• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift will have the ability to "stream Xbox One games" in "virtual cinema"

Sakura

Maybe I'm confused, but if the resolution of the Oculus Rift is 1080p, and the virtual screen only takes up half of that screen space, wouldn't the games look kind of shitty/low resolution? In real life you might be sitting 10 feet away from your 1080p TV. But in a virtual room you would be sitting 10 feet away from a TV that is like what 540p or something?

Well This is not something that I want to do, But also I feel very excited that Xbox ONE is partering with Oculus. That is what I want, a VR device to rule them all. To be used in the console and in the PC...I really hope that is the future

ss_lemonade

Wouldn't this be similar to those VR cinema apps, except you're playing games and not just watching movies? I get that this doesn't really make much sense but I was pretty blown away by the Gear VR cinema because it was actually immersive (and that was just on a Note 4 screen)

You guys don't get it. If you have multiple friends with Xbox Ones and Oculus you could sit in a virtual room together and play games. Halo5 co op with this would be awesome.

It's just seems like a novelty

Wow...the big MS selling point for Xbone players to buy the Oculus is that you can wearing some goggles on your head to play games in a virtual room but the games are on a 2D screen.

*crickets*

tumblr_n7eok6gPaE1qbzzylo1_500.gif

Eh? There are already virtual room/screen applications out there for VR. Morpheus will have this application as well. This isn't exactly a new thing.

Silvard

Those Xbox games aren't being run natively. It's just streaming from the Xbox one.

All they're doing is taking a feature from Windows 10, and instead of streaming the game to your monitor, it's streaming it to a window in a 3d room.

This is as stupid as it sounds.

I know, what I mean is that the game is going to be displayed on a fraction of a VR's display screen, and therefore a fraction of the resolution/pixels.

Maybe I'm confused, but if the resolution of the Oculus Rift is 1080p, and the virtual screen only takes up half of that screen space, wouldn't the games look kind of shitty/low resolution? In real life you might be sitting 10 feet away from your 1080p TV. But in a virtual room you would be sitting 10 feet away from a TV that is like what 540p or something?

This, basically.

Well This is not something that I want to do, But also I feel very excited that Xbox ONE is partering with Oculus. That is what I want, a VR device to rule them all. To be used in the console and in the PC...I really hope that is the future

This gives MS some time while they get their own VR solution in line.

So this is why microsoft took away split screen in halo, who needs split screen when you can all virtually be in the same room with the power of oculus?

The ONLY time i can see this being useful is that its an xbox solution fo offscreen gaming that sony and nintendo already have.

I can play Gears whilst my lass watches Judge Judy (sigh).
It would be better than remote play, but its a very expensive solution to the problem.

Seanspeed

Banned
Wow...the big MS selling point for Xbone players to buy the Oculus is that you can wearing some goggles on your head to play games in a virtual room but the games are on a 2D screen.

*crickets*
It's actually a pretty damn cool feature. You've never imagined playing a video game with a movie theatre screen?

darkwing

yes

PensOwl

Banned
This is about as tepid as a first step into vr can get. I can see how VR wouldn't be a "now thing" if you think this is the extent of its capabilities.

kungfuian

instead of playing forza on her xbox one on her tv in her room, the woman streams the xbox one game to her pc and puts on the oculus rift so she can watch her avatar sit in a room playing xbox one on the virtual screen in the room

which is something no one would ever want to do

Now if they could only go one level deeper and have that virtual room show you playing a game inside a room inside a game inside a room inside a facility for the mentally challenged wouldn't that be something....

I'm at a loss for words, I literally feel dumber knowing this exists!

Eh? There are already virtual room/screen applications out there for VR. Morpheus will have this application as well. This isn't exactly a new thing.

I'm pretty the idea with Morpheus would be that the games would be ACTUALLY BE IN VR. Granted there might be a living room/cinema application as well but so MS is just touting you spend $500+ to play your Xbone on a tiny virtual screen and the only thing VR is the room.

vpance

So wait, let me get this straight:

You need the Oculus (duh of course)
You need an Oculus-capable PC? (as in high-end gaming PC?)
You need an Xbox One

If that's the case, there are going to be so few people that have all three I can't possibly understand why'd they go through the effort of even developing this.

PRVR

This is interesting just to have the feeling of looking at a giant ass TV... But it's just that. Not really a feature that needed to be highlighted this much. It really looks silly.

The ONLY time i can see this being useful is that its an xbox solution fo offscreen gaming that sony and nintendo already have.

I can play Gears whilst my lass watches Judge Judy (sigh).
It would be better than remote play, but its a very expensive solution to the problem.

I wouldn't really call it remote play, or even necessarily better than remote play just yet, when you would have to have the Oculus connected to your computer to "remote play" your Xbox one games... Maybe "alternate room play" ??

It's actually a pretty damn cool feature. You've never imagined playing a video game with a movie theatre screen?

I would rather the comfort of not wearing a set of goggles just to play games I can already play on my TV, nevermind that the games are being streamed through your PC just to get to your Oculus.

Ugh.

alienator

Im gonna build a 1500$ ultra gaming pc
i will buy the oculus rift
and a xbox one console.

and then i will hookup my ps4 to the xbox one hdmi-in , streaming to pc, streaming to the rift and play bloodborne in VR..ish

I'm pretty the idea with Morpheus would be that the games would be ACTUALLY BE IN VR. Granted there might be a living room/cinema application as well but so MS is just touting you spend $500+ to play your Xbone on a tiny virtual screen and the only thing VR is the room.

Today Oculus is better than morpheus in RUNNING GAMES IN VR, we dont know if in the future Xbox ONE games could run in VR but this is a nice start... To know the partnering is pretty cool to xbox one users.!

Im gonna build a 1500$ ultra gaming pc
i will buy the oculus rift
and a xbox one console.

and then i will hookup my ps4 to the xbox one hdmi-in , streaming to pc, streaming to the rift and play bloodborne in VR..ish

You are rich :O

Yes, the ideal resolution is probably 8k for this, but we won't see that for awhile.

prwxv3

Today Oculus is better than morpheus in RUNNING GAMES IN VR, we dont know if in the future Xbox ONE games could run in VR but this is a nice start... To know the partnering is pretty cool to xbox one users.!

You do know that its the PC that actually runs the games and not Oculus right?

There's no misunderstanding here. It would be a no brainer for Sony to have this application for Morpheus. This kind of thing is a standard application for VR across the board.

Barzul

Who is this for exactly? Not quite seeing the appeal as someone who does own an Xbox and a PC that meets Oculus' requirements.

nded

This would only be of interest to me if they have a virtual movie theater where I can watch Netflix or Blu-Ray movies, but I don't really need an Xbone for that.

I feel like there's an important part of this story missing because this honestly looks like the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Instead of playing a game on your tv you're looking through an oculus and playing the game on a virtual tv?

^^^^ This is how I feel.

This seems to me like some sort of marketing/PR friendly feature so IGN can post headlines like "Stream Xbox One Games to Oculus Rift" to counter morpheus headlines from E3. Most casual/non GAFers will think they do the same thing and will think "PS4 has morpheus but Xbox One has Oculus now." When that couldn't be farther from the truth. This is no different than saying that Games With Gold will have two games a month on Xbox One so it was more inline with PS+, not mentioning That Pool FX will be one of those games for 3 straight months.

Its more of a novelty BECAUSE you have to have a SUPER powerful computer that would COST most gamers TOO much money. Then stream the games THROUGH their PC just to DISPLAY on the Oculus.

Novelty.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could see it being cool on a huge cinema screen, just like movies on the Rift, but why did they choose to show it on a relatively normal sized "screen"? That just doesn't make sense.

Stiler

edit - meant to post in other thread.

Streaming xbox one games sounds nice, but already have an xbox one so not sure it's a huge deal for me personally.

Top Bottom