• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift DK2 Thread

YuShtink

Great read. The display stuff will hopefully be improved by release. Did you install tat package that was linked yesterday before plugging the unit in?

Yea that's Oculus Runtime. It works perfectly for the demos included in the SDK but not for Technolust (the only 3rd party demo I tried). Once every demo is compatible with this it's going to make running Rift software on Windows super easy.

If I try using the Rift in standard monitor mode I can't get anything to work properly, can't even seem to get the resolution/orientations of the desktops working correctly in tandem. But again I only had a couple minutes. But I do wonder how easily Mac and Linux people will be able to get it up and running properly, might be a bit of a pain. I'm going to bring it in to work Monday and see if I can get it running properly on a Mac tower.

DogMeat77

Was closer to like 3-4 feet most of the time. I may want to give more space.

One other thing I forgot to mention:

The true black smearing does seem to be a legitimate issue, while very minor. When I was looking up at the dimly lit wooden ceiling beams inside the Villa, as I moved my head around it looked like the shadows were moving around in a really strange manner. After a couple seconds I put two and two together and realized it's the deep black smearing a little bit. Or at least I think so. But it only seems to happen with very dark shadows.

This may or may not be relevant or help out but it seems that DK2 isn't necessarily getting automatically set to 75hz. You may need to manually set it to 75Hz in your display settings to ensure you are taking full advantage of the low persistence display.

YuShtink

This may or may not be relevant or help out but it seems that DK2 isn't necessarily getting automatically set to 75hz. You may need to manually set it to 75Hz in your display settings to ensure you are taking full advantage of the low persistence display.

I'm absolutely sure it was in 75Hz mode, I double checked before running to make sure. Everything that is lit is perfectly grounded and clear as I move my head. It's only happening to very deep black.

Hale-XF11

Was closer to like 3-4 feet most of the time. I may want to give more space.

Cool, good to know. I've recently cleared out a 6'x6' area in my game room specifically for tracking, so I'm anxious to do my own tracking tests.

Meanwhile, my DK2 is still in processing...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yea that's Oculus Runtime. It works perfectly for the demos included in the SDK but not for Technolust (the only 3rd party demo I tried). Once every demo is compatible with this it's going to make running Rift software on Windows super easy.

If I try using the Rift in standard monitor mode I can't get anything to work properly, can't even seem to get the resolution/orientations of the desktops working correctly in tandem. But again I only had a couple minutes. But I do wonder how easily Mac and Linux people will be able to get it up and running properly, might be a bit of a pain. I'm going to bring it in to work Monday and see if I can get it running properly on a Mac tower.

That's a bit worrying. Can you technically make the set mimic a 60" tv?

YuShtink

That's a bit worrying. Can you technically make the set mimic a 60" tv?

It all stems from the fact that the DK2 AMOLED screen refreshes top down, or when it's turned and put into a Rift headset, left to right. A normal 1920x1080 desktop is flipped on it's side in the rift, because the rift is 1080x1920. If I run extended monitor and switch the Rift's orientation to portrait, it's right side up - but then I have to make the Rift my main display for games to be visible on it, which puts the windows menu only on the Rift display, which is nearly impossible to see or read clearly without taking the lenses out. If I make my monitor my main display then nothing shows up on the Rift. When launching Technolust this way I could only see a portion of the image and I had no headtracking lol. Again, this was just from 2 minutes if messing around before saying fuck it I'll stick to Direct HMD mode and Tuscany.

Mr.Green

5 feet is respectable but it would be nice if shorter.

Yeah, I'm no expert but I think it would require pretty funky optics to give the camera a wide field of view at close distance.

What would be really nice is no camera at all. Carmack made a few tweets about inside-out tracking stuff a while ago so maybe they'll figure it out by CV1.

YuShtink

Yeah, I'm no expert but I think it would require pretty funky optics to give the camera a wide field of view at close distance.

What would be really nice is no camera at all. Carmack made a few tweets about inside-out tracking stuff a while ago so maybe they'll figure it out by CV1.

I really hope they can somehow. It would alleviate so many potential problems.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It all stems from the fact that the DK2 AMOLED screen refreshes top down, or when it's turned and put into a Rift headset, left to right. A normal 1920x1080 desktop is flipped on it's side in the rift, because the rift is 1080x1920. If I run extended monitor and switch the Rift's orientation to portrait, it's right side up - but then I have to make the Rift my main display for games to be visible on it, which puts the windows menu only on the Rift display, which is nearly impossible to see or read clearly without taking the lenses out. If I make my monitor my main display then nothing shows up on the Rift. When launching Technolust this way I could only see a portion of the image and I had no headtracking lol. Again, this was just from 2 minutes if messing around before saying fuck it I'll stick to Direct HMD mode and Tuscany.
Please test that when you get more time. Thanks for the insight.

That would change things for sure.

Krejlooc

Banned
OK guys was able to pick mine up from UPS at 8am and hook it up for just a few minutes before coming in to work. Quick first impressions:

Setup was a little rocky, but I was also rushing like an idiot. I still can't get it to work properly outside of Oculus Runtime's Direct HMD mode, and the only things that ran correctly through the Direct HMD mode were the calibration demo scene and Tuscany 0.4.0 (Technolust's DK2 Beta Demo doesn't run for me). I still have plenty of tinkering to do, but when the demo is compatible Oculus Runtime is a fabulous tool to have.

Anyways, onto the actual experience:

First thing I ran was Tuscany. It's back to the old non-Unity version with the nice particle effects and stuff, but immediately the crispness, clarity, and vibrance of the world stuck out to me relative to DK1. Everything is a lot clearer, and DAMN that low persistence makes head tracking buttery smooth. Really does make a huge difference in making the scene feel grounded in place. Havent gotten to test any text out though yet! Screen door is still noticeable if you are looking for it, but it's not nearly as pronounced as in DK1 and with the lack of image smearing it's a massive improvement overall.

Positional tracking is FANTASTIC - when it works. I know they are targeting the seated experience but I wanted to stand at least for my first demo, for fully accurate scale, like I did with DK1, because bottom line is it's just more impressive in a demo where you are a standing character. It works, but it's very easy to go outside the camera's bounds.

Especially if you lose track of which direction the camera is in real life, you'll quickly find yourself spinning too far out of tracking range, or accidentally just facing off-center enough that you lose tracking by glancing to one side. Can't really see anyone being able to play for more than a few minutes without frequently losing positional tracking while standing, which will be incredibly annoying (especially when a text prompt pops up EVERY TIME in Tuscany). So it looks like we'll have to get used to the seat for now, sadly.

All that said, leaning in the windows, bending over and examining the potted plants from multiple angles freely, all that stuff is fucking awesome. All in all, I'm definitely impressed. Just slightly annoyed by the single, relatively narrow tracking camera, but we all knew that was a limitation going into it. I'm also being highly critical here and already used DK1 extensively, so please don't take this as a hype killer or something. It's still fabulous and as other-wordly as technology can get. Can't wait to see more software updated!

Did you back Technolust? Try the new demo! Also, Radial-G is supposed to put out a DK2 demo this week IIRC.

YuShtink

Did you back Technolust? Try the new demo! Also, Radial-G is supposed to put out a DK2 demo this week IIRC.

The new Technolust Demo doesn't run through Oculus Runtime's Direct HMD mode for me. It shows up on my monitor but not my Rift for some reason. And I couldn''t get monitor mode working at all for any demo.

AND for some god damn reason the Radial G demo rar file refuses to extract, saying it's corrupted. So both were a bust this morning lol. WIll keep trying tonight and over the weekend though.

Krejlooc

Banned
The new Technolust Demo doesn't run through Oculus Runtime's Direct HMD mode for me. It shows up on my monitor but not my Rift for some reason. And I couldn''t get monitor mode working at all for any demo.

AND for some god damn reason the Radial G demo rar file refuses to extract, saying it's corrupted. So both were a bust this morning lol. WIll keep trying tonight and over the weekend though.

Have you tried playing around with UE4? Or Unity Pro?

Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to set up a sample room to test out.

solarus

Was really hoping it would have switched from processing to shipped when i got home today :/
I have a feeling I won't get it before I leave :(

Vuze

I really should stop watching all those unboxings and first-time reactions.

4bdc74ca95.png
for the foreseeable future.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Just received my package, just in time for my lunch break :). I'll try and give impressions from a fairly non technical person soon.

Soi-Fong

Kinda glad I don't have it yet. My order is currently in processing (10:03 AM PDT Order), but I'm already starting to see people not really being able to try much out with it.

Just trying to integrate the new SDK into my prototype right now.

Kinda glad I don't have it yet. My order is currently in processing (10:03 AM PDT Order), but I'm already starting to see people not really being able to try much out with it.

Just trying to integrate the new SDK into my prototype right now.

Yeah there's very little native DK2 stuff out yet

But are we able to play old DK1 stuff with it just without the full 3D head tracking? Like just using DK1 but with better res?

Soi-Fong

Yeah there's very little native DK2 stuff out yet

But are we able to play old DK1 stuff with it just without the full 3D head tracking? Like just using DK1 but with better res?

The DK1 demos people have tried out run the demos, but BOTH head and positional tracking are absent.

Tain

If a DK1 demo is built with SDK .3, I get that head tracking will be absent, but will the camera be used to prevent rotational drifting?

Blizzard

Banned
I hadn't heard about the 5-foot requirement. I'm four feet from a wall, and the MAXIMUM I can put a camera away from me is basically 2-3 feet.

12obin

Neo Member
Yaay! Oculus replied and they verified my payment (got an email saying my payment wasn't received, but the money was already withdrawn from my account). It's now on READY, so I guess that's the step before PROCESSING? :(

(ordered Mar 19, 2014 10:42 AM PDT in The Netherlands)

Guys when I plugin the oculus the display through the lenses is at a 180degrees so windows desktop through it is sideways. Anyone know why? Also what res should I set the desktop to? (Duplicated display)

Blizzard

Banned
Guys when I plugin the oculus the display through the lenses is at a 180degrees so windows desktop through it is sideways. Anyone know why? Also what res should I set the desktop to? (Duplicated display)
There should be some instructions somewhere (online?) and a software update to render directly to the DK2 instead of using it as a normal display.

I think there are one or two pieces of software / drivers that you have to install, and maybe a firmware update too.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Love this shit, i feel like i did when I got my first computer Apple IIe and trying to get a cassette recorder to work lol.

Evo X

12:53PM PDT order time and I already have my tracking number!

I thought for sure I wouldn't get it until next month, but looks like I'll have it in a few days.

Shipping to Chicago btw.

Lord Fagan

Just got the tracking number email.

11:19 AM PDT, East Coast

I can't wait, hopefully a few more demos will get updates before I have my DK2 in hand. I wanna check out that VR Cinema one really bad.

Top Bottom