitely step up to the 980ti version of Pascal next year.

Soi-Fong

Should have built it. I'll have my rig done by Wednesday and ordered the parts today.

I got the computer for $1300 from the HP deal. Last I remember you can't get a 980 Ti + 6700k for that cheap.

Add to that my boss offered me a $1000 educational credit to pay for it leaving me with a $300 bill to pay.

I honestly can't complain. A kickass computer for cheaper than a PS4. Yup... I can't complain.

So I have an i5-3570k and the tool is telling me it's not meeting the recommended specs (needs 4590+)

Should I really pay attention to that? I was under the impression that the difference between those were minimal
Don't pay it attention. Run the SteamVR performance test. If that tells you you're good, you should be fine.

Sky Chief

If anyone getting a Rift soon lives in Central California and you are willing to host a fellow Gaffer to check it out, I would drive down and even by you lunch/dinner to try it out. I don't know anyone near me that is getting one and I need to try this out!!!

Haha, where are you in Cali? I don't get my Rift until next month but I'm getting a Vive in the first shipment

Cross-posting from B/S/T:

Is anyone interested in buying my Oculus Rift Preorder? From the email I just got, I seem to be in the first batch. Order number is in the 26 range.

Essentially, I didn't know that I even had an Oculus Rift Preorder until I got this email a few hours ago. I did put my information in about a minute after the preorders went live, but I got an error message, and I ultimately decided that $600 was too much for me anyway.

I'm not really sure how to price this—I do intend to make a profit, or I might as well just cancel the preorder. I'm going to ask for $850 initially, and if I don't get any bites in the next couple of days I'll lower it a bit.

Obvious caveat: Yes, I'm selling something I don't technically have in my possession at this exact moment. That said, if I can close a deal before the Rift ships, I can send it directly to your address, so that you get it ASAP!

Edit: sold it

Compsiox

Banned
Cross-posting from B/S/T:

I'm not really sure how to price this—I do intend to make a profit, or I might as well just cancel the preorder. I'm going to ask for $850 initially, and if I don't get any bites in the next couple of days I'll lower it a bit.
How to not sell something

Top Bottom