• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

scoobs

sonycowboy said:
Hardware

PlayStation 2 351.8K
PlayStation 3 280.8K
Xbox 360 254.6K

Get the F Out! How is the PS2 doing this?

1193787796190.gif

DevelopmentArrested said:
I'm only on Disc 2.. lemme play some more and I'll let you know.

I was just kiddin' anyway. I can see how they can grate. But an X-2 stye sequel where they're some kind of cross between The Osmonds and Menudo would FUCKIN' AMAZING.

"HELLO, NUMARA! ARE YOU READY TO GROOVE TO THE FUN-FRIENDLY CHOONS OF THE MACK AND COOKE EXPERIENCE?!?"

*bwanh bwenh bwa bwa BOOP BOOP*

Stumpokapow said:
Not counting FES, Lost Odyseey US + Japan has a SLIGHT SLIGHT SLIGHT lead against Persona 3 US + Japan... like, margin of error level slight.

I guess we should take into account the amount of 360s in the US and Japan against the amount of PS2s in the US and Japan if we're going to emphasis the SLIGHT SLIGHT difference in a new franchise only just released against a well know respected one. Lets not take into account the price of the products either, eh? Europe sales comparisons would be interesting also seeing as they were released on the same day.

Does anybody actually know the budget for LO anyway?

kbear said:
What Mr.Bob and others have said is right. It's an accessory and should be counted as one. If MS packed in Geometry Wars with the 360 controller or Sony Super Stardust with the Sixaxis, and charged $5-10 more, they would be in the Top 10 every month as well, according to NPD. It's still an accessory to anyone who has some common sense. What do you think people are going to buy, a controller or a controller with some mini-games for just $10 more? To compare it to something like Halo 3 is just ridiculous, in my opinion, because I and many others consider it an accessory. It's the remote + a handful of mini games. Almost all of your money is going towards the remote, not the mini-games. Anyone with a hint of objectivity would agree. I've made my point about this several times before and I really don't care to continue.
Wii Sports.

Son of Godzilla said:
Hexic HD comes with the harddrive. Best selling game of the generation imo.

kbear said:
Speaking of which, Hexic HD = best selling game of the generation. 10 million + copies sold! What an absolute software monster!

Actually, that's still Wii Sports.

Ariexv

Paracelsus said:
I'm sorry, but you're lying. Japan + USA = 308k copies, and if you expect it to sell more than 200k copies in Europe, you're pretty much deluding yourself.
It only had 18 days to sell in feb in the U.S and only came out in Europe the 29th.... and it's been near the top of the charts in Euro since then. 200k in 2.5 weeks in good for a JRPG, I don't know why your so hard pressed to make everyone think LO bombed or lost money.... when in Reality it probably sold alot more then anyone @ MS was thinking it would.

Also whats with the Counting Wii play as a game? If we go by that logic for the top selling games Minesweeper should be the #1 game of all time 10x over.

Shoryuken

Son of Godzilla said:
Wii beat the 360 in ratio in December due to Wii Play. Without it the 360 wins by as much as it loses with it. If you wanna keep claiming that as something meaningful, go ahead, but I doubt anyone cares.

Even without counting Wii Play the Wii still sold more software than 360 in December. As for January, who knows.

Narag

Zzoram said:
Who said they needed to sell 1million to break even, other than in reference to MGS4, where they also say stuff like 50GB isn't enough and they had to cut their game down?

Did Namco say that in reference to Dynasty Warriors Gundam? It was some ridiculous number.

What I dont understand is that with the install base and sales figures shouldn't the games chart be 1-10 ps2 games? How come the 360 owns the game charts? What are PS2 owners doing with their consoles?

sonycowboy said:
Top 5 worst NPD arguments

1) Wii Play is not a game
2) Tie ratio is not linear with installed base
3) Based on top 10 SW sales...
4) It only had 5 days of sales. It's going to do MUCH better next month.
5) Playstation Family sold ...

Can you start putting this in the OP?

Himuro said:
Finally a game I adore doesn't fucking BOMB and it DESERVES IT.

You failed me with Suikoden V. You failed me Yakuza. You failed me Valkyrie Profile 2. You failed me with God Hand. You fucking FAILED ME with Blue Dragon, Taito Legends 2, The Red Star...ON AND ON. You FAILED ME OVER AND OVER NORTH AMERICA.

BUT JUST THIS ONCE I GET THE LAST LAUGH
It still bombed, don't worry. 200k @ $60 isn't enough to recoup the $70 million it spent advertising on late night basic cable.

sonycowboy said:

:lol :lol

Frillen

sonycowboy said:

So all of them bannable memes from now on? kthxbye

Threi

notag
kbear said:
What Mr.Bob and others have said is right. It's an accessory and should be counted as one. If MS packed in Geometry Wars with the 360 controller or Sony Super Stardust with the Sixaxis, and charged $5-10 more, they would be in the Top 10 every month as well, according to NPD.

So? Why is that a problem? If they want to pack Geometry Wars with the 360 controller or Super Stardust with the SixAxis LET THEM. It will probably be top ten every month but who gives a crap? I don't see how it can get under your skin so much. "Bundled cheap game with controller sells well" SO WHAT?

kbear said:
It's still an accessory to anyone who has some common sense. What do you think people are going to buy, a controller or a controller with some mini-games for just $10 more?
To compare it to something like Halo 3 is just ridiculous, in my opinion, because I and many others consider it an accessory. It's the remote + a handful of mini games. Almost all of your money is going towards the remote, not the mini-games. Anyone with a hint of objectivity would agree. I've made my point about this several times before and I really don't care to continue.
The controller, thus the statement (not a celebration or a lament, just a STATEMENT) about it? Does it being compared to Halo 3 in sales de-value Halo 3 or something? You continually act as if we should ignore the fact that Wii play sells well, and anyone who doesn't is glad that it's selling. Like several people have said, they don't give a shit about the game. Why do you?

Zzoram

Narag said:
Did Namco say that in reference to Dynasty Warriors Gundam? It was some ridiculous number.

:lol :lol :lol

They crank out crappy Gundam/Dynasty Warriors games faster than you can blink, I highly doubt they have $40million budgets.

Firewire

Banned
bishoptl said:
I knew we were tracking very well weeks ago, but y'all fools kept hatin'. So my reaction is this:

My sincere thanks to everyone to who picked up the game and gave Turok a chance. I'm very, very grateful.
Congrats!

I loved it! I only wish more people purchased it!

I hope you guys plan on making another!

kbear said:
What Mr.Bob and others have said is right. It's an accessory and should be counted as one. If MS packed in Geometry Wars with the 360 controller or Sony Super Stardust with the Sixaxis, and charged $5-10 more, they would be in the Top 10 every month as well, according to NPD. It's still an accessory to anyone who has some common sense. What do you think people are going to buy, a controller or a controller with some mini-games for just $10 more? To compare it to something like Halo 3 is just ridiculous, in my opinion, because I and many others consider it an accessory. It's the remote + a handful of mini games. Almost all of your money is going towards the remote, not the mini-games. Anyone with a hint of objectivity would agree. I've made my point about this several times before and I really don't care to continue.

Hmmm, do you think Link's Crowbow Training should count in software?

Zzoram said:
Who said they needed to sell 1million to break even, other than in reference to MGS4, where they also say stuff like 50GB isn't enough and they had to cut their game down?

The statement concerning MGS 4 wasn't that it needed to sell 1m copies total to break even, but 1m copies its first day of sales to break even. And obviously no one takes that particularly serious.

But other publishers have said higher end games need to sell around a 1m to break even. I thought it was common knowledge. I guess I could search the web for the quotes but I have the flu right now and I'm too bloody lazy.

Dante

mr_bishiuk said:
What I dont understand is that with the install base and sales figures shouldn't the games chart be 1-10 ps2 games? How come the 360 owns the game charts? What are PS2 owners doing with their consoles?

Watching DVD's and launching missles.

Ariexv said:
It only had 18 days to sell in feb in the U.S and only came out in Europe the 29th.... and it's been near the top of the charts in Euro since then. 200k in 2.5 weeks in good for a JRPG, I don't know why your so hard pressed to make everyone think LO bombed or lost money.... when in Reality it probably sold alot more then anyone @ MS was thinking it would.

Also whats with the Counting Wii play as a game? If we go by that logic for the top selling games Minesweeper should be the #1 game of all time 10x over.

LO debuted at a similar amount as uncharted but uncharted came out in the holiday period, considering the type of game its done very well. Normally these type of games make their money in Japan though and sadly in Lo's case this aint going to happen. Overall though it will do a million+ in sales imo whether that means they break even or not I dont know

kbear said:
That goes both ways. There's almost always a free game bundled in with 360 / PS3 hardware.
There's a reason why Nintendo still uses in their Wii commercials.

Anyway my point is, Wii Play should count as a substitute for Wii Sports.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
sonycowboy said:

poundit_sm.gif

GremlinInTheMachine said:
First, it's been out in Japan for months and its sales legs there are exhausted.

Second, JRPGs sell poorer in Europe than in America, so I'm being generous by duplicating the American sales numbers to predict the European sales numbers.

Third, the game had to be pricey to make. Look at the talent involved and the game's complexity and length. Again, publishers have said that a higher end game needs to sell around a 1m to break even. Even if Lost Odyssey manages to sell 500k after its first month in America and Europe along with its total sales for Japan, that still means it needs to roughly double its sales to break even. Do you really expect it to sell 250k more in America alone? I think that's really, really optimistic.

i think you missed my post earlier. publishers say that because they give i believe 10-15$ of every game they sell to the console maker. this this is a MS game they dont have to do that.

and if you look at the Pal software thread you will see LO in the top 10 in many EU countries. its been in the top 10 in the UK for 2 weeks in a row.

Jokeropia

Back in stock, back on top.
Mrbob said:
I wish we could move WiiPlay off the software charts and onto the accessory charts. It is clearly being bought as an extra controller, and since we only get 10 slots a month for software sales it feels like a waste having it on the top 10 list.
Wii Play, like all successful games, sells because it's great value for what it costs. ($10 more than a standalone Wiimote.) Stop crying.

Narag

Zzoram said:
:lol :lol :lol

They crank out crappy Gundam/Dynasty Warriors games faster than you can blink, I highly doubt they have $40million budgets.

As I said, it was ridiculous. :lol

Raistlin

mildewproduction said:
LOL first month will be close, then 360 will pull way ahead. That is what huge user base does over tiny base.

Devil May Cry 4
XBOX 360-slow sales over time
PS3-No games everyone buys first week.

That is kind of illogical isn't it?

If PS3 has 'no games', then shouldn't the ones that are good have legs by virtue of the fact there aren't many desirable games available?

botticus

Nuclear Muffin said:
Oh and to that person who was asking about NMH compared to Killer 7, yes it has outsold it by a landslide! (K7 was about 26K on PS2 and GCN combined first month and then disappeared)
You'd be surprised what a game can do when it has disappeared for 2 years. Kinda ties into that whole "don't judge software sales by the top 10" bit.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
mr_bishiuk said:
Buying through all the gigantic catalog. Probably the total sw sales exceed the 360 ones, but they're scattered as opposed to being concentrated in a couple of titles, so they obviously don't show up in the top 10.

Zzoram

mr_bishiuk said:
LO debuted at a similar amount as uncharted but uncharted came out in the holiday period, considering the type of game its done very well. Normally these type of games make their money in Japan though and sadly in Lo's case this aint going to happen. Overall though it will do a million+ in sales imo whether that means they break even or not I dont know

No way Lost Odyssey breaks a million, but it will get to 600K+ by the end of the year.

Threi

notag
kbear said:
To think that I'm 'shedding tears' over it is a bit insane considering I'm defending Halo 3. I'm not exactly known as an 360 enthusiast around here.

Defending Halo 3 from WHAT? Nobody is bashing Halo 3. Why don't you go defend it from people who say its "Halo 2.5 lulz". Stating Wii Play will eventually outsell Halo 3 isn't an attack in no form.

Top Bottom