• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift will have the ability to "stream Xbox One games" in "virtual cinema"

Alx

I hope they include Splitscreen multiplayer with other Oculus users.

I'm counter-arguing myself here, but there may be one positive thing of that feature and "partnership" with MS, when you consider streaming Xbox games : it would be technically possible to stream the 3D image perceived by an Xbox kinect to the player(s) wearing a headset, which would allow to include the 3D image of the other players in their virtual environment.

panda-zebra

What I'm assuming is, you can play a game with your headset while freeing up the TV. I don't think current gen consoles are capable of doing proper VR. Aren't the headsets supposed to be 4k or something?

joke post?

This is similar to playing your Wii U games on the Wii U touch screen controller. I think it's cool, especially if you have people watching something on your TV or if you want to play it while in bed away from the TV.

Isn't the xbox one supposed to be the device through which you consume all your other media? If someone is playing a game on it and streaming that to an oculus headset, can you still watch tv or other devices that are passed through it?

I think the point is not the virtual screen. It's just a marketing ploy to trigger this kind of press: http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/11/oculus-and-microsoft-love/ (tl;dr: the rift is to the xbox one what morpheus is to the ps4)
What they wanted is to put "Xbox One" and "VR" in the same sentence. I guess it's a success.

Morpheus has the potential to be a real differentiator to what are two very similar platforms and could easily be a reason to sway the undecided. Right now, what has been shown seems exactly as you outlined, we'll know for sure next week.

I hope one of the skins they have is an arcade machine with an old CRT tube display. That way I can play Killer Instinct the way it was meant to be played.

Low res and laggy?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was hitting more on the "cinema" part, but basically yes. People who have hundreds of dollars to spend on video game equipment tend to have a large display to play them on, myself included. It may not be "fake movie screen CINEMA EXPERIENCE" big, but it's an actual screen that actually exists and doesn't require thousands of dollars in computer equipment to simulate.

dead2.gif

it somehow gets even more pointless

spending thousands of dollars to simulate watching video at a lower resolution than an actual large screen would have

is this real life

I have a projector and 100" screen. But it dominates the lounge when in use, and my lounge is not painted black, nor is it fully light controlled. So while the experience is still great when we have family movie nights, in the summer especially it isn't ideal. Outside of those few people that can afford dedicated cinema rooms with full light control, you are always searching for better contrast etc.

VR is potentially a great solution for that. I can watch a movie/play a game in any room of the house, without worrying about whether I'm allowed to paint the walls black and shutter the windows. I get great contrast. I can have any size screen no matter what size my real rooms are. I can have perfect aspect ratio masking (also an issue when watching 2.35:1 on a 16:9 screen unless you spend serious money on a mask setup). Also for those that like 3D movies - perfect stereo 3D with no crosstalk and no light loss.

Resolution is a limiting factor, but as a home cinema fan with limited space in my house, VR could eventually be the best way to watch movies outside of the real cinema.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
instead of playing forza on her xbox one on her tv in her room, the woman streams the xbox one game to her pc and puts on the oculus rift so she can watch her avatar sit in a room playing xbox one on the virtual screen in the room

which is something no one would ever want to do

Her husband is watching 'Days of our lives' on the big TV in the lounge, so she can't play Forza. So she goes into the study where the PC is, because she knows she can stream Forza to her PC. But the monitor is a little small compared to the big TV, its just not the same experience. So she pops on the Oculus Rift and now she's playing on a bigger screen than they could ever fit in the house - perfect!

If you distil it down, its basically just remote play + virtual cinema. If each use case is valid individually, then I think they are also valid when combined. It does sound dumb if you go all Xzibit with the description, but each piece of the puzzle is pretty straightforward. Plus the stupid presentation didn't help.

leeh

This gets a big "Eh" from me.

Like, I can see the appeal if you play on a 90's 15" CRT, but I'd rather play on my nice 1080p Samsung rather than a fake screen.

Am I missing something here? Why even bother? This seems something more suited to hololens, as-in put the game on a virtual screen on a wall. I feel like this is MS just being like, "Oh look we do VR too guys! Look please look!"

This gets a big "Eh" from me.

Like, I can see the appeal if you play on a 90's 15" CRT, but I'd rather play on my nice 1080p Samsung rather than a fake screen.

Am I missing something here? Why even bother? This seems something more suited to hololens, as-in put the game on a virtual screen on a wall. I feel like this is MS just being like, "Oh look we do VR too guys! Look please look!"

What if the big tv is being used by another member of the family...

Theonik

I guess this could work out if your better half has claimed the TV.
Yes. The way I see it it's just a shittier version the the WiiU's off screen play.
And it's a very weird PR partnership imo. This should be pushed as a universal feature of the Rift.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I wonder if you can also pull your phone out and start texting. Maybe there are virtual characters behind you who'll be annoyed.

Hoo-doo

Banned
What if the big tv is being used by another member of the family...

So it's like a ridiculously clumsy and awkward remote-play that no-one will actually play games on.

I mean, it's fun and novel to simulate a room like that and be able to look around. But to extrapolate that into thinking that people will actually use it as an alternative way to play their Xbox one games is pretty delusional. You're wearing a clumsy headset, it requires a stupid amount of setup and the experience of the actual game is going to be diminished because of the screen-door effect, input lag and a low resolution. And for what, to be able to look around a virtual room?

Fun to tinker around with once or show some friends? Probably.
A legitimate alternative way to play Xbox One games? Haha, no.

Putting aside the convoluted XB=>PC=>VR streams aside...

Why a living room? Wouldn't the first best-case-scenario for something like this be a huge cinema or something?

Romir

Putting aside the convoluted XB=>PC=>VR streams aside...

Why a living room? Wouldn't the first best-case-scenario for something like this be a huge cinema or something?

Beats me. The Oculus GearVR virtual cinema has multiple venues to select from. I'd expect the same for the Xbox app too.

DvBj23I.jpg

Theonik

Finally PC gamers can get the FEEL of comfy couch from their mancave desks.
INNOVATION.

This and the Engadget article are ecatchy what Microsoft wanted.
In a Microsoft investor meeting:
"Sony is doing very well with VR, what is Microsoft's VR strategy? Sure we got something planned!"

Wait so let me get this absolutely crystal clear.

The XBO answer to PS4's entrance into the VR market is an app that doesn't actually use VR but instead. A virtual cinema via Oculus rift.

Someone please take a moment to confirm or deny this please.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

The XBO answer to PS4's entrance into the VR market is an app that doesn't actually use VR but instead. A virtual cinema via Oculus rift.

deny.

This is just part of MS' Windows push. They already announced streaming Xbox one games to PC, this team up with Oculus is just an extension of that.

this (Oculus) is not the VR answer from MS, it's just an exclusive feature co-developed for Oculus Rift users (PC), not XBOX One users.

there's no VR tech in that feature. and just a reminder, Oculus belongs to Facebook, there's no MS take in the product

Oppo

why wouldn't they at least make the VR screen like a gigantic drive-through screen. or hanging off a blimp. or anything but a dumb rich living room.

instead of playing forza on her xbox one on her tv in her room, the woman streams the xbox one game to her pc and puts on the oculus rift so she can watch her avatar sit in a room playing xbox one on the virtual screen in the room

which is something no one would ever want to do
I'll take two!

And trade them for a Vive...

GorillaJu

This to me looks like MS realizing they're way behind in VR, which is the next big gaming wave and doing a "something, anything" approach to keep from dropping into total irrelevancy.

piccolo85

I have a projector and 100" screen. But it dominates the lounge when in use, and my lounge is not painted black, nor is it fully light controlled. So while the experience is still great when we have family movie nights, in the summer especially it isn't ideal. Outside of those few people that can afford dedicated cinema rooms with full light control, you are always searching for better contrast etc.

VR is potentially a great solution for that. I can watch a movie/play a game in any room of the house, without worrying about whether I'm allowed to paint the walls black and shutter the windows. I get great contrast. I can have any size screen no matter what size my real rooms are. I can have perfect aspect ratio masking (also an issue when watching 2.35:1 on a 16:9 screen unless you spend serious money on a mask setup). Also for those that like 3D movies - perfect stereo 3D with no crosstalk and no light loss.

Resolution is a limiting factor, but as a home cinema fan with limited space in my house, VR could eventually be the best way to watch movies outside of the real cinema.

This man gets it! Unless you have tried it you shouldn't comment "lol what's the point?" here. VR gives you an actual sense for dimensions so this really "feels" like you are looking at a huge screen that is far away minus the smell and noise of other people when you go to a movie theatre.

The VR experience is IMPOSSIBLE to show in press conferences and trailers you watch on your PC screen. People with a large headset and open mouths always just look silly. I didn't get it until I tried an oculus DK2 and then it "klicked"! This is a real issue, they need demo stations at every retailer for people to experinece it themselves. The only major problem for me is still resolution. For me it is still 10-15 years to early. Until you can push 4k on every eye it is all a bit pointless.

Krisprolls

Banned
This to me looks like MS realizing they're way behind in VR, which is the next big gaming wave and doing a "something, anything" approach to keep from dropping into total irrelevancy.

That's exactly what happened. It's the good old smoke and mirrors Microsoft. You already find a few articles on the net speaking of Oculus as the Xbox One VR solution.

It worked with Kinect and Milo after all, millions bought it...

Helznicht

Well, if you ignore Xbox and think about Windows Microsoft is clearly ahead with two devices (Oculus Rift, HTC Vive).

This is the part I really dont understand. Why would they shun the Vive in this way for just for a little "Look, we can do VR in 2D" screentime. Seems it would have been much better for them to play both sides of the coin for a win-win.

The only way this makes sense to me is if they have an oculus running on xbox one, due to the fact they saw sony as a bigger threat than having vive as a partner. If there is no Xbox on oculus, you can mark it down as a huge blunder IMO.

Confirm lol, and anyone trying to argue or spin this otherwise ITT.. well you know what they are lmao.

First press conference of E3 and already I've been brought to tears with laughter, I can't wait for what's to come.

I wish there were more vids of the reactions from the VR fans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW-8VeSEsP4

Peoples are fucking dumb to negate this news. When they'll have their virtual IMAX sized screen to watch movies on their Morpheus, or play older games in that virtual cinema, they'll change their tune.

~350 ish $ for a 70x50 feet screen at home.... yeaaaaa same job as a projector /s

You can do that with your OR, you don't need to stream video from your xbone to your pc to your OR. Just watch video from your pc to your OR in your virtual cinema and leave the xbone in the living room.

You're making it sound like the xbone is essential in this set up.

Higher resolution, higher framerates, low latency are VR essentials. Imagine then a streamed, low res, 30fps feed in that headset, with tracking in your virtual room. Imagine the sick bucket you need to render to go with it.

I don't think anybody has a problem with Direct-feed VR cinema, but this MS 'solution ' is beyond ridiculous.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You can do that with your OR, you don't need to stream video from your xbone to your pc to your OR. Just watch video from your pc to your OR in your virtual cinema and leave the xbone in the living room.

You're making it sound like the xbone is essential in this set up.

of course it isn't. But for some reason people don't seem to be able to understand that this is a few different features stacked together, and they're losing their shit.

VR cinema is VR cinema. It'll be great.

Xbox games streaming to your PC is a thing already announced. The value you get from this will vary depending on whether you often want to play Xbox games when not in the same room as your Xbox.

This is just those two things stuck together.

Mivey

Why not you sitting on top of Earth, with the sun acting as a giant projector and casting the screen on the vast outset of space.

But I guess its cheaper to just model a room.

Why not you sitting on top of Earth, with the sun acting as a giant projector and casting the screen on the vast outset of space.

But I guess its cheaper to just model a room.

Once they have jacked into the power of clouds they will surely achieve this.

mjontrix

Once they have jacked into the power of clouds they will surely achieve this.

In all seriousness they might actually do that similar to how Nvidia are, as in using the Cloud to stream games at 1080p60fps using H265. Although then the Xbox One becomes pointless...

UltraJay

There are some "game room" VR apps out there that let you do this with emulated games and arcade machines so this isn't some new or out there concept... though in those you walk up to an arcade cabinet or sit in front of a CRT television with a SNES next to it or something.

I was thinking that could be a cool way to have an emulator front-end. You walk over to the system and put the game in the system instead of selecting it from a list. Like this

I think for some of this stuff I am just going to have to try it to understand.

In that "Alone" video above the guy said it might look small to people watching the video, but to him with the Rift on he was looking at a HUGE 60+ inch TV. He then exclaimed at how cool it was. So I guess it's pretty cool.

This is the part I really dont understand. Why would they shun the Vive in this way for just for a little "Look, we can do VR in 2D" screentime. Seems it would have been much better for them to play both sides of the coin for a win-win.

The only way this makes sense to me is if they have an oculus running on xbox one, due to the fact they saw sony as a bigger threat than having vive as a partner. If there is no Xbox on oculus, you can mark it down as a huge blunder IMO.

Valve is trying to divorce itself from Windows as much as it can (it's basically the entire point of SteamOS). Then you have the fact that Microsoft is going to be pushing PC gaming harder now and will likely be doing so through cross platform games on their own store instead of Steam and it starts to make sense that they'd be backing Valve's competition.

UrbanRats

why wouldn't they at least make the VR screen like a gigantic drive-through screen. or hanging off a blimp. or anything but a dumb rich living room.

The conference was specifically designed to be the most boring thing possible, that's why.

Case in point: You can watch movies on the moon, with Gear VR cinema:
oculus-theater-moon-100448140-orig.png

Or in a regular theater, like the example above.

Could be a fun gimmick, i guess.

When I watch movies, my ideal environment would be absolute darkness.

Why just a big TV? Why not a movie theater, a beach, a mountain top, the bridge of the USS Enterprise. Imagine playing Alien Isolation onboard the Nostromo with ambient sounds and the Alien occasionally coming into the room. People need to use their imagination with this. I suppose they could have demoed it better.

better yet

what if you were watching your Xbone stream in a simulated theater and then aliens burst in with jetpacks and shit and you had to fend them off with your pistol before going back to the video, and then an earthquake happens and you're all like O SHIT

would be groundbreaking

e1m1_02_small.jpg

The Hermit

better yet

what if you were watching your Xbone stream in a simulated theater and then aliens burst in with jetpacks and shit and you had to fend them off with your pistol before going back to the video, and then an earthquake happens and you're all like O SHIT

would be groundbreaking

e1m1_02_small.jpg

There is a game/ demo that actually does that. The virtual house is somehow conected with the virtual- virtual game you are playing.

Pretty scary

Top Bottom