• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift will have the ability to "stream Xbox One games" in "virtual cinema"

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
Seems a bit strange with the virtual cinema but would be using that to watch movies off the PC aswell. Interesting to Microsoft getting in with Oculus though.

jax

Banned
Your TV is comparable to a movie theatre? Ok.

I swear some people are downright *trying* not to understand the potential here. Not that it's totally game-changing, but VR cinema has been a pretty damn popular feature so far for owners of current VR headsets. Being able to play games in VR cinema is something a lot of these people have wanted to do. But I'm sure you know better....

Not if you don't have a perfectly good TV though. I currently game on a 720p Plasma from 2008. Something like this would probably be moderately better.

Considering a 1080p 120 inch projector is about 1/4 the price of an oculus+PC I'd say your money priorities are a bit off.

Kathian

Banned
instead of playing forza on her xbox one on her tv in her room, the woman streams the xbox one game to her pc and puts on the oculus rift so she can watch her avatar sit in a room playing xbox one on the virtual screen in the room

which is something no one would ever want to do

This can't really be serious right? I mean would this not force a PC to still do a lot of work?

Wulfram

While this does seem a bit silly if this is the ONLY connection Xbox has to VR right now, the concept itself is still cool. I sincerely hope that the PS4 does the same on Morpheus, with the whole PS4 UI and every game and app able to play on a virtual cinema set up which is customisable with different locations to sit in and play everything including movies, Netflix, YouTube etc on a huge VR screen.

Surely Morpheus won't do this with games because it'll take up a bunch of processing power.

I mean, it could do it with a second machine no doubt, but not with it's own games

Hoo-doo

Banned
Really a lot of you don't understand this?

It's a virtual giant screen. And when I mean giant I mean theatre-sized.

It already works really well for movies on existing devices.

And it will without a doubt end up a gimmick that nobody will actually want to play games on. It's such a ridiculous inception-like niche thing that it's hard to imagine they actually spent 5+ minutes talking about it on a stage.

commedieu

Banned
The XB1 runs the game. Your PC will power the VR cinema app.

Oh. I see it now.

I thought this was going to be VR for the Xbox one, rendering out 2 eyes.

So you're sitting in a room watching a non-stereo stream from your xbox, the PC App renders that into 2 eyes for your VR device, and you use the controller via the PC or the Xb1?

I wonder if the Xbox One is going to be able to have any actual multi-view VR. The hardware is going to be something to get around. I have doubts for the PS4, but its games have an easier time hitting higher resolutions and framerates it seems due to the hardware.

Thats the only thing that sucks about VR right now for consoles, I'm just afraid the hardware isn't going to be able to pull off the "ZOMG" that VR needs to sort of give it a boost. Sure the PC is going to have drop-dead VR stuff, but the PC doesn't have the exposure that Drop-Dead VR on consoles would have, promoting the field.

prwxv3

I really hope that if MS is serious about VR they don't just try to copy pasta Oculus onto Xbone and figure everything will work.

DorkyMohr

Banned
I can only think that this was an easy thing to cross off the list to get Microsoft on board with providing them with controllers. I can't imagine the feature getting any use.

And it will without a doubt end up a gimmick that nobody will actually want to play games on. It's such a ridiculous inception-like niche thing that it's hard to imagine they actually spent 5+ minutes talking about it on a stage.

It really depends on the screen quality and IQ.

As it is right now on DK2 you're right, it's a nice gimmick.

Silvard

My feelings on this is as I said in the Oculus + Xbox One controller thread:

This is kind of sad. It looks like Microsoft finally realized nobody told them about the VR party and they just want to be tangentially related/relevant somehow. Trying to hitch themselves into a wagon with only minimal effort involved. I'm sure Oculus is happy to oblige though.

Sir_Vival

"I don't remember PEWPEWPEWPEWPEW being a part of the Star Wars movies."
So can your friends virtually join you in the virtual room and play virtual split screen couch co op on a virtual couch?

They hinted towards that..but what's the point? You look over and see a 3D model of a person just sitting there. Woo.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Not sure why some people are having a hard time understanding this.

I happen to have a 106" screen for my projector that I play games on and it's awesome playing games at that size. I also have a 56" TV and it's not even remotely comparable. The projector and screen set me back a couple of grand, the Oculus won't be remotely that expensive. I realize you need the PC and Xbox as well but you don't need a powerful PC and you'd still need an Xbox to play Xbox games on your real TV so that cost is no different.

So right away not everyone has access to a screen that big and this would let you simulate an even bigger screen than that, which is cool. Secondly there are also times when I can't game on the projector for various reasons and this would allow me to (or anyone) to still get the experience of playing a big screen. I can even play while laying in bed.

I think it has potential and I'm guessing Morpheus will have a similar feature.

Vyer

Kind of surprised that so many folks at GAF of all places seemingly reject what would be some rather fundamental aspects of VR.

If you're looking at an increasingly immersive environment as this progresses, this is exactly the sort of thing that would become prominent. Entering the VR 'world', and doing these activities within it's 'shell', is kind of the point.

ss_lemonade

Considering a 1080p 120 inch projector is about 1/4 the price of an oculus+PC I'd say your money priorities are a bit off.
Theoretically, you could also stream the game to a virtual cinema or imax-sized screen, complete with proper lighting. Gear VR Cinema does this on phones and looks amazing if you've never tried it before.

Skeff

Im gonna build a 1500$ ultra gaming pc
i will buy the oculus rift
and a xbox one console.

and then i will hookup my ps4 to the xbox one hdmi-in , streaming to pc, streaming to the rift and play bloodborne in VR..ish

I'm pretty sure morpheous will likely have this exact same feature to display non VR games, if the feature wasn't previously planned it will be now.

Sakura

I get exactly what you both are saying... The quality of the actual streaming game would be much less than 1080p if you have the game taking up a portion of the Oculus' 1080p screen... A lot of the pixels on the Oculus' screen are filled with carpet and walls... You can't really have a 1080p resolution within a window on a 1080p screen and still retain the original resolution... At least when the rest of the screen is being filled with something else, like a virtual living room...

I still think the idea is pretty cool on paper... I was hoping these VR headsets would be used outside of VR applications, such as just simple displays to watch a movie on our something.. This is moving these headsets in that direction so good...

Sure. If the screen resolution of the Oculus was like 4k or more then I would understand.
But there are a lot of posts saying you would be able to play on an 80 inch TV or on a movie theatre screen. But rather than simulating playing on a big ass TV, it's more like simulating playing on a big ass low resolution TV. I don't know what would be so exciting about that.

Kodros

Everyone's so quick to be cheeky and dismissive. I have a 40 inch tv. Maybe with tech like this I could have a 80 inch tv. And maybe my friends can get their avatars in the room and suddenly split screen co op is no longer needed thanks Oculus.

Or, you know, just move closer to the TV. And the coop thing wouldn't work. It's streaming the real TV to the virtual TV. If the real screen is split screen, so is the virtual.

I happen to have a 106" screen for my projector that I play games on and it's awesome playing games at that size. I also have a 56" TV and it's not even remotely comparable. The projector and screen set me back a couple of grand, the Oculus won't be remotely that expensive. I realize you need the PC and Xbox as well but you don't need a powerful PC and you'd still need an Xbox to play Xbox games on your real TV so that cost is no different.

So right away not everyone has access to a screen that big and this would let you simulate an even bigger screen than that, which is cool. Secondly there are also times when I can't game on the projector for various reasons and this would allow me to (or anyone) to still get the experience of playing a big screen. I can even play while laying in bed.

The virtual screen is actually waaaay bigger than a traditional large projector screen (I use a 108" one in my dedicated room and the DK2 vr cinema app blows it away - only in size, for now).

Most people here obviously never tried VR.

And Oculus did a terrible work today, taking everything for granted.

MisterR

It's actually a pretty damn cool feature. You've never imagined playing a video game with a movie theatre screen?

It's actually a nearly useless feature. You have to have an Xbox One, and a pretty damn high end PC and a Rift and with all that you can play a 2D game in a VR living room. About 5 people may enjoy this.

I've given this more thought and this could be really cool if there were game specific virtual rooms. Like playing Halo on a virtual Pillar of Autumn bridge. Imagine sitting on a virtual bridge and playing the game on one of these screens.

fhfPdlE.jpg
It could be neat.

I'm confused as hell as to what's going on... Let me get this straight. So instead of playing games in your actual living room, you can play games in a virtual one?? o_O

I have tears in my eyes laughing at these reactions hahaha.

First stinker of E3 <33333 Can' wait for the rest.

Reallink

Everyone's so quick to be cheeky and dismissive. I have a 40 inch tv. Maybe with tech like this I could have a 80 inch tv. And maybe my friends can get their avatars in the room and suddenly split screen co op is no longer needed thanks Oculus.

The problem is the resolution, this has 1080x1200 panels and the virtual screen only takes up a fraction of those pixels so its effectively almost standard def in practice.

someone gif that trey parker+mark stone moment in e3 where they said, "i want to play my games on my smartphone, while being connected to the refrigerator, etc."

this is some next-level inception.

I'm pretty sure morpheous will likely have this exact same feature to display non VR games, if the feature wasn't previously planned it will be now.

The PS4 would have to render the room as well as the game. I don't see how it's possible.

EDIT: For existing games at least. Maybe lower spec indie games could do it in the future?

nynt9

This already achieved its goal in that my Facebook is full of people going "OMG XBONE HAS THE RIFT NOW SONY AND VALVE ARE DOOMED"

Maybe I'm confused, but if the resolution of the Oculus Rift is 1080p, and the virtual screen only takes up half of that screen space, wouldn't the games look kind of shitty/low resolution? In real life you might be sitting 10 feet away from your 1080p TV. But in a virtual room you would be sitting 10 feet away from a TV that is like what 540p or something?

Not only that, but looking up the resolution of the Oculus Rift consumer version, the resolution is only 1080x1200 per eye. So you've got a total pixel count that's a little higher than 720p but drastically lower than 1080p and then only a percentage of that is going to actually display the virtual TV.

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
I've given this more thought and this could be really cool if there were game specific virtual rooms. Like playing Halo on a virtual Pillar of Autumn bridge. Imagine sitting on a virtual bridge and playing the game on one of these screens.

It could be neat.

Yeah that would could be cool

Piggus

I don't get it. It simulates the experience of sitting at home playing an Xbox One game on the TV? Or they are Xbox One games in VR? If it is the former I don't understand the appeal.

No, it simulates playing on a huge screen. VR allows for that sense of scale.

RowdyReverb

If I were announcing it, I would have presented this program as a virtual home theater for watching TV or movies, and then announce the feature that takes advantage of the XB1 to PC streaming coming with Windows 10. This may avoid the confusion people appear to be having

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The virtual screen is actually waaaay bigger than a traditional large projector screen (I use a 108" one in my dedicated room and the DK2 vr cinema app blows it away - only in size, for now).

Most people here obviously never tried VR.

And Oculus did a terrible work today, taking everything for granted.

Yeah, even better.

Sir_Vival

"I don't remember PEWPEWPEWPEWPEW being a part of the Star Wars movies."

I also have a projector, and have always had one for probably close to 15 years. Hell, I even was the head of a class action lawsuit dealing with a projector.

This sort of thing - both the Xbox streaming theater and other "theaters" I've seen for VR - is absolutely pointless. If the Rift had enough resolution so the main screen could still be 1080p it would maybe make sense, but as far as we know it doesn't. So I'm going to sit in front of my computer and strap on a rift in order to look at a virtual screen that's probably no bigger than my 24" monitor is, relative to sitting distance, at sub-optimal resolution? Why? Why would I want to move my head to look around a fake room?

If the screen is big enough where I need to move my head to look at it, that's too big to play games on. I tend to shrink my projector down to about 100" when playing FPSes, as at my seating distance too much goes in to peripheral vision at any size larger than that.

For my own clarification, the Rift doesn't actually run on an Xbone, correct? And there are zero plans to? Like, I can't make anything happen with a Rift and an Xbone, no PC in the equation?

Kinsella

Banned
Not in the traditional sense. You'll still need a PC to hook up the Rift to.

Yep, and that's where it loses me. I have no interest in owning a PC, but I'd love to play console games on a virtual screen that big. If they ever find a way to cut out the middle-man (PC), I'm in. Saying people have no interest in this concept is totally and utterly wrong.

PS4 will get this feature for sure as they have Gaikai tech for streaming games, Remote and Share play already so its easy and basic for them to have. Also we get to see the output of the user using headset in TV so its kind of already exists.

Top Bottom