• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift DK2 Thread

Some of these impressions are pretty worrying. The black smear thing has to be a software issue, right? Otherwise, how has no website mentioned it before now?

Edit: Oh, nevermind, just caught up with the last page. Well thats disappointing.

Ahzrei

Banned
Some of these impressions are pretty worrying. The black smear thing has to be a software issue, right? Otherwise, how has no website mentioned it before now?

Edit: Oh, nevermind, just caught up with the last page. Well thats disappointing.

They said on reddit they have a fix for it, but it isn't implemented yet.

Vuze

I agree it sounds a bit worrying, I haven't followed the first impressions when DK1 hit the world so maybe there have been similair issues that got resolved down the line. But how come nobody reported about that smearing effect/green area before? I mean, there certainly have been enthusiasts at DK2 demo booths who would notice it and Alien Isolation certainly sounds like a game that could be affected by that issue.

bj00rn_

Banned
I agree it sounds a bit worrying, I haven't followed the first impressions when DK1 hit the world so maybe there have been similair issues that got resolved down the line. But how come nobody reported about that smearing effect/green area before? I mean, there certainly have been enthusiasts at DK2 demo booths who would notice it and Alien Isolation certainly sounds like a game that could be affected by that issue.

It sounds there's a fix coming. Anyway, there's nothing worrying about it. This is a development kit. The DK1 was a POS device in itself but showed us a vision of amazing VR potential. I'm not expecting much more from the DK2. I only ordered the DK2 because I'm a VR enthusiast and see the added positional tracking and slightly higher res and refresh good enough to play around with for now. I do agree with you in that it's odd that "no one" noticed until now.

riflen

It's probably a combination of not even knowing the problem exists and therefore not actively looking for it, and the fact that the problem only appears under specific circumstances.

Maybe Oculus worked with those developers for the DK2 show demos to implement that software fix for the smearing

I'm more interested in reports of reduced FOV. I thought it was supposed to be larger?

Seanspeed

Banned
Maybe Oculus worked with those developers for the DK2 show demos to implement that software fix for the smearing

I'm more interested in reports of reduced FOV. I thought it was supposed to be larger?
I've only heard one person say the headset FOV seems narrower.

Other comments about narrow FOV seem to be about the camera and people losing positional tracking. Sounds like you ideally need to be several feet away or you'll constantly fall out of the camera's range. Which is hopefully something that can be dealt with for CV1 cuz that sounds pretty awful. With my current setup, I could sit a few feet back, but it would be a pain and I'd have to be a ways from my desk.

bj00rn_

Banned

"mrjazz's" pictures show that they are pretty similar, and with the DK2 with a slightly larger horizontal FOV.

CueiVeR.png
DK2

DK1

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't get a mail yet, but checked my order status and it switched to processing.

"mrjazz's" pictures show that they are pretty similar, and with the DK2 with a slightly larger horizontal FOV.

The FOV for DK1 doesn't make sense though, 96.67º and 80.25º would give you a diagonal FOV of 125.64º.
That's way off the official specs of 90º / 110º FOV.

Soi-Fong

So far my first impression is not that great, they have a lot work on before cv. 1.

1: got nauseous after about 30 minutes
2. With glasses the whole thing is very cumbersome
3. Screen door is still there but better.
4. For some reason I found dk1 more immersive, the shallow fov is killing the illusion.

I'll give it a few days but I'm not sure I want to work on something that's going to make me sick :/

This your first time trying out the Rift? There is something called getting your "VR legs." Also, did you calibrate properly for your IPD? Along with that, are you running at 75 fps since that's required to get low persistence.

Soi-Fong

He says he found DK1 more immersive (not something I ever expected to read), so I guess it's not his first time.

I'm not sure if its calibration or what. He's the first person I see say anything about a shallow FOV. We're gonna need more gaffers to chime in when the units come in.

Our own YuShtink didn't say anything about a shallow FOV.

He mentions glasses - perhaps DK2 is less suitable for glasses and you really need to get your eyes up against the lenses to see the full FOV?

Soi-Fong

He mentions glasses - perhaps DK2 is less suitable for glasses and you really need to get your eyes up against the lenses to see the full FOV?

A possibility also. I'm really nearsighted myself so I'm hoping that the second set of lenses work for me.

So far my first impression is not that great, they have a lot work on before cv. 1.

1: got nauseous after about 30 minutes
2. With glasses the whole thing is very cumbersome
3. Screen door is still there but better.
4. For some reason I found dk1 more immersive, the shallow fov is killing the illusion.

I'll give it a few days but I'm not sure I want to work on something that's going to make me sick :/

Only valid knock that is applicable to me is the glasses thing. I hope my glasses fit well.

The other points are either "well..yeah" (point 3), or not correct (point 4, its been proven to be pretty much the same as DK1), or personal (point 1)

bj00rn_

Banned

Yes I think so too. I wear glasses, but I wouldn't use them while wearing an OR. These devices are not made for them at all, in fact you'll destroy some of the immersion because it results in a considerable narrower FOV.

Edit: Ah, hmm contacts.. Well, I don't know..

Soi-Fong

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, want to bed after tinkering :)

About the fov issue, I was using contacts at the time. I kept adjusting the ipd settings but I couldn't make my fov wider. I'll keep adjusting today and report back. There's a reddit thread about this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2br2j4/lower_fov_in_dk2_and_other_impressions/

On the positive side, the smearing issue didn't bother me as much.

Have you tried to adjust the dials on the side?

RCSI

I'm not sure if its calibration or what. He's the first person I see say anything about a shallow FOV. We're gonna need more gaffers to chime in when the units come in.

Our own YuShtink didn't say anything about a shallow FOV.

FOV does seem shallow, however I do not have experience with the DK1 to know if it is normal.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Have you tried to adjust the dials on the side?

Yes, pretty cumbersome dials I might add. You need a coin to adjust them. I knows it's a dev kit but a knob would have been nice :)

Glasses are not a good idea. I can see the lenses being scratched easily with glasses on.

Once I walk the dog I'll play around some more

Also I'm having difficulty setting up extended desktop. The screens are being read as one so I'm missing a chunk in the middle. Running on a 780 2 monitors plus the dk2.

Jedi2016

Yes, pretty cumbersome dials I might add. You need a coin to adjust them. I knows it's a dev kit but a knob would have been nice :)
Not really sure they need a knob, it's not the sort of thing you'll constantly be tweaking.. more of an "adjust it once and never touch it again" type of thing.

Doc Holliday said:
Also I'm having difficulty setting up extended desktop. The screens are being read as one so I'm missing a chunk in the middle. Running on a 780 2 monitors plus the dk2.
They recommend using the Direct-to-Rift rendering mode, there are several issues associated with simply attaching it as an extra monitor using extended or mirrored mode. I picked that up just skimming the forums, I haven't even looked into it in detail.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

will be a huge redesign flaw if so and they will lose so many people.

anyone with DK1 and DK2 and uses eyeglasses can tell us about this?

Conezays

Interested in this too...I'm farsighted but hardly use my glasses, except for long periods of reading/computer use. Wondering if I'm better off just not putting them on.

Soi-Fong

The glasses thing is disappointing. Thinking size of glasses matters too. Id expect a fair few of the Oculus employees are four eyed so i would think this would be addressed.

paskowitz

Guys I just thought of genius idea for a VR game.

Virtual rock climbing. Imagine climbing an indoor rock wall and looking down to see a 1000ft drop... please tell me there is something like this.

Doc Holliday

After measuring the ideal IPD settings I'm still dissapointed by the field of view. I can clearly see the edge of the screen, it feels like I have black curtains that have yet to be pulled back. I'm surprised more people haven't commented on this.

I'll keep looking for fixes.

So they charged my card on thursday evening but it still says more order is ready and just waiting for inventory. Does that mean I didn't get in the first shipment? :(

Seanspeed

Banned
After measuring the ideal IPD settings I'm still dissapointed by the field of view. I can clearly see the edge of the screen, it feels like I have black curtains that have yet to be pulled back. I'm surprised more people haven't commented on this.

I'll keep looking for fixes.
DK1 had this as well, man.

Two things I expect many people to be disappointed by with VR if they aren't informed of the tech's shortcomings - the resolution and the FoV . Resolution will be improved, but the FoV thing is going to be a tough nut to crack, it sounds like.

YuShtink

Not really sure they need a knob, it's not the sort of thing you'll constantly be tweaking.. more of an "adjust it once and never touch it again" type of thing.

They recommend using the Direct-to-Rift rendering mode, there are several issues associated with simply attaching it as an extra monitor using extended or mirrored mode. I picked that up just skimming the forums, I haven't even looked into it in detail.

Problem right now is that all of the third party demos don't run well through Direct-to-Rift mode. Only the official Oculus demos. At least for me. I have been able to get Kokiri running good through extended desktop and Spirited Away and Totoro running pretty good. I'm getting a little bit of judder on those two in extended mode I think, but all 3 had a lot of tearing in Direct mode. Seems to be the opposite of how you'd think performance would go.

Regarding FOV: Horizontal fov does feel maybe 5-10 degrees narrower overall, but it's a pretty insignificant downgrade in my experience so far. In the DK1 I feel like I got just a tiny bit more horizontal fov when I had the lenses as far in as possible. Vertical FOV seems exactly the same. Would it be nice to have an upgrade? Yes. But it's far from a deal breaker. If the DK1 was 90 this is probably 85. Getting to 110 for CV1 would go such a long way, but would also stretch resolution even further. Clarity of the image and plenty of other aspects still make it far superior than DK1 imo.

Going to try Couch Knights in a bit and try to get Radial-G extracted properly.

Seanspeed

Banned
Regarding FOV: Horizontal fov does feel maybe 5-10 degrees narrower overall, but it's a pretty insignificant downgrade in my experience so far
That sounds like a pretty big deal to me. DK1's FoV was probably my biggest disappointment when first trying it. Being even narrower may not be a total deal breaker for me, but would be a major hype-killer.

Doc Holliday

DK1 had this as well, man.

Two things I expect many people to be disappointed by with VR if they aren't informed of the tech's shortcomings - the resolution and the FoV . Resolution will be improved, but the FoV thing is going to be a tough nut to crack, it sounds like.

I haven't tried the dk1 in a long time but I don't remember feeling like i was looking at a monitor, even with lower resolution. I remember going holy shit! As soon as I tried DK2 i thought "Im looking at a monitor with my nose pressed against it"

The presence/immersion doesn't feel as strong so far.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I feel confident in this being fleshed out before launch. Games are still being made but I do expect this to just work by the time things are final. Having to try fixes for everything is not something I want to worry about a lot.

ido

That sounds like a pretty big deal to me. DK1's FoV was probably my biggest disappointment when first trying it. Being even narrower may not be a total deal breaker for me, but would be a major hype-killer.

Yeah, this is such a weird thing to hear.

Some people are reporting it's a larger FOV, and others are saying it's smaller.

Whenever I installed a RiftUP kit in my DK1, I could tell the FOV was slightly less. It didn't kill the immersion, but I would much prefer the wider FOV with DK2. Really hoping people are just not remembering DK1 as well as they think they are.

Doc Holliday said:
I haven't tried the dk1 in a long time but I don't remember feeling like i was looking at a monitor, even with lower resolution. I remember going holy shit! As soon as I tried DK2 i thought "Im looking at a monitor with my nose pressed against it"

This is disheartening :(

RCSI

Your first impressions mirrors my first impressions as well in terms of "I'm looking at a monitor through wide binoculars with convincing stereo depth perception." I think that presence will be dependent on the type of demo and it will be fleeting as well, at least with the DK2. Immersion, I feel, is fairly good at this stage given the DK status. Still, as a wannabe developer
alright, enthusiast
, the DK2 is completely usable for making content with it despite the apparent FOV, black smearing and screen door effect.

Doc Holliday

Yeah, this is such a weird thing to hear.

Some people are reporting it's a larger FOV, and others are saying it's smaller.

Whenever I installed a RiftUP kit in my DK1, I could tell the FOV was slightly less. It didn't kill the immersion, but I would much prefer the wider FOV with DK2. Really hoping people are just not remembering DK1 as well as they think they are.

This is disheartening :(

I know! I'm going to wait to try a few more demos before my final verdict. It's good enough to work on projects with but if you just wanna play around definitely wait for the consumer version.

I'm going to try and find someone with a dk1 so u can compare. I'm sure there is someone here who has both and can let me know if I'm just nuts.

E-Cat

For what it's worth, CV1's fov is supposed to be increased.

Didn't expect the DK2 fov to be inferior to DK1, though.

ido

I know! I'm going to wait to try a few more demos before my final verdict. It's good enough to work on projects with but if you just wanna play around definitely wait for the consumer version.

I'm going to try and find someone with a dk1 so u can compare. I'm sure there is someone here who has both and can let me know if I'm just nuts.

As soon as mine gets here(next week, damn you UPS ground) I will compare the DK1, RiftUP DK1 and DK2 FOV and report back what I think.

ido

Yep I saw, I'm just worried that there's not a whole lot they can do on the software side of things to fix a hardware issue.

What I find strange is nobody reported this while playing EVE the past few months. Hundreds if not thousands of people gave it a try, and I didn't hear anything about this smear.

BladeSinner

Neo Member
What I find strange is nobody reported this while playing EVE the past few months. Hundreds if not thousands of people gave it a try, and I didn't hear anything about this smear.

Were they actually using DK2s though or something slightly more advanced/tuned though?

ido

Were they actually using DK2s though or something slightly more advanced/tuned though?

They were all using DK2's the past few months. Before that, Crystal Cove was used.

On reddit Oculus has said they are working on a software fix for it, though. I just think it's really odd how a dark game like EVE didn't cause the hundreds of people who tried it to comment on the smearing.

RCSI

Both EVE and Alien had a lot of dark scenes (at E3), however I did not notice any smearing when playing Alien. Albeit, I was not looking for it as well.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Man, this thread has killed a lot of the hype I had.

Yep I saw, I'm just worried that there's not a whole lot they can do on the software side of things to fix a hardware issue.
There are some concerns but let's come back to earth, things still sound great and the kinks are being worked out. This is kind of unprecedented for consumers to be able to buy these at this stage in dev. The unit isn't fina.

I don't think it's a massive issue and certainly something that can be addressed before launch.

Top Bottom