• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

gtj1092

Danielsan said:
What are you smoking. 500k is great especially for a Mistwalker jrpg on a primarily western focussed console. Not every game needs to sell over a million to make a profit you know.

Sheesh this is like the people pissing in Suda's cornflakes all over again.

[sarcasm]Yeah what is guy thinking that rule only applys to PS3 exclusive games or games we dont like. We all know we have to have different criteria for the games we love and include the "it did well for {insert rationalization}".[sarcasm]

With that said I think LO did great. We need more traditional JRPGs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Spirit of Jazz said:
:lol

Any comparison with how well Persona 3 sold? ;)

Not counting FES, Lost Odyseey US + Japan has a SLIGHT SLIGHT SLIGHT lead against Persona 3 US + Japan... like, margin of error level slight.

neptunes

GremlinInTheMachine said:
On average, what percentage of a games first months sales does a game sell during the rest of its sales life? I don't think that number is nearly as high as you think it is.
They're already planning on continuing the franchise, so it must be SOMEWHAT succesful

from their perspective anyway

kbear

Threi said:
You conveniently ignore his previous response to your last dumbass statement, and then proceed to post this.

You are a fine contributor to GAF.
What Mr.Bob and others have said is right. It's an accessory and should be counted as one. If MS packed in Geometry Wars with the 360 controller or Sony Super Stardust with the Sixaxis, and charged $5-10 more, they would be in the Top 10 every month as well, according to NPD. It's still an accessory to anyone who has some common sense. What do you think people are going to buy, a controller or a controller with some mini-games for just $10 more? To compare it to something like Halo 3 is just ridiculous, in my opinion, because I and many others consider it an accessory. It's the remote + a handful of mini games. Almost all of your money is going towards the remote, not the mini-games. Anyone with a hint of objectivity would agree. I've made my point about this several times before and I really don't care to continue.

Paracelsus

Zzoram said:
You are such a troll. Lost Odyssey having sold ~500K worldwide already, with potential for 100K+ more, is not going to "lose a lot of money".

I'm sorry, but you're lying. Japan + USA = 308k copies, and if you expect it to sell more than 200k copies in Europe, you're pretty much deluding yourself.

AirBrian

"Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild."

The thread title works on so many levels:

1) Because of the obvious...PS2 outselling PS3.

...but...

2) Also at the clever dig...Wii outselling the PS3 and 360. :D

kbear said:
What Mr.Bob and others have said is right. It's an accessory and should be counted as one. If MS packed in Geometry Wars with the 360 controller or Sony Super Stardust with the Sixaxis, and charged $5-10 more, they would be in the Top 10 every month as well, according to NPD. It's still an accessory to anyone who has some common sense. What do you think people are going to buy, a controller or a controller with some mini-games for just $10 more? To compare it to something like Halo 3 is just ridiculous, in my opinion, because I and many others consider it an accessory. It's the remote + a handful of mini games. Almost all of your money is going towards the remote, not the mini-games. Anyone with a hint of objectivity would agree. I've made my point about this several times before and I really don't care to continue.

Son of Godzilla said:
Wii beat the 360 in ratio in December due to Wii Play. Without it the 360 wins by as much as it loses with it. If you wanna keep claiming that as something meaningful, go ahead, but I doubt anyone cares.

Who gives a shit what it should be counted as; it's all moot and pointless. It is what it is. It counts and that's that.

So strictly going by the top ten, 360 owners were busy purchasing over 1,100,000 pieces of Software.
Question is what were PS3 owners purchasing BESIDES DMC4?

Danielsan

Paracelsus said:
I'm sorry, but you're lying. Japan + USA = 308k copies, and if you expect it to sell more than 200k copies in Europe, you're pretty much deluding yourself.
It was released on feb the 29th in Europe and has been hitting the top 10 charts on multiple countries including the UK.

Xenon

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE* ACTIVISION 7-Nov 296.2K 1
360 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 295.2K 2
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 7-Feb 289.7K 3
PS3 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 233.5K 4
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK* ACTIVISION 7-Oct 222.9K 5
NDS MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES SEGA OF AMERICA 8-Jan 205.6K 6
360 LOST ODYSSEY MICROSOFT 8-Feb 203.6K 7
360 TUROK TOUCHSTONE 8-Jan 197.7K 8
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK* ACTIVISION 7-Oct 183.8K 9
360 ROCK BAND* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS 7-Nov 161.8K 10

I don’t see why people are saying WOW over the PS3 being so close to the 306 in DMC sales. It was the main title for PS3 owners that month. The 360 was split between LO & DMC. Not to mention how well COD4 and the other titles did. I went LO over DMC, myself. If its still up there next month I have a feeling it will be a much bigger gap.

Hopefully MS drops the price of the 360 soon, I need to swap my out at Best Buy, soon. I getting sick of toweling it every 5 days.

kbear said:
Hexic HD comes with the harddrive. Best selling game of the generation imo.

f@luS

More than a member.
DiddyBop said:
DMC4 is already past 500k in NA alone,it should be nearing 1 million WW. Layton did great, how did Ace Attorney do?
its way past 1M ww.
510 K PS3 JPN/USA
350 K 360 JPN /USA

ALready 860k. Should be around 400/500K in europe right now, + add 2 weeks of this month in USA, should be around 1.5m

kbear

DevelopmentArrested said:
Who gives a shit what it should be counted as; it's all moot and pointless. It is what it is. It counts and that's that.
You sound like a child.

Son of Godzilla said:
Hexic HD comes with the harddrive. Best selling game of the generation imo.
Awesome! :D :lol

Zzoram

Paracelsus said:

308K copies as of the end of Feb. It's been hanging in the Europe charts quite well since it came out (PAL weekly threads). If it had similar legs in the US, it's at 500K already if not more.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
besada said:
Bishoptl, y'all happy with those Turok numbers? We rarely get a devs take on their own numbers. Want to give us one?
I knew we were tracking very well weeks ago, but y'all fools kept hatin'. So my reaction is this:

My sincere thanks to everyone to who picked up the game and gave Turok a chance. I'm very, very grateful.

Frillen

600k for an RPG with random battles is fantastic! I personally refuse to buy it because it has random battles.

Oh and it's not like the game has stopped selling. It will probably sell well over 300k in the US.

And ZOMG Wii and DS!!

LJ11

Discounting CoD4 to $40 at various points has really paid off. They're striking while the iron is still hot, cashing on new adopters and fence sitters.

Paracelsus said:

Indeed; most Europeans who were desperate for the game imported it. In any case, these are just first month sales. 300K is decent for any game at release.

Danielsan said:
First of all nothing MS does will help them break into the Japanese market and concidering they probably haven't even sold a million 360s in Japan 100k is not bad. Secondly this game did not cost 20million+ to make. 500-600k is a great first month number and the game will continue to sell more along the way.

Lay off the drugs man, seriously...

First, it's been out in Japan for months and its sales legs there are exhausted.

Second, JRPGs sell poorer in Europe than in America, so I'm being generous by duplicating the American sales numbers to predict the European sales numbers.

Third, the game had to be pricey to make. Look at the talent involved and the game's complexity and length. Again, publishers have said that a higher end game needs to sell around a 1m to break even. Even if Lost Odyssey manages to sell 500k after its first month in America and Europe along with its total sales for Japan, that still means it needs to roughly double its sales to break even. Do you really expect it to sell 250k more in America alone? I think that's really, really optimistic.

CitizenCope said:
So strictly going by the top ten, 360 owners were busy purchasing over 1,100,000 pieces of Software.
Question is what were PS3 owners purchasing BESIDES DMC4?

Top 5 worst NPD arguments

1) Wii Play is not a game
2) Tie ratio is not linear with installed base
3) Based on top 10 SW sales...
4) It only had 5 days of sales. It's going to do MUCH better next month.
5) Playstation Family sold ...

Narag

LJ11 said:
Discounting CoD4 to $40 at various points has really paid off. They're striking while the iron is still hot, cashing on new adopters and fence sitters.

I wish more publishers would follow this route too.

Zzoram

LJ11 said:

I noticed that CoD4 and Assassin's Creed are widely available at $40 sooner than usual for big titles, but I guess they are trying to keep sales momentum and hoping that word of mouth will sustain it at $40 for a long time.

i guess sony was dead serious when they say they want the ps2 to go head-to-head with the wii....look how that 8 year old console is STILL selling....not even $99 yet :WOW

Oh yeah, Apollo Justice sales figures please! (I know I've got my copy :D)

Oh and to that person who was asking about NMH compared to Killer 7, yes it has outsold it by a landslide! (K7 was about 26K on PS2 and GCN combined first month and then disappeared)

NMH in the US alone has outsold every single game Suda has ever made combined!

Danielsan

BenjaminBirdie said:
I'd chime in as well, but I love Random Battles. So I'd feel bad about doing so if he hates them...
The encounter rate is quite low and besides the overall experience is worth it even if you dislike random encounters (imo).
I hated Blue Dragon but LO deserves all the sales it can get.

AirBrian said:
"Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild."

The thread title works on so many levels:

1) Because of the obvious...PS2 outselling PS3.

...but...

2) Also at the clever dig...Wii outselling the PS3 and 360. :D
Yes, the stupid Wii dig is the intention. It doesn't make sense otherwise, and even then pointing it out this month like it's been any different from other month is confusing. But it's good to get back to the indecipherably dumb thread titles of a few months ago.

Zzoram

GremlinInTheMachine said:
First, it's been out in Japan for months and its sales legs there are exhausted.

Second, JRPGs sell poorer in Europe than in America, so I'm being generous by duplicating the American sales numbers to predict the European sales numbers.

Third, the game had to be pricey to make. Look at the talent involved and the game's complexity and length. Again, publishers have said that a higher end game needs to sell around a 1m to break even. Even if Lost Odyssey manages to sell 500k after its first month in America and Europe along with its total sales for Japan, that still means it needs to roughly double its sales to break even. Do you really expect it to sell 250k more in America alone? I think that's really, really optimistic.

Who said they needed to sell 1million to break even, other than in reference to MGS4, where they also say stuff like 50GB isn't enough and they had to cut their game down?

Son of Godzilla said:
Wii beat the 360 in ratio in December due to Wii Play. Without it the 360 wins by as much as it loses with it. If you wanna keep claiming that as something meaningful, go ahead, but I doubt anyone cares.
Wii Sports.

kbear

DevelopmentArrested said:
Yet, I'm not the one shedding tears over Wii Play.
To think that I'm 'shedding tears' over it is a bit insane considering I'm defending Halo 3. I'm not exactly known as an 360 enthusiast around here.

Speaking of which, Hexic HD = best selling game of the generation. 10 million + copies sold! What an absolute software monster!

Top Bottom