• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

Evo X

Seems the only people getting the Rift on launch day are Kickstarter backers.

Kind of misleading I think. If they were gonna do that, they should have just set a later release date and told KS backers they're getting one early for their support.

March launch turned out to be a lie for anyone that actually paid.

spannicus

Kind of misleading I think. If they were gonna do that, they should have just set a later release date and told KS backers they're getting one early for their support.

: ( so that means april orders are coming in may?

Yeah that's kind of pointless for the majority.

That's pretty much how I feel.

charpunk

Kind mad about the whole thing honestly. I get that they want to do something for their early supporters, but getting a free rift and getting them before people who paid full price is kinda disappointing for people expecting a march ship time.

Vesper73

Kind mad about the whole thing honestly. I get that they want to do something for their early supporters, but getting a free rift and getting them before people who paid full price is kinda disappointing for people expecting a march ship time.

Really? Without the Kickstarter supporters, you might have had to wait quite a bit longer indeed!

baphomet

Lol, you should be thanking them because you wouldn't even be able to purchase anything without them.

Evo X

I'm not mad about waiting and certainly appreciate the Kickstarter backers.

I'm mad about the misrepresentation of the release date and lack of communication from Oculus.

It's fine to be frustrated, but without Kickstarter backers we would not be on this journey. It's fair that the first people to believe in Oculus get theirs first.

Plus, they have until Thursday next week to deliver it to everyone who was originally estimated March. At least, that's what I'm telling myself. :p

nakedeyes

Banned
It does seem somewhat random. I'm backer ~6500 and clicked on the order form super quickly, and I'm somehow in batch 69 :(...

Biggest bummer is I am moving soon and will be without PC for 45 days in May. Hopefully I'll get to play at some point in April!

charpunk

I'm not mad about waiting and certainly appreciate the Kickstarter backers.

I'm mad about the misrepresentation of the release date and lack of communication from Oculus.

That's what I was trying to get at. Totally cool with them getting them first if they communicated how shipping was going to work.

LordCanti

It does seem somewhat random. I'm backer ~6500 and clicked on the order form super quickly, and I'm somehow in batch 69 :(...

Biggest bummer is I am moving soon and will be without PC for 45 days in May. Hopefully I'll get to play at some point in April!

Does batch correspond to which KS backers are getting the shipping notices?

I don't know which number is the batch number but I've got both 61 and 63 in my order number if that means anything. I thought KS orders were set aside for launch day for some reason.

nakedeyes

Banned
Does batch correspond to which KS backers are getting the shipping notices?

I don't know which number is the batch number but I've got both 61 and 63 in my order number if that means anything. I thought KS orders were set aside for launch day for some reason.
I was under the same impression. But I have seen a few charts like this:

https://m.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3zwhu0/order_number_to_shipping_date/

Dunno how accurate it is. Going by that chart, I am batch 69.. I don't think it's correct entirely or I won't get mine til June lol!

Man

If KS backers are added to the end we can assume (orders on chart start at 21XXX, mine is now 79XXX):
58000 Oculus Rift pre-ordered at least. Maybe.
Or as many as 79000 minus cancelations... or something.

Cartman86

Banned
Giant Bomb will be doing an all day stream of Oculus and its software on Monday, if any one is curious. It starts 7AM pacific.

Now now. We don't know that for sure.
It is a Rift stream for anyone who doesn't get the joke as they aren't allowed to say.

p2535748

I was under the same impression. But I have seen a few charts like this:

https://m.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3zwhu0/order_number_to_shipping_date/

Dunno how accurate it is. Going by that chart, I am batch 69.. I don't think it's correct entirely or I won't get mine til June lol!

This isn't right for backers. I was a 67 by that chart and got a shipment email (not just shipping soon, actual tracking number). I think it may depend on KS backer #. I was pretty early (#212), so perhaps they're interweaving the backers and the pre-orders?

Whatever the case, it's not the same as the pre-order numbers.

What I believe and hope has happened is that they have shipped all the kickstarter headsets plus some lucky early orderers, but they haven't entered all that shipment information into their site yet. At least that's what Cybereality seemed to be saying over on the official forums, and he's their official mod so I hope he wouldn't be spreading misinformation.

They didn't enter all the kickstarter orders into their system until around the time we got our e-mails from Oculus, hence our numbers being super high, but it's a different SKU so I don't think they'll be getting them mixed up.

Read through this thread:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/32097/kickstarter-backer-no-confirmation

Ordered 10 minutes into the ordering cycle and got a 29 order. No e-mail no nada. I really wish they would even say something along the lines of "We will ship some more on X date" Even if they're going to be vague about who's going to be shipped to on that date. My original order estimate actually said March too.

At this rate I'm expecting my Vive will arrive first.

Tinfoil hat thought: What if they only decided to ship to a very small number of people now and kickstarter folks as a publicity stunt to match the Vive orders arriving April 5th. When in reality they're nowhere near ready to ship these out until mid April? I mean the ship date system isn't up. Many of the people that have received e-mails have gotten them with a vague 1-3 week time frame. It looks in my conspiratorial perspective that they did this for publicity and to meet that March 28th deadline with no real intention of keeping it.

LordCanti

Hey guys...

Your order has been processed and your Rift is almost on its way! Look for a shipping confirmation email with tracking information soon.

Please keep this email handy for reference. If you have any questions or concerns about your order, please contact Oculus Support.

8 minutes ago. US backer.

I'm now in my happening bunker.

I hope this means it's shipping tonight for Monday delivery. We'll see.

Quantum

after reading the past posts I think the order number for kickstarters might not correlate with the shipping time.

- my batch number is 67
- kickstarter supporter in the ~4200's
- as I mentioned have shipping number (UPS), east coast USA.

I hope this means it's shipping tonight for Monday delivery. We'll see.

I received that e-mail about 36 hours before receiving my shipping number.

Just checked my order number on their site because I was curious:

"Order Status
Shipped"

No tracking number, but it says shipped. Now I'm fully in the happening bunker.

US backer with a really high number.

Well this is good to see, high number here too, I backed on like the last day. Looks like they might pull off fulfilling all the ks units being shipped next week /knocks on wood

LordCanti

Well this is good to see, high number here too, I backed on like the last day. Looks like they might pull off fulfilling all the ks units being shipped next week /knocks on wood

At the very least it definitely means they're not going by backer number. Hopefully they can get all of them shipped for Monday delivery.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any non US kickstarters get a shipping notice?

Nothing here. 70 according to that Reddit scheme, 9500ish late KS backer, UK

Kanhir

What Palmer Said

dNEH93u.png

What Palmer Meant

Top Bottom